2024 Free Agency

Someone's gotta disagree and I'm willing to be that guy since I hardly ever am.

Broberg and Holloway are average players on a team that pads stats.

A couple LHS players who seem to have NHL ability but imho have not shown actual signs of stardom.    Hard pass.    Go for McKenna and Dupont.     Get vets you can flip at the deadline.

On the slip side, Edmonton finding out in a hurry that it won't be its aging vets that get picked off, it will be the very small amount of youth it has which gets picked off.     They will get to keep their aging vets.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

that's awesome! 

The 2025 3rd they're sending back is Ottawa's. So St. Loo has their 2nd & 3rd compensations in place.

Funny St. Loo is willing to do a 2nd & 3rd for a 2nd & 5th. They must have a degree of confidence of a successful offer sheet.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

That's per season or divide by 2?

Seems like an overpay, but Army has $7mil in cap with all of his guys signed.

I kind of like the fun of the risk. 2 young guys, only 2 yrs, why not?

OSing both guys is kinda genius. "Here's 2 problems to deal with". He'll likely get Broberg out of it, and he's likely the target anyway.

Both players were 1st rders.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

OSing both guys is kinda genius. "Here's 2 problems to deal with". He'll likely get Broberg out of it, and he's likely the target anyway.

I'm not sure it is.. Broberg has had limited usage to shine ..but when he was pressed into extended duty in the playoffs he showed why he was so highly rated .. I think within 2 years he'll be a top 3 on that team and they'll gladly give him his raise ..

I actually wonder if we tried ..but the option of Edmonton matching and having to go back to the Oilers dressing room having agreed to play for Calgary was a deterrent 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm not sure it is.. Broberg has had limited usage to shine ..but when he was pressed into extended duty in the playoffs he showed why he was so highly rated .. I think within 2 years he'll be a top 3 on that team and they'll gladly give him his raise ..

I actually wonder if we tried ..but the option of Edmonton matching and having to go back to the Oilers dressing room having agreed to play for Calgary was a deterrent 

A world of experience on their backend should benefit Broberg as well. As opposed to Ekholm and...*crickets*...

11 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

He had 10 playoff games with an average of 14-18 minutes per game.  So an average of 16 minutes.  He was plus 3 twice and both were routs of 8-1 and 5-1.  2 goals and an assist in 10 games.  Not bad, just nothing deserving of $4M at this point.  For STL it's a risk, but they need to get young D up to speed.  EDM, where D go to die.  STL where D go to live.  

13 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

He had 10 playoff games with an average of 14-18 minutes per game.  So an average of 16 minutes.  He was plus 3 twice and both were routs of 8-1 and 5-1.  2 goals and an assist in 10 games.  Not bad, just nothing deserving of $4M at this point.  For STL it's a risk, but they need to get young D up to speed.  EDM, where D go to die.  STL where D go to live.  

The Saints of Louis don't have 23yo prospects at D. A couple younger, but hardly rich in D prospects.

Considering that, this was very calculated. They have the cap for a few years, why not?

This wasn't on a whim, St. Louis has solid scouting, so they would have been involved in due diligence.

I try to remove that it's Army, but the more I think about it and scour their D prospects, this is overpaying to take a present-day risk that makes sense. Parayko, Faulk, Suter, Krug and Leddy are aging out. Gotta address some 23-25yo torch-bearers quickly.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I think both are bad contracts and overpays but they had to do that if they want the players. A fair deal and Edm would just match. 

2 year's isn't terrible if it blows up. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

It's definitely an overpay he has the equivalent of 1 full regular season and just played more AHL games than NHL games.  I don't think 10 games makes a difference regardless of the time of year, was it his coming out party or was he just a fresh body who had a month off playing against people who were closing in or over 100 games on the year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robrob74 said:

Ekholm talked highly of the guy when he got there. Said he had a ton of potential, but if you don't develop the kid, it is all just potential. Maybe the Blues have the system he can succeed inZ

Ekholm would probably say that about any young D they have.  He's a good team guy.  

So according to Friedman Broberg was asking for 1.8 and Halloway 1.2. So for the same price as 34 year old Adam Henrique the Oilers could have had both. 

Wow. Oilers 100% deserve what they are getting here. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, cross16 said:

So according to Friedman Broberg was asking for 1.8 and Halloway 1.2. So for the same price as 34 year old Adam Henrique the Oilers could have had both. 

makes sense they passed that up since defensemen have no value anyway

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's wild. Those were the asks, not the ends. Unbelievable that it's August, and they couldn't be bothered to address it.

Now, those are their contracts. Double or triple. Holy crap.

Of course they're signing those offer sheets. How much tumult in their careers did you expect them to bear?

Unreal. That's some message you're parlaying to your prospects.

57 minutes ago, cross16 said:

That's unbelievable if true.  Henrique was so useless in the playoffs.  Unless the Oilers wanted term and both said no, I don't see why the Oilers didn't sign them both as soon as possible.  Take care of own business first.

On 8/13/2024 at 9:34 AM, jjgallow said:

Broberg and Holloway are average players on a team that pads stats.

Holloway is a pretty good 3rd/4th line guy.  Good size, speed, energy, and defense.  No offense though.

We like to compare him to Pelletier because the Flames passed on Holloway to pick Pelletier.  Too bad Pelletier blew out his shoulder from a cheap shot.  Otherwise, I think he had a chance to become a 2nd line LW with energy and sneaky scoring.

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Holloway is a pretty good 3rd/4th line guy.  Good size, speed, energy, and defense.  No offense though.

We like to compare him to Pelletier because the Flames passed on Holloway to pick Pelletier.  Too bad Pelletier blew out his shoulder from a cheap shot.  Otherwise, I think he had a chance to become a 2nd line LW with energy and sneaky scoring.

That was the Zary draft. Flames got Zary but also Holloway was picked 5 spots ahead of where the Flames were picking. 

Flames got the better player anyway IMO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

I think it was Rafael Lavoie who many wanted instead of Pelletier, he was the big RS C people wanted over another small LW,  I remember those day.  Not sure if it will be the mistake most thought it would be back then, but I guess there is still time for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I think it was Rafael Lavoie who many wanted instead of Pelletier, he was the big RS C people wanted over another small LW,  I remember those day.  Not sure if it will be the mistake most thought it would be back then, but I guess there is still time for that.

I liked Lavoie quite a bit in his draft year. I was also guilty of recency bias as he was quite good in the memorial cup.

He was an older player in that draft though, where as Pelletier was a year younger.

5 hours ago, cross16 said:

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's wild. Those were the asks, not the ends. Unbelievable that it's August, and they couldn't be bothered to address it.

Now, those are their contracts. Double or triple. Holy crap.

Of course they're signing those offer sheets. How much tumult in their careers did you expect them to bear?

Unreal. That's some message you're parlaying to your prospects.

The Oilers believed that no team would dare OS their players, so they were delaying for the fanfare of the new GM to ink any deals.  I think STL looked at it and thought that the players were waving in the wind.  Funny how there was little mention of the fact that both players signed the offer sheets.  Unless I am missing some part of this to be necessary.