s4xon

I have Millions stating Ramo is in net?

Maybe Millions interviewed Rob & Charlie and they said Karri Berra was starting.  Kare Bear for short. :unsure:

That twitter; one minute he says one the, the next he says something else.

Makes sense I guess.  Ramo can't get 3 games in a row - the universe would explode.

The Heat have been getting JMac in some games recently.  He's been decent.

Makes me wonder...a bit...if the Flames are hedging their bets.

And, makes me wonder in what direction.  Is Reto close to a demotion, or.....could Ramo possibly have trade deadline value?

imho, it's all nearly irrelevant.

The Heat have been getting JMac in some games recently.  He's been decent.

Makes me wonder...a bit...if the Flames are hedging their bets.

And, makes me wonder in what direction.  Is Reto close to a demotion, or.....could Ramo possibly have trade deadline value?

imho, it's all nearly irrelevant.

Only in your dream world JJ.  Only in your dream world.  Don't worry, Ortio will get his chance. :D

Berra and Ramo are here for the rest of the season. 

Only in your dream world JJ.  Only in your dream world.  Don't worry, Ortio will get his chance. :D

Berra and Ramo are here for the rest of the season. 

Why would I want any of those scenarios to happen, lol?  Ortio is getting excellent development right now with the Heat.   The last thing I want is any goaltending changes. 

For me, I'm living the dream.  Somehow, out of all the mess.

I doubt Berra has any value. But I also doubted Karlsson did so who knows.

I think Ortio will get a call up. It may only be for a couple of games. But I think the Flames will want to see what they have.

They have a big decision this summer on whether they should pursue a goalie. Seeing Ortio at the NHL level will help with that decision.

I doubt Berra has any value. But I also doubted Karlsson did so who knows.

I think Ortio will get a call up. It may only be for a couple of games. But I think the Flames will want to see what they have.

They have a big decision this summer on whether they should pursue a goalie. Seeing Ortio at the NHL level will help with that decision.

If Hartley is big on getting wins, why does he insist on playing Berra over and over?  Why doesn't he just send him down to the AHL and call up Joey as a backup. 

- Only play Joey once every 5 games. 

- Leave Berra in the AHL until he can battle through his positioning issues.

- Call up Ortio for 5 games and send Joey back down.

- If Berra figures out the game, bring him back up; if not, sign him to a one-year prove-it contract.

End result - you have played Ramo enough games to improve and to see if he is a keeper.  Berra plays as many games in the AHL and learns to win.  Ortio still plays similar amounts of games but gets to prove himself at the NHL level.  Or at least shows where he needs work.

After watching that game last night.. I wonder. Not putting the loss on Berra by any means but after Gio scored in the third you could feel the whole game change, the building was kind of electrified, then Berra lets in, IMHO, a softy and the let down was obvious to even those like me, watching the game on TV. 

It just took the wind right out of their sails. 

Kind of liking Byron though, he looks so little but plays so much bigger than he is! 

Ramo isn't ready to ready to carry the load. He is good for a couple of games and then has a game thats not good. I like the rotation in that if a goalie has a good game he plays again.

I have never been a fan of Joey Mac, I would rather have Berra up here than Joey Mac. MacDonald is a career 3rd stringer and right now he isn't even a good AHL goalie.

I am ok with giving Ortio a brief look when the rosters expand, but I look forward to seeing him have a deep playoff run with the Heat. (I need to find a way to watch Heat playoff games).

All the trade options for goalies, Neuvirth, Khudobin, Peters, etc. are not big enough upgrades to trade for. Miller is too old and expensive to be a consideration. Can Ward is a maybe but the injury history scares me. Reimer might be the best option and that is a little sad and says a lot about what the goalie market is right now.

With that being said we will have to settle for where we are in net.

Ramo isn't ready to ready to carry the load. He is good for a couple of games and then has a game thats not good. I like the rotation in that if a goalie has a good game he plays again.

I have never been a fan of Joey Mac, I would rather have Berra up here than Joey Mac. MacDonald is a career 3rd stringer and right now he isn't even a good AHL goalie.

I am ok with giving Ortio a brief look when the rosters expand, but I look forward to seeing him have a deep playoff run with the Heat. (I need to find a way to watch Heat playoff games).

All the trade options for goalies, Neuvirth, Khudobin, Peters, etc. are not big enough upgrades to trade for. Miller is too old and expensive to be a consideration. Can Ward is a maybe but the injury history scares me. Reimer might be the best option and that is a little sad and says a lot about what the goalie market is right now.

With that being said we will have to settle for where we are in net.

How would you know what he is capable of if he gets max 2-3 in a row, or after a win he sits?  Or after a win he plays game 2 of a B2B?

Last few games:

Loss to Preds 4-2 SV% .882 on 34 shots

Win over Carolina 2-0  SV% on 23 shots 

Loss to St.Louis 5-0  SV% .827 on 29 shots

Win over Avs  4-3  SV% .880 on 25 shots

Loss to TB 2-0  SV% .931 on 29 shots

Loss to Pitts 4-3  SV% .826 on 24 shots

Loss to Det 3-2  SV% .921 on 38 shots

In that stretch, he had exactly one loss greater than a 2 goal margin.  Say what you want, Ramo presents the best chance to win this season.

Right or wrong Hartley isn't ready to give up on Berra.  The Flames aren't winning hockey games so making sure they know what they have in their younger goalies isn't a bad thing.  I hated the rotation when Berra was getting 9 out of 10 starts.  But that isn't happening now.  

I am neutral on Berra staying up or being demoted.  Personally I don't think Berra is an NHL caliber goalie.  But I also think that Ramo is getting enough starts and Ortio is fine in the AHL.

Getting more starts is solely up to Ramo and Berra. Hartley has shown that if you play well you start the next game if you play poorly he'll give the next guy a chance.

Ramo hasn't shown that he is that much better than Berra to say that he should get 80% of the starts. When you look at their numbers they are still fairly comparable.

There is nothing wrong with our current goaltenders. Sure, berra hasnt been stealing wins, but he certainly hasnt been costing us games either. This is the real, post kipper world.

Keep an eye up in edmonton on scrivens.. super stats in La..hes gonna be, im betting, only slightly better than dubnyk and the stats he bribgs in are going to tank.

The goalies are making too many 2nd, 3rd, and sometimes 4th saves, being hung out to dry way too often. The reason we cough up games in the 3rd is because our defense is playing minutes beyond their skill level. This is exactly where we miss Jbo.

Im not saying berra has been lights out himself, but he certainly can't be taking the blame for losses either.

Goaltending is just fine..we need to work on defense next. Somewhere we need a 1-2 that would be 1-2 anywhere, not a basic 3-6 getting 1-2 minutes. Maybe that comes in the draft, maybe free agency or maybe burke swings a deal

I could take this thought one step farther and say the Flames have to be sure of what they have with Berra "this year". There is not the urgency with Ramo because he is on a 2 year contract.

Right or wrong Hartley isn't ready to give up on Berra.  The Flames aren't winning hockey games so making sure they know what they have in their younger goalies isn't a bad thing.  I hated the rotation when Berra was getting 9 out of 10 starts.  But that isn't happening now.  

I am neutral on Berra staying up or being demoted.  Personally I don't think Berra is an NHL caliber goalie.  But I also think that Ramo is getting enough starts and Ortio is fine in the AHL.

It would seem a bit of a waste to me to go through this year and still be undecided whether Berra was worth renewing or not. Even if he ends up an asset worth a pick and does not become a starter,  then they really have to know.

I think there is little doubt at this point that Burke will be looking to acquire some goaltending talent.

I would disagree. Unless he gets a shot at a bona fide all star, theres no goalie out there who would be a game changer over what we have.

Agreed, ramo was less than sharp last night..but so was Niemi.he had a bad game, oh well.

Until we hit a point where the 5 guys on the ice can compensate for a goalies off night we are just going to have to run with the status quo, because thats a sign right now that we need great goaltending just to be in a game which is totally unrealistic.

Like I said earlier, you could have miller and lundqvist back there and I don't think our record would be much different

Burke was correct in his recent interview with Eric Francis, his focus is on defense right now.

I think there is little doubt at this point that Burke will be looking to acquire some goaltending talent.

Makes no sense to look for a goalie right now.  There is not going to be any great deals with teams looking to make or stay in the playoff hunt.  Sellers will want too much for anyone decent.  We are not close enough to being a contender to waste assets at this point in the rebuild.  Burke has said there is no scenario he can see trading away our 1st rounder. 

As far as the existing Flames goalie talent goes, he has two goalies in the NHL that (at least one of them) are improving.  He has a possible future NHL'er in Ortio.  If none of those options help in the rebuild, then he looks for goalie to become the starter by next season or the following.  Sure he likes to build from the net out, but right now defensive struggles and D-zone faceoffs are still a killer.