RIP Johnny hockey

Addicted

Went with my family on Saturday and this, while a very somber one, is a very powerful memorial. Support from Calgarian is impressive but not surprising. This continues to grow daily.

Nice to see they are going to find a way to accommodate it moving forward

• Like 2

From my own experiences, it takes waaay too much time (edit - to end) before you realize, a full 5 minutes after waking up, that you just had a very real dream. They are indeed gone, and the grief is renewed.

I really wish I could paint it more tenderly, but yeah.

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/other/flames-to-host-candlelight-vigil-for-johnny-and-matthew-gaudreau-on-wednesday-evening/ar-AA1pWxAd?cvid=ea07445273044ae1a7276b41edec1a7e&ei=13

Going to support this, after being absent for awhile on the forums and after a great reset time to get my hockey face back on and start with this, Johnny and Matthew will forever be in our memories, we had the great experience watching true talent on ice.  May they both be in peace and thoughts of warm wishes with their families, I say all Calgarians are truly blessed to have had the privilege of knowing them and watching them.

RIP Gaudreaus!

11 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

I have never seen so much support for a player by calgary fans ever i heard there were 10000 fans at the vigil huge ammount of support

The story is so tragic.  Not even a random accident or health related death.  Killed because some fool decided he was much too important to drive according to traffic.  Too selfish to drive without drinking.  The life of two young men snuffed out while they were in their prime.  Fans recognize Johnny as the franchise player that would have broken every Flames record had he stayed.  But he was loved by the fans as the little guy that was larger than life.  Iggy without the fighting.  Fleury with the attitude.  

I'm still coming to terms with the loss and he wasn't even on our team anymore.  It's like losing a friend and it doesn't hit you all at once.  You go to a place and then think back to who you shared it with.  You see a hockey game and remember watching a special play or special goal.  

There hasn't been any story like this in the NHL for an active player of this skill level or star status.  I don't have a great memory for this kind of thing, but the last one I remember was Demitra after he left the NHL for the KHL.  Tim Hortons or the NYR goalie or Tim Sawchuck?  Not a lot.  

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

The story is so tragic.  Not even a random accident or health related death.  Killed because some fool decided he was much too important to drive according to traffic.  Too selfish to drive without drinking.  The life of two young men snuffed out while they were in their prime.  Fans recognize Johnny as the franchise player that would have broken every Flames record had he stayed.  But he was loved by the fans as the little guy that was larger than life.  Iggy without the fighting.  Fleury with the attitude.  

I'm still coming to terms with the loss and he wasn't even on our team anymore.  It's like losing a friend and it doesn't hit you all at once.  You go to a place and then think back to who you shared it with.  You see a hockey game and remember watching a special play or special goal.  

There hasn't been any story like this in the NHL for an active player of this skill level or star status.  I don't have a great memory for this kind of thing, but the last one I remember was Demitra after he left the NHL for the KHL.  Tim Hortons or the NYR goalie or Tim Sawchuck?  Not a lot.  

I havent really commented on the whole ordeal but I dont think theres anything I could say that hasnt already been said by anyone here. I made the mistake of watching the court cam of the offenders arraignment. The fact he rolled his eyes when he was told he was being detained until Thursday instantly made my blood boil. A glaring view of how minor of an infraction the offender believes this is. I was a volunteer fire fighter for years and seen first hand the end results of these same attitudes and actions and I know Johnnys celeb status shouldnt make a difference but I hope the spotlight on this leaves it less likely for any kind of reduced sentence or plea deal.

Pelle Lindberg comes to mind.

1 hour ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Precisely. One of my oldest bros buddies was living with Lindbergh whilst fighting for a spot with the Flyers.

He always said, "you'd think I'd hate the guy because he's going to steal my spot. Nope. He was unreal in net, and a great guy. I wanted to hate him, but he was just a great guy".

I think maybe Gaudreau's offender didn't really understand the gravity at the time of the eyerolling. Not just who it was, but he was probably in a lucid state of confusion.

We all want him castrated. We have 2 victims, I'm not sure expansion is a great idea. Dude is in the prison of his mind for the rest of his life, I'd have to assume.

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

From what I read of the event, the driver was also road raging trying to get around other cars. Drive safe out there. You might lose a minute on the road, but someone might lose their life if you're too aggressive.... 

Not you. Just general. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

We all want him castrated. We have 2 victims, I'm not sure expansion is a great idea. Dude is in the prison of his mind for the rest of his life, I'd have to assume.

yeah,

as someone who is not a "leave the past in the past" kind of guy, I do think there is a time and a place for looking at what happened and all the things that come with that for the purpose of improving future outcomes.

But, that time is not today and the initial gut reaction of "this is an evil/bad person", which quite frankly I did have at first, is unlikely to be the whole picture here from what I understand at this time.  Sometimes it is just that, and exactly that.   But most times it is not.   This.....whatever this is, it's something else.   Which, for the time being, is simply a terrible tragedy.   One of the worst in NHL hockey ever, if not the worst.

20 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Precisely. One of my oldest bros buddies was living with Lindbergh whilst fighting for a spot with the Flyers.

He always said, "you'd think I'd hate the guy because he's going to steal my spot. Nope. He was unreal in net, and a great guy. I wanted to hate him, but he was just a great guy".

I think maybe Gaudreau's offender didn't really understand the gravity at the time of the eyerolling. Not just who it was, but he was probably in a lucid state of confusion.

Lindbergh was the guy I was thinking of, but as I said it was quite some time ago.  

22 hours ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

I havent really commented on the whole ordeal but I dont think theres anything I could say that hasnt already been said by anyone here. I made the mistake of watching the court cam of the offenders arraignment. The fact he rolled his eyes when he was told he was being detained until Thursday instantly made my blood boil. A glaring view of how minor of an infraction the offender believes this is. I was a volunteer fire fighter for years and seen first hand the end results of these same attitudes and actions and I know Johnnys celeb status shouldnt make a difference but I hope the spotlight on this leaves it less likely for any kind of reduced sentence or plea deal.

I only brought up the offender because it's so tragic that a moment of stupidity can have such far reaching impact to many families.  This story is just a bigger pictire of the impact to people.  A nobody gets zero press when it happens, but the impact to family and friends is no different.  Lives are changes forever.  The butterfly effect to what could have been.  

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Classy move for Torts and the Flyers

It's going to be a tough year on at least 3 teams.  With 2 of them being in the East Conference, the home and away for them will be met by a lot of sadness.  Guy shows a lot of resolve to go out there on the ice after such a family tragedy.  It's heartwrenching to see him pushing through.