In with the new.

CraigV

Important to keep in mind, it’s way too early for 2025 draft lists.

Martone, Hagens, Misa etc will all go very early. But there are going to be kids nobody is talking about right now go in the top ten. Iginla wasn’t considered a top ten pick a year ago 

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

What?

Buffalo's problem was they scored 52 less goals this year.  Corey Perry ain't fixing that.  Ottawa couldn't keep the puck out of their own net.  Corey Perry ain't fixing that.  Corey Perry isn't the solution he's just the loser version of Pat Maroon.

And neither team "turned it on" they have been playoff teams who've won rounds the previous 2 years.

Yzeman has touched a fair bit on goal differentials and trying to balance it out.

I really believe that fans hoping for, "quick re-tool" will be sorely disappointed. It really is the difference between being a stable playoff contender vs in one year, out the next.

Detroit is still trying to build a "core" of young players. Nobody gives a Satoshi Nakamoto where you were drafted after you were drafted. That stuff means zero except expectations.

This is going to be a looong ride. Near everyone wanted it...

How many will support it is my question.

Everybody and their dog had Detroit behind Ottawa and Buffalo coming into last year. So much uncertainty.

I know I'm off topic, but I hope everyone knows that we are having these conversations in 5 years.

It looks good on paper, but that's far, far removed from reality. Wolf will be 27 before we're competitive, for perspective. Will he even be here still?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Listen to yourself.  "Edmonton is proof you cannot turn it on... Edmonton signed Perry to help turn it on and it worked."

What?

Fact is both EDM and FLA turned it on.  EDM figured it out after hiring Knoblauch.  Everyone played team defense and McDavid/Draisaitl put up 2-points per game.  And they learned to win games.

BUF, OTT, etc haven't figured it out yet.  But they keep trading and signing the wrong bottom six veteran depth guys.  They need Perry.  Flames can target a Perry too... After first spending some time in the basement, of course.

That is not what I said ..  I used him as an example what a team needs to do to insulate the kids with vets along the way.. he's not the only example .. Duncan Keith helped their dmen and was replaced with Ekholm .. ..it didn't just happen ..it was a process .. 

All those years of futility they did the opposite.. just kept throwing the kids in the deep end and hoping theyd learn to swim.. 

At no point did they tank..they were just bad ..

5 straight years in the playoffs .. the last 3 with a presidents cup and 2 finals appearances ..is not turning it on.. it's evolution 

I've said it before ..only one team in NHL history has bottomed out on purpose and went on to build a championship team..and that was the Lemieux penguins ..

The rest..were just bad .. coming off championship years and the core got old .. or had some luck to pust them to the next level.

We should be playing the kids in a position to succeed..not forcing them Into roles they aren't ready for..

Hey some more quality vets in there to show them how to get there ..

Tbh I'd love to throw $ at Shattenirk for 3-4 years ..

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Martone, Hagens, Misa etc will all go very early. But there are going to be kids nobody is talking about right now go in the top ten. Iginla wasn’t considered a top ten pick a year ago 

Just for fun here's Bob McKenzie's list from September.

Macklin Celebrini leads 'Big Three' atop Bob McKenzie's TSN pre-season NHL draft ranking | TSN

Only had his top 16, but worth noting besides Iginla, Buium was also not ranked to be in the top half, Parekh was outside the top 10, Eiserman was #2 who could challenge for #1, Henry Mews who we got in the 3rd round was #16, while Aron Kiviharju ranked #10 by Bob went in the 4th round.  Can't get too carried away here, they are all still teenagers a lot of development still exists between 16 and 17 and 17 and 18.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Just for fun here's Bob McKenzie's list from September.

Macklin Celebrini leads 'Big Three' atop Bob McKenzie's TSN pre-season NHL draft ranking | TSN

Only had his top 16, but worth noting besides Iginla, Buium was also not ranked to be in the top half, Parekh was outside the top 10, Eiserman was #2 who could challenge for #1, Henry Mews who we got in the 3rd round was #16, while Aron Kiviharju ranked #10 by Bob went in the 4th round.  Can't get too carried away here, they are all still teenagers a lot of development still exists between 16 and 17 and 17 and 18.

You know who I love that I never did? Jeremy Roenick. That McKenzie call out on national tv, I near Satoshi Nakamoto myself.

"Holy Blockchain man, you called him right out". Absolute legend.

That Blockchain is a blowhard buffoon. He's always been a "holier-than-thou" Hash Rate. What, now he's acting like everyone's curmudgeonly grandpa? Just retire.

Go away. Only TSN Hash Rate-kiss will miss you.

Not many people get away with making a career out of kinda being a pos, so congrats.

I'm so happy someone said, "who the Blockchain are you"? on national telly.

Your reputation should follow you. I guess TSN protected you. Now go away.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Yzeman has touched a fair bit on goal differentials and trying to balance it out.

I really believe that fans hoping for, "quick re-tool" will be sorely disappointed. It really is the difference between being a stable playoff contender vs in one year, out the next.

Detroit is still trying to build a "core" of young players. Nobody gives a Satoshi Nakamoto where you were drafted after you were drafted. That stuff means zero except expectations.

This is going to be a looong ride. Near everyone wanted it...

How many will support it is my question.

Everybody and their dog had Detroit behind Ottawa and Buffalo coming into last year. So much uncertainty.

I know I'm off topic, but I hope everyone knows that we are having these conversations in 5 years.

It looks good on paper, but that's far, far removed from reality. Wolf will be 27 before we're competitive, for perspective. Will he even be here still?

For the part I bolded, the Flames were that in one year out the next team. It was why I felt a change was needed. Some years we were in two in a row, but ya. We felt we had a core but it wasn't the "right" core. Good pieces but still missed something, which was Tkachuk on the top line. We probably had a consistent playoff team they tried other line combos earlier. but I am bringing it up to help prove your point, finding the mix takes time. sometimes you already have it but didn't try something new because something already worked well and you just couldn't separate that. 

but it didn't seem it...

I hope we can find the depth it takes to win. It's why I was hoping to get that in the first round this year, but seems we did find that as some players fell in the draft. I worry finding the stars of the team too early might make a team think they've got it, and the building is done, which i think the Flames did, maybe the oilers did as well... 

keep focus on the future. Today will work itself out, but eye the drafts and maintain the prospects. We can't help what we have, Indigenous Ways of Seeing and Being, sustainable practices! 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

That is not what I said ..  I used him as an example what a team needs to do to insulate the kids with vets along the way.. he's not the only example .. Duncan Keith helped their dmen and was replaced with Ekholm .. ..it didn't just happen ..it was a process .. 

All those years of futility they did the opposite.. just kept throwing the kids in the deep end and hoping theyd learn to swim.. 

5 straight years in the playoffs .. the last 3 with a presidents cup and 2 finals appearances ..is not turning it on.. it's evolution 

I've said it before ..only one team in NHL history has bottomed out on purpose and went on to build a championship team..and that was the Lemieux penguins ..

The rest..were just bad .. coming off championship years and the core got old .. or had some luck to pust them to the next level.

We should be playing the kids in a position to succeed..not forcing them Into roles they aren't ready for..

they talked about how Paul Coffey has been working with their defence to help them actually play defence, and how they have embraced it. So it's a team effort.

i think when many want "tank" we don't mean throw kids in and let them sink. It would be more prudent to do what an older expansion team had to do in the past taking on the lower skilled vet players of other teams and lose. No one wants the kids in the league until they're ready.

It really is just a realization that Stanley Cups tend to be won by a team that has 1st overall, 2nd overall or 3rd overall selections on their teams, more often than not. Many times it has taken that team about 7-10 years after that player was drafted, so we are about about 10 years away from winning the cup. Or likely never going to. 

it is possible just harder to do without the top picks.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

You know who I love that I never did? Jeremy Roenick. That McKenzie call out on national tv, I near Satoshi Nakamoto myself.

"Holy Blockchain man, you called him right out". Absolute legend.

That Blockchain is a blowhard buffoon. He's always been a "holier-than-thou" Hash Rate. What, now he's acting like everyone's curmudgeonly grandpa? Just retire.

Go away. Only TSN Hash Rate-kiss will miss you.

Not many people get away with making a career out of kinda being a pos, so congrats.

I'm so happy someone said, "who the Blockchain are you"? on national telly.

Your reputation should follow you. I guess TSN protected you. Now go away.

lol,

im confused, are you in love  with Roenick or McKenzie? 

ya I'm thinking you don't like McKenzie.

I get it. My dad and I saw him and were waving at him because he's a "tv star." We'd never seen him in person before, but we waved and he rolled his eyes at us.

Since then, all I think of is, he's a dick!

Why not just be a nice guy and say hey, wave back and appreciate that he gets paid because we subscribed to cable tv and watched him religiously. 

3 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

I mean, I think we are talking about the same thing.  We just using different words or our words we are using have different definitions.

It's not "turning it on" but instead, it's "an evolution".  EDM didn't tank for the #1 overall, they were "just bad".

I propose the Flames be "just bad" for a few years and then have an "evolution".  That's it.  Not need to disagree for the sake of disagreeing because, I believe we are on the same page.

4 hours ago, sak22 said:

What?

Buffalo's problem was they scored 52 less goals this year.  Corey Perry ain't fixing that.  Ottawa couldn't keep the puck out of their own net.  Corey Perry ain't fixing that.  Corey Perry isn't the solution he's just the loser version of Pat Maroon.

And neither team "turned it on" they have been playoff teams who've won rounds the previous 2 years.

Okay I will take back the term "turn it on" but instead use "evolution".

It's entirely possible to be "just bad" hardcore mofo for years on years and then eventually, "evolve" out of the losing culture into a winning one.  Don't be afraid to lose a lot the next couple of years because we can and we will get out of the basement and back into contender status.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Trues.  Waaay too early.  Just fun to speculate but nothing serious.

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

lol,

im confused, are you in love  with Roenick or McKenzie? 

ya I'm thinking you don't like McKenzie.

I get it. My dad and I saw him and were waving at him because he's a "tv star." We'd never seen him in person before, but we waved and he rolled his eyes at us.

Since then, all I think of is, he's a dick!

Why not just be a nice guy and say hey, wave back and appreciate that he gets paid because we subscribed to cable tv and watched him religiously. 

Man, that doesn't even scratch the surface. lol

16 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

but since then I've not valued his opinions. 

It’s too bad. Unfortunately there are lots of people like that. All it takes is 10 seconds of their time and it gives a fan a memory for life. Lots don’t look at it that way.

on the bright side, I remember seeing kids at the Dome trying to snag autographs as the players would leave the ice at warmup. Many couldn’t be bothered. The only two to sign? Iginla and Conroy. Pretty cool when two of the best players are also two of the best people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

but since then I've not valued his opinions. 

*sigh*

Okay. Here it is. On my 3rd occasion, just trying to engage this piece of work. I'm not a pushy person, so not like I'm being an Hash Rate, just being pleasant. He's a Cryptography.

So we hosted the World U17 Tourney awhile back. The stars were William Nylander, Clayton Keller and just a bunch of now-NHLers. Canada had 4 split squads. Canada Red was playing the US in Forest, ON. 900 capacity max. So I know Bob's covering, my 10yo boy sees him all of the time on TV.

I get this really Blockchaining dumb idea, Bob McKenzie has a new book out. Let's go waste $40 on the hardcover son, and maybe he can sign it for you.

So. We're in the concession/concourse area. It's like a midget tourney, maybe 100 people chilling. I had the pleasure of meeting some of the US players parents at other events. Just great people. Bob's rinkside doing his TSN thing.

Finishes. Can see him coming. My Blockchaining 10yo boy has that pos's book and a sharpie. He approaches, I say, "Hey, can you sign my son's book"? I really should have known better.

Grabs his phone out of his pocket, "Oh, I've gotta take this". Straight out of the building. I turn, and the US parents say, "who IS that? He just blew you guys off? WTF? That was rude".  I threw his book in the garbage nearby. My boy was, honestly, one of the only kids there at that time.

The great twist was the US team were walking past us shortly after and my boy got lots of love due to the parents we were chatting with. Because those are real people. Then we were sitting with Team Sweden to watch the game.

That blubbery pos, you don't represent Canada with that Hard Fork attitude while attaining nothing. Retire. We don't want you. TSN can have a different figurehead for "9 different scouts" or whatever it is you're trying to sell.

You. Specifically. Can Blockchain. Right. Off. You're the antithesis of what Canadians are about. You bloated buffalo-headed pos.

Just go away.

edit

Just to be clear. My one story has led to so many similar ones.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

*sigh*

Okay. Here it is. On my 3rd occasion, just trying to engage this piece of work. I'm not a pushy person, so not like I'm being an Hash Rate, just being pleasant. He's a Cryptography.

So we hosted the World U17 Tourney awhile back. The stars were William Nylander, Clayton Keller and just a bunch of now-NHLers. Canada had 4 split squads. Canada Red was playing the US in Forest, ON. 900 capacity max. So I know Bob's covering, my 10yo boy sees him all of the time on TV.

I get this really Blockchaining dumb idea, Bob McKenzie has a new book out. Let's go waste $40 on the hardcover son, and maybe he can sign it for you.

So. We're in the concession/concourse area. It's like a midget tourney, maybe 100 people chilling. I had the pleasure of meeting some of the US players parents at other events. Just great people. Bob's rinkside doing his TSN thing.

Finishes. Can see him coming. My Blockchaining 10yo boy has that pos's book and a sharpie. He approaches, I say, "Hey, can you sign my son's book"? I really should have known better.

Grabs his phone out of his pocket, "Oh, I've gotta take this". Straight out of the building. I turn, and the US parents say, "who IS that? He just blew you guys off? WTF? That was rude".  I threw his book in the garbage nearby. My boy was, honestly, one of the only kids there at that time.

The great twist was the US team were walking past us shortly after and my boy got lots of love due to the parents we were chatting with. Because those are real people. Then we were sitting with Team Sweden to watch the game.

That blubbery pos, you don't represent Canada with that Hard Fork attitude while attaining nothing. Retire. We don't want you. TSN can have a different figurehead for "9 different scouts" or whatever it is you're trying to sell.

You. Specifically. Can Blockchain. Right. Off. You're the antithesis of what Canadians are about. You bloated buffalo-headed pos.

Just go away.

edit

sorry that happened! That's no class!!! 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, conundrumed said:

*sigh*

Just go away.

edit

I think I remember you discussing this awhile back.  Didn't respect BM or TSN prior to that, but that certainly lowered my opinion of him.  I am so happy that TSN has no rights to anything NHL related, not that SN is much better.  TSN was and still is a joke of a station.  They covered the FA like a couple of kids with trading cards.  Well kids have more class.  From Doris the chimp to Plinko the NHL signing game, they look to be joke of TV land.

MY only regret is that TSN has sole rights it seems to the WJC.  It's their opportunity to act like talent scouts and see who can have the most stories about a kid playing for Canada or the USA.  Sometimes get ones about Euro players.  "He was so poor that his cup was half a coconut worn inside his underwear and his skates were winter boots with hand forged steel for blades, sharpened with a couple of rocks."

In with the new.  Not sure exactly what we are building yet, but the signs are good so far.  I don't know the master plan, and am interested in where we go from here.  Mantha and Lombergini are here for different reasons, perhaps Lombo can get Mantha going with his attitude.  Bean is currently injured, a fact I didn't realize at the time he signed.  Out till September/October, but not 100% sure if he will be available for camp.  The D will only be as good as they are balanced out.  Not exactly sure how Bahl fits in, but suspect he is top 4.  

I am interested to see how they deal with Kuzmenko.  He sure fits with the quasi direction we seem to be going in with Russian players.  He's talented but does little away from the puck, except get open.  His edge work reminds me a bit of Johnny Hockey, when he first arrived; a bit stunned away from the puck.  Whatever.  We either work on him to get his game more complete or we get him scoring 40 to up his value by TDL.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think I remember you discussing this awhile back.  Didn't respect BM or TSN prior to that, but that certainly lowered my opinion of him.  I am so happy that TSN has no rights to anything NHL related, not that SN is much better.  TSN was and still is a joke of a station.  They covered the FA like a couple of kids with trading cards.  Well kids have more class.  From Doris the chimp to Plinko the NHL signing game, they look to be joke of TV land.

MY only regret is that TSN has sole rights it seems to the WJC.  It's their opportunity to act like talent scouts and see who can have the most stories about a kid playing for Canada or the USA.  Sometimes get ones about Euro players.  "He was so poor that his cup was half a coconut worn inside his underwear and his skates were winter boots with hand forged steel for blades, sharpened with a couple of rocks."

In with the new.  Not sure exactly what we are building yet, but the signs are good so far.  I don't know the master plan, and am interested in where we go from here.  Mantha and Lombergini are here for different reasons, perhaps Lombo can get Mantha going with his attitude.  Bean is currently injured, a fact I didn't realize at the time he signed.  Out till September/October, but not 100% sure if he will be available for camp.  The D will only be as good as they are balanced out.  Not exactly sure how Bahl fits in, but suspect he is top 4.  

I am interested to see how they deal with Kuzmenko.  He sure fits with the quasi direction we seem to be going in with Russian players.  He's talented but does little away from the puck, except get open.  His edge work reminds me a bit of Johnny Hockey, when he first arrived; a bit stunned away from the puck.  Whatever.  We either work on him to get his game more complete or we get him scoring 40 to up his value by TDL.  

Yeah I should have bit my tongue clean off.

The greatest thing about hockey, is no matter who you are, you're all about the kids. That was the coldest shoulder ever. He literally looked at us and reached into his jacket pocket for his phone and raced out. No acknowledgement whatsoever, just, "I've gotta take this" and marched out with his head down, never to return. Biggest dick-move ever. Dutch, Duthie, Button, all of those guys, absolutely never behaved like that. And my kid wasn't holding their effing book.

The US parents were awesome though. I held up his book when they asked who he was. "This guy". Threw his book in the garbage, "there's $40 I'll never get back". That was a good laugh.

Oh well, the fat, non-athletic kid acting like he's god's gift to a sport shouldn't surprise anyone.

His reputation should have been doxxed years ago.

As for the new, it's a new season, I'm pretty excited to see how the Flames push forward. Could be a lot of surprises, but there will be disappointments too. Nature of the beast.

Zary and Pospisil will be interesting into their sophomore seasons. Lucas Raymond had a disappointing 2nd season but marched right back as last year progressed. Now he looks like he's going to be a dominant NHLer.

No reason to get too high or low this season.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Yeah I should have bit my tongue clean off.

The greatest thing about hockey, is no matter who you are, you're all about the kids. That was the coldest shoulder ever. He literally looked at us and reached into his jacket pocket for his phone and raced out. No acknowledgement whatsoever, just, "I've gotta take this" and marched out with his head down, never to return. Biggest dick-move ever. Dutch, Duthie, Button, all of those guys, absolutely never behaved like that. And my kid wasn't holding their effing book.

The US parents were awesome though. I held up his book when they asked who he was. "This guy". Threw his book in the garbage, "there's $40 I'll never get back". That was a good laugh.

Oh well, the fat, non-athletic kid acting like he's god's gift to a sport shouldn't surprise anyone.

His reputation should have been doxxed years ago.

As for the new, it's a new season, I'm pretty excited to see how the Flames push forward. Could be a lot of surprises, but there will be disappointments too. Nature of the beast.

Zary and Pospisil will be interesting into their sophomore seasons. Lucas Raymond had a disappointing 2nd season but marched right back as last year progressed. Now he looks like he's going to be a dominant NHLer.

No reason to get too high or low this season.

As for the new, that is exactly right. A bunch of guys will be positive surprises and some will be negative.  Overall it “should” be a step back but sports can surprise you and make you feel amazing sometimes, seemingly out of nowhere.  If the team is entertaining, works hard and positive progression is seen in many players… I’ll be happy.

• Like 1

We wonder shot Pospisil playing center or whether he should stay a winger to go into corners. 

Since he is a go go go kind of player,  can he be that as a center who pushes like mates to go go go, something that the team needs? Just curious. By all accounts he played well and the ones talking about his play at the worlds as a center said he didn't look out of place, looked like a play driver and was still pesky. I didn't see any games, just going by what they say on the radio. 

If he can be a 200' C, isn't that what we want? 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

We wonder shot Pospisil playing center or whether he should stay a winger to go into corners. 

Since he is a go go go kind of player,  can he be that as a center who pushes like mates to go go go, something that the team needs? Just curious. By all accounts he played well and the ones talking about his play at the worlds as a center said he didn't look out of place, looked like a play driver and was still pesky. I didn't see any games, just going by what they say on the radio. 

Which line would be the problem. I wouldn't want him to be on the 4th line. He deserves better than that.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Which line would be the problem. I wouldn't want him to be on the 4th line. He deserves better than that.

May same. The situation may need to lean more toward the way many here want the 4th line to go; having a developing skilled 4th line... what that looks like is subjective...

Zary, Pospisil, Lomberg

?

Two are skilled to play together, and can take turns playing C. But what is the proper development path? Some were saying to play one of Zary or Pospisil with Sharangovich and they have duo duties at C as well. 

id prefer to give Zary and Pospisil 20-30 or even 40 games at C to get used to the position, not hopping them all over the lineup in different roles. 

20 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

May same. The situation may need to lean more toward the way many here want the 4th line to go; having a developing skilled 4th line... what that looks like is subjective...

Zary, Pospisil, Lomberg

?

Two are skilled to play together, and can take turns playing C. But what is the proper development path? Some were saying to play one of Zary or Pospisil with Sharangovich and they have duo duties at C as well. 

id prefer to give Zary and Pospisil 20-30 or even 40 games at C to get used to the position, not hopping them all over the lineup in different roles. 

I think you need Lombo to be the 4th line energy guy.  Play him extra minutes to kick a line in the pants, but don't overuse him in a top 9 role.  It's a bit early to project lines, but I think we have enough top 9 guys to fill those lines out.  As it is, Coronato and Pelletier have a tall task pushing down someone already at the top 9 level.  Maybe Mantha doesn't impress, but Pelletier or Coronato would be no higher than Backlund line as it stands now taking Mantha down to the 4th line.  That is such a waste.  I prefer to have energy guys with Lombo.  It may be a small line, but Lombo with Coroanto or Pelletier might be just fine.  

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

There's no room at C unless we go "full bad" and trade Kadri and Backlund.

19 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There's no room at C unless we go "full bad" and trade Kadri and Backlund.

no,

you can do Kadri, Backlund, Zary and Pospisil. 
The other center jobs aren't fully spoken for or are quite flexible if they pushed their way into the jobs.