Flames Prospects In The Whl Playoffs.

thought this would be easier than us bumping each individual prospect thread after the playoff games. The 1st round of the playoffs begin Thursday and 6 of our 7 WHL prospects will be participating. Turner Elson (of the Rebels is the only to not make the playoffs).

S. Baertschi: 19 Games - 13 Goals - 19 Assists - 32 Points - 10 PIM - +13

T. Wotherspoon: 19 Games - 1 Goals - 5 Assists - 6 Points - 4 PIM - +13

L. Brossoit: 17 Games - 14 Wins - 3 Losses - 1.99 GAA - 0.934 SV% - 2 SO - 1 Assist

M. Ferland: 8 Games - 3 Goals - 3 Assists - 6 Points - 6 PIM - +3 (Eliminated 2nd Round)

J. Leach: 4 Games - 1 Goals - 0 Assists - 1 Points - 8 PIM - -2 (Eliminated 1st Round)

M. Reinhart: 3 Games - 0 Goals - 2 Assists - 2 Points - 6 PIM - Even +/- (Eliminated 1st Round)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelowna Rockets vs Portland Winter Hawks

- Sven Beartschi is the top LW on the Winter Hawks

- Tyler Wotherspoon is a top 4 defenseman (I think top pairing even) for the Winterhawks

That's arguable. As far as Portland is concerned right now, he's definitely behind Pouliot and Morrow, and most likely behind Rutkowski and Wrenn as well. Obviously pairings can change rapidly, but he doesn't get much TOI on that kind of team. Absolutely stacked.

Portland's weakness last year was that their defensive depth was somewhat suspect compared to their forward depth. This year that's been reversed. Portland has arguably the best 6 man defense group in the WHL, maybe even in the CHL (and they stayed HEALTHY, something the Flames could have used; not one Portland mainstay played less than 60 games this season). While up front their depth, especially at center, has not been intimidating.

It actually adds to the impressive play of their top line, because before the acquisition of Marcel Noebels teams could basically focus at the top. The fact that Bartschi/Rattie and to a lesser extent Ross were still able to put up those kind of numbers with defences zeroing in on them speaks volumes about how good they were.

That's arguable. As far as Portland is concerned right now, he's definitely behind Pouliot and Morrow, and most likely behind Rutkowski and Wrenn as well. Obviously pairings can change rapidly, but he doesn't get much TOI on that kind of team. Absolutely stacked.

Portland's weakness last year was that their defensive depth was somewhat suspect compared to their forward depth. This year that's been reversed. Portland has arguably the best 6 man defense group in the WHL, maybe even in the CHL (and they stayed HEALTHY, something the Flames could have used; not one Portland mainstay played less than 60 games this season). While up front their depth, especially at center, has not been intimidating.

It actually adds to the impressive play of their top line, because before the acquisition of Marcel Noebels teams could basically focus at the top. The fact that Bartschi/Rattie and to a lesser extent Ross were still able to put up those kind of numbers with defences zeroing in on them speaks volumes about how good they were.

it was a Winter Hawks fan that told me that Wotherspoon was their top shutdown defnseman, so I am basing it on that

but who give a strawberry? this is about tracking the playoff progress of our prospects not whether or not i judged their role right

I dont follow the WHL at all even with a team playing in my backyard. Its too bad Portland only comes to town once a year. Anyhow Im from saskatoon anyone know if the Blades have a chance to get to the 2nd round so I can go and watch some of our prospects? And who those prospects might be?

thought this would be easier than us bumping each individual prospect thread after the playoff games. The 1st round of the playoffs begin Thursday and 6 of our 7 WHL prospects will be participating. Turner Elson (of the Rebels is the only to not make the playoffs).In round one we will be focused on 3 separate series.

Brandon Wheat Kings vs. Calgary Hitmen

- Michael Ferland is the top line LW for the Wheat Kings.

Kootenay Ice vs. Edmonton Oil Kings

- Max Reinhart is the top line center for the Ice

- Joey Leach is a top 4 defenseman (I think top pairing even) for the Ice

- Laurent Brossoit is the starting goaltender for the Edmonton Oil Kings

Kelowna Rockets vs Portland Winter Hawks

- Sven Beartschi is the top LW on the Winter Hawks

- Tyler Wotherspoon is a top 4 defenseman (I think top pairing even) for the Winterhawks

Stat Tracker:

S. Beartschi: 0 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 0 PIM - E +/-

L. Brossoit: 0 Games - 0 Wins - 0 Losses - 0.00 GAA - .000 SV%

M. Ferland: 1 Games - 1 Goals - 1 Assists - 2 Points - 2 PIM - +2

J. Leach: 0 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 0 PIM - E +/-

M. Reinhart: 0 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 0 PIM - E +/-

T. Wotherspoon: 0 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 0 PIM - E +/-

Updated. Ferland had a goal and an assist in the 6-2 Brandon win

I dont follow the WHL at all even with a team playing in my backyard. Its too bad Portland only comes to town once a year. Anyhow Im from saskatoon anyone know if the Blades have a chance to get to the 2nd round so I can go and watch some of our prospects? And who those prospects might be?

The Blades are going up against Medicine Hat. Don't remember who won the season series but just looking at matchups Medicine Hat has an advantage. Saskatoon is going up against Tyler Bunz, whereas their own netminding has been average at best. Medicine Hat also has the two most skilled forwards in the best of 7 in Emerson Etem and Hunter Shinkaruk.

Thrower would really help Saskatoon at this point, but he's not coming back unless Saskatoon makes a deep run. Other than two potentially high draft picks in Lukas Sutter and Dalton Thrower, there isn't anyone that merits watching from the Flames since Saskatoon has no Flames prospects. Their best pro prospect is Duncan Siemens, but his offensive game really took a step back this year.

Figured someone needed to update the stats tracker since Ring-A-Ding isn't here...

Stat Tracker:

S. Beartschi: 2 Games - 0 Goals - 4 Assists - 4 Points - 4 PIM - +3

L. Brossoit: 1 Games - 1 Wins - 0 Losses - 0.00 GAA - 1.000 SV% - 1 SO

M. Ferland: 2 Games - 1 Goals - 1 Assists - 2 Points - 4 PIM - +2

J. Leach: 1 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 2 PIM - -1

M. Reinhart: 1 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 0 PIM - -2

T. Wotherspoon: 2 Games - 1 Goal - 1 Assist - 2 Points - 0 PIM - +4

The Svenster already has 4 PIM, that's the same amount as Mike Ferland, the prodigal mean-as-watermelon boxer....

Looks like Kootenay's in tough against Edmonton. Don't expect too much out of the reigning WHL Champs, so we won't see the gaudy stats that Reinhart posted in last year's surprise run.

My WHL Predictions: Edmonton over Kootenay in 5....Moose Jaw over Regina in 6....Brandon over Calgary in 6....Saskatoon over Medicine Hat in 7....Tri-City over Everett in 5....Kamloops over Victoria in 4....Portland over Kelowna in 4....Vancouver over Spokane in 6

Figured someone needed to update the stats tracker since Ring-A-Ding isn't here...

Stat Tracker:

S. Beartschi: 2 Games - 0 Goals - 4 Assists - 4 Points - 4 PIM - +3

L. Brossoit: 1 Games - 1 Wins - 0 Losses - 0.00 GAA - 1.000 SV% - 1 SO

M. Ferland: 2 Games - 1 Goals - 1 Assists - 2 Points - 4 PIM - +2

J. Leach: 1 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 2 PIM - -1

M. Reinhart: 1 Games - 0 Goals - 0 Assists - 0 Points - 0 PIM - -2

T. Wotherspoon: 2 Games - 1 Goal - 1 Assist - 2 Points - 0 PIM - +4

The Svenster already has 4 PIM, that's the same amount as Mike Ferland, the prodigal mean-as-watermelon boxer....

Looks like Kootenay's in tough against Edmonton. Don't expect too much out of the reigning WHL Champs, so we won't see the gaudy stats that Reinhart posted in last year's surprise run.

My WHL Predictions: Edmonton over Kootenay in 5....Moose Jaw over Regina in 6....Brandon over Calgary in 6....Saskatoon over Medicine Hat in 7....Tri-City over Everett in 5....Kamloops over Victoria in 4....Portland over Kelowna in 4....Vancouver over Spokane in 6

much obliged, I was just coming in to update this, haven't had much time the last few days. I will paste into the OP

Michael Ferland - 1 Goal

In Sundays 4-1 Brandon Wheat Kings win over the Calgary Hitmen.

Max Reinhart - 2 Assists, +1, 4 PIM

Joey Leach - 1 Goal, +2, 2 PIM

Laurent Brossoit - +1 Win, 1.5 GAA, 0.944 SV%

In Sundays 4-3 Edmonton Oil Kings win over the Kootenay Ice.

S. Beartschi: 2 Games - 0 Goals - 5 Assists - 5 Points - 4 PIM - +3

T. Wotherspoon: 2 Games - 1 Goals - 1 Assists - 2 Points - 0 PIM - +4

M. Ferland: 3 Games - 2 Goals - 1 Assists - 3 Points - 4 PIM - +2

J. Leach: 2 Games - 1 Goals - 0 Assists - 1 Points - 4 PIM - +1

M. Reinhart: 2 Games - 0 Goals - 2 Assists - 2 Points - 4 PIM - -1

L. Brossoit: 2 Games - 2 Wins - 0 Losses - 1.50 GAA - 0.944 SV% - 1 SO - 1 Assist

*Updated after Sunday March 25 2012*

Michael Ferland

No stat changes in Tuesdays 3-1 Brandon Wheat Kings win over the Calgary Hitmen.

WHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Series 3-1, For the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Sven Baertschi - 2 Goals, 2 Assists, +3

Tyler Wotherspoon - +3

In Tuesdays 4-2 Portland Winterhawks win over the Kelowna Rockets

WHL Western Conference Quarterfinal Series 3-0, For the Portland Winterhawks

S. Baertschi: 3 Games - 2 Goals - 7 Assists - 9 Points - 4 PIM - +6

T. Wotherspoon: 3 Games - 1 Goals - 1 Assists - 2 Points - 0 PIM - +7

M. Ferland: 4 Games - 2 Goals - 1 Assists - 3 Points - 4 PIM - +2

L. Brossoit: 2 Games - 2 Wins - 0 Losses - 1.50 GAA - 0.944 SV% - 1 SO - 1 Assist

*Updated after Tuesday March 27th, 2012*

Michael Ferland

No stat changes in Tuesdays 3-1 Brandon Wheat Kings win over the Calgary Hitmen.

WHL Eastern Conference Quarterfinal Series 3-1, For the Brandon Wheat Kings.

Sven Baertschi - 2 Goals, 2 Assists, +3

Tyler Wotherspoon - +3

In Tuesdays 4-2 Portland Winterhawks win over the Kelowna Rockets

WHL Western Conference Quarterfinal Series 3-0, For the Portland Winterhawks

S. Baertschi: 3 Games - 2 Goals - 7 Assists - 9 Points - 4 PIM - +6

*Updated after Tuesday March 27th, 2012*

OP updated, thanks again

Max Reinhart: +1, 12 PIM

Joey Leach: -1, 2 PIM

Laurent Brossoit: +1 Win, 26 Shots faced, 23 Saves

In Wednesdays 6-3 Edmonton Oil Kings win over the Kootenay Ice

Series is 3-0 for Edmonton

S. Baertschi: 3 Games - 2 Goals - 7 Assists - 9 Points - 4 PIM - +7

J. Leach: 3 Games - 1 Goals - 0 Assists - 1 Points - 6 PIM - Even +/-

M. Reinhart: 3 Games - 0 Goals - 2 Assists - 2 Points - 6 PIM - Even +/-

L. Brossoit: 3 Games - 3 Wins - 0 Losses - 2.00 GAA - 0.925 SV% - 1 SO - 1 Assist

*Updated after Wednesday March 28, 2012*

Max is all but a guarantee, but Leach needs to negotiate a PTO or his ELC first

Not that I don't agree with you as I think that would be awsome for his development but would that not burn a year off his ECL? you know if he plays more than 9 games. I could be wrong but I thought Wahl signed a PTO after his playoff's were done so he could do just the same and he was under contract to the Flames with an ECL. Could anyone clarify this for me.

Real Important day for our prospects in the WHL all our prospects play today.

Portland Winterhawks series is 3-0, Could advance to the 2nd round with a win today.

Sven Baertschi, Tyler Wotherspoon

Brandon Wheat Kings series is 3-1, Could advance to the 2nd round win a win today.

Michael Ferland

Edmonton Oil Kings - Kelowna Rockets series is 3-0 for Edmonton, Laurent Brossoit could move onto the 2nd round, but Max Reinhart and Joey Leach are fighting for their playoff lives.

Edmonton Oil Kings

Laurent Brossoit

Kelowna Rockets

Max Reinhart, Joey Leach

Not that I don't agree with you as I think that would be awsome for his development but would that not burn a year off his ECL? you know if he plays more than 9 games. I could be wrong but I thought Wahl signed a PTO after his playoff's were done so he could do just the same and he was under contract to the Flames with an ECL. Could anyone clarify this for me.

AHL games don't burn anything off an ELC and I believe ELCs have the AHL PTOs written into them.

Archived