s4xon

I think I have to side with jj, much to my surprise!

From I've watched of our goaltending this year, Hiller is the type of goalie for this team.

Nothing against Ramo, I like him as a goalie, but his style isn't cut out for a kinda weak 3-4 and really weak 5-7D.

All Ortio did last night was stay in his net. That's the type of goalie that's effective for us. Hiller's had some bad games, but let's face it, he's a veteran goalie that chooses to stay deep in his net with this team.

Kudos to Ortio for doing the same.

Call it one game and 4 posts all you like, but he did what Hiller does and Ramo doesn't, he stayed in his net.

We're surprising with results, much of that credit goes to Hiller methinks. He's stoic back there so we can go and play with confidence.

He'd be a good tutor.

Bottom line, it was a great performance (posts or not), that more people should be happy on here about, rather than downplaying because it was one of our prospects.

Ever since Kipper, we've been weird with goalie prospects.   That's going to change soon.

It will be an adjustment, but a good one :)

As a goaltender, your job is to protect the net. If it hits the post, then it didn't go in and you did your job. Generally you like to play your posts to prevent odd bounces, but so long as you covered every part that could lead to a goal, you did what you had to. I think all the Van posts were to the outer side so no weird bounces.

Last night should give us some hope for next year, because by then we have to make up our mind on what were doing with Ortio considering his contract. Either we stick with him and continue to develop him in the NHL next year. Or we trade him.

Choose between Hiller or Ramo, then trade the other, Is what I would go with.

But for now Ortio can enjoy his time up with the Flames while he can, then back down to Addy to help solidify a play-off spot for them once ramo is back from injury.

Ortio posting a shutout last night is encouraging, but I want to see what he can do over a number of games before I am ready to say let's trade Ramo or Hiller. Lots of goalies come up from the AHL and play very well the first few games, but then once video gets around, teams will start to target weaknesses and the goalie starts to cool down. I am not saying that that is going to happen with Ortio, but I just want to see more.

Not sure Ramo has anything to do with last night's game, but:

Ramo quite frankly hasn't been very good, in NHL, period.  Some flashes of brilliance diluted in an ocean of inconsistency.

On one hand, Ortio's performance was only one game.  

On the other hand, it is consistent with his play since October, and his overall development curve.

I think we need to decide something:

With Ramo, he'll have a bad stretch of games as a 29 year old.  We'll say:   He need to play more and he'll get better.

With Ortio, he now has 10 NHL games under his belt, has beat out most of our regulars in those games, and has shown steady improvement (including this recent shutout).

Our response to the shutout cannot be "it was just one game".

Ortio's been a full time goaltender in our system for a long time now, and last night's performance should not come as a shock.  It wasn't just one game.

The question is:   If we really believe that the poor play of a 29 year old Ramo will improve if we just keep throwing games at him...

What will happen if we throw those games at a 23 year old who's already playing better than him?

Just wondering....

Anyway, it's really not about Ramo.   It's about Hiller and Ortio.

You say he is already playing better than Ramo. How do you see that? He gets a well-deserved shutout in the only game he has played this year in the NHL. Ramo gets b2b shutouts, but he does not deserve to play anymore? If he gets b2b shutouts and then follows it up a few more wins and I will agree with you. Until then, he is just another Flames backup that gets a win.

I haven't seen enough games with Ramo in net, where the team has played well in front of him to decide what his future is here. The same goes for Ortio. Age has nothing to do with it. Making timely saves does. Hiller hasn't shown enough recently to show he is deserving of the mantle. Both he and Ramo have given up a weak goal per game.

• Like 1

Bottom line, it was a great performance (posts or not), that more people should be happy on here about, rather than downplaying because it was one of our prospects.

Ever since Kipper, we've been weird with goalie prospects. That's going to change soon.

It will be an adjustment, but a good one :)

I think my people are positive. Most just aren't ready to start trading away players based on his success in a single game.

I wonder if he gets another start though. Ramo didn't sound serious and we have a rest until our next game. I hope they let Ortio start next game and see how he looks. But if Ramo is good to go he might not get that chance.

c84bc0e7883c46e921bd36a13f8d6edd.png

I’m not in love with Hiller (33 yrs) or Ramo (28.5yr), neither has out played the other IMO, but both have been doing a decent job.  Sure Hiller has 5 more wins but he also has had 13 more opportunities.  Ramo proved last year that he can play in this league, this year he started well but then had a couple of shaky starts resulting in Hiller getting the bulk of the opportunities.

---------------
Ortio is knocking on the door and has already negotiated a big raise next season, his chances are good to be here FT next year.  If we could gain some promising young talent this year in exchange for either Hiller or Ramo I’d be tempted.

---------------
Right now Hiller may bring us the best return, that would leave us with two fellow Finnish countrymen (Ramo/Ortio) to guard the pipes.  Not bad!

--------------- 
DET appears to be in the market for a GT.  Howard was stretchered off last night which looks like a severe groin pull.  Their backup GT has been out due to injury since early Nov which leaves them a 3rd string starter and a 4th string backup.  Maybe a deal can be had right now with DET?

DET appears to be in the market for a GT.  Howard was stretchered off last night which looks like a severe groin pull.  Their backup GT has been out due to injury since early Nov which leaves them a 3rd string starter and a 4th string backup.  Maybe a deal can be had right now with DET?

You might wanna check out Petr Mrazic, their 3rd string starter, and future in net.

I wouldn't be cheering too hard for "the monster"'s return if I'm a Wings fan.

I like this line of thinking, however Mrazek has been one of the hottest GT's in the AHL and has been developing steadily for the last few years. 

I’m not in love with Hiller (33 yrs) or Ramo (28.5yr), neither has out played the other IMO, but both have been doing a decent job.  Sure Hiller has 5 more wins but he also has had 13 more opportunities.  Ramo proved last year that he can play in this league, this year he started well but then had a couple of shaky starts resulting in Hiller getting the bulk of the opportunities.

---------------

Ortio is knocking on the door and has already negotiated a big raise next season, his chances are good to be here FT next year.  If we could gain some promising young talent this year in exchange for either Hiller or Ramo I’d be tempted.

---------------

Right now Hiller may bring us the best return, that would leave us with two fellow Finnish countrymen (Ramo/Ortio) to guard the pipes.  Not bad!

--------------- 

The Wild need a goaltender too. Enroth is said to be their current target.

You might wanna check out Petr Mrazic, their 3rd string starter, and future in net.

I wouldn't be cheering too hard for "the monster"'s return if I'm a Wings fan.

I like this line of thinking, however Mrazek has been one of the hottest GT's in the AHL and has been developing steadily for the last few years. 

I was out of country and missed last weeks DET game so I haven't had a chance to see Mrazek play.  Looking at his stats, he does look good.  The stage is now his, no one in front of him, lets see what he can do.  I think DET is still looking for a GT.        

---------------

---------------

--------------- 

I fully agree, a great opportunity on a deal that HAS to be made at some point this season. Trade Hiller, get a good, young D and a pick. That's a win-win for both teams.

The Canucks hit 4 goal posts, if my count is right. There was some luck involved in his shutout. Not trying to be negative. Just saying we should see a few more games first, which I agree everyone else is saying too.

I like to think that when opposing players hit goal posts its only because the goalie had everything else covered :) Its just good positioning :D

@ present Hiller/Ramo has us on the cusp of playoffs.

Ortio in a nice fill-in for now.

Decisions will need to be made during the off-season. As it stands we have Hiller for 1 more year, Ramo becomes UFA (but it's doubtful the market for 28 year old backups with barely over 100 games on their resume & lower end #s is high) & Ortio is under contract for another year before he becomes RFA. For now a good tandem with a reliable option in the AHL serves the purpose of making/attempting to make the play-offs.

That said I'd trade any one of them for help on D. Still leaves a decent tandem @ worst while improved D makes them play/look better.

Showing pride in the jersey makes me want to keep all 3.

Yet making trades of good parts for current help will show future UFAs that Calgary is serious for both the now & future. No "maybe in 5 years when you are retired we'll be good but we want you as a  mentor". Instead BT can say "We're moving on up (remember that line from a tv show) & think you can help us win the Cup".

I'm not talking about a SC this year or next but within the player's likely remaining career as a selling point. The further we go or closer we get to play-offs the better the chance of landing better UFAs rather than the dregs that will sign anywhere for a paycheck when it's apparent good teams don't want them.

• Like 1

@ present Hiller/Ramo has us on the cusp of playoffs.

Ortio in a nice fill-in for now.

Decisions will need to be made during the off-season. As it stands we have Hiller for 1 more year, Ramo becomes UFA (but it's doubtful the market for 28 year old backups with barely over 100 games on their resume & lower end #s is high) & Ortio is under contract for another year before he becomes RFA. For now a good tandem with a reliable option in the AHL serves the purpose of making/attempting to make the play-offs.

That said I'd trade any one of them for help on D. Still leaves a decent tandem @ worst while improved D makes them play/look better.

Showing pride in the jersey makes me want to keep all 3.

Yet making trades of good parts for current help will show future UFAs that Calgary is serious for both the now & future. No "maybe in 5 years when you are retired we'll be good but we want you as a  mentor". Instead BT can say "We're moving on up (remember that line from a tv show) & think you can help us win the Cup".

I'm not talking about a SC this year or next but within the player's likely remaining career as a selling point. The further we go or closer we get to play-offs the better the chance of landing better UFAs rather than the dregs that will sign anywhere for a paycheck when it's apparent good teams don't want them.

+1 but I would consider Ortio an "untouchable" and therefore I wouldn't offer him up in a trade. Hiller and Ramo, in my opinion, are not with this team 2 years from now so you move them for sure. Neither will get you a top tier D man like Ortio might, but then we shouldn't be trading a goalie for a D to begin with. You build from the crease out and we have plenty of options for moving forwards or picks to find a D man.

I think it's great that there are so many young guys pushing for spots on the big club.  I hope they let Ortio, run with it for as long as he can.  Ramo/Hiller is passable but there's room for improvement and it would be great if that came from Ortio.  I'd like to see him get several more starts before they think about sending him back.  Ideally, he wins a job and they move Hiller or Ramo for a pick or prospect.

I think it's great that there are so many young guys pushing for spots on the big club.  I hope they let Ortio, run with it for as long as he can.  Ramo/Hiller is passable but there's room for improvement and it would be great if that came from Ortio.  I'd like to see him get several more starts before they think about sending him back.  Ideally, he wins a job and they move Hiller or Ramo for a pick or prospect.

That would be great. Gonna happen sooner or later, so now is great. Better to know now while we've got the chance to make a move before the TDL.