Jon Gillies

I should clarify my post, I'm excited to see him next year in the AHL. He had nothing to prove in college anymore so I'm happy to see him take the next step. At this point doesn't make sense to get him an AHL game and probably actually makes more sense for Ortio to get a few games and see how healthy he is because if there is an injury in the playoffs he would likely be number 3, not Gilles.

bit too bad they burn a year on the entry level deal just for him to hang around the team in the playoffs but it looks like that might be a necessity now as it seems like all of the college signings want their deals to kick in right away. Bit surprised the Flames managed to get Morrison signed for next year.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where did you get that they are burning a year on his deal? My understanding is he's just practicing with the team no?

If i'm not mistaken, all 21 and 22-year-olds first NHL contract has to be a 3-year contract.  But since he signed "this season" and is officially with the Flames now, he will have 2-years remaining once next season begins.

I'm glad he signed.  It's better to know you've got him locked up than to have him go back to College and become a UFA next summer.

If i'm not mistaken, all 21 and 22-year-olds first NHL contract has to be a 3-year contract.  But since he signed "this season" and is officially with the Flames now, he will have 2-years remaining once next season begins.

I'm glad he signed.  It's better to know you've got him locked up than to have him go back to College and become a UFA next summer.

Confirmed by Steinberg...

I am glad they did it this way, since it gave him some incentive to sign now. I find it funny that we have a large collection of NCAA Championship winners on our team.

Agostino

Gillies

Jankoswki

Gilmour

Johnny Hockey

Billy Arnold

If I missed anyone, let me know.

Big expectations for this kid.  Let him develop steadily and you'll see the future with him and MacDonald in between the pipes.

I still hope the Flames take another goalie in this year's draft.  Preferably with one of the 3rd rounders.

Welcome Gillies!

Where did you get that they are burning a year on his deal? My understanding is he's just practicing with the team no?

People is right. Gilles contract can't slide into next years like Bennett so there is no limit or anything for him. Once he signs and is on the active roster it burns the year whether he plays or not.

It's not a big deal imo because the likelihood you get a goalie in the NHL playing at a high level on an entry level deal is small. I think he'll be in the AHL for at least two seasons.

Big expectations for this kid.  Let him develop steadily and you'll see the future with him and MacDonald in between the pipes.

I still hope the Flames take another goalie in this year's draft.  Preferably with one of the 3rd rounders.

Welcome Gillies!

Totally agree, although surprised you left out Ortio in that future.

Never liked losing Brossoit.  Yes, we need another goalie pick, and a good one (of course).

I see starter potential in Ortio, and Gillies.  I don't see what you see in MacDonald yet, but however way you hash it, we need another goalie pick.

Back to the topic, things are up in the air right now but Gillies has every opportunity to have a relatively short stint (a season) in the AHL before breaking into the NHL.  Excited to see what he can do next year!

Never liked losing Brossoit.  Yes, we need another goalie pick, and a good one (of course).

I see starter potential in Ortio, and Gillies.  I don't see what you see in MacDonald yet, but however way you hash it, we need another goalie pick.

Back to the topic, things are up in the air right now but Gillies has every opportunity to have a relatively short stint (a season) in the AHL before breaking into the NHL.  Excited to see what he can do next year!

I really didn't like Brossoit, so I don't mind losing him.  I don't like McDonald.  I am lukewarm on Ortio, but he is showing flashes of potential.  The only guy in our system I am high on is Gilles.  But goalies are voodoo.  Its really hard to project them as a teenager or even a tweener.  So I am in the more the merrier camp (provided there is room).   So I agree.  We need another goalie.  

Normally I want to pick a goalie every other draft.  But with Brossoit gone I think they pick one this draft.  

Ortio had two seasons where he was called to the NHL and played well. But his start to the season in the AHL was downright terrible. His most recent game in the NHL was also bad, not all his fault, but just plain bad.

He may have starter in him, but we don't have the luxury of having a goalie be cold for the start of a season. Ortio played himself out of that clod start, but we can't do it on the Flames. If he walks into training camp with the same lack of performance this summer, he will be seeing the waiver wire. Whether that means we sign Ramo to an extension, or call upon Gillies at the beginning is anyone's guess.

Ortio had two seasons where he was called to the NHL and played well. But his start to the season in the AHL was downright terrible. His most recent game in the NHL was also bad, not all his fault, but just plain bad.

He may have starter in him, but we don't have the luxury of having a goalie be cold for the start of a season. Ortio played himself out of that clod start, but we can't do it on the Flames. If he walks into training camp with the same lack of performance this summer, he will be seeing the waiver wire. Whether that means we sign Ramo to an extension, or call upon Gillies at the beginning is anyone's guess.

You speak truth.   Ortio had a horrible start to the season, and a bad last game.

On the last game, I would more accurately say that was not his fault at all, and I think it would be unrealistic to place any weight on that game when considering his future in the NHL.  You can't just take an AHL goaltender who hasn't played for three months, throw him into an NHL game cold, and expect anything.  There isn't a goalie in our system or the NHL, for that matter, who would have done any differently under the same circumstances.

On the start of the season:   True to an extent, but that is still unreasonably harsh, imho.  With both Hiller and Ramo, over the past couple seasons they've both gotten off to some Very rocky starts, often with me being the critical one and with tonnes of support on this thread with lines such as "it's only one game", or "give them time and they'll get better".   

Well, if we can show that kind of support with seasoned veterans in their late 20's or 30's, we can surely do it with a 22 year old.

I'm not saying that Ortio is the answer.   I'm just saying we have no reason at this point to rule him out, imho.

You speak truth.   Ortio had a horrible start to the season, and a bad last game.

On the last game, I would more accurately say that was not his fault at all, and I think it would be unrealistic to place any weight on that game when considering his future in the NHL.  You can't just take an AHL goaltender who hasn't played for three months, throw him into an NHL game cold, and expect anything.  There isn't a goalie in our system or the NHL, for that matter, who would have done any differently under the same circumstances.

On the start of the season:   True to an extent, but that is still unreasonably harsh, imho.  With both Hiller and Ramo, over the past couple seasons they've both gotten off to some Very rocky starts, often with me being the critical one and with tonnes of support on this thread with lines such as "it's only one game", or "give them time and they'll get better".   

Well, if we can show that kind of support with seasoned veterans in their late 20's or 30's, we can surely do it with a 22 year old.

I'm not saying that Ortio is the answer.   I'm just saying we have no reason at this point to rule him out, imho.

Like I said, we can't afford a cold goalie.

Whether that is AHL or NHL, we can't afford that kind of start. Whoever it is, they need to come out of the gates strong. We will get a good indication of the GM's intentions come June 30th. Gillies has already burned a year of his ELC. There is a good indication that he could be the stud goalie making a push for the NHL early (or even out of camp).

The good thing is that we are arguing about 4 goalies in the system. What a luxury. May the 2 best win.

Like I said, we can't afford a cold goalie.

Whether that is AHL or NHL, we can't afford that kind of start. Whoever it is, they need to come out of the gates strong. We will get a good indication of the GM's intentions come June 30th. Gillies has already burned a year of his ELC. There is a good indication that he could be the stud goalie making a push for the NHL early (or even out of camp).

The good thing is that we are arguing about 4 goalies in the system. What a luxury. May the 2 best win.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Gillies.  But with regards to cold starts....you do realize that Gillies got off to a colder start than Ortio, don't you? 

Cold starts doesn't separate them.  Ortio was very strong in most of his NHL stints.  Gillies won the frozen four.  IMHO, that's nearly a tie for them this year.   If you count Ortio's final return game, well yes...that was horrible.  But I don't even consider that a factor.

I'm not saying you're wrong about Gillies.  But with regards to cold starts....you do realize that Gillies got off to a colder start than Ortio, don't you? 

Cold starts doesn't separate them.  Ortio was very strong in most of his NHL stints.  Gillies won the frozen four.  IMHO, that's nearly a tie for them this year.   If you count Ortio's final return game, well yes...that was horrible.  But I don't even consider that a factor.

Hard to really compare their records. Gillies has a consistent .931 .931 .930 record through 3 years in the NCAA. Ortio has two seasons with the baby Flames/Heat with .926 and .912.

In a backup role, I don't know who would serve the Flames better. We currently have three that could do the job, but maybe as a McBackup they are not the right guys. Of the 3, Ramo has done well in a 1a/1b role.

Gilles needs to play so I don't think the Flames are well served by having him in a back up role. He needs to show he can handle pro hockey and that's something Ortio has already proven he can handle.

The best scenario for next season is this:

Hiller - starter who plays between 50-60 games

Ortio - backup playing at least 20 games

Gilles - starter in the A

That's the best situation IMO for a development/contract perspective. To your point, will it align with whats best for the Flames? we would have to find out.

Gilles needs to play so I don't think the Flames are well served by having him in a back up role. He needs to show he can handle pro hockey and that's something Ortio has already proven he can handle.

The best scenario for next season is this:

Hiller - starter who plays between 50-60 games

Ortio - backup playing at least 20 games

Gilles - starter in the A

That's the best situation IMO for a development/contract perspective. To your point, will it align with whats best for the Flames? we would have to find out.

Agree 100%.

Unfortunate that we can't get anything for Ramo, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

Next years camp will be the test. Instead of giving roster spots to player, they need to battle for the position. I still sign Ramo, if he plays better than Orito I take my chances with him clearing waivers.  Gillies may surprise everyone and push Ortio out of a spot. I am not 100% sold on the fact that Gilles or Ortio are slotted any where. 

We are in the playoffs and we needed Ramo down the stretch to accomplish that.  Crush that cookie.  Playoffs taste better.  

And we may still need him, assuming we go deep in the playoffs, if Hiller either falters or gets injured. I'd be much more confident with Ramo in net rather than having to throw Ortio or whoever else into the playoff fray.

Im not convinced the Flames let Ramo walk. I can see them signing him for another 2 years and then sending Ortio down or trading Hiller. Ortio will clear waivers. 

I can see them trading Hiller and keeping Ramo, but I doubt they would take the risk of losing Ortio on waivers.  

Keeping Ramo, though, I only seem them doing that if they think one of Ortio or Gillies will be their starter within half a season.

IMHO, not a bad way to go.  And we would get assets for Hiller.

But does management have as much confidence in Ortio and Gillies as I do?  Doubtful at this stage.

well they could always send Ortio down during the preseason, because you can send players down without waivers up until a certain date( im not sure which date off the top of my head). I could see them doing that and then seeing how the beginning of the season goes with all goalies, then make a move.

well they could always send Ortio down during the preseason, because you can send players down without waivers up until a certain date( im not sure which date off the top of my head). I could see them doing that and then seeing how the beginning of the season goes with all goalies, then make a move.

This only works in NHL 15.

If you send Ortio through waivers at the end of camp when other teams are happy with their teams and before injuries take hold, I think Ortio will go through no problem. The problem is if you call him up mid season, I doubt you can sneak him back through waivers.

I would keep Hiller and have Ortio as the back up next year, which creates space for Fillies to start in the AHL next year get some seasoning in.

Sounds good... Wait! He will go on waiver, when called up again.

Archived