Sven Baertschi

s4xon

Everyone here loves Sven Baertschi. Calgary hasn't seen skills in a prospect like this in decades. Hockey analysts, GM's, Coaches, and sports-casters all talk about hockey sense, an eye for the puck, great hands, work ethic, etc, but I think they are terms that are throw around too much. Obviously some players have more of these or all of these traits on a deeper scale than others. Baertschi falls into the "ALL" category.

The question remains: Will he be the next protege to build a team around?

Also: Would he be a more effective player with the pressure of the team riding on his shoulders? Or more effective if he didn't have such a huge responsibility and was let loose to play his game?

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sven is the best Flames prospect many of these fans have ever seen. That's merely due to the fact that much of the fan base on this board is young. Because of years of bad drafts &/or traded picks they don't have much of a comparison. It's not wrong as all of us use what we have seen for ourselves as our comparative basis.

I'd hate to see too much pressure put on him to be this super-rookie. Iggy can help by deflecting some of it & helping the youngster as he's been around the block & knows the possibilities. Fans/media can help by not putting undue pressure to perform on him. Junior to NHL is a huge step.

Sven won't be like a rookie Selanne & blow all rookie records off the books. What he might be without fans/media expecting a 20 year old to carry the team on his shoulders is a key cog on the team for many years.

*Over the years I've seen a lot of players with the potential to become great/excellent turned into fringe/supporting players because they had those excessive expectations placed on them to early. That's my basis for comparison so I tend to temper my expectations.*

Everyone here loves Sven Baertschi. Calgary hasn't seen skills in a prospect like this in decades. Hockey analysts, GM's, Coaches, and sports-casters all talk about hockey sense, an eye for the puck, great hands, work ethic, etc, but I think they are terms that are throw around too much. Obviously some players have more of these or all of these traits on a deeper scale than others. Baertschi falls into the "ALL" category.

The question remains: Will he be the next protege to build a team around?

Also: Would he be a more effective player with the pressure of the team riding on his shoulders? Or more effective if he didn't have such a huge responsibility and was let loose to play his game?

The media loves to pick up on a story that will sell. Cinder-freakin-rella stories make the readers feel good. Fans looks for the next Crosby. Media will report on his games, project the kind of player he will be, compare him to other greats, etc. If he becomes great, they can say "I told you so". If he is a bust, they will compare him to great failures.

Players like Crosby are few and far between. He was hyped from a young age, and grey into the player he became. The media followed him like groupies, but he managed to thrive. I also think he put the game ahead of his own well being. Hall and RNH are folling the same pattern, and could end up with shorter careers than Iggy, Doan, etc., etc...

I look forward to seeing Sven play this year, assuming he makes the team. If he is coached propoerly, he could have an effective year. Maybe not Calder Cup effective, but at least a good transition from Juniors. I would rather he grow into the team, learn leadership and poise, than become the face of the franchise overnight. Iggy deserves to be known as the greatest Flame until someone surpasses him 10 or 20 years down the road. That is not just by playing great, but also being more than a player.

That said, I look forward to his first hattrick, his first GWG, his first playoff game, no matter when that happens.

Good luck Sven!

I agree with FF. Don't get all wrapped up in the media hype. Enjoy him for what he is able to bring to us, not set your expectations on his shoulders.

I don't think anyone's expectations have been placed on Sven's shoulders...yet. Leaving the obvious media touts aside, I wanted to see the opinions people have of his progression; huge responsibilities or not.

My personal opinion of Sven is a guy who has immense talent for hockey, loves the game, wants to play to the best of his ability and makes those that play around him better. He's not an attention seeker. Sven is very calm and collected in front of the camera He is well spoken and comes off as a very humble, but confident individual.

As for the media, they are starved for any story, and live for speculation. So far, I see Feaster and the Staff have given him the steady progression he needs. Others may think it's been too fast or progressed too slow by being held back.

Will he make the team this year? We have yet to find out. There are a few factors. Does he fit Hartley's agenda? Can he help solidify the team without hindering his progression?

The jump from the minors to the NHL is large, yes, but I certainly know that if he is given the green light, we will see a kid that fits right where he belongs.

I think I will answer your question with another question. when you are called up to an nhl team in the middle of your junior season, and are expected to put on a show for the fans, is it a stress full situation ÉÉ sven preformed under alot of stress, and he imo was the main element that lead the flames on a winning streak.

The jump from the minors to the NHL is large, yes, but I certainly know that if he is given the green light, we will see a kid that fits right where he belongs.

The jump may be big, but Sven showed how much hockey sense and skill he has when he had his 5 game call up. 3 goals in 5 games while playing on a line with TKO is pretty good. Actually, more than pretty good, it's really good. And don't forget that awesome goal against Phoenix. He obviously won't be a PPG player (at least I wouldn't expect him to be) but he will be, at the very least, a very good player in the future because of everything he is and does.

Anyone expecting anything more then 20 goals 20 assists in his first year is putting way to much pressure on him. It will most likely be 3 or 4 years before we have an idea of how good he will be in the NHL.

Baertschi has a good break in situation here by starting on the 3rd with possibly Backlund and Stempniak. If Glencross gets lazy switch Baertschi onto the 2nd line. Let his play determine where he gets used.

I'm actually thinking that Sven goes the AHL route first now. With our depth it'll be tough to get everyone equal minutes, especially/even if Sven lights up the preseason. Send him to Abby to start the year, let him grow as the top dog and pad his stats/confidence in the AHL, call him up if/when injuries occur (which they will). Maybe he won't win the Calder because he only plays a half season, but at the same time that method seems to have worked quite well for a couple of recent NHL stars (Claude Giroux, Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan to name a few).

I'm actually thinking that Sven goes the AHL route first now. With our depth it'll be tough to get everyone equal minutes, especially/even if Sven lights up the preseason. Send him to Abby to start the year, let him grow as the top dog and pad his stats/confidence in the AHL, call him up if/when injuries occur (which they will). Maybe he won't win the Calder because he only plays a half season, but at the same time that method seems to have worked quite well for a couple of recent NHL stars (Claude Giroux, Ryan Getzlaf, Bobby Ryan to name a few).

I agree to a point but I would be surprised to see him not make the big club. With Cammy at starting C, there is room for him. If Cammaleri ends up being a bust at C then he may get sent down but I really just don't see it.

I think that he is going to make a team. Good thing is that we have a really good captain. Iggy is a good leader and Bear can learn from him. Besides a little competition who is going to score more goals is not bad.

Anyone expecting anything more then 20 goals 20 assists in his first year is putting way to much pressure on him. It will most likely be 3 or 4 years before we have an idea of how good he will be in the NHL.

I agree. I think that 15 g 10 a is reasonable or maybe 10g 15a

All I expect from Baertschi is that he shows up and gives it his best effort...

That said, given a full season, I would not be surprised to see his stats exceed either one of those postulations... ;)

I think I will answer your question with another question. when you are called up to an nhl team in the middle of your junior season, and are expected to put on a show for the fans, is it a stress full situation ÉÉ sven preformed under alot of stress, and he imo was the main element that lead the flames on a winning streak.

So...like, did I miss the question, or What?

I think it would take a horrendous camp for Bartschi to start in the A. The brass is dedinetly expecting him in the lineup and I don't think space is an issue with Cammy likely to place center.

What I think this boils down to is: Horrendous Path VS Proper/Secure Progression. While there is very little question that Sven has the talent, but as we've seen with so many other players, rushing to the team because he's "the annointed one" isn't always a good thing. I'm onside with CD here...put him in Abbotsford. Not because he doesn't deserve to be on the big team, but because we absolutely cannot afford to screw up with him.

Sure he got a taste of the NHL last season, but that was only for 5 games.

Yes, he scored 3 goals and looked right at home, but who wouldn't look like a superstar with all the excitement pumping through them like that.

Let him dip his toes into the pool before he goes diving off the high-dive. Troy Ward will bring him up right on the farm, and he'll get to see what "men" are like to play against for a full season without destroying his confidence. He'll get his chances with the big boys this season, but let's get his education and indoctrination off on the right foot because it's the right thing to do, and not rush him to the NHL just because we want him there.

Beartschi looked great at the scrimmage today... Scored a nice goal, and should have had another.. (just missed.)

There is so much talent, passion, and compete in this athlete. I get excited about watching him next year....

My prediction: 19G 24A

I just want him to succeed. Go Baertschi!!!

Given the excitement around Bear I would be more then shocked if he wasn't on our opening night roster, this team needs a spark at the beginning of the season and I think a couple of young guys like Sven and Aliu will bring that and get this team going in the right direction out of the gate.

I understand why allot of you want to see him ease into the big club but some people were born to play this game and this kid has it in spades!

Given the excitement around Bear I would be more then shocked if he wasn't on our opening night roster, this team needs a spark at the beginning of the season and I think a couple of young guys like Sven and Aliu will bring that and get this team going in the right direction out of the gate.

I understand why allot of you want to see him ease into the big club but some people were born to play this game and this kid has it in spades!

I agree completely. Between a new coach, youth and speed like Cervenka, Baertchi and Hudler and Cammy, I hope it is the solution to our slow starts. And the excitement an spark Baer brings has too much anticipation to ignore.

I agree completely. Between a new coach, youth and speed like Cervenka, Baertchi and Hudler and Cammy, I hope it is the solution to our slow starts. And the excitement an spark Baer brings has too much anticipation to ignore.

I just don't see how he can start on the team this year.There's no room, unless Blake gets scratched

I just don't see how he can start on the team this year.There's no room, unless Blake gets scratched

not sure who you meant by Blake but..... Like this...

Tanguay/Cammaleri/Iginla

Glencross/Cervenka/Hudler

Baertchi/Backlund or Stajan/Stempniak

Comeau/Jones/Jackman

And

Aliu/Horak/Bouma

Keeps all of them competing for spots. Wingers are interchangeable, size, speed skill and toughness on each line arguably, and plenty of guys in abbots ford looking to have a chance. Only thing we are REALLY missing is a #1 C but who knows how Cervenka, Cammy Backlund or Stajan will step up.

I find myself agreeing with multiple posters here.

I feel like most Flames fan have very high expectations. Me, I'd be utterly happy if he hit the twine when it counted, not a total number this year. From a statistical standpoint of what he has achieved, he's scoring 0.60 Goals Per Game. In eighty two games, that translates into 50 goals! Wow! I'd be blown away, literally. I'd have to pick up my jaw and duck tape it back into my skull if he scored that much.

But, I'm not expecting in any way for him to get 50 goals. I'd be very happy with 20. :D

If there isn't room, let him play line one minutes with the Heat. Develop him for one more year, he'll be ready next year for sure.

Archived