Flames Prospects In The Whl Playoffs.

Joey Leach, and Max Reinhart were eliminated in Thursdays 3-1 Edmonton Oil Kings Win over the Kootenay Ice

Max Reinhart (1 game suspension for game misconduct in game 3) so he missed game 4

Meanwhile Laurent Brossoit is in the net for the sweep so he moves onto round 2 against either Brandon Wheat Kings or Regina Pats

Sven Baertschi: 2 Assists, +4

Tyler Wotherspoon: -1

After Thursdays 5-3 Portland Winterhawks Win over the Kelowna Rockets

Portland advances onto the 2nd round against Kamloops Blazers

Michael Ferland: -1

After Thursdays 3-2 OverTime Brandon Wheat Kings Win over the Calgary Hitmen

Brandon Wheat Kings advances onto the 2nd round against either Medicine Hat Tigers or Edmonton Oil Kings

S. Baertschi: 4 Games - 2 Goals - 9 Assists - 11 Points - 4 PIM - +11

T. Wotherspoon: 4 Games - 1 Goals - 1 Assists - 2 Points - 0 PIM - +6

M. Ferland: 5 Games - 2 Goals - 1 Assists - 3 Points - 4 PIM - +1

J. Leach: 4 Games - 1 Goals - 0 Assists - 1 Points - 8 PIM - -2 (Eliminated 1st Round)

M. Reinhart: 3 Games - 0 Goals - 2 Assists - 2 Points - 6 PIM - Even +/- (Eliminated 1st Round)

L. Brossoit: 4 Games - 4 Wins - 0 Losses - 1.75 GAA - 0.926 SV% - 1 SO - 1 Assist

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AHL games don't burn anything off an ELC and I believe ELCs have the AHL PTOs written into them.

Ya that can't be true, or else say Ryan Howse's contract would still be a slide risk. I'm not sure if there's a game limit in the AHL where the contract kicks in like the NHL however.

Not that I don't agree with you as I think that would be awsome for his development but would that not burn a year off his ECL? you know if he plays more than 9 games. I could be wrong but I thought Wahl signed a PTO after his playoff's were done so he could do just the same and he was under contract to the Flames with an ECL. Could anyone clarify this for me.

Was at the Abbotsford Heat game last night and during my meet and great with Lanny McDonald (class act by the way), I spoke with the Heat media relations members, they said Reinhart won't find himself on the Heat because there are too many ATO's and healthy bodies to have Reinhart "called up". With Wilson and Horak down, that gives the team 18 forwards and 8 d-men that are healthy. So, Reinhart and Leach are a no go for the AHL Playoffs.

S. Baertschi: 5 Games - 3 Goals - 12 Assists - 15 Points - 4 PIM - +13

T. Wotherspoon: 5 Games - 1 Goals - 1 Assists - 2 Points - 0 PIM - +8

M. Ferland: 6 Games - 2 Goals - 1 Assists - 3 Points - 4 PIM - +2

J. Leach: 4 Games - 1 Goals - 0 Assists - 1 Points - 8 PIM - -2 (Eliminated 1st Round)

M. Reinhart: 3 Games - 0 Goals - 2 Assists - 2 Points - 6 PIM - Even +/- (Eliminated 1st Round)

L. Brossoit: 5 Games - 5 Wins - 0 Losses - 1.60 GAA - 0.935 SV% - 1 SO - 1 Assist

S. Baertschi: 6 Games - 5 Goals - 12 Assists - 17 Points - 6 PIM - +13

T. Wotherspoon: 6 Games - 1 Goals - 2 Assists - 3 Points - 0 PIM - +9

M. Ferland: 7 Games - 3 Goals - 2 Assists - 5 Points - 4 PIM - +3

L. Brossoit: 6 Games - 6 Wins - 0 Losses - 1.83 GAA - 0.928 SV% - 1 SO - 1 Assist

CALGARY, AB. - The Western Hockey League announced today that Portland Winterhawks forward Sven Bartschi is the WHL Player of the Week.

Bartschi picked up six points, scoring three goals and three assists to go with a +2 rating in two games over the past week, helping the Winterhawks to a 2-0 series lead over the Kamloops Blazers in the Kal Tire WHL Western Conference semi-final.

On Friday, April 6th, the Winterhawks opened their Kal Tire WHL Western Conference semi-final in Portland hosting the Kamloops Blazers. Bartschi scored one goal, three assists and was named the games 1st Star in the ‘Hawks 5-3 win over the Blazers. The next night, Saturday, April 7th, in Portland, Bartschi scored two goals and was named the games 2nd Star in the Winterhawks’ 4-1 victory over the Blazers.

The Portland Winterhawks now have a 2-0 series lead over the Kamloops Blazers in the Kal Tire WHL Western Conference semi-final with games three and four scheduled for Tuesday, April 10 and Wednesday, April 11 at 7:00pm in Kamloops.

A 19-year-old from Langenthal, SUI, Bartschi is playing his second full season with the Portland Winterhawks after being a 7th overall selection in the 2010 CHL Import Draft. The Calgary Flames made Bartschi the 13th overall selection in last year’s 2011 NHL Draft and signed the WHL Star to an entry-level contract this past summer. He recently was a rare emergency NHL call up for the Flames in March appearing in five games and scoring three goals. This is his fourth career WHL Player of the Week Award.

The WHL has also nominated Luke Siemens of the Moose Jaw Warriors for the CHL Goaltender of the Week Award. Siemensposted a 2-0-0-0 record this past week, stopping 30 of 32 shots faced for a 1.00 goals-against average and 0.938 save percentage. Siemens, a native of Delta, BC, helped the Warriors emerge from the weekend with a 2-0 series lead over the Medicine Hat Tigers in the Husky WHL Eastern Conference semi-final.

WHL Player of the Week - 2012 WHL Playoffs

Apr. 2 – Apr. 8: Sven Bartschi, Portland Winterhawks

Mar. 26 – Apr. 1: Ty Rattie, Portland Winterhawks

Mar. 19 – Mar. 25: Jordan Martinook, Vancouver Giants

WHL Player of the Week

Mar. 12 – Mar. 18: Matej Stransky, Saskatoon Blades

Mar. 5 – Mar. 11: Emerson Etem, Medicine Hat Tigers

Feb. 27 – Mar. 4: Sven Bartschi, Portland Winterhawks

Feb. 20 – Feb. 26: Brendan Shinnimin, Tri-City Americans

Feb. 13 – Feb. 19: Michael Ferland, Brandon Wheat Kings

Feb. 6 – Feb. 12: Brendan Ranford, Kamloops Blazers

Jan. 30 – Feb. 5: Dominik Uher, Spokane Chiefs

Jan. 23 – Jan. 29: Mark McNeill, Prince Albert Raiders

Jan. 16 – Jan. 22: Michael St. Croix, Edmonton Oil Kings

Jan. 9 – Jan. 15: Colin Smith, Kamloops Blazers

Jan. 2 – Jan. 8: Brendan Gallagher, Vancouver Giants

Dec. 27 – Jan. 1: Dalton Thrower, Saskatoon Blades

Dec. 2 – Dec. 18: Patrick Holland, Tri-City Americans

Dec. 5 – Dec. 11: Mike Winther, Prince Albert Raiders

Nov. 28 – Dec. 4: Michael St. Croix, Edmonton Oil Kings

Nov. 21 – Nov. 27: Ty Rattie, Portland Winterhawks

Nov. 14 – Nov. 20: Mark Stone, Brandon Wheat Kings

Nov. 7 – Nov. 13: Alex Petrovic, Red Deer Rebels

Oct. 31 – Nov. 6: Hunter Shinkaruk, Medicine Hat Tigers

Oct. 24 – Oct. 30: Cody Beach, Moose Jaw Warriors

Oct. 17 – Oct. 23: Brendan Gallagher, Vancouver Giants

Oct. 10 – Oct. 16: Sven Bartschi, Portland Winterhawks

Oct. 3 – Oct. 9: Emerson Etem, Medicine Hat Tigers

Sept. 26 – Oct. 2: Mark Stone, Brandon Wheat Kings

Sept. 22 – Sept. 25: Adam Hughesman, Tri-City Americans

Not to sound like I'm complaining too much, but I wish that Bartschi was a center and owning at that position. It's great and all that he'd doing so well, but I think a center of a similar level would be much more beneficial to the team.

Not to sound like I'm complaining too much, but I wish that Bartschi was a center and owning at that position. It's great and all that he'd doing so well, but I think a center of a similar level would be much more beneficial to the team.

Getting a little greedy are we? Luckily, that's one of the side effects that occur when you have a bluechipper. Obviously, something's going right for us to be able to even have THAT sort of complaint.

Getting a little greedy are we? Luckily, that's one of the side effects that occur when you have a bluechipper. Obviously, something's going right for us to be able to even have THAT sort of complaint.

Well, I mean it in the general sense that centers are much more significant drivers of possession and scoring than wingers, even elite ones. We've had one of the best wingers in the game for more than a decade and the Flames have never been elite; even their success was generally seen as over-achieving.

Well, I mean it in the general sense that centers are much more significant drivers of possession and scoring than wingers, even elite ones. We've had one of the best wingers in the game for more than a decade and the Flames have never been elite; even their success was generally seen as over-achieving.

Just going to say right now, that if Bear was a center, we never would have gotten to pick him. He's that good. Obviously some teams feel like they like their centers more, but if he was a center instead of a winger, he's going top 10. There was a lot of interest in the Swiss, it just became a case of "He's rated right behind this one guy we like better". If he was a center doing those things, he'd probably have jumped at least a spot or two on most draft boards.

I'm fine with him being a winger. You look at what else was there at 13, and it's pretty slim pickings in terms of truly impactful forwards in general, not just center or wing.

Just going to say right now, that if Bear was a center, we never would have gotten to pick him. He's that good. Obviously some teams feel like they like their centers more, but if he was a center instead of a winger, he's going top 10. There was a lot of interest in the Swiss, it just became a case of "He's rated right behind this one guy we like better". If he was a center doing those things, he'd probably have jumped at least a spot or two on most draft boards.

I'm fine with him being a winger. You look at what else was there at 13, and it's pretty slim pickings in terms of truly impactful forwards in general, not just center or wing.

All very true. I withdraw my complaint; it is more a whimsical fantasy. :)

Maybe we'll luck out and win the lottery next year?

S. Baertschi: 8 Games - 5 Goals - 14 Assists - 19 Points - 8 PIM - +11

T. Wotherspoon: 8 Games - 1 Goals - 2 Assists - 3 Points - 0 PIM - +11

M. Ferland: 8 Games - 3 Goals - 3 Assists - 6 Points - 6 PIM - +3

L. Brossoit: 8 Games - 8 Wins - 0 Losses - 1.50 GAA - 0.941 SV% - 2 SO - 1 Assist

Tough game for Wotherspoon and Baertschi and the Winterhawks. 7-2 blow-out. They need to pick it up to avoid a total collapse!

I was listening to a good portion of the game. It didn't sound like Sven had a bad game and I lost count the number of times Wotherspoon hit the post or side of the net.

It sounded like the Kamloops goaltender played lights out and every time he stopped a chance it seemed like Kamloops forced a turnover and made good on their scoring chance.

Definitely a lot of Winterhawk missed opportunities.

Brossoit has been very good for the Oil Kings so far and impressed me in the summer camp as well. I like this guy and so far they've got some good value when they got him I think. On a nice development curve.

Brossoit was named goalie of the week in the CHL...

link

it was 3-0

Portland's ship is sinking fast....for all their talent, everything's coming undone for them....kinda like the Penguins or the Canucks.

Talk about a mental breakdown. Leading 5-2 heading into the third period, blows that lead, has to score just to even it up at 6, and then lets in a goal with 21 seconds to play....

They needed to put that game away. To be honest, I don't think they will pull themselves out of it. Kamloops has taken away every last bit of momentum and nobody's afraid of the WHawks star power now.

Archived