2025 NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

50 minutes ago, cberg said:

At this moment, I could care less about next draft.  Major changes have already been made and new faces brought in. Results could possibly range from solid playoff team to top three draft position.  Talk to me after Thanksgiving, when we’ll pretty much know where we stand.

Or, we can even talk in the summer.

That is not the range, we got zero chance of solid playoff team.    But, your attitude of shifting to the hear and now, is valid.  

Once the season starts, I make an effort to quit my draft pick talk and focus on the season as long as I can.    Maybe even until summer.    

Season not having started yet, we ain't gonna be a condender and it would be a tragedy of we were.   We need at very minimum 3 solid draft years.

5 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Or, we can even talk in the summer.

That is not the range, we got zero chance of solid playoff team.    But, your attitude of shifting to the hear and now, is valid.  

Once the season starts, I make an effort to quit my draft pick talk and focus on the season as long as I can.    Maybe even until summer.    

Season not having started yet, we ain't gonna be a condender and it would be a tragedy of we were.   We need at very minimum 3 solid draft years.

Yeah, you’re sharing the expected scenario, yet expectations and reality rarely are the same.  They play the games for a reason, and  in just over 24hrs the playing begins.  Can’t wait.

1 hour ago, cberg said:

At this moment, I could care less about next draft.  Major changes have already been made and new faces brought in. Results could possibly range from solid playoff team to top three draft position.  Talk to me after Thanksgiving, when we’ll pretty much know where we stand.

But wait...I've already bought our tourney packs for the U17 world's here in early November.

What am I doing? lol

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But wait...I've already bought our tourney packs for the U17 world's here in early November.

What am I doing? lol

I got excited for a second before I remembered that you live in a place where people cheer for the leafs.

For the record @cberg, I didn't create this draft thread like I did previous years draft threads because I thought it was a tad bit early for people's tastes.   Would normally start it around November, and it picks up into spring.

That said, the 2025 draft is going to be big for us even if this thread sinks down the bottom of the page for a couple months (as it should).    Definitely a time to be watching training camp, seeing a more interesting AHL roster, etc.   I won't be booing the Flames into a lower standing.

I know I don't have to.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Fixed that for you. But are you 100% certain?

It depends.   

As in, we got hope and a reason to expect an entertaining season?  sure.

As in, we should have sympathy for fans who throw in the towel midway through and have a temper tantrum cause of the "unexpected failures"?    No they dumb, and we know they will exist.  they dumb.

On 9/12/2024 at 2:59 PM, cberg said:

Yeah, you’re sharing the expected scenario, yet expectations and reality rarely are the same.  They play the games for a reason, and  in just over 24hrs the playing begins.  Can’t wait.

We have enough to be competitive for sure.  That's why I think the Flames will draft between top 5 to 9.  I think picking top 4 is a dream (unless win the lotto of course).  And likewise, I think making the playoff with this group is also a dream.  Not going to happen.  No #1 line.  No depth on D.  Unproven Goaltending.  etc.

Before camp, this is how I see the bottom of the league shaping up.

32. SJ

31. CHI

30. ANA

29. CBJ

28. CGY

I expect MTL to take a step this year. There's enough young talent that I think they are a better team than Calgary. Unfortunately, I think CBJ is going to have a tough year. I don't think there's much of a gap between the Flames and Blue Jackets.  Picking in the top 5 gives you a somewhat realistic chance at the lottery. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

32. SJ

31. CHI

30. ANA

29. CBJ

28. CGY

I expect MTL to take a step this year. There's enough young talent that I think they are a better team than Calgary. Unfortunately, I think CBJ is going to have a tough year. I don't think there's much of a gap between the Flames and Blue Jackets.  Picking in the top 5 gives you a somewhat realistic chance at the lottery. 

Yup.  You really wanna be in that top 5 for 3 years (minimum), and make the most of it while you're there.   

3 times in top 5 gives you:

-3 shots at lottery

-3 shots at getting a guy who should have been 1st.  Like a Michkov drop, for instance.

That good scouting and no shortcuts combined, that gives you your shot at your next captain.   And in the process, also your next core .

• Like 1

On 9/15/2024 at 9:36 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

32. SJ

31. CHI

30. ANA

29. CBJ

28. CGY

Ya that's how I see the standings shaping up too.  Flames likely 5-9.

SJS and CHI are playing way too many kids and unproven players throughout the lineup.  Growing pains.  Should be a lock for bottom 2 again.  ANA and CBJ are several years ahead of SJS and CHI so could show improvement.  But, most likely it's still too early for their young stars to take over the NHL.  But it's a transition year for them.

The Flames fall into the next group.  We have no 1st line but we can put together about 3 legit 2nd lines.  Depth lines will win us enough games to stay out of the basement. I think Weegar + Andersson are in their prime and can provide sheltered minutes for the others.  But a lack of depth D will make the Flames exposed for 10-minutes each game.  Wolf is unproven so there will be a mix of excellent games and bad games.  Just a natural part of learning.  Goaltending results should be "okay".  I don't expect league worse goaltending or anything.

Agreed MTL should rise.  I also think OTT will rise as well.  Both could be just shy of making the playoffs.

I see PHI dropping to the 5-9 range.  There's not a lot on that roster and goaltending looks bad.

SEA will be bad again.  Expecting similar results from last year -/+ 5-points in the standings.  Right about picking 5-9 again.

57 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Ya that's how I see the standings shaping up too.  Flames likely 5-9.

SJS and CHI are playing way too many kids and unproven players throughout the lineup.  Growing pains.  Should be a lock for bottom 2 again.  ANA and CBJ are several years ahead of SJS and CHI so could show improvement.  But, most likely it's still too early for their young stars to take over the NHL.  But it's a transition year for them.

The Flames fall into the next group.  We have no 1st line but we can put together about 3 legit 2nd lines.  Depth lines will win us enough games to stay out of the basement. I think Weegar + Andersson are in their prime and can provide sheltered minutes for the others.  But a lack of depth D will make the Flames exposed for 10-minutes each game.  Wolf is unproven so there will be a mix of excellent games and bad games.  Just a natural part of learning.  Goaltending results should be "okay".  I don't expect league worse goaltending or anything.

Agreed MTL should rise.  I also think OTT will rise as well.  Both could be just shy of making the playoffs.

I see PHI dropping to the 5-9 range.  There's not a lot on that roster and goaltending looks bad.

SEA will be bad again.  Expecting similar results from last year -/+ 5-points in the standings.  Right about picking 5-9 again.

I don't know why the basis for this is.  I don't love the Stephenson contract for the long term but I would say their offseason additions are way more impactful than the Flames.  Coaching change could be questionable, and I have a little more faith in their youth taking a step forward than the Flames, Beniers may not be a franchise player, but he's better than the 37 point guy last year.  While I do see the potential for some young players on the Flames to take a step forward, I also don't see another 20 goal Weegar year, or 30 goals from Coleman and with Kadri he could be 75 again or down to 50, he's never been the most consistent offensive player.  So it rides on goaltending, Seattle's has struggled over the years but I'm not a believer in Vladar and I take that D core over the Flames any day of the week.

42 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't know why the basis for this is.  I don't love the Stephenson contract for the long term but I would say their offseason additions are way more impactful than the Flames.  Coaching change could be questionable, and I have a little more faith in their youth taking a step forward than the Flames, Beniers may not be a franchise player, but he's better than the 37 point guy last year.  While I do see the potential for some young players on the Flames to take a step forward, I also don't see another 20 goal Weegar year, or 30 goals from Coleman and with Kadri he could be 75 again or down to 50, he's never been the most consistent offensive player.  So it rides on goaltending, Seattle's has struggled over the years but I'm not a believer in Vladar and I take that D core over the Flames any day of the week.

Well how far off am I?  Do you think they are a playoff team?  Looking at their roster, I like our forwards better than theirs but I like their D better than ours.  Goaltending, give them an edge because Wolf is unproven.  They were the 8th worst team in the NHL last season and I think they are +/- 5 points roughly.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Well how far off am I?  Do you think they are a playoff team?  Looking at their roster, I like our forwards better than theirs but I like their D better than ours.  Goaltending, give them an edge because Wolf is unproven.  They were the 8th worst team in the NHL last season and I think they are +/- 5 points roughly.

I think you are pretty close.   I'm more on the side of....this is the outcome but we are one bad injury away from finishing at the bottom.   Yes, we could theoretically be a playoff team if all the stars align and the GM does something stupid with acquisitions which he won't.

But, I think 5-9 is the middle ground and the most likely ground.   And if something were to go differently I think it would be different in a worse way. 

• It's unlikely our aging stars are going to be "better" this year:
  • We don't have any significant prospects that are "ready".   2024 class is a ways off.
  • Our aging stars are unlikely to do "better" this year but could easily drop off a cliff
  • Our defence was bad last year and our best players were too old.  Could drop off a cliff.
  • Goaltending is a big question mark.   Could easily drop off a cliff (I hope this doesn't, I want Wolf to do well)
  • Injuries.   We need to keep in mind that every team "looks good" on paper at the start of the season and injuries usually take it down a notch.    We "look bad" on paper and injuries could take us.... elsewhere.

16 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I think you are pretty close.   I'm more on the side of....this is the outcome but we are one bad injury away from finishing at the bottom.   Yes, we could theoretically be a playoff team if all the stars align and the GM does something stupid with acquisitions which he won't.

But, I think 5-9 is the middle ground and the most likely ground.   And if something were to go differently I think it would be different in a worse way. 

• It's unlikely our aging stars are going to be "better" this year:
  • We don't have any significant prospects that are "ready".   2024 class is a ways off.
  • Our aging stars are unlikely to do "better" this year but could easily drop off a cliff
  • Our defence was bad last year and our best players were too old.  Could drop off a cliff.
  • Goaltending is a big question mark.   Could easily drop off a cliff (I hope this doesn't, I want Wolf to do well)
  • Injuries.   We need to keep in mind that every team "looks good" on paper at the start of the season and injuries usually take it down a notch.    We "look bad" on paper and injuries could take us.... elsewhere.

Ignoring the roster for the moment, are you expecting both goalies to have a significantly worse W/L record this year?  A healthy Vladar could be a lot better than he was.  I won't project Wolf since I have no idea what regular starts will look like for him.  

When you say aging stars won't be better do you mean Backlund won't be his usual selft, Coleman won't put up more than 29, Huberdeau won't get closer to his year end stats and Weegar won't be better than last year without much PP time?  Kuzmenko won't be a much better player for the full season than he was playing for VAN and didn't count towards our wins/scoring?

Who was our best player on defense that was too old last year?  Tanev?  Andersson?  Hanley?  

I do not expect a playoff team.  We may not even be close.  There are things that would have to all fit into place for that to happen.  There are 4 teams besides us in the Pacific alone that could fall off a cliff before us.  Some are already looking over it.  The East conference has teams that could easily fail and have rosters that stink.  All teams that expect to fail to get better sign 1 year deals, so that when they get to a decision point they can pull the ripcord on the season.

Call it delusion, but I don't see a 5th last finish for this team.  

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I really don't know if I'd call them a playoff team, I wouldn't have 2 years ago when they did.  I'm comfortable calling Edmonton a playoff team and San Jose and Calgary non playoff teams.  Everyone else I think I could make a case for and against them making.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Ignoring the roster for the moment, are you expecting both goalies to have a significantly worse W/L record this year?  A healthy Vladar could be a lot better than he was.  I won't project Wolf since I have no idea what regular starts will look like for him.  

When you say aging stars won't be better do you mean Backlund won't be his usual selft, Coleman won't put up more than 29, Huberdeau won't get closer to his year end stats and Weegar won't be better than last year without much PP time?  Kuzmenko won't be a much better player for the full season than he was playing for VAN and didn't count towards our wins/scoring?

Who was our best player on defense that was too old last year?  Tanev?  Andersson?  Hanley?  

I do not expect a playoff team.  We may not even be close.  There are things that would have to all fit into place for that to happen.  There are 4 teams besides us in the Pacific alone that could fall off a cliff before us.  Some are already looking over it.  The East conference has teams that could easily fail and have rosters that stink.  All teams that expect to fail to get better sign 1 year deals, so that when they get to a decision point they can pull the ripcord on the season.

Call it delusion, but I don't see a 5th last finish for this team.  

I answered this in great detail, and then I deleted it lol.

On further thought, do you want me to go into great detail about all the ways the Flames will do what every team does as they enter a rebuild phase?    We're close enough to the start of the season now that maybe I should just respectfully disagree, but cheer for them all the same.

36 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I answered this in great detail, and then I deleted it lol.

On further thought, do you want me to go into great detail about all the ways the Flames will do what every team does as they enter a rebuild phase?    We're close enough to the start of the season now that maybe I should just respectfully disagree, but cheer for them all the same.

I played it both ways, suggesting the Flames are not a playoff team.  Plain and simple, not all teams do the exact same tihng during a rebuild or retool or whatever you want to call trading away malcontents and guys we can't committ to long term.  We did that with Huberdeau and Weegar, and to a much lesser extend Sharky.  Sharky also being a lot younger.  We were in a different reality when the Huber/Weegar deals were signed.  Trading Markstrom was to get the declining value for a guy you wouldn't be re-signing.  There may be a few moves like that coming.  But unless Kadri and Huberdeau and Weegar are publically saying they want out, we aren't doing that.  It's not a fore sale.  

I don't expect the Flames to do everything they can to strip the team to bare bones, like some other teams did.  They may make some stretegic trades if they don't want to re-sign a player.  The guys on one year deals could be in that boat if they are not part of the solution.  They may decide that re-signing Kuzmenko is in their best interests; that's not typical other teams behaviour.  Who knows, but I would say that they might disappoint by not doing what other teams do.

I do hope you cheer for them regardless of the choices they make.  I do.  I may not like some moves (Brauer or Neal), but I like to watch a team win now and then.  And I get excited when they are close in games.  A throwaway game 82, I don't really care.  I cheer but it means nothing with the result.  They are not going to pull the goalie with a lead.  

This is me agreeing to disagree. LOL

This year will be determined by Huska. I confidently feel we picking 9 to 14 and if Huska can create some magic we will be playing meaningful hockey in March. We have the players to make a decent showing, also look back at our stats one year good next one bad and we just finished a bad one.

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I played it both ways, suggesting the Flames are not a playoff team.  Plain and simple, not all teams do the exact same tihng during a rebuild or retool or whatever you want to call trading away malcontents and guys we can't committ to long term.  We did that with Huberdeau and Weegar, and to a much lesser extend Sharky.  Sharky also being a lot younger.  We were in a different reality when the Huber/Weegar deals were signed.  Trading Markstrom was to get the declining value for a guy you wouldn't be re-signing.  There may be a few moves like that coming.  But unless Kadri and Huberdeau and Weegar are publically saying they want out, we aren't doing that.  It's not a fore sale.  

I don't expect the Flames to do everything they can to strip the team to bare bones, like some other teams did.  They may make some stretegic trades if they don't want to re-sign a player.  The guys on one year deals could be in that boat if they are not part of the solution.  They may decide that re-signing Kuzmenko is in their best interests; that's not typical other teams behaviour.  Who knows, but I would say that they might disappoint by not doing what other teams do.

I do hope you cheer for them regardless of the choices they make.  I do.  I may not like some moves (Brauer or Neal), but I like to watch a team win now and then.  And I get excited when they are close in games.  A throwaway game 82, I don't really care.  I cheer but it means nothing with the result.  They are not going to pull the goalie with a lead.  

This is me agreeing to disagree. LOL

Whoever's right and whoever's wrong, I think that this is a good time for us to keep the bar low as fans.    The only reason I even go on about where we'll be at this year...is not really for the 2025 draft as...

I can't stand it when we have a rough go of it and certain fans get all pissy and blanket blame the team.   Those are the fans that make management think every game and every year is win-now, and that is how we get ourselves in these messes.

If the Flames do great this year, great.    If they don't, we got this thread.    That's the way I see it, I just don't care for whining over some necessary short-term pain.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Might be a blessing in disguise if the Flames pick #9.  Flames could use a LD like Schaefer.  Frondell also out with a knee injury/surgery will probably be there at #9.

I would very much like one more elite D.   I kind of thing Conroy will for for a C if he can, but only if they are special.  But two elite D would really be a smart, smart rebuild move.

On 9/17/2024 at 12:37 AM, jjgallow said:

I would very much like one more elite D.   I kind of thing Conroy will for for a C if he can, but only if they are special.  But two elite D would really be a smart, smart rebuild move.

We have that in offensive D Zane and Hunter…we need 2 elite LS Shutdown D…we have a few possible options but nothing to the extent of Hunter and Zane, that young Russian D is dubbed as bing a potential Tanev 2.0 we got from Dal but much like Tanev he looks like it may be a few more years before he hits that level.  That’s the issue with Defensive D, they seem to take a much longer time to just that elite level for shutdown D, usually closing in on 30 where as elite Offensive D around 27 and forwards around 25…the only exception to the forwards is Ctrs are closer to 27.

all this is to say, I think our D core is fine, we have enough mid range prospects to easily cover the 5/6/7 slots in a few years. Especially where the shut down D will probably be via trade or UFA given their development time.  Not to say Cgy shouldn’t start preparing for succession planning but they need to get the Ctr ranks in line asap once they have a solid young core that’s when they need to avoid selling off picks for quick turnaround and instead reinvest in more future stocks starting with elite shutdown D, then the next G Gener, O minded D, Ctrs, and wingers…this should be the 10+ year plan.  Obviously, once and a while like maybe once every 5 years consider moving a pick if the team is ready, cause in those cases it should be a low first rounder which is not much better than a second…in those cases your best bet is to move the first acquire the player you want/need and also try and add a 2nd rounder if possible.  Some teams will actually do this for that 1st round pick