2024 Free Agency

Holloway is nothing special nor is Broberg.  They are getting overpaid by the Blues and the Coilers can't afford them. The only positive is it shoves a big old monkey wrench into everything for the coilers. Neither player made ZERO sense for us, outside of a little more time to render, I believe we have prospects that are or at least will be far superior than either of them. 

6 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Holloway is nothing special nor is Broberg.  They are getting overpaid by the Blues and the Coilers can't afford them. The only positive is it shoves a big old monkey wrench into everything for the coilers. Neither player made ZERO sense for us, outside of a little more time to render, I believe we have prospects that are or at least will be far superior than either of them. 

It would have been a punitive move for us and the money would have been the same.  For the price of a 2nd and 3rd, it's not a bad deal, if you can afford the salaries.  I think a defense first team can turn them into decent players.  Low risk, considering some of the crazy deals out there.  Henrique is not worth what he got.  And that was more value than a lot of deals.

9 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Funny how there was little mention of the fact that both players signed the offer sheets.

It isn't a valid offer sheet without the player's agreement and signing it.

The overpayment is to ensure the other team will struggle to match. Maxed the values to keep the picks at a 2nd and a 3rd rd pick.

Then we cheer for St. Loo to have a deep playoff run. lol

Over-paying short term for potentially current NHL players is probably better than waiting 5 years on pick 40 and 84, hoping they'll be NHL players. Provided you can afford the risk.

14 hours ago, tmac70 said:

Broberg is special under $2m, and he's not special above $2m.    

The winners in this are the teams like ours that watch from the sidelines.

8 hours ago, conundrumed said:

It isn't a valid offer sheet without the player's agreement and signing it.

The overpayment is to ensure the other team will struggle to match. Maxed the values to keep the picks at a 2nd and a 3rd rd pick.

Then we cheer for St. Loo to have a deep playoff run. lol

Over-paying short term for potentially current NHL players is probably better than waiting 5 years on pick 40 and 84, hoping they'll be NHL players. Provided you can afford the risk.

Oh, I get that.  I was just saying that it shows that players value offers over supposed team loyalty some times.  They were probably yelling "Start the car! Start the car!" when they got contacted.

As an aside, EDM loses anything but a top 12 pick this season in round 1 and has no round 2 unless they accept the OS for Bro.  If it happened to be a top 12 pick, they would send an unprotected 2026 first.  But you probably don't want to talk about the player they got as a result.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Broberg is special under $2m, and he's not special above $2m.    

The winners in this are the teams like ours that watch from the sidelines.

I have to ask.  Is Broberg any better than Kylington?  STL had the opportunity to sign him, but went in on the double OS.  I get the age difference, but I think I would pick Kylington first due to his superior skating.  A guy that scores a couple of goals for the Oilers does not seem to be anything special.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I have to ask.  Is Broberg any better than Kylington?  STL had the opportunity to sign him, but went in on the double OS.  I get the age difference, but I think I would pick Kylington first due to his superior skating.  A guy that scores a couple of goals for the Oilers does not seem to be anything special.

good question

14 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Broberg is also a fantastic skater and currently has a higher ceiling than Kylington. Kylington has a known ceiling of a 5-7.

St. Lou doesn't have much in that age range for dmen, either. I'm sure the org heavily vetted the OS route.

I'm sure they also knew Kylington was available.

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Now? No.

could he be with more opportunity, yes.  

Kylington was a good story but he was a depth dman. That's what Broberg is now and while I'm a little skeptical he will be more, there is still some ability there for him to turn into a solid 2nd pairing dman. That isn't in Kylington's cards. 

• 4 weeks later...

Just reported we have signed Jarrod Tinordi to a one year, 2 way contract at less than a mill.

$800k to be exact.

He's 32 and is 6'6".  

More penalty minutes than games last season.

Has never played a full NHL season.

I get the need for more grit (are we going there again?) but not sure if this is more AHL than NHL.

He would easily make it through waiver I suspect.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just reported we have signed Jarrod Tinordi to a one year, 2 way contract at less than a mill.

$800k to be exact.

He's 32 and is 6'6".  

More penalty minutes than games last season.

Has never played a full NHL season.

I get the need for more grit (are we going there again?) but not sure if this is more AHL than NHL.

He would easily make it through waiver I suspect.

I’m pretty sure he’s protecting the kids at the AHL level and of and on at the NHL level when they need the punishment handed out to those teams that are more bruisers than skilled.

2 way deal at a low AAV it’s kinda meh… 

the Barrie signing, well PTO has me

more Worried if that turns into a contract.  He’s a huge defensive liability, got name recognition for a few high point output years. This is a huge waste of time even on a PTO, and an even bigger burden if it turns into a 1 year show me deal.  The only way this would make any sense is if you’re trying to tank.  I don’t think he’s even remotely good enough to land any assets at TDL.

I'm not a fan of Tinordi but think that's for the AHL. It's a very young crop down there and i'm not surprised they'd want a veteran. Also gives them someone who can come up and eat popcorn if required. 

Looks like no further PTOs and that Conroy thinks Pelletier will be in camp. 

30 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I'm not a fan of Tinordi but think that's for the AHL. It's a very young crop down there and i'm not surprised they'd want a veteran. Also gives them someone who can come up and eat popcorn if required. 

Yeah, I thinking he's more for the AHL, since most of his career seems to be AHL.

He's a good size to carry there as well, not afraid of sticking up for his team.

If he's saying Pelletier will be at camp, they must be closing in on a deal.

There is no advantage for him holding out.

51 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I’m pretty sure he’s protecting the kids at the AHL level and of and on at the NHL level when they need the punishment handed out to those teams that are more bruisers than skilled.

2 way deal at a low AAV it’s kinda meh… 

the Barrie signing, well PTO has me

more Worried if that turns into a contract.  He’s a huge defensive liability, got name recognition for a few high point output years. This is a huge waste of time even on a PTO, and an even bigger burden if it turns into a 1 year show me deal.  The only way this would make any sense is if you’re trying to tank.  I don’t think he’s even remotely good enough to land any assets at TDL.

I'm not overly concerned about Barrie, since our PP kinda has been stagnant.

If he can teach getting the shot througgh that might help too.

But also, this is not a year to worry about a defensive liability from one player alone.

We have to work on that as a team.

If it's just Barrie then he will sit more minutes.

A PTO is kinda ideal for us.

If you like him, then you can sign him on day 2, assuming another team doesn't swoop in.

Allows us to make a couple of moves prior to day one and put one down on day one as well.

It's only roster numbers and waivers we have to be concerned with this year.

Competing is more of a secondary goal, even if you truly believe Connie.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I'm not overly concerned about Barrie, since our PP kinda has been stagnant.

If he can teach getting the shot througgh that might help too.

But also, this is not a year to worry about a defensive liability from one player alone.

We have to work on that as a team.

If it's just Barrie then he will sit more minutes.

A PTO is kinda ideal for us.

If you like him, then you can sign him on day 2, assuming another team doesn't swoop in.

Allows us to make a couple of moves prior to day one and put one down on day one as well.

It's only roster numbers and waivers we have to be concerned with this year.

Competing is more of a secondary goal, even if you truly believe Connie.

PTO is definitely ideal.

By the sounds of it, we might wanna send a scout down to Detroit's training camp as well lol.   No chance they can sign all those guys.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Tinordi-types are a dying breed.  The bottom pairing enforcer/hard hitting types.  

But when you have young players developing, you want "protection".  Klapka might be playing in the NHL this year... It is what it is.  You need an enforcer.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tinordi-types are a dying breed.  The bottom pairing enforcer/hard hitting types.  

But when you have young players developing, you want "protection".  Klapka might be playing in the NHL this year... It is what it is.  You need an enforcer.

I would argue that this type of player is making a comeback in the NHL, that being said I think Tinordi is here for AHL depth and leadership.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

https://www.diebytheblade.com/jared-tinordi-2010-nhl-draft/

I am Perfectly happy to have Tinordi, depending on his past off-ice situations which I am assuming the Flames evaluated and green-lighted.

It is absolutely great to have a guy like that, for the simple reason that it may mean less injuries for our young prospects.

He is however, also a shining example of what Not to do in the first round of the NHL draft.  He was picked ahead of Loads of NHL stars...  Hayes, Kuznetsov, Coyle, Nelson, because he was "a towering presence on the ice".

The optimists said he could be a core player "once he develops his offensive game".    Like a guy who can't generate offense in junior will learn that in the NHL.   Pick a guy like that, and:

-be pretty sure he will have a long NHL career

-be pretty sure that it will be a boring career, and that he will be readily available at minimum salary for most of it

-be sure you miss drafting an NHL star in the process

Guys like these are great.  To sign at minimum salary on two-way contracts off free agency.    They are NOT great to draft in the first round.  lol.

56 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Tinordi isn't even this. He's not an NHL dman. 

So yes in that sense it's a dying bread because you can't afford the roster spot on guys that can't play. I don't think you get any "protection" from a guy sitting on your bench. 

• Like 2

I don't get the sense that there is a resurgence in the enforcer, there hasn't been a significant spike in fighting over the years.  I also don't look Rempe types as enforcers, he is really just a less skilled, bigger Pospisil who will answer the call, but with his fighting abilities if he played in the days of the real enforcers like Simon he would be out of the league, but instead he's hanging in with 6'1 Nic Deslauriers and 6'2 Ryan Reeves just due to size.  The deterrent talk is also played, the time Connor McDavid got injured as a rookie he had Luke Gazdic, Matt Hendricks and Eric Gryba playing.  I just think don't think it does much and this fanbase should know after complaining much of the previous year about having Lucic and Ritchie, the only fanbase that had any fear with those 2 on the ice at the same time was the Flames fans.

50 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Tinordi isn't even this. He's not an NHL dman. 

So yes in that sense it's a dying bread because you can't afford the roster spot on guys that can't play. I don't think you get any "protection" from a guy sitting on your bench. 

okay good points, I agree.

However, he may get time in the AHL and we might just end up with one more healthy goalie prospect as a result.

Alternatively, if he ends up in the NHL then we are That much closer to Michael Misa or greater 😅

I welcome him, while acknowledging your valid points.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

okay good points, I agree.

However, he may get time in the AHL and we might just end up with one more healthy goalie prospect as a result.

Alternatively, if he ends up in the NHL then we are That much closer to Michael Misa or greater 😅

I welcome him, while acknowledging your valid points.

I suspect he will and that part I don't have an issue with. The AHL game, IMO, is rougher than the NHL and not as fast and therefore dman like Tinordi are not the liabilities they are at the NHL level. 

I don't have an issue with this move as an AHL one which I suspect it was. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I suspect he will and that part I don't have an issue with. The AHL game, IMO, is rougher than the NHL and not as fast and therefore dman like Tinordi are not the liabilities they are at the NHL level. 

I don't have an issue with this move as an AHL one which I suspect it was. 

Every year, the AHL seems to have it's share of NHL has-beens that get to play against stars putting in their time.  It's also a product of new talent making the lesser or older ones redundant.  Some have a chip on their sholder and some are just nasty with a place to play smaller younger players.  There are some fine players there because there just isn't enough jobs to go around.  

If this was a NHL signing, they wouldn't have bothered signing Barrie to a PTO.  You don't need that many bodies fighting for NHL jobs.