2024 Free Agency

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Ya agreed.  I think tmac70 is too focused on winning games and protecting the confidence of Wolf.  

IMO, we aren't winning with or without the 4-vets... We will just lose 1-goal games instead of 2-to-3-goals.  But we still going to lose a lot.

Open the roster spot and dangle the carrot.

The quote from our GM is what I am trying to articulate:

We’re looking for high-quality individuals, maybe on shorter deals, who can come in and give us some help. “We made some trades and brought in some young guys, but we don’t want to rush those young guys. We want to make sure they develop at the right speed and not put them in over their heads right away. “So if we could do shorter-term deals to help the team, and kind of help our younger guys that are going to be in the lineup, that is kind of the key going into free agency for us.” Mentors and complementary pieces will be the order of the day, as the team aims to provide a positive culture for the litany of prospects in the lineup and the system.

2 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Looks like Alex Nylander is going to UFA…wonder if he may be a great 1-2 year show me contract? Only 26 good since RS winger…

I don't think Nylander is an NHL player. He's had multiple opportunities and hasn't proven that he can be an effective player.

Think the Flames were fortunate they didn't end up taking him in the 2016 draft. He was frequently picked by the Flames in many mocks

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Dube has signed with Dinamo Minsk in the KHL. 

That is bazarre.  I'm assuming he has an out clause if he goes to jail.  Guilty not as concerning to the contract.  I'm sure they have felons there.

15 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Looks like Alex Nylander is going to UFA…wonder if he may be a great 1-2 year show me contract? Only 26 good since RS winger…

10 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I don't think Nylander is an NHL player. He's had multiple opportunities and hasn't proven that he can be an effective player.

Think the Flames were fortunate they didn't end up taking him in the 2016 draft. He was frequently picked by the Flames in many mocks

WOuld be fine to sign him to a less than buried cap penalty amount.

I think at leaast he is a AHL player we might work with.

11 goals in 25 games in CBJ.  Anyone on our team have stats like that?

At worst a NHL player that can work with the kids.

It's a low risk move.

35 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

The quote from our GM is what I am trying to articulate:

We’re looking for high-quality individuals, maybe on shorter deals, who can come in and give us some help. “We made some trades and brought in some young guys, but we don’t want to rush those young guys. We want to make sure they develop at the right speed and not put them in over their heads right away. “So if we could do shorter-term deals to help the team, and kind of help our younger guys that are going to be in the lineup, that is kind of the key going into free agency for us.” Mentors and complementary pieces will be the order of the day, as the team aims to provide a positive culture for the litany of prospects in the lineup and the system.

What you suggest is reasonable but you need to lower the number to still allow for competition.  

Bring in a vet D.

Bring in a vet or other C.

Have needs in that area right now.

A vet D doesn't impact a prospect making the team, just a depth guy we have like Hanley or Pachal.  

A vet C provides wingers with growth like Kadri did for Zary and Pops.

We could probably stand to use a young player with Backlund.

Instead of forcing Zary at C or top line RW.

More options.

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

What you suggest is reasonable but you need to lower the number to still allow for competition.  

Bring in a vet D.

Bring in a vet or other C.

Have needs in that area right now.

A vet D doesn't impact a prospect making the team, just a depth guy we have like Hanley or Pachal.  

A vet C provides wingers with growth like Kadri did for Zary and Pops.

We could probably stand to use a young player with Backlund.

Instead of forcing Zary at C or top line RW.

More options.

Competition from who? Right now our D looks like hot garbage, and 1 key injury away from complete disaster. So for example, who is better than Monahan, Debrusk, Duclair, Sjeki, Pesce, Edmunston, Dillion, or Montour in the system?  I am not saying they are coming here but we have no one in the AHL that is remotely close to these guys. IMHO this is where the issues started in 2014. We had a crap roster and injected young players too soon and too fast, I will agree in 3 years this may be an issue but not right now. 

We need a top 4 Dman, 3 top 9 forwards, and a 4th line.  Outside of Coronoto we need more than we have. 

I’m thinking these should be our top UFA targets should be:

Roslovic, perfect fill in for a few years at Ctr not too old and fits in with our interm core with Kizzy, Shar etc…

DeBrusk, perfect for the top 6 RW duties, and like Roslovic also slots into our intern age group with Kuzy and Shar.

as for G, unless Vladar may not be recovered in time, I’d just leave this alone.  If not Maybe, go another route…bring in Samsonov to solid duties with Wilf 50/50.  If this is the best route you have be prepared to move Vladar after he’s healthy and tradable…May need to run 3 goalies and hopefully increase Vladar’s trade value above a 3rd pick.  Having said this, I think the better option is to run Vladar and Wolf.

As for D, I think it’s fine, not great but not a “hot mess” like some have suggested…it’s unproven sure but that could be good or bad…I think the best thing to do is to try it and see what we have. The only thing is, adding one D may be needed kinda depends on Kylington…in which case, hopefully they can either find a UFA in the 27/26 age range or trade for one….ideally a larger body that can skate and defend.  Otherwise I’d like to see what some of these new guys that Conroy added at TDL have to offer.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Competition from who? Right now our D looks like hot garbage, and 1 key injury away from complete disaster. So for example, who is better than Monahan, Debrusk, Duclair, Sjeki, Pesce, Edmunston, Dillion, or Montour in the system?  I am not saying they are coming here but we have no one in the AHL that is remotely close to these guys. IMHO this is where the issues started in 2014. We had a crap roster and injected young players too soon and too fast, I will agree in 3 years this may be an issue but not right now. 

We need a top 4 Dman, 3 top 9 forwards, and a 4th line.  Outside of Coronoto we need more than we have. 

I don't think we looked that much worse than before we traded Hanifin.

I wasn't a fan of Hanley or Pachal for their defending.

They hit hard and had some offense but not top players.

Our current (assuming Kyl is back) is pretty good.

Even without Tanev and Hanifin.

We did struggle with zone exits.

When Solo was here, he was good.

Beyond that the other players weused were not great.

Disimone.  Gilbert.  

We also picked up Bahl, which I always forget now.

Why Devin Cooley? He has 6 games of NHL experience and hasn’t put up great numbers in the AHL. 

Eric Comrie, Phoenix Copley, Martin Jones, Dustin Tokarski, Chris Dreidger all would be better choices. 

Even Ivan Prosvetov has more NHL experience and has a better track record and he is only 25.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I think both Nylanders were, mostly due to the Flames and Nylander connection which we then saw with  Iginla. 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Why Devin Cooley? He has 6 games of NHL experience and hasn’t put up great numbers in the AHL. 

Eric Comrie, Phoenix Copley, Martin Jones, Dustin Tokarski, Chris Dreidger all would be better choices. 

Even Ivan Prosvetov has more NHL experience and has a better track record and he is only 25.

Odd his name keeps coming up everywhere.. just happens to be another Dan Milstein client 

Yeah, our D is not too bad…

Weegar/Anderson

Bhal/Marimanov

then there are a few young guys we picked up at TDL and Kylington and a few others from A…

assuming Kylington stays we have one spot open for what 3-5 AHL guys to compete for…if he leaves we may need to add one D man..not an overtly large task this year

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

If Kylington hits the market, then is BT going to get him?

I wonder if Monahan is going to get an offer here?

Funny how values of players change.

Brannstrom, who was the key piece in the Stone trade, is hitting the market.

8 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Is Jake Bean worth looking at?

Seems like a guy who plateaued young and his NHL road has been disappointing at best. He should start peaking right about now, but it seems he's already peaked.

Kane re-ups with the D - 1 yr/$4mil/$6.5 with bonuses. Crafty little cap maneuvering deal. Never thought he'd sign a 1 year at low cap, so happy happy. Every deal Stamkos has signed has been with Yzerman...just saying...

Reinhart re-ups with the Cats. 8 yrs rumoured, terms not announced.

Bertuzzi rumoured to Chicago on a 4 yr.

The Trouba rumours persist. His NMC expires at noon today into a 15 team NTC.

According to reports, a trade is in place with the Wings, with the Rangers retaining $2.5mil.

If Trouba nixes the deal, NYR will move him elsewhere, according to NY media reports.

His wife is a medical professional in NYC, so kinda have to feel for the guy.

But he's an ex-Wolverines, so he has to understand that the Wings are on a mission to acquire all ex-Wolverines. lol

Has anyone noticed that X tweet links can be replaced by putting xcancel in the same link instead of just x?

So x:

And xcancel:

https://xcancel.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1807636806160072799

Sure it becomes a link, but you can read comments without subscribing to that thing.

I’m not seeing a lot of holes in the lineup, trading Manji kinda makes alot

of sense when you slot guys in.  In no particular order, and many guys can play either wing and some like Zary and Shar can play Ctr too…if they do add DeBrusk it looks like Ctr is the only real need.  as for DeBrusk, he fits short and longer term, especially if Zary slides to Ctr it opens a lot of flexibility for Conroy moving forward with the likes of Kuzy, Coleman, Kadri and Backlund in that he has 2 years to phase these vets out slowly.  Honzk (sp?) is a year out due to missing most of last year with injury. 

I suspect DeBrusk and another Ctr this UFA hopefully Conroy goes after Rozvolic he fits the age range for guys like Kuzy and Shar, which should slot in for the likes of Backlund, Kadri, Hubie, Coleman and Kadri in a few years, in terms of succession planning a Ctr in the range of 26/27 years old makes tons of sense.

Zary/Kadri/pos

???DeBrusk/Backlund/Coleman

Pelletier/ Shar/Kuzy

Hubie/ ???/Coranato