Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well...looks like Chia Pet had the gonads to do what the other Oilers Gm's didn't. Its still early but the Taylor Hall trade looks one sided at face value. A lot of Oilers fans are happy about the Lucic signing but that term is going to be a killer. I highlly doubt Chia will be around to see Lucic's contract through. They have improved their defence but not enough to see them into the playoffs. You have to wonder if Hall really was the cancer in the room, I'm surprised Yakupov is still an Oiler, his value must be at an all time low. They've drafted some pretty good young D in Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones but I think the gong show that is the Oilers will continue into next season. I would love nothing more than to hand them a loss in their season home opener in their shiny new stadium. Time will tell if these moves prove to be enough to generate the progress this team and city so desperately needs. Tax payers are gonna be mighty peeved if they see more of the same ol' Oilers come next season.

Well...looks like Chia Pet had the gonads to do what the other Oilers Gm's didn't. Its still early but the Taylor Hall trade looks one sided at face value. A lot of Oilers fans are happy about the Lucic signing but that term is going to be a killer. I highlly doubt Chia will be around to see Lucic's contract through. They have improved their defence but not enough to see them into the playoffs. You have to wonder if Hall really was the cancer in the room, I'm surprised Yakupov is still an Oiler, his value must be at an all time low. They've drafted some pretty good young D in Ethan Bear and Caleb Jones but I think the gong show that is the Oilers will continue into next season. I would love nothing more than to hand them a loss in their season home opener in their shiny new stadium. Time will tell if these moves prove to be enough to generate the progress this team and city so desperately needs. Tax payers are gonna be mighty peeved if they see more of the same ol' Oilers come next season.

Sometimes that's how it works. I remember Jay Feaster got fired from TB because he "didn't want to be known as the GM that traded Vinny Lecavalier."

Darryl Sutter didn't want to fire his brother, so he got himself fired.

Sometimes GMs get too attached to their guys.

Sometimes that's how it works. I remember Jay Feaster got fired from TB because he "didn't want to be known as the GM that traded Vinny Lecavalier."

Yup.   

I get depressed thinking how much further ahead we would be if we had traded Iggy just 2 years earlier

Well...looks like Chia Pet had the gonads to do what the other Oilers Gm's didn't. Its still early but the Taylor Hall trade looks one sided at face value.

That trade has been over-analyzed to death. What I see is that a lot of hockey analysts, particularly NHL radio, are completely head-over-heels in love with Hall.

My opinion is what Hall lacks in IQ he tries to make up for in aggression. Where many thought pre-McDavid Hall was the favourite for Captain, it never materialized.

For me, Hall is the guy that pots you 35 and ends up -10 in the +/-. I don't take a ton away from +/-, but in terms of goalscorers, if they are minus players, I always give that the hairy eyeball.

You can score 70 if you like, but if you're minus 7, we're losing more than we win.

AKA, Oileritis.

So for myself, I'd keep RNH over Hall if I have the D likes of Yak already, I have McDavid, Eberle and now Pulju.

I'm happy with Larrson over Hall to front the backend. A 23 yr old that WILL mature at 25-26 ala Hedman imho.

No one would complain for 31 yr old Seabrook at $6.75 for 7 more yrs for Hall.

A 23 yr old Larsson at 4.166 for 6yrs for Hall is savvy, imho.

Both Subban (HIS D in the West lol) and Weber would have been bad deals imho.

Most days I'm on an island it seems, even talking Oilers friends down from the cliff.

Most think the Oilers should have gotten a 2nd or a good prospect as well.

I really don't.

Give Larsson his "Hamilton" year. He's a better fit than Hall at the end of the day is my guess.

Larsson is going to earn a boatload of backend trust in every situation imho.

That alone is worth Hall, considering their forward ranks.

I don't think that there is much analysis about the Oilers/NJ trade. Edmonton was totally fleeced in the deal, full stop. Having said that, they did improve their club overall though. It would be the same as if I bought a new Benz to replace the old rusty, backfiring station wagon. I clearly have more reliable transportation, but I could very well have paid too much for the new vehicle. The two are not the same thing at all. You can get better overall and be fleeced at the same time.

Maybe Larsson becomes a stellar defenseman, maybe not. Let's be clear though, at this point, he is no P.K. Subban, Hedman, Weber etc. 

I don't think that there is much analysis about the Oilers/NJ trade. Edmonton was totally fleeced in the deal, full stop. Having said that, they did improve their club overall though. It would be the same as if I bought a new Benz to replace the old rusty, backfiring station wagon. I clearly have more reliable transportation, but I could very well have paid too much for the new vehicle. The two are not the same thing at all. You can get better overall and be fleeced at the same time.

Maybe Larsson becomes a stellar defenseman, maybe not. Let's be clear though, at this point, he is no P.K. Subban, Hedman, Weber etc. 

MAybe the analogy is that you traded your sports car for a Volvo; reliable and safe.  You then went out and paid $70k for a fancy truck.  You have two new forms of transportation.  One doesn't turn heads but gets the job done.  The other looks shiny and new but you got it to intimidate the cars that are smaller and faster.  

I tend to believe that it's more akin to trading a gamete for a spore, and then adding a myxozoan spore.

I would rather try and trade away a myxosporean parasite...  Even for picks...   Benning might go for it...

Thanks, Cowtownguy.  It's funny how many of the lines from those classic comedies found their way into my brain.  Blazing Saddles, Animal House, Caddyshack, Young Frankenstein, etc...

Now, back to the theme of this thread...

If Chiarelli had managed to trade Eberle for Larsson, there'd be a lot more discussion about who won this trade.  He overpaid badly.

Thanks, Cowtownguy.  It's funny how many of the lines from those classic comedies found their way into my brain.  Blazing Saddles, Animal House, Caddyshack, Young Frankenstein, etc...

If Chiarelli had managed to trade Eberle for Larsson, there'd be a lot more discussion about who won this trade.  He overpaid badly.

If the Isles had traded Hamonic for Hall, the fans would have been screaming for a better return, but would have been able to justify the player as a possible #1.  Once he rescinded his trade request, the deal had no legs to it.  

I think Larsson will be a good D-man, but I think Chia had his focus set too narrowly.  He wanted Larsson and agreed to pay whatever the asking price was.  Strange that he didn't even seem to ask Nashville if anyone was available.  Larsson is another player with good performance that will have to grow into a top 2 role, whether he is suited for that or not.  Sounds like the Oilers to me.

What I need to ask, is which Dman does everyone think Hall is worth?

Beyond Larsson I'm thinking they got the best Dman deal they were going to get for Hall.

Not peddling Hall to every team, to me, means Larsson was the target. I have to assume NJ said no to everything except Hall.

Many seem to act like this was an off-the-cuff decision, but when does that ever happen?

I'd give Chia the benefit of the doubt that he had eyes on several Dmen, and Larsson was at or near the top of the list.

He's filling the needs of his team, and I believe in 2 yrs we're going to see he nailed it. There is great value in the coming yrs on Larsson's contract.

Plus, his Lucic meeting was prior to the trade. Everyone was 99% sure he was signing Lucic, save $1.9ish off of Hall's contract, add Larsson and sign Lucic.

That's not a bad play imho.

If we made a play for Hall, would you trade Brodie?

I'd be pissed. So why is Larsson an overpayment when your main need is a responsible stay-at-home-D?

Because NHL 2016 says so?

Beyond Larsson I'm thinking they got the best Dman deal they were going to get for Hall.

Not peddling Hall to every team, to me, means Larsson was the target. I have to assume NJ said no to everything except Hall.

Many seem to act like this was an off-the-cuff decision, but when does that ever happen?

I'd give Chia the benefit of the doubt that he had eyes on several Dmen, and Larsson was at or near the top of the list.

He's filling the needs of his team, and I believe in 2 yrs we're going to see he nailed it. There is great value in the coming yrs on Larsson's contract.

Plus, his Lucic meeting was prior to the trade. Everyone was 99% sure he was signing Lucic, save $1.9ish off of Hall's contract, add Larsson and sign Lucic.

I'd be pissed. So why is Larsson an overpayment when your main need is a responsible stay-at-home-D?

Personally I think they should have got a little more for hall, I understand larssons contract is more value then halls is, but still at this point he should have at least got a draft pick in my opinion in the trade, I dont think it was fair value straight across.

The lucic deal is going to bite the oilers in the butt in 2 years, and its going to be hilarious, there is no way hes playing to full value for the duration of that contract, hes getting slower every season.

You can always justify it by looking at Lucic.  But that has zero to do with the trade.  

Hall for Brodie?  How is that the same as Hall for Larsson.  Leading scoring winger for a defense.

How about Gaudreau for Larsson?  Leading scoring winger for a defense.

Personally I think they should have got a little more for hall, I understand larssons contract is more value then halls is, but still at this point he should have at least got a draft pick in my opinion in the trade, I dont think it was fair value straight across.

The lucic deal is going to bite the oilers in the butt in 2 years, and its going to be hilarious, there is no way hes playing to full value for the duration of that contract, hes getting slower every season.

For the bolded, it "might".

There is no saying infinitely it will. Look at their top 6, Lucic isn't there for his creativity.

He just has to be strong on the puck and intimidating, that's his game.

He isn't the go-to guy, inevitably. But right now he is an element and leader the Oilers clearly lacked.

How many young guys do you need to rampage through in your top 6 before you recognize there is no leadership?

From Gagne and Cogliano to Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

Chia's trading Hall also serves to send a message: No one should be getting all cozy.

Second yr of Chiarelli and MacLellan, the Coilers are going to be a handful in 2017, by my peg.

If Talbot decides they win close games, they'll be a handful this yr.

I'm not sold on Talbot

You can always justify it by looking at Lucic.  But that has zero to do with the trade.  

Hall for Brodie?  How is that the same as Hall for Larsson.  Leading scoring winger for a defense.

How about Gaudreau for Larsson?  Leading scoring winger for a defense.

How is that different? It's the same equation in reverse...

Again, I wouldn't trade Hall straight across for Gaudreau, so not a valid comparison imho.

If you think that's the same, all the power to you.

We disagree.

For the bolded, it "might".

There is no saying infinitely it will. Look at their top 6, Lucic isn't there for his creativity.

He just has to be strong on the puck and intimidating, that's his game.

He isn't the go-to guy, inevitably. But right now he is an element and leader the Oilers clearly lacked.

How many young guys do you need to rampage through in your top 6 before you recognize there is no leadership?

From Gagne and Cogliano to Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

Chia's trading Hall also serves to send a message: No one should be getting all cozy.

Second yr of Chiarelli and MacLellan, the Coilers are going to be a handful in 2017, by my peg.

If Talbot decides they win close games, they'll be a handful this yr.

I'm not sold on Talbot

How is that different? It's the same equation in reverse...

Again, I wouldn't trade Hall straight across for Gaudreau, so not a valid comparison imho.

If you think that's the same, all the power to you.

We disagree.

I dont disagree with you that it helps them in the short term, and I like the hall trade I just think they should have got a little bit more for him. I live in edmonton so I get to listen to all the talk shows up here and they arent very happy with the lucic signing, everyone agrees that short term its a good signing, long term its going to bite them in the checking from behind, unless you think the game is slowing down, which I dont. The whole justifying the hall trade with the lucic signing doesnt really make sense to me either.

Larsson played good minutes in NJ last year, and getting a young D men on a good contract who he can do that is going to cost you, they still could have got a 2nd on top for hall.

Archived