s4xon

He really is making a case for himself. 

But, we've said this about other goaltenders too, and the Moment they disappointed us, we disappeared them.

Henrik Karlsson the "Calgary Tower", our savior, comes to mind.

Oh...and so does Ortio with his original AHL showing.

Then there's...cough cough...Baertschi.  Who nearly everyone was on board with starting the NHL early due to his point production.  In hindsight....it's a different story.   Now, when we think of how easy it is to rush wingers, multiply that by 10 and you have goaltenders.

Both Ramo and Berra started out with some tremendous pre-season and early season promise, and then reality set in as teams started arriving having reviewed their style, fully equipped with knowledge and instruction on the best way to score on them.

That will come soon with Ortio.  It is a real risk and our organization has a history of misinterpreting it.  Goaltenders have a history of their confidence getting shattered.  If we were going for a cup this year, I would say it's worth it.  Ironically, my guess is if we were going for a cup, management would go with a veteran like JMac.

It's a question of risk.   There is very little risk in developing Ortio slow.   Their are very real, dangerous risks of pushing his development too fast.   We will only know about them wen it's too late.  But it will be very hard to justify them in hindsight, with a "2014 cup run" argument.

I would ask if we're actually in a rush here.  Also, if Ortio stays up, there is the potential for the Heat losing their playoff positioning, or potentially even missing the playoffs.    And that potentially means 25 less games of crucial playoff development for Ortio this year.

Personally, I think the playoff development is more important than the early NHL development, if you consider our long-term goals.

Ortio has shown to raise his level in the playoffs before, and this is something that should be developed further.

If The Flames manage to work all of this out, and Ortio gets NHL experience AND playoff experience, great.  But this kind of thing usually comes at a cost.

All fine points but:

1.  I\d much rather Ortio develop stopping NHL shots vice AHL shots, he needs to be able to stop shots from the likes of Crosby, Ovi, Stamkos etc.   Not Morin, Abbott, Hoffman etc.

2.  And the reason for point 1 above is simple, remember Irving?  He was developed slowly and look how that panned out.

If Ortio is not getting majority starts in the NHL he should be sent down to get into the play-off mindset Troy Ward is instilling in the Heat team right now. With the recent/upcoming returns of players, some kids should be sent down here soon aswell.

With that being said Ortio IS getting majority starts, so he should stay. There's only 13 games left, the Heat is about to receive some much need reinforcements so I highly doubt they will lose a playoff spot, home advantage most likely, but they can get past that.

I kind of feel like a mediator of extremes, all the while being called extreme by both sides, lol.

I've spent 95% of my time on this thread saying Ortio is under-rated, and met with very harsh criticism.

Now, I'm saying "woah guys...he's not That good...at least, not Quite yet".....and, also being strongly disagreed with....

The one constant on here is that none of us ever agree.  And maybe that's okay.  Lord knows we can't get away with this at work or at home.

Personally, I find it odd that we were So, sooooo delicate with Ramo and Berra. "we can't make a judgement 5 games in..don't be so quick to judge....and adjustment period is needed"....etc......

Then with a 22 year old kid who has the potential to be the future face of our franchise...

"throw him in there!  Sink or swim!   If he can't handle the pressure he doesn't belong here!"

But whatever, it's all good, and fun to watch :)

Except no one is saying that. As of right now Ortio is playing well at the NHL level so he should continue to play at the NHL level. Is he struggles send him down but as long as he is playing well he should play and that's all I'm saying.

Except no one is saying that. As of right now Ortio is playing well at the NHL level so he should continue to play at the NHL level. Is he struggles send him down but as long as he is playing well he should play and that's all I'm saying.

Agreed. If he plays well AND he is getting starts you keep him up. Otherwise you send him down.

I know, you didn't...but you've always got this extra edge that keeps me coming back, lol.

I believe it was along the lines of.... if Ortio loses confidence, he's not an NHL goaltender anyway.

Common man! :)

I know, you didn't...but you've always got this extra edge that keeps me coming back, lol.

I believe it was along the lines of.... if Ortio loses confidence, he's not an NHL goaltender anyway.

Common man! :)

Please don't twist words. What I actually said was that if Ortio can't handle a single demotion there are serious problems because clearly he didn't have much to begin with. I would understand if they were to ping pong him around like Baertschi but you seemed to be implying we can't wait until he struggles and send him down because if will damage his confidence and if that's the case then Ortio was flawed already. This is professional sports and you have to be able to handle adversity.

I did reword your post....for brevity and some lite humor :)

I honestly don't see the difference in meaning....you're saying Ortio is flawed if he loses his confidence.

I agree that One demotion on its own is acceptable. Ortio has already been bounced around by this organization though....he's responded well but its impacted his development. He has played im the echl, ahl, nhl, and europe...in just the last year.

Just sayin. He may also continue to play great at the nhl level....and nothing would make me happier

• Like 1

Whats wrong? Its been Almost 24 hrs since news stated Reimer is going to ask to be traded at season's end and nobodys clamoring for us to be all over that???

But in seriousness, as far as Ortio goes, this is the perfect time to let him get nhl experience. While on the one hand yes, the mandate is to play to win, its a no pressure situation. Hes not going to affect our playoff position either way, he can play his game and even if he plays well and loses every game, so what. Then he comes to camp next year with a knowledge of what it takes. I think it makes him better.

But agreed, if he was shaky and getting roasted every game that would be different.:)

I've gone on record to keeping Ortio up with the Flames once Ramo is back but I find myself second guessing that.  I think I'd rather see him go back to Abby and lead that team into the playoffs.  I think that's better for his development.  He's had his baptism into the NHL now its time to go back and show that he actually learned something and start tearing it up in the A.  He'll get more playing time on the Heat than he will here when Ramo gets back.  Goalies need to play, its in their blood.

Edit:

LOL just heard on the radio that he was sent down.

To clarify he had to be sent down. He was an emergency recall and with Ramo back on the active roster he has to go down. I think the flames only have one recall left so I'm not even sure we will see him again but I'm hoping we do. Didnte play well tonigh but one bad game is not a big deal.

Fan 960:

Ortio was emergency callup when Ramo was hurt. He has to be returned when Ramo is ready to return.

JMac was a regular callup at the trade deadline when we traded Berra. He was not under the emergency recall rules.

So Ramo gets the start in Edmonton tomorrow. JMac will backup.

As for remaining callups Fan 960 says 2 left. 2 were used of the 4 allowed with JMac and Hanowski.

To clarify he had to be sent down. He was an emergency recall and with Ramo back on the active roster he has to go down. I think the flames only have one recall left so I'm not even sure we will see him again but I'm hoping we do. Didnte play well tonigh but one bad game is not a big deal.

I thought everything was "simple"?  ;)

Don't worry, this is awkward for me too.  I agree with a management decision.

Ramo has been great since he settled back into the NHL. Sucks that Ortio got caught up in a numbers game now with callups but its probably better for him to get lots of starts with the Heat for the rest of the season then split time up here with Ramo.

There was no "numbers game" at all.  Ortio was an emergency call-up, and had to immediately return to Abbotsford when the emergency was over.

There was no "numbers game" at all.  Ortio was an emergency call-up, and had to immediately return to Abbotsford when the emergency was over.

Yes and the numbers game is that the Flames only have 2 call ups left for this year and cannot afford to spend one on a goalie that will likely only see 2 or 3 starts at best. If there was not a call up limit the Flames would have reassigned him to the Heat per his emergency call up and then immediately waived Mac and recalled Ortio.

Ortio was okay but I'm not well sold on him.

Ramo's decent as well, but I'm not yet sold that he's a starter.

Macdonald I have no faith in. He's okay as a backup for now, but I'd rather have Ortio/someone else for a backup.

Of all our positions, I'm the most concerned about goal. If Ramo proves to be up to the challenge I'll be much less worried.

I'd rather we hadn't traded Berra and waited to see which one was better.

Ortio was okay but I'm not well sold on him.

Ramo's decent as well, but I'm not yet sold that he's a starter.

Macdonald I have no faith in. He's okay as a backup for now, but I'd rather have Ortio/someone else for a backup.

Of all our positions, I'm the most concerned about goal. If Ramo proves to be up to the challenge I'll be much less worried.

I'd rather we hadn't traded Berra and waited to see which one was better.

I think Ramo is better positionally. I always had more faith in Ramo between the two. I am ok with trading Berra for a 2nd. It's good value for what we saw this year. 

Ortio needs a bit more time. Who knows, maybe the two (Ortio and Ramo) can platoon in net. Take turns… One plays two the other plays two, or ride the hot one? I feel like Ortio is a smaller goalie, eventually teams are going to realize he takes away the bottom of the net and then score high a lot on him. We'll see.