EDM Perron traded to PIT

Kulstad

They did however get a first round pick that they could flip for a good roster player to help turn things around..........oh wait, this is the Oilers we're talking about. 

yes but they gave up the 10th overall pick(Paajarvi) and a 2nd rounder to get Perron... so this now becomes 

a 1st and 2nd rounder for Pens 1st round( 25th+) and Klinkhammer...

Yes this is the Oilers and their drafting we are talking...

So I was thinking about all the fanfare MacT got when he aquired Perron:

25eb65f5e5c4cbf43eca5718c08335d8.png

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/24/david-perron-trade-a-rare-brilliant-moment-for-the-edmonton-oilers/

yes but they gave up the 10th overall pick(Paajarvi) and a 2nd rounder to get Perron... so this now becomes 

Yes this is the Oilers and their drafting we are talking...

So I was thinking about all the fanfare MacT got when he aquired Perron:

25eb65f5e5c4cbf43eca5718c08335d8.png

http://blogs.edmontonjournal.com/2014/04/24/david-perron-trade-a-rare-brilliant-moment-for-the-edmonton-oilers/

It boggles the mind doesn't it?

What boggles the mind is that some of the kool-aid drinkers believe this is a good move? Hard to believe any would think that trading a vet that was one of their best forwards last year for scraps and a 1st rounder.  Delay the rebuild by another 3 years for the newest shiny toys.

Hello Tank-nation.

I wish the Flames would have the balls to trade Glencross for a first round pick. And then, sign him back this summer.

The first part I could agree with, but if they resigned him it better be to a 2-3 year contract without NMC's

Though I wish he wouldn't come back after he leaves.

I read this trade this morning and I couldn't believe my eyes, the oiler's are going to be in rebuild mode for a decade+

I wish the Flames would have the balls to trade Glencross for a first round pick. And then, sign him back this summer.

Glencross is a rental & carries a NMC.

Perron is 1 & the remainder of the season & fills a top 6 winger spot the Pens are short of.

Apples & cucumbers. :)

That 2nd rounder (33rd OA) is Barbashev who looked good against the US today.

PJs was a nothing (already waived with no takers) so the Oilers are a few picks higher in the 2015 draft then their 2014 pick but shed their 10th OA from 2010 after giving him 0 developement for an undrafted player with 125 games & will be on his 3rd team this season.

Oiler fans expect grit due to his size. His #s are closer to Lady Byng territory. :lol:

That 2nd rounder (33rd OA) is Barbashev who looked good against the US today.

PJs was a nothing (already waived with no takers) so the Oilers are a few picks higher in the 2015 draft then their 2014 pick but shed their 10th OA from 2010 after giving him 0 developement for an undrafted player with 125 games & will be on his 3rd team this season.

Oiler fans expect grit due to his size. His #s are closer to Lady Byng territory. :lol:

While I'm not excited about Klinkhammer,  I wouldn't say 80 hits in 29 games is Lady Bingish either.  Hopefully this move gets Yakupov better quality minutes. 

Not that I'm one to defend the oilers, but it's been out thre for a while that Perron was very unhappy in Edmonton and had basically demanded a trade. To get a first and a depth player for him when he is asking out is not that bad. When you trade mid seasons you rarely get value for value or get roster player for roster player so it makes sense to get best pick you can. Most will say they don't need the picks but I would disagree. Their farm system is not very good, not very deep

Not that I'm one to defend the oilers, but it's been out thre for a while that Perron was very unhappy in Edmonton and had basically demanded a trade. To get a first and a depth player for him when he is asking out is not that bad. When you trade mid seasons you rarely get value for value or get roster player for roster player so it makes sense to get best pick you can. Most will say they don't need the picks but I would disagree. Their farm system is not very good, not very deep

The rumour was Perron trade to PITTS for Sutter+. At least that was what I remember. Also, I don't recall him demanding a trade as much as him being frustrated with the lack of passion in the dressing room.

Either way, it is trading a scoring winger for a 3-4th line C (if C is accurate) and a late 1st. Shows no desire to compete this season. No fix to an ailing D or a lacklustre goalie situation. If he plays C, and they send down Draisaitl, I would say he offers about what they gave up in Arcobello.

You would think a player that calls out his team for coasting every game would be worth more then just another guy that coasts on one of the worst teams in NHL history. That atleast shows he has some desire to win. First Smid and now Perron.

Sends a certain message that you should stfu unless you're one of their "super stars"

You would think a player that calls out his team for coasting every game would be worth more then just another guy that coasts on one of the worst teams in NHL history. That atleast shows he has some desire to win. First Smid and now Perron.

Sends a certain message that you should stfu unless you're one of their "super stars"

In terms of building a team, I agree with you. They are unloading the right attitudes from the team because they can't stand to be with the bad attitudes. But whoever accused the modern Oilers of knowing how to build a team.

In terms of getting a decent return I think they did that. But it doesn't solve any of their issues in the immediate future.

The Oiler's Rebuild 3.0 is in full swing.

Their management is so obviously tanking this season.

I wish Perron all the best in Pittsburgh.

This is actually a decent trade for when you want to rebuild.  Unfortunately, the Oilers shouldn't still be rebuilding after all these years.

Perron going from the worst team in the NHL to one that's a Cup contender.  Must feel good.

I know that New Jersey got penalized for cap circumvention, and had their first pushed to the end of the first round. 

The question I have is for a team like Edmonton that appears to be doing nothing but intentionally tanking to ensure they get one of the two elite prospects, should they receive the same treatment. Ottawa got investigated for tanking back with Daigle, but they really just sucked. 

Both the Arcobello for Roy and Perron for Klinkhammer were pretty major downgrades in overall ability. They lost their 4th and 6th best point producers, 31 points thus far combined, and replaced them with a pair that have 16 point prior to their trades (Roy has 1 with the Oilers)

The more important question is, how can you proof that they are intentionally tanking.

What has the board of GMs defined as tanking. The Devils had an illegal contract with Kovalchuk. They got it back after he retired, leaving the Devils with nothing (that is the official reason that they got the 30th pick last season)

Is there anything that is an absolute proof for tanking? One thing, you have to ice the best players available. But nothing about trading away the best players like that. There is already waivers, if you try to put your best players into the AHL. So this risk is too high. If the players play bad hockey on demand from management, there is no way to proof it.

The only thing that would help is that there is no lottery and that every team has a 1st overall pick every 30 years. So no more drafting by standings. Cool thing about it... if you trade away your first round pick, you exactly know which one it will be.

The more important question is, how can you proof that they are intentionally tanking.

What has the board of GMs defined as tanking. The Devils had an illegal contract with Kovalchuk. They got it back after he retired, leaving the Devils with nothing (that is the official reason that they got the 30th pick last season)

Is there anything that is an absolute proof for tanking? One thing, you have to ice the best players available. But nothing about trading away the best players like that. There is already waivers, if you try to put your best players into the AHL. So this risk is too high. If the players play bad hockey on demand from management, there is no way to proof it.

The only thing that would help is that there is no lottery and that every team has a 1st overall pick every 30 years. So no more drafting by standings. Cool thing about it... if you trade away your first round pick, you exactly know which one it will be.

I agree there is virtually no way to prove tanking, versus, say, total incompetence. I also agree the draft rules should be changed as a disincentive to actively tank. Your idea has some merit, but I would rather just accelerate the rule changes to be implemented next year, i.e. draft lottery for the first 4 overall picks. That would do a lot to blunt the charge to the bottom.

Archived