s4xon

Ortio with a shutout tonight to make it 9-0 while he's in net. Granlund keeps up his strong play with a goal and assist tonight, he's really starting to turn it on.

6th best goalie in the AHL now....(save pct)....Wow.

Closing in on Gibson for rookie of the year.  In fact, in November they're tied at .927.   Nice work!

6th best goalie in the AHL now....(save pct)....Wow.

Closing in on Gibson for rookie of the year.  In fact, in November they're tied at .927.   Nice work!

Its amazing how people were like Gillies > Gibson, it seems Ortio is making his push to be better than him aswell.

Ortio has to be close to breaking a heat record as he's started off 9-0 in a rookie season.

So, our goalie situation is pretty good.

I believe the following will happen:

Ramo will go back to the KHL next season. Berra will stay in Calgary to battle the starting position with Ortio. This tandem will be on fire, because they will push each other to get better. Gilles will be battling the winner of Ortio/Berra. The loser may be traded for a piece we need to be more successful.

Kipper never had a backup that would push him to get better and become our work horse, not always to our advantage as our playoff stats after 2004 show. We now have a chance to give 2 goalies equal ice time in the first half or two thirds of the season and then make a decision, who will be the number one, if we are in the playoff race.

I think Berra has shown more than Ramo.

And Berra's mistakes are the coachable kind - over-committing, rebounds, etc.  He has all the tools to be a good goalie.

As for Ortio, I would keep him in Abby and let him play lots on a good team.  He is only 23 and the NHL could be a disaster for him if they bring him up too early.  The Heat could go deep in the playoffs, let Ortio run with that.

As many have said, our defense is awful and the goalies are seeing too many quality chances - hard to judge them in that environment.  But tit will play itself out.

As for Berra playing over 90% of the starts, that's ridiculous analysis.  It's only been about 10 games.  If he plays the next 20 in a row, then yeah, we have a problem.  But there is nothing unusual about playing 10 in a row (or whatever it's been). 

Ortio will not be battling for the Flames starting position next year and frankly him being the backup would be bad for this development. I hope barring series injuries to Ramo and Berra hes kept on the Heat all year to play as much as possible. 

In terms of this season, I agree that the best thing for Ortio is to stay on the Heat as their #1 and continue to build his skills/experience/confidence.   

Next season is a long ways away.   I believe anything can happen.

And I do mean anything.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hockey-east/2013/11/22/5135422/providence-goaltender-calgary-flames-prospect-jon-gillies-leaves-game-leg-injury-unh

In terms of this season, I agree that the best thing for Ortio is to stay on the Heat as their #1 and continue to build his skills/experience/confidence.   

Next season is a long ways away.   I believe anything can happen.

And I do mean anything.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hockey-east/2013/11/22/5135422/providence-goaltender-calgary-flames-prospect-jon-gillies-leaves-game-leg-injury-unh

Scared me alittle with that injury link, but it must of been very minor as he was in net the next day to win 4-2

I think Berra has shown more than Ramo.

And Berra's mistakes are the coachable kind - over-committing, rebounds, etc.  He has all the tools to be a good goalie.

As for Ortio, I would keep him in Abby and let him play lots on a good team.  He is only 23 and the NHL could be a disaster for him if they bring him up too early.  The Heat could go deep in the playoffs, let Ortio run with that.

Totally agree.   Except with the 23 years old part.   That's next season, isn't it?

As many have said, our defense is awful and the goalies are seeing too many quality chances - hard to judge them in that environment.  But tit will play itself out.

As for Berra playing over 90% of the starts, that's ridiculous analysis.  It's only been about 10 games.  If he plays the next 20 in a row, then yeah, we have a problem.  But there is nothing unusual about playing 10 in a row (or whatever it's been). 

Ramo doesn't look to be in Hartley's good graces at this point in the season.  Berra needs to get better than he is right now to be an NHL starter.  I agree that all the tools are there, but 26 is a bit late to be learning them imho, especially with the adjustment to North America.   If he was 22 and playing like this, I would be excited.

I'm not ruling out anything.

If I had to guess, then yeah:  I could see Ortio starting next year with the Flames, and Reto backing up.  Or I could see them splitting the time.    Next year may be a rough year.

I think we're starting to know what we have with Ramo, which isn't much, and we're getting a bit of feel for Berra.

Ortio:   Is back on schedule, really.  There was a time when we all had him slotted in as our starter when he turned 23.   He was that high on our prospect depth.   Then the 9-0 blowout in the AHL changed all that.   IMHO, he's back to that starter projection if he continues doing what he's doing.  Not that he needs to....he has lots of time.

Gillies is the real deciding factor.   When will he leave college?   How good will he be?  AHL?  NHL?  What year?  Is there the potential for him to jump the the Flames next year?   IMHO, no.  He's too young.   But of course, anything can happen.

Scared me alittle with that injury link, but it must of been very minor as he was in net the next day to win 4-2

Sorry bout that lol!  Just sayin....with this many goalies in our system, it's not a guarantee that they'll all be healthy next year.  Gillies situation looks minor.

Sorry....have to say it...Brossoit is over .900 since going to the Barrons in the AHl.

http://theahl.com/stats/player.php?id=4961

Early on, he is making a strong case for haunting us.  And Feaster just Had to take that risk...with Edmonton.

Gives me a headache every time I think of how the Flames manage their goaltending prospects.   Granted, we already had enough, but there was a lot more value to be had.

Sorry....have to say it...Brossoit is over .900 since going to the Barrons in the AHl.

Early on, he is making a strong case for haunting us.

Gives me a headache every time I think of how the Flames manage their goaltending prospects.   Granted, we already had enough, but there was a lot more value to be had.

I still stand by the point, that moving him was just plain stupid so early. especially for a smid return.

So, our goalie situation is pretty good.

I believe the following will happen:

Ramo will go back to the KHL next season. Berra will stay in Calgary to battle the starting position with Ortio. This tandem will be on fire, because they will push each other to get better. Gilles will be battling the winner of Ortio/Berra. The loser may be traded for a piece we need to be more successful.

Kipper never had a backup that would push him to get better and become our work horse, not always to our advantage as our playoff stats after 2004 show. We now have a chance to give 2 goalies equal ice time in the first half or two thirds of the season and then make a decision, who will be the number one, if we are in the playoff race.

Couple issues here:

1. Ramo is signed for 2 years, and contrary to anything I've been able to find, does not have a khl out clause. You are likely looking at the Berra/Ramo tandem through next season. And although I disagree with how the workload is being distributed currently, Berra is clearly winning the #1 role

2. Ortio is not nhl ready, and we dont need to rush him. One more year as the guy in Abbotsford is needed with porentially spot duty in calgary

3. Not sure but I think Gillies has another year of college, but if he does go pro, should become the guy in Alaska with Roy backing up Ortio in abbotsford.

Couple issues here:

1. Ramo is signed for 2 years, and contrary to anything I've been able to find, does not have a khl out clause. You are likely looking at the Berra/Ramo tandem through next season. And although I disagree with how the workload is being distributed currently, Berra is clearly winning the #1 role

2. Ortio is not nhl ready, and we dont need to rush him. One more year as the guy in Abbotsford is needed with porentially spot duty in calgary

3. Not sure but I think Gillies has another year of college, but if he does go pro, should become the guy in Alaska with Roy backing up Ortio in abbotsford.

Ramo doesnt need a KHL out clause, He could very well just walk away from the NHL if he truely cant handle playing in it.

He's not trapped here over a contract like that.

Couple issues here:

We say "Clause", but we don't really mean it.  Like, Iginla had a no trade clause.  But a mutual agreement can change it.  

The Flames and Ramo probably had a verbal agreement that he could leave after the first year if both sides agreed to it.   

Let's be honest:  So far, the Ramo project is a failure.   He's being paid to be a starting goaltender, and he's not.

Would the Flames let him go to the KHL next year?  Absolutely.  Would the KHL accept him?  Absolutely.

The only question mark is if Ramo would rather stay and collect his money here.   My guess is he's far too proud to do this, but if he gets roots in Calgary, then yes....he could stay.  

2. Ortio is not nhl ready,

I agree.    But neither are Berra or Ramo.

and we dont need to rush him. One more year as the guy in Abbotsford is needed with porentially spot duty in calgary

What for?  You mean two full seasons in the AHL?   Maybe for a guy out of junior, but not for a guy acoomplished out of SM-Liiga.  He's already outplayed Berra in the AHL, and we know Berra's likely better than Ramo.

He'll be 23...that's old enough for a shot in the NHL.  He's shutting out teams in the AHL, and getting better every game.

I kind of think he has two years left, but with the numbers he's posting....there is no doubt he could play in the AHL right now. 

I think it is safe to say that he will never play in Alaska.    

Some would suggest he goes straight to the NHL.  I think the NHL, and Alaska, are a bit extreme.  But the NHL is the more likely of the two.

He has two years left, I believe.   Which is a problem, because he doesn't have two years left of development in US College.

Early on, he is making a strong case for haunting us.  And Feaster just Had to take that risk...with Edmonton.

So did Dubnyk and Roy..just sayin...sv% is very misleading stat, right up there with +/- . Doesn't change the fact he was still easily #3 on our future prospects chart behind Ortio and Gilies..same spot Roy occupies now. I have no doubts he will be a competent nhl goalie one day, but people in here are acting like we traded Patrick Roy