Flames Prospects In The Whl Playoffs.

Hawks Take 2-1 Series Lead With Game 3 Win

The Portland Winterhawks defeated the Edmonton Oil Kings 4-3 in Game 3 of the WHL Final Sunday to take a 2-1 series lead in front of a sold out crowd of 10,947 at the Rose Garden.

Ty Rattie returned from injury to score his 29th career playoff goal, setting a new Winterhawks record.

After a scoreless first period, Sven Bartschi opened the scoring 4:53 into the second when he took advantage of an Edmonton turnover in the offensive zone and beat Laurent Brossoit with a backhand to give the Hawks a 1-0 lead.

The Hawks made it 2-0 when Rattie scored his record-setting goal on a power play at the 12:06 mark, then just 29 seconds later Oliver Gabriel struck for another power goal to put the Hawks ahead 3-0. Rattie’s goal allowed him to pass Randy Heath to set a new franchise record for career playoff goals. Portland was dominant in the period, outshooting Edmonton 14-5 in the frame.

Edmonton got on the board 20 seconds into the third when Henrik Samuelsson scored to cut Portland’s lead to 3-1, but the Hawks got that one back at the 4:37 mark when Brendan Leipsic found himself alone in front of the net and went high over Brossoit to put Portland up 4-1.

The Oil Kings again cut Portland’s lead to two goals when Martin Gernat scored at the 7:16 mark to make it 4-2, then made it a one-goal game when Keegan Lowe scored midway through the period to make it 4-3.

But the Winterhawks slammed the door from there to finish with the win and the series lead.

Mac Carruth was terrific in net in the win, stopping 34 of the 37 shots he faced in the win. Brossoit made 29 saves on the 33 shots he faced.

Portland was 2-5 on the power play and 2-3 on the penalty kill.

The two teams are back on the ice Tuesday at 7 p.m. in the Rose Garden for Game 4.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CALGARY, AB -- The Western Hockey League announced today that Portland Winterhawks forward Sven Baertschi is the WHL Player of the Week.

Baertschi picked up five points, scoring four goals and one assist in three games over the last week helping the Winterhawks to a 2-1 series lead in the 2012 WHL Championship Series presented by Husky and Kal Tire against the Edmonton Oil Kings.

On Thursday, May 3rd, game one of the WHL Championship Series opened in Edmonton at Rexall Place. Baertschi scored one goal in the 'Hawks 3-2 loss to the Oil Kings. The next night, Friday, May 4th, in Edmonton, Baertschi collected two goals and was named the games 1st Star in the Winterhawks 5-1 win over the Oil Kings. On Sunday, May 6th, the series shifted to Portland with game three at the Rose Garden. Bartschi picked up one goal, one assist and was again named the games 1st Star in the Winterhawks 4-3 victory over the Oil Kings. He currently sits 2nd among all WHL scorers in the playoffs with 30 points (11 goals, 19 assists) in 18 games played.

The Portland Winterhawks currently lead the 2012 WHL Championship Series presented by Husky and Kal Tire 2-1 over the Edmonton Oil Kings. Game four is scheduled for Tuesday, May 8th in Portland at the Rose Garden before the series shifts back to Edmonton for game five Thursday, May 10th at Rexall Place.

A 19-year-old from Langenthal, SUI, Baertschi is playing his second full season with the Portland Winterhawks after being a 7th overall selection in the 2010 CHL Import Draft. The Calgary Flames made Baertschi the 13th overall selection in last year’s 2011 NHL Draft and signed the WHL Star to an entry-level contract this past summer. He recently was a rare emergency NHL call up for the Flames in March appearing in five games and scoring three goals. This is his fifth career WHL Player of the Week Award.

I watched the Portland and Edmonton game tonight and it was a beauty, down 3-1 Sven tried to carry the team on his back and netted 2 goals in the first 10 mins of the 3rd. This kid has a lot of fight in him but unfortunately he couldn't quite get that hat trick and the hawks fell in OT.

It has been unbelievable hockey. And watching Baertschi and Rattie, you literally expect them to do something amaazing every single shift - and they pretty much do!

Fun stuff.

Oh, and Pouliot and Reinhart both look great, I would not be unhappy with either if they turned out to be our pick this year. Pouliot is all offense, Reinhart is more of a two-way game (and my preference).

Wotherspoon looked really good last night - he doesn't go for the big offense, but he is an intelligent defender and he skates better than I expected.

Portland announced last night that Seth Jones will join them next year. So as it stands right now, their D will include Pouliot, Wotherspoon and Jones (along with the youngsters Hanson and Viveiros). Should really help Wotherspoon continue to develop.

S. Baertschi: 19 Games - 13 Goals - 19 Assists - 32 Points - 10 PIM - +13

T. Wotherspoon: 19 Games - 1 Goals - 5 Assists - 6 Points - 4 PIM - +13

L. Brossoit: 17 Games - 14 Wins - 3 Losses - 1.99 GAA - 0.934 SV% - 2 SO - 1 Assist

M. Ferland: 8 Games - 3 Goals - 3 Assists - 6 Points - 6 PIM - +3 (Eliminated 2nd Round)

J. Leach: 4 Games - 1 Goals - 0 Assists - 1 Points - 8 PIM - -2 (Eliminated 1st Round)

M. Reinhart: 3 Games - 0 Goals - 2 Assists - 2 Points - 6 PIM - Even +/- (Eliminated 1st Round)

Hawks Fall 4-3 in OT in Game 4

The Portland Winterhawks fell 4-3 in overtime Tuesday against the Edmonton Oil Kings in Game 4 of the WHL Final in front of a sold out crowd of 10,947, the team’s third straight sellout. The series is now tied 2-2.

The Winterhawks took an early 1-0 lead just 1:21 into the game when Troy Rutkowski fed a pass through the neutral zone to Marcel Noebels, who was behind the Edmonton defense and beat Oil Kings netminder Laurent Brossoit on the breakaway. The Oil Kings evened it on a goal by Rhett Rachinski at 15:50 to make it 1-1 going into the second.

The Oil Kings made it 2-1 when Tyler Maxwell scored 8:17 into the second, and Stephane Legault scored with 56 seconds to go in the period to give the Oil Kings a 3-1 lead heading into the third.

Portland got back within one 3:49 into the third period when Sven Bartschi scored his 12th of the postseason to cut the deficit to 3-2. Bartschi struck again at the 9:06 mark when he cut across the crease and directed the puck past Brossoit to make it 3-3. The Hawks were outstanding throughout the period, creating numerous chances, but the game remained tied through the end of regulation and went to overtime.

Rhett Rachinski then scored the winner 9:07 into the extra frame.

The two teams travel to Edmonton with Game 5 set for Thursday night at 6 p.m. local time.

BARTSCHI NAMED CHL PLAYER OF THE WEEK

2012-05-09

Toronto, ON – The Canadian Hockey League today announced that forward Sven Bartschi is the CHL Player of the Week after scoring four goals and one assist for five points in three playoff games for the week ending May 6.

Bartschi opened the WHL Championship Series with a goal in Game 1 last Thursday night despite a 3-2 loss to the Edmonton Oil Kings. He followed that up with a pair of first star performances including Friday night in Game 2 where he scored two goals in a 5-1 win, and on Sunday where he scored once and added an assist as part of the 4-3 victory which gave the Winterhawks a 2-1 series lead. The series is now tied 2-2 with Game 5 scheduled for Thursday night in Edmonton.

Bartschi, a 19-year-old from Langenthal, Switzerland, is playing in his second full WHL season with the Winterhawks. Selected 13th overall by the Calgary Flames in the 2011 NHL Entry Draft, Bartschi is currently second in WHL playoff scoring with 32 points including 13 goals and 19 assists in 19 games played.

He tied it up again in the 3rd. This kid is a beast. BEAST. BEASTIN OVER HERE. Or Baerin I guess.

Kid is good, I've only been half watchin the game, but damn he is dominating.

Can't wait to see him in Flames gear next year.

GO BAERTSCHI GET THE WINNER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S. Baertschi: 20 Games - 14 Goals - 20 Assists - 34 Points - 10 PIM - +13

T. Wotherspoon: 20 Games - 1 Goals - 5 Assists - 6 Points - 6 PIM - +11

L. Brossoit: 18 Games - 15 Wins - 3 Losses - 2.05 GAA - 0.932 SV% - 2 SO - 1 Assist

M. Ferland: 8 Games - 3 Goals - 3 Assists - 6 Points - 6 PIM - +3 (Eliminated 2nd Round)

J. Leach: 4 Games - 1 Goals - 0 Assists - 1 Points - 8 PIM - -2 (Eliminated 1st Round)

M. Reinhart: 3 Games - 0 Goals - 2 Assists - 2 Points - 6 PIM - Even +/- (Eliminated 1st Round)

Hawks Fall 4-3 in game 5

Series is now 3-2 for the Edmonton Oil Kings (Laurent Brossoit)

Portlands second loss in a row, They will now be fighting to stay alive in game 6 Saturday May 12th 6pm PDT

S. Baertschi: 21 Games - 14 Goals - 20 Assists - 34 Points - 10 PIM - +13

T. Wotherspoon: 21 Games - 1 Goals - 6 Assists - 7 Points - 6 PIM - +11

L. Brossoit: 19 Games - 15 Wins - 4 Losses - 2.10 GAA - 0.932 SV% - 2 SO - 1 Assist

No goals or assists from Ty Rattie or Sven Baertschi, I expect a huge game out of both of them tomorrow.

Tyler Wotherspoon with an assist.

The WHL Final will come down to a Game 7.

The Portland Winterhawks got two goals from Oliver Gabriel as they defeated the Edmonton Oil Kings 3-2 Saturday in Game 6 of the WHL Final at the Rose Garden in front of a sold out crowd of 10,947, the fourth straight sellout. The series is now tied 3-3.

Edmonton got on the board first when Michael St. Croix scored 7:53 into the game to make it 1-0. The Hawks got that one back at the 11:07 mark when Cam Reid sidestepped an Edmonton defenseman and fed Gabriel on the doorstep, who buried the shot to even the game at 1-1, a score that would last through the period.

The score remained 1-1 through the second, despite Portland carrying the play for much of the frame and outshooting Edmonton 18-10.

It set up a tremendous third period that began with a goal by Joe Morrow at the 8:44 mark as Portland took a 2-1 lead. Edmonton responded with a goal by Stephane Legault at the 11:05 mark to even it at 2-2.

The score remained tied until late in the third, when Gabriel sealed the win with his second of the game at the 17:21 mark to give Portland the 3-2 win.

Mac Carruth made 30 saves on 32 shots to earn the win in net for Portland. His counterpart, Laurent Brossoit, stopped 42 of 45 shots for Edmonton.

The Hawks finally broke the tie at the 8:44 mark of the third when Joe Morrow tipped in a shot past Edmonton netminder Lauren Brossoit to make it 2-1.

1-4 for starting the 3rd period now Edmonton Oil Kings lead, nothing from rattie or sven the last 2 games, they really need to get it together for this next period or they really dropped the ball.

on the other hand Laurent Brossoit and been kicking his apple at the same time, he could develop into a top prospect soon

1-4 for starting the 3rd period now Edmonton Oil Kings lead, nothing from rattie or sven the last 2 games, they really need to get it together for this next period or they really dropped the ball.

on the other hand Laurent Brossoit and been kicking his apple at the same time, he could develop into a top prospect soon

To be fair the Winterhawks as a team have looked really bad for a Game 7 in such a competitive series. In fact, the 1st line was the only line creating ANY chances for a good portion there.

The Winterhawks really missed their chance in Games 4 & 5. A chance to put the OKs on their heels. A chance at forcing the OKs into an elimination game. They had their foot on Edmonton's throats, they just didn't have that killer instinct. Game 5 was probably the toughest loss, an OT one that they were in control of for most of the 3rd period.

After Game 6, they have nothing in the tank. This is what happens when you let a guy who's down on the mat back up. Lots of credit to the Oil Kings team, they stayed with it and have kept Bartschi/Rattie off the scoreboard. There's no way to completely shut them down, they'll get scoring chances, but as long as none of them go in....

If Edmonton wins, Laurent Broisoit is the surefire pick as WHL playoff MVP. He's been on a whole other level. MAYBE Curtis Lazar could win, or maybe Sven could as the losing team darkhorse, but there has been no player as important to his team these playoffs as Broisoit. For those out there lauding Mike Smith, Laurent's performance has been just as brilliant as the former Dallas backup's.

Not sure about you guys but i wasn't impressed with Ty Rattie at all. The guy has no vision in the offensive zone. He has decent speed and a decent shot but man, he's just all alone out there. It's all Baertschi who is creating and making plays. I hope we don't trade for him.

Not sure about you guys but i wasn't impressed with Ty Rattie at all. The guy has no vision in the offensive zone. He has decent speed and a decent shot but man, he's just all alone out there. It's all Baertschi who is creating and making plays. I hope we don't trade for him.

I felt the same way. I don't want to kick them while they're down or anything, but I thought Rattie was coming in with his head down and just shooting from anywhere - fairly selfish and creating very little. Oh well, he and the team cooled off a bit early unfortunately.

Crzydvr - totally agree with your post.

Congrats to Brossoit - I hope this generates dome recognition for him with respect to the WJC team next year.

I felt the same way. I don't want to kick them while they're down or anything, but I thought Rattie was coming in with his head down and just shooting from anywhere - fairly selfish and creating very little. Oh well, he and the team cooled off a bit early unfortunately.

Crzydvr - totally agree with your post.

Congrats to Brossoit - I hope this generates dome recognition for him with respect to the WJC team next year.

Yea, it seemed like every time Rattie entered the offensive zone with the puck, he just took a shot without considering any second options. He didn't show any patience in waiting for plays to develop and never tries to buy time with the puck. He just shot everything at the net. It sounds great in philosophy because it's never a bad play to shoot at the net but that's until you consider how they were all from low scoring percentage areas on the ice. Plus, there were better options that he either didn't see or refused to consider.

He's also not particularly fast for a small guy so i worry how he will ever succeed at the NHL level.

Not that Baertschi did much scoring himself but at least he was faster with the puck and was willing to carry the puck all the way into the corners if necessary until something in front of the net developed. He was feeling plays develop before he gets the puck and then knows exactly what he wants to do with it as soon as he gets it.

The Oil Kings did good against Baertschi. They pretty much shadowed him with Jordan Peddle who has NHL-level speed and he covered a lot of ice very quickly. Plus he was carrying the puck end to end and forcing Baertschi to back check the entire distance of the ice against him every shift. I think Baertschi just tired out after awhile.

Yea, it seemed like every time Rattie entered the offensive zone with the puck, he just took a shot without considering any second options. He didn't show any patience in waiting for plays to develop and never tries to buy time with the puck. He just shot everything at the net. It sounds great in philosophy because it's never a bad play to shoot at the net but that's until you consider how they were all from low scoring percentage areas on the ice. Plus, there were better options that he either didn't see or refused to consider.

He's also not particularly fast for a small guy so i worry how he will ever succeed at the NHL level.

Not that Baertschi did much scoring himself but at least he was faster with the puck and was willing to carry the puck all the way into the corners if necessary until something in front of the net developed. He was feeling plays develop before he gets the puck and then knows exactly what he wants to do with it as soon as he gets it.

The Oil Kings did good against Baertschi. They pretty much shadowed him with Jordan Peddle who has NHL-level speed and he covered a lot of ice very quickly. Plus he was carrying the puck end to end and forcing Baertschi to back check the entire distance of the ice against him every shift. I think Baertschi just tired out after awhile.

Rattie's injury last week was "concussion like," so he probably wasn't at the top of his game.

Rattie's injury last week was "concussion like," so he probably wasn't at the top of his game.

This whole series Rattie hasnt been on his game, sure the last 2 games Sven has dropped off the scoreboard but that says nothing of what he has done the other 5 games of that series, he basically carried everyone on his back for those game the Winterhawks should be thanking him for making that alot less embarrassing as it would of been had be not carried like he did, not to take away from the secondary scoring or anything, but Sven was that team and now hes headed our way I for one am happy and sad but that's life its time for him to look towards the stanley cup and forget about the WHL.

L. Brossoit: 20 Games - 16 Wins - 4 Losses - 2.04 GAA - 0.933 SV% - 2 SO - 1 Assist (WHL Champion, MVP)

S. Baertschi: 22 Games - 14 Goals - 20 Assists - 34 Points - 10 PIM - +13 (Eliminated Championship Series)

T. Wotherspoon: 22 Games - 1 Goals - 6 Assists - 7 Points - 6 PIM - +11 (Eliminated Championship Series)

Brossoit named WHL Championship series MVP

EDMONTON, AB -- After the Edmonton Oil Kings claimed the WHL Championship on Sunday night with a 4-1 win over the Portland Winterhawks, netminder Laurent Brossoit was named the series MVP.

"It's a dream come true," the Flames prospect told the assembled media. "You never really think about what it would feel like to be in this position. Now I have and I couldn't even put it into words and explain it to you guys.

"It's honestly just amazing."

Portland's torrid offence was the greatest challenge Brossoit faced in the WHL playoffs. The Winterhawks forward lineup boasts the top three scoring leaders in the WHL postseason with Sven Baertschi, Ty Rattie and Marcel Noebels and they routinely put 25+ shots on Brossoit.

However, in Game 7, the Oil Kings tightened up defensively and absolutely smothered the Winterhawks in all three zones. Brossoit only faced 20 shots on Sunday night - his lightest workload since Game 4 of the first round when the Kootenay Ice managed just 15 shots on net.

"My team played amazing for me," Brossoit told CBC afterwards. "Defensively, I thought it was our best game of the series.

"I had to make some easy saves and that's what it was. It was a team game and we won as a team."

The 19 year-old has been rock solid for the Oil Kings throughout the regular season and playoffs. He set a new career-high in wins with a 42-13-5 record during the 2011-12 campaign, posting a 2.47 GAA and a .914 save percentage. In 20 playoff appearances, Brossoit went 16-4-0 with two shutouts to his name. Heading into the Memorial Cup tournament, his postseason GAA sits at 2.04 while his save percentage is .933.

The Flames selected Brossoit in the sixth round (164th overall) of the 2011 NHL Draft.

Archived