2025 NHL Draft

Thebrewcrew

16 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't know if I'd say it is all other teams speed, I think dating back to the Colorado series Mackinnon was a matchup nightmare that series and Peters had no answer.  Dallas I didn't find was a faster team, and honestly I think the team they beat in 2022 was better than the team they lost to in 2020.  I think the differences were Sutter being better than Ward, and Heiskenen was on another level that entire playoffs, but while Sutter was a positive difference vs. Dallas he was a negative against Edmonton as the top line and pairing was struggling against McDavid whereas the Backlund line was a solid matchup against them, also I guess didn't help that Tanev was also out most that series.  But a common theme is other teams having elite talent playing elite levels, the Flames only had really good talent who never really took over a series

The last line of that sentence was the key part.  It matter not how elite you are or aren't, if you don't show it, you don't win it.  Neither Dallas nor VAN showed any of their elite talent this year.  

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Those were teams that couldn't handle the speed of the other team. They got caved when other teams pressured. They couldn't handle speed and pressure. It was nearly the whole team that couldn't handle it.

Think it's funny how that series is remembered. 

Flames were 2 OT games away from pushing that series to a game 7 but yet the narrative is they got "pumped". 

Was Colorado faster, absolutely. But what I think history has shown is that Colorado's team speed is amongst the best we've ever seen. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Flames were 2 OT games away from pushing that series to a game 7 but yet the narrative is they got "pumped". 

Was Colorado faster, absolutely. But what I think history has shown is that Colorado's team speed is amongst the best we've ever seen. 

It's really game 2 that I think if it went different the series goes different.  Colorado scores late to tie on one I think Smith should've had, Frolik misses an open net in ot and Mackinnon takes it back and scores.  Not saying 2-0 is a guarantee but maybe you don't see as much of a momentum swing in game 3.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It's really game 2 that I think if it went different the series goes different.  Colorado scores late to tie on one I think Smith should've had, Frolik misses an open net in ot and Mackinnon takes it back and scores.  Not saying 2-0 is a guarantee but maybe you don't see as much of a momentum swing in game 3.

Agreed and then to add, Makar comes in for game 3 and gave the Avs an element the Flames didn't game plan for, and again as history as now shown us was pretty special. 

Not suggesting the Flames should have won the cup or anything I agree they still had holes but I think that series was closer than it's being remembered

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

i dont see it the same. I might be one of the minorities who don't see it that way. It is why I say, it is easy to look at scores and think it was different. I remember the Flames holding on by the skin of their teeth. Sure, scores were closer, but there was no comparison between how the flames played compared to Colorado.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

i dont see it the same. I might be one of the minorities who don't see it that way. It is why I say, it is easy to look at scores and think it was different. I remember the Flames holding on by the skin of their teeth. Sure, scores were closer, but there was no comparison between how the flames played compared to Colorado.

Sure, but you put yourself in a position to succeed it still counts, they won one game by 4 goals and blew 2 games where they had leads with under 5 minutes, thats putting yourself in position to win, if you do that you've done something right.  The team that looks better doesn't win every series, I'd even say the most recent final the team that played better for the majority of the series lost.  I don't think anybody is celebrating these losses and we can completely close the book on the old core, we can conclude they weren't good enough as was to win, but lets not make them out to be the worst team in the league either.  The team was just anti-clutch, every series they lost from 2017 until 2022 they had at least 2 games with blown leads.

On 8/5/2024 at 9:15 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Adam Benak is an interesting prospect.

He played in the Hlinka last season as a 16yr old. Put up 10 points in 5 games. Today he was in on both goals in the Czechia win. 

The kicker? He's small. Elite Prospects has him at 5'7" as does the Hlinka website. He's making the transition to NA this season, gonna play for Youngstown in the USHL.

Damn, boy's got skills. Easily the Czech's "biggest" threat.

Wonder if he's got any sprouting left to do.

Dazzling kid to watch.

As an aside, I think we need a, "Flames Past Failures" thread. lol

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Damn, boy's got skills. Easily the Czech's "biggest" threat.

Wonder if he's got any sprouting left to do.

Dazzling kid to watch.

Really good player. Happy that he’s playing in NA this year. Much easier to watch.

the size will scare some teams away, which is a mistake. Gaudreau is there most productive Flame of the past 15 years, how tall was he? Hopefully he can grow a little bit more though.

How about a thread where we debate why we lost the series against the Oilers; never mind, that's in every thread it seems.  Sometimes that's me reacting to posts.  Or one about past draft failures.  Maybe one about the GM we used to have.  Hey maybe a Doug Riseborough thread to spice things up.

We all see things differently, sometimes a couple agree.  I would be lying to you if I had a photographic memory.  I remember certain things, but hopefully I don't just remember things trhat support my opinion.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Really good player. Happy that he’s playing in NA this year. Much easier to watch.

the size will scare some teams away, which is a mistake. Gaudreau is there most productive Flame of the past 15 years, how tall was he? Hopefully he can grow a little bit more though.

DeBrincat? His skill at this level looks better than DeBrincat, quite honestly. Great vision and IQ. Great passer. Lethal shooter.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

How about a thread where we debate why we lost the series against the Oilers; never mind, that's in every thread it seems.  Sometimes that's me reacting to posts.  Or one about past draft failures.  Maybe one about the GM we used to have.  Hey maybe a Doug Riseborough thread to spice things up.

We all see things differently, sometimes a couple agree.  I would be lying to you if I had a photographic memory.  I remember certain things, but hopefully I don't just remember things trhat support my opinion.

The same things pervade every new thread, I guess is what I'm getting at.

My OCD and ADD start partying. lol

Whole bunch of whatever, it's a small, albeit loveable, populace.

She always asks me, "Why do you need to compartmentalize everything"?

Then, no matter what I say next, it's the wrong answer.

So I just listen, and contemplate, "How can I manipulate this situation"?

I'll let everyone know if it ever works out. lol

Same situation, really.😉

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

im remembering things exactly how I saw it then. And I even remembering that other posters would d be like hey, we nearly had those games. But the case is, not really. Sure the score card says, but the eye test was way different. It was why I was one of the only blow it up now people back then because there was no way in hell that team out adding to them were going to win the cup.

You guys can remember it the way you want to reconcile your fandom, that's great 

30 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

im remembering things exactly how I saw it then. And I even remembering that other posters would d be like hey, we nearly had those games. But the case is, not really. Sure the score card says, but the eye test was way different. It was why I was one of the only blow it up now people back then because there was no way in hell that team out adding to them were going to win the cup.

You guys can remember it the way you want to reconcile your fandom, that's great 

Hey man. He was just responding to me asking if any thread can stay on track.

Why are you mad? It's Saturday. What more could anyone ask for?

Tomorrow's Sunday, and we start stressing about Monday.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Outplayed doesn’t mean you win, which is the critical thing.  On a rebuild, Flames can do everything right and build a powerhouse, but it doesn’t guarantee success. Flames in the 80s should have won multiple cups, they did’t. Their win hung by a string of a Vernon glove save off Smyl.   2004 should have been a win, but for a bad call… Things happen, things don’t.  

Hey man. He was just responding to me asking if any thread can stay on track.

Why are you mad? It's Saturday. What more could anyone ask for?

Tomorrow's Sunday, and we start stressing about Monday.

Super stressed about Sunday now

• Haha 1

On 8/5/2024 at 11:02 PM, Thebrewcrew said:

Feel for the Swiss. 

Schaeffer looks primed for a big jump in offensive production this season

Matt Schaefer makes me think I'm going to have another Dickinson-style love-in.

He's good at everything.

Erie, Pennsylvania is a hole. You're between Cleveland and Buffalo. What kind of chance do you have in life?

Come to Sarnia, it's not as much of a hole. lol

• Haha 1

Matt Schaefer makes me think I'm going to have another Dickinson-style love-in.

He's good at everything.

Erie, Pennsylvania is a hole. You're between Cleveland and Buffalo. What kind of chance do you have in life?

Come to Sarnia, it's not as much of a hole. lol

Flames probably picking 5-9 next year.  So Schaefer will be in range.

I think we'll be talking about the Flames having the 5th, or 6th pick.

Looking at last season, I think Seattle and Ottawa will be better. That vaults you to 7th. The Flames finished 4pts ahead of Arizona and 5pts ahead of Montreal. They swept MTL last year as well as the Yotes. I don't know if I expect that to happen in 24/25. The Habs and Utah look to be trending upwards and the Flames downwards. That's how I land on a top 5/6 pick.

Among the bottom four teams, I don't see a ton of dramatic improvement. Maybe CBJ, because I believe they have a better roster than SJ/ANA/CHI. 

Regardless, a 5th overall pick gives you a *somewhat* realistic chance at the lotto. I'd probably rather have the 2nd pick this year than the 1st. Hagens would be incredible to land, but then you're back in the same boat, where the franchise player is from the eastern seaboard. Anyway, I digress.

9 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think we'll be talking about the Flames having the 5th, or 6th pick.

Looking at last season, I think Seattle and Ottawa will be better. That vaults you to 7th. The Flames finished 4pts ahead of Arizona and 5pts ahead of Montreal. They swept MTL last year as well as the Yotes. I don't know if I expect that to happen in 24/25. The Habs and Utah look to be trending upwards and the Flames downwards. That's how I land on a top 5/6 pick.

Among the bottom four teams, I don't see a ton of dramatic improvement. Maybe CBJ, because I believe they have a better roster than SJ/ANA/CHI. 

Regardless, a 5th overall pick gives you a *somewhat* realistic chance at the lotto. I'd probably rather have the 2nd pick this year than the 1st. Hagens would be incredible to land, but then you're back in the same boat, where the franchise player is from the eastern seaboard. Anyway, I digress.

SJS and CHI are still bad.  Two lines deep at best, one D pair, and no goaltending.  Flames need to trade Kadri and Andersson to compete.

I think ANA could be improved next year.

Utah, OTT, and MTL also look improved too.

SEA looks bad... I think they are bottom 5.  I think PHI looks ready for bottom 5 too.  And CBJ is a mess.  Flames are in this group... After SJS and CHI, Flames could theoretically finish 3rd pick... Doubt we're that bad but it's within reason.  More realistically, we are 5th or so.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

No love for Michael Misa?

Lots of love.

I'm a big fan of Martone's aggression gene. He's a finisher, for sure. Great mitts, great release, lots of snarl.

Misa's a great/elite skater, more of a play creator/maker that can score. But a play driver is equally important.

Martone's a late birthday, so that deserves due consideration (gawd I hate the NHL for that Sept 15th bs).

Neck-in-neck between the 2 all year, I don't doubt.

Both will have a big year.

Tough call.

But hey, keep drafting from the O, see if I care. lol

44 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Early days, but Ivan Ryabkin could really put a wrench in things.

I'm already not sure why he's ranked as low as he is.

The monkey wrench of being Russian in the current climate. Just can't see them at peer-on-peer int'l tourneys.

Sad, but true.

Good choice though.

Michkov is pretty much the acid-test since this whole political climate destabilized all to hell.

I hope he crushes it. Kids are kids, whether they're Russian, Nicaraguan, Cdn, Portuguese or Zambian.

I think we should lower the age to run for planet leadership to 12. lol  No older than 30 when you start to get all disenchanted and too well-trained and chained to it.

I hope Michkov shines and puts a great spotlight on the kids coming up.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, The_People1 said:

SJS and CHI are still bad.  Two lines deep at best, one D pair, and no goaltending.  Flames need to trade Kadri and Andersson to compete.

I think ANA could be improved next year.

Utah, OTT, and MTL also look improved too.

SEA looks bad... I think they are bottom 5.  I think PHI looks ready for bottom 5 too.  And CBJ is a mess.  Flames are in this group... After SJS and CHI, Flames could theoretically finish 3rd pick... Doubt we're that bad but it's within reason.  More realistically, we are 5th or so.

The Flames are going to be very much focused on what FLA is like this year.  One thing I wasn't aware was that if FLA's pick is top 10, it goes to Philly (or kept by FLA).  That sets up a worse case scenario of Flames having 2nd overall and losing it to MTL.  I know you can't control where other teams end up in the draft, but if they were crapping the bed ad we were looking to be 5th overall or worse, we might have to do something about it.  Can't guarantee a 1st overall (MTL can't take it), so the only other option is to make the pick worse for MTL.

I'm inclined to think FLA is at least a 11th overall or better, so this should not play into things.