2025 NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

We have that in offensive D Zane and Hunter…we need 2 elite LS Shutdown D…we have a few possible options but nothing to the extent of Hunter and Zane, that young Russian D is dubbed as bing a potential Tanev 2.0 we got from Dal but much like Tanev he looks like it may be a few more years before he hits that level.  That’s the issue with Defensive D, they seem to take a much longer time to just that elite level for shutdown D, usually closing in on 30 where as elite Offensive D around 27 and forwards around 25…the only exception to the forwards is Ctrs are closer to 27.

all this is to say, I think our D core is fine, we have enough mid range prospects to easily cover the 5/6/7 slots in a few years. Especially where the shut down D will probably be via trade or UFA given their development time.  Not to say Cgy shouldn’t start preparing for succession planning but they need to get the Ctr ranks in line asap once they have a solid young core that’s when they need to avoid selling off picks for quick turnaround and instead reinvest in more future stocks starting with elite shutdown D, then the next G Gener, O minded D, Ctrs, and wingers…this should be the 10+ year plan.  Obviously, once and a while like maybe once every 5 years consider moving a pick if the team is ready, cause in those cases it should be a low first rounder which is not much better than a second…in those cases your best bet is to move the first acquire the player you want/need and also try and add a 2nd rounder if possible.  Some teams will actually do this for that 1st round pick 

In general, it's easier to get a LD than a RD.  And shutdown D are likely less expensive in trade and as UFA's.  

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

We have that in offensive D Zane and Hunter…we need 2 elite LS Shutdown D…we have a few possible options but nothing to the extent of Hunter and Zane, that young Russian D is dubbed as bing a potential Tanev 2.0 we got from Dal but much like Tanev he looks like it may be a few more years before he hits that level.  That’s the issue with Defensive D, they seem to take a much longer time to just that elite level for shutdown D, usually closing in on 30 where as elite Offensive D around 27 and forwards around 25…the only exception to the forwards is Ctrs are closer to 27.

all this is to say, I think our D core is fine, we have enough mid range prospects to easily cover the 5/6/7 slots in a few years. Especially where the shut down D will probably be via trade or UFA given their development time.  Not to say Cgy shouldn’t start preparing for succession planning but they need to get the Ctr ranks in line asap once they have a solid young core that’s when they need to avoid selling off picks for quick turnaround and instead reinvest in more future stocks starting with elite shutdown D, then the next G Gener, O minded D, Ctrs, and wingers…this should be the 10+ year plan.  Obviously, once and a while like maybe once every 5 years consider moving a pick if the team is ready, cause in those cases it should be a low first rounder which is not much better than a second…in those cases your best bet is to move the first acquire the player you want/need and also try and add a 2nd rounder if possible.  Some teams will actually do this for that 1st round pick 

One thing you notice about elite shutdown D, is they tend to have been given chances on poor teams or teams that had a huge open position there early in their careers.   I hope we do similar in the AHL and on the Flames.  They really can come out of nowhere including PTOs.    Tanev included in that.

So, while I agree we need several elite defensive D, I don't think we need them like we need to draft them in the first round.    To me this has more to do with great scouting, later round picks, US college signings, PTOs, etc, and then developing them well.

It's about taking the Right guys who haven't been given a fair chance and giving them chance and supporting their development.    And it's absolutely crucial.     Giordano's not a shutdown D but that's our most recent example.    

I don't personally put Hunter B in the same category as Parekh.   I think we need more of that Parekh skill level, and...yeah, preferably more rounded, so that's likely coming out of the first round or a Very sly 2nd-round pick, possibly with a 5'11 version of that player.    I still think we have more high picks to spend on D.    But having said that, when we see "that center" become available in the first round, I mean, our next captain, then we have to take them.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

In general, it's easier to get a LD than a RD.  And shutdown D are likely less expensive in trade and as UFA's.  

yup.    To his point though, I think it's better to develop them in-house than via later in their careers, because it can go hand-in-hand with goaltender and system development.     But I'm not spending a 1st on them unless they are At Least 2-way capable.

17 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

yup.    To his point though, I think it's better to develop them in-house than via later in their careers, because it can go hand-in-hand with goaltender and system development.     But I'm not spending a 1st on them unless they are At Least 2-way capable.

Tanev just cost us money and not signing Brodie.  I think that worked out for us, especially at the end of the deal.  Sometimes the shutdown is the last piece you need.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

said Edmonton

Them's fighting words.  We signed Tanev when it wasn't the last piece we needed.  EDM is yet to even target that piece.  Ceci was the closest they had in some time.  

Point being that just a shutdown guy is not something you you just target in a dratt.

16 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Them's fighting words.  We signed Tanev when it wasn't the last piece we needed.  EDM is yet to even target that piece.  Ceci was the closest they had in some time.  

Point being that just a shutdown guy is not something you you just target in a dratt.

Correct, you could say they did target one 11 years ago in Nurse, and how did that turn out.  And not even a fully crap on Nurse but the list is long of guys drafted with the hopes that they'd be top pairing shutdown guys who don't pan out.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Tanev just cost us money and not signing Brodie.  I think that worked out for us, especially at the end of the deal.  Sometimes the shutdown is the last piece you need.

I think it is a toss, sometimes it falls in your lap and sometimes it's hard to find. So drafting and developing is a good way to go. Won't say it never happens. Sometimes the only UFA you can sign is Kulak. He's alright, but more bottom pair or a #7. 

There is a lot of talk about grabbing 4th liners easily. We've had good and bad 4th liners, and I tend to think more bad 4th liners than good, and the ones that are impactful are hard to find. I think it's the same with D.

Contenders tend to get those players that are impactful, so we need to get into contender status.

8 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I think it is a toss, sometimes it falls in your lap and sometimes it's hard to find. So drafting and developing is a good way to go. Won't say it never happens. Sometimes the only UFA you can sign is Kulak. He's alright, but more bottom pair or a #7. 

There is a lot of talk about grabbing 4th liners easily. We've had good and bad 4th liners, and I tend to think more bad 4th liners than good, and the ones that are impactful are hard to find. I think it's the same with D.

Contenders tend to get those players that are impactful, so we need to get into contender status.

So do you suggest drafting a Tanev and building his game to that or draft a Parekh and look for a Tanev later on.  We are not in contender status now or the very near future.  Tanev's are not Makar's so you don't want to use a top pick on them.  

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So do you suggest drafting a Tanev and building his game to that or draft a Parekh and look for a Tanev later on.  We are not in contender status now or the very near future.  Tanev's are not Makar's so you don't want to use a top pick on them.  

Yeah.   It's not that they aren't worth the top pick.  They...are.

It's that they can be obtained or developed through other means.  For many reasons, such as GMs being impatient.   They tend to be low-value until they reach a tipping point in their development.

On 9/16/2024 at 8:27 PM, redfire11 said:

This year will be determined by Huska. I confidently feel we picking 9 to 14 and if Huska can create some magic we will be playing meaningful hockey in March. We have the players to make a decent showing, also look back at our stats one year good next one bad and we just finished a bad one.

11-14 likely means that Montreal is picking. This would not be an optimal season, but it would be very Flames.

Love.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

11-14 likely means that Montreal is picking. This would not be an optimal season, but it would be very Flames.

Love.

I don't even want to think about the multiple conditions on picks.

It just gives me a headache.

I can't even tell anymore what we are allowed to keep.

We would likely need to have the Calder fave to be above 10th.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

big RHS C. Expected to be an early pick in June.

All four goals.  First and second one were nice.

With Frondell out with a knee injury/surgery and Schaefer with mono, McQueen probably slides into the top 4 this year.  Flames likely picking 5-9...

Few other notes from opening night in the Dub.

Cameron Schmidt had a two goal night with VAN. He's a buzzsaw. Similar size to Stankoven. 

I was happy to see that Victoria is going to stick with Cole Reschny at centre. Like Catton last year, I think Reschny's projection at the next level is going to be hotly debated all season. 

2026 related, Joe Iginla is now a WHL regular. Held off the scoresheet on opening night.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

All four goals.  First and second one were nice.

With Frondell out with a knee injury/surgery and Schaefer with mono, McQueen probably slides into the top 4 this year.  Flames likely picking 5-9...

McQueen can't be counted out to be #1 in the next draft. She's a long season of continuing development.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2024 at 10:58 PM, travel_dude said:

I don't even want to think about the multiple conditions on picks.

It just gives me a headache.

I can't even tell anymore what we are allowed to keep.

We would likely need to have the Calder fave to be above 10th.

We're okay if we pick top 10, right?  it's protected?     Becomes a 2nd or something?

How do we Not lose another 1st?  lol

On 9/21/2024 at 9:24 AM, jjgallow said:

We're okay if we pick top 10, right?  it's protected?     Becomes a 2nd or something?

How do we Not lose another 1st?  lol

• If the Flames are picking top 10, and the Panthers aren't, Montreal gets the FLA pick from the Huberdeau trade
  • If the Flames are outside of the top 10, Montreal gets the better pick of the two
    • This is why it's a real drag if the Flames win take that extra loser point, and end up picking 11th, but FLA goes to the Final

Love.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

• If the Flames are picking top 10, and the Panthers aren't, Montreal gets the FLA pick from the Huberdeau trade
  • If the Flames are outside of the top 10, Montreal gets the better pick of the two
    • This is why it's a real drag if the Flames win take that extra loser point, and end up picking 11th, but FLA goes to the Final

Love.

yeesus.

Well, looks like tanking was pre-prescribed for us  

5 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Love.

Lotto win helps if it drags us out of 11-16.

Slim to nine if we are 15-16, but I have seen weirder things.

Cough cough NYR.