Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like Oil fans have four options...

1. - Look disgusted.

2. - Laugh at the comedy / tragedy.

3. - Wear the bag of shame.

4. - Follow the lead of the fan in the bottom left of the pic and try and drink your sorrows away.

8c43365c6d28f72df00dc05dc70288dd.png

That's exactly what I am thinking. If you get some good players who compliment each other, the team game does more for you that just a one line team.

If Edmonton can get a few more pieces or a couple of their defence prospects come into their own, they can turn it around in a hurry. Right now it looks bad, but when the players get complimentary help, then they will take the next step.

We are lucky we have players we drafted outside the first round. And if we had a good team. Would some of our rookies still be playing in the nhl? But still, we're looking up for sure.

You don't need high end skill everywhere in your lineup, but you do need skill, size, and speed. A good system implemented by the coach helps too. We also got lucky finding Giordano and so far Jooris.

I think you believe EDM is closer than they actually are. They made the decision to keep Jultz in their core and let Ptery walk at the end of this year. Strike 1. They have two career backup goalies with good backup numbers, but have not locked up the most important position on the team. No starter goalie. Strike 2. They have wasted development years of Yak, Draisaitl, and Nuge by playing them top minutes in a losing environment. They are about 4 defensemen shy of an NHL defense. They have very little scoring depth. They have rewarded players for losing with multi-million dollar contracts, mostly based on potential.

Ant they continue to believe that they know a little something about winning, and keep the same old-boy network running the asylum. Their drafting is not very good, and their best prospect is probably Klefbom. Chase is typical of the type of character they draft. Strike 3.

No, I am just saying they could have a good foundation of forwards to build off of if they can turn things around, like the Islanders did this previous offseason. Although islanders were deeper on the prospect pool than the oilers.

They do have Nurse coming up. And from what I read of their prospects a couple of other defenders, but who knows when and if they make the jump.

I understand your points and fully agree with them. Maybe they use this years draft as a change in their philosophy. Do they trade their 1st overall and go the Nordiques/Avalanche route when they traded Lindros, or do they trade Hall or Hopkins for complimentary pieces?

No, I am just saying they could have a good foundation of forwards to build off of if they can turn things around, like the Islanders did this previous offseason. Although islanders were deeper on the prospect pool than the oilers.

They do have Nurse coming up. And from what I read of their prospects a couple of other defenders, but who knows when and if they make the jump.

I understand your points and fully agree with them. Maybe they use this years draft as a change in their philosophy. Do they trade their 1st overall and go the Nordiques/Avalanche route when they traded Lindros, or do they trade Hall or Hopkins for complimentary pieces?

I see Draisaitl as a good to great player, if he is handled properly. Nuge is good. Hall is pretty darn good, but suffers from the "me" syndrome. Yak is good as a single player but will never be a great team guy. Eberle will never be anything other than a soft player, even though I think his skills could be through the roof. Other than that, what does the Oilers have? Perron is skilled but doesn't fit their "team" game.

Not to belabour the point, but the Oilers have a group of forwards that have mostly been fully "developed". They aren't busting out at the top of the league. They need 2-3 NHL centers this year and some complementary wingers.

The Flames, on the other hand, have 3 rookies in the lineup (2 aren't even considered their top prospects) that have years of development ahead of them, but still are looking NHL calibre and outscoring most of the supposed Oiler elite. Monahan is a guy that could have benefitted the Oilers, but they tend to go for the shiny types. He is already playing a better game than a Yak, and more of a team player than Eberle.

I said I totally agree and don't overvalue the oilers. They have a high end first line skill wise and their second line is a few years away from developing.

While Yak can still develop into more, but that depends on whether they can shift his attitude. I thought the same way about Kadri as you do about Yak. Kadri has changed my mind with his play and development. Something clicked or changed in him this year... Yak I don't care about. All I was saying is they have a foundation of good forwards and possibly a small group of D prospects. They need to tweak something and it's possible this offseason is the year they do more drastic.

But I agree with your analysis of them.

We always had a lot of 3rd and 4th line guys but never the high end elite talent and kept looking for them to play with Iginla. We always think the 3rd and 4th liners are easy to attain while the high end guys aren't. Maybe I am wishing the oilers get better because I am now tired of hearing about how terrible they are, and how inept their management is.

We have a good mix of depth and I hope we continue to emphasize developing our prospects. Eventually we will spend to the cap and having excess players on the farm to make a jump will be vital to success, like how Chicago does things.

I see Draisaitl as a good to great player, if he is handled properly. Nuge is good. Hall is pretty darn good, but suffers from the "me" syndrome. Yak is good as a single player but will never be a great team guy. Eberle will never be anything other than a soft player, even though I think his skills could be through the roof. Other than that, what does the Oilers have? Perron is skilled but doesn't fit their "team" game.

Not to belabour the point, but the Oilers have a group of forwards that have mostly been fully "developed". They aren't busting out at the top of the league. They need 2-3 NHL centers this year and some complementary wingers.

The Flames, on the other hand, have 3 rookies in the lineup (2 aren't even considered their top prospects) that have years of development ahead of them, but still are looking NHL calibre and outscoring most of the supposed Oiler elite. Monahan is a guy that could have benefitted the Oilers, but they tend to go for the shiny types. He is already playing a better game than a Yak, and more of a team player than Eberle.

Perron is now a Penguin lol

I said I totally agree and don't overvalue the oilers. They have a high end first line skill wise and their second line is a few years away from developing.

While Yak can still develop into more, but that depends on whether they can shift his attitude. I thought the same way about Kadri as you do about Yak. Kadri has changed my mind with his play and development. Something clicked or changed in him this year... Yak I don't care about. All I was saying is they have a foundation of good forwards and possibly a small group of D prospects. They need to tweak something and it's possible this offseason is the year they do more drastic.

But I agree with your analysis of them.

We always had a lot of 3rd and 4th line guys but never the high end elite talent and kept looking for them to play with Iginla. We always think the 3rd and 4th liners are easy to attain while the high end guys aren't. Maybe I am wishing the oilers get better because I am now tired of hearing about how terrible they are, and how inept their management is.

We have a good mix of depth and I hope we continue to emphasize developing our prospects. Eventually we will spend to the cap and having excess players on the farm to make a jump will be vital to success, like how Chicago does things.

Here is where I don't get it. All I read and have heard for year's is how skilled the top line is. I don't see it! Do these guys have some fancy moves and can they skate sure, are they a game changing force in a game, Hell NO.

Oilers have now traded Perron, which really if you watch any of the games, there bottom 6 are more of a threat than the top 6.

This Perron trade pisses me off, as a flames fan and as a hockey fan. My thoughts right now echo what robrob said earlier, if the oilers could turn it around like the islanders of this year, watch out. As much as we can bash the oilers team, management, fans. The fact is those players were the top of their draft years for a good reason. Add a player who is being said as the next Crosby esq player and it only makes it more dangerous.

What makes me irate, is the fact it was reported that Perron was to be traded a month or so ago, after he called out people's characters. I called it saying if the trade the guy who gives a damn (similar to

Smid) then they are tanking and being blatant about it.

So let's take a trip on a few hypothetical what if's,

What if the plan was to always target mcdavid since MacT became GM?

What if lowes master plan is to make a team be a dynasty by having the most high end players (first rounds)

What if the reason the "core" (eberle,hall,RNH,jshultz) is untouchable is because they fit the 1st round Mold

Let's go back to the losing streak this year (the 11 game one in case we got confused) the press conference MacT held was pointless at the time. Everyone scratched their heads collectively as to why you would come out to say basically nothing but a few confidence words towards the coach. To me it's all fluff!!!! They are buying their time till the team is filled to the brim with young talent. Hoping the oiler fans wait it out and when (if) it comes together, nobody will give a elbowing of 10 years of being crap. But you win one cup and your now elite.

Back to the coaches we all knew this all along, the coaches were the scapegoats. It's why they don't look to a vet coach. The goal isn't to build a winning culture it's to build a team of first rounders.

Nobody wants to go to Edmonton so they just throw in the towel and say we will just draft them then.

boardinging team should rename themselves the Edmonton tankers so nobody forgets what a piss poor organization it is and how they look to build their team.

/end rant

All good points which begs the question: (assuming they are not tanking..(lmfao right))

How long does an oil change take in Edmonton?

Lol mr lube in Calgary should use that as their slogan

"How long does an oil change take in Edmonton? 6 years and counting, but we can do it in under 30mins come in today"

Draisaitl could have helped the Germans in the WJC. He would have learned a lot more, Germany would have had a chance to avoid relegation.

And all only to show the shiny new toy for nothing. Thank you very much! That helped Germany a lot to maybe improve the development of new prospects. Well.... Edmonton stays a dead end for prospects!

Why are we event talking about Edmonton as an NHL team? Any beer-league team has more to offer.....

I think I will have to go for a walk to calm down.......

Draisaitl could have helped the Germans in the WJC. He would have learned a lot more, Germany would have had a chance to avoid relegation.

And all only to show the shiny new toy for nothing. Thank you very much! That helped Germany a lot to maybe improve the development of new prospects. Well.... Edmonton stays a dead end for prospects!

Why are we event talking about Edmonton as an NHL team? Any beer-league team has more to offer.....

I think I will have to go for a walk to calm down.......

I think the Oilers should be relegated, and either bring up the top AHL team or the top European team.

Oilers are making the right choice on Draisaitl. It will burn a year sure and it was stupid of then to even have him up here at any point but regardless of the circumstance you have to do what's right long term and clearly the oilers are going no where anytime soon. It's just crazy how incompetent a franchise this has become and i just can't see how Katz can possible keep these guys employed. The oilers are the worst run pro sports franchise right now bar none.

Oilers are making the right choice on Draisaitl. It will burn a year sure and it was stupid of then to even have him up here at any point but regardless of the circumstance you have to do what's right long term and clearly the oilers are going no where anytime soon. It's just crazy how incompetent a franchise this has become and i just can't see how Katz can possible keep these guys employed. The oilers are the worst run pro sports franchise right now bar none.

The incompetence was keeping him up to begin with. I agree the right call is to send him down now.

Katz is part of the issue I think. You can't fire the owner. But that is probably what needs to happen.

That said. He did bring on Nicholson. We will see what Katz does based on his assessment.

Funny thing is they knew Bennett was the better prospect with a higher ceiling but they drafted Draisatl because he was supposedly the most ready prospect to step right into the NHL.

& that they overdosed on smaller skilled forwards. Draisaitl @ least brought size.

Their loss, our gain.

:)

After they traded Perron and with the sending of Draisatl down, I thought for sure this was Lowe's/Mact's tanking engine getting into high gear. Then they rip off a win against the Isles.

Oh the irony. I'm actually cheering for the Oil to get wins now. At least go .500 the rest of the season! 

Poor McDavid and Eichel are probably doing the same thing.

After they traded Perron and with the sending of Draisatl down, I thought for sure this was Lowe's/Mact's tanking engine getting into high gear. Then they rip off a win against the Isles.

Oh the irony. I'm actually cheering for the Oil to get wins now. At least go .500 the rest of the season! 

Poor McDavid and Eichel are probably doing the same thing.

Eichel can @ least stay in school & then Justin Schultz them if they don't trade his rights. :lol:

I'm cheering so hard for edmonton to win more then buffalo and carolina, I would gladly watch mcdavid and eichel go to them other then edmonton. Wouldnt hurt if we won the lottery and they got pushed to drafting 4th either but I can dream cant I.

Archived