2024 Free Agency

Think Kylington and his camp overplayed their hand on this one and Flames moved on to Bean. Once they did there wasn't much room for him. 

Sucks because of the story and the positivity that it generated but not a big loss on the ice. I do like him better then Bean but it's not a massive difference. 

Inconsequential at the end of the day, just too bad it worked out this way. 

• Like 2

Is anyone else watching the Laine sega and hoping that Cgy is nowhere in the conversation for him? 

speaking of, any rumours of Cgy being in on Laine? Hopefully not but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

3 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Is anyone else watching the Laine sega and hoping that Cgy is nowhere in the conversation for him? 

speaking of, any rumours of Cgy being in on Laine? Hopefully not but definitely worth keeping an eye on.

He has trade protection, wouldn't be shocking if Calgary was on his list, my guess is someone coming off of a personal leave would rather not play in an intense hockey market, I could be wrong and like you don't want Laine, I just don't have the fear of it happening.

I might be wrong, but I think Calgary stays away from players like that. I guess they were in on Stone. 

Were they in on PLD or Laine when they were going through trade demands? I don't remember. 

22 hours ago, conundrumed said:

dude, what are you a kid? I was 27 when I learned magic beans are a myth. lol

I guess living too close to EDM fans has suggested that Magic Beans are better than Petrie or Eberle or Hall.  Or. Or.

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

I might be wrong, but I think Calgary stays away from players like that. I guess they were in on Stone. 

Were they in on PLD or Laine when they were going through trade demands? I don't remember. 

PLD's value had dropped, so maybe they checked on the price.

Laine is what, the same age as Tkachuk? 26.

My problem with him is that he seems to get all pouty when his minutes don't match his draft position.

Tarasenko had that same rep back a long time ago.

Laine would need to be a project, so that he would be scoring 30 by the time we come out of re-tool.

Only value is if you buy low.  WPG got PLD for him and Roslovic.  I would offer close to that value.

I too doubt he'd waive to come here but if he would i'd be interested. He's got 2 years left on his deal and the Flames could offer him a lot of opportunity to rebuild himself and they could cash in on the rebound. if you get him back to even 25-30 goals your likely looking at some decent trade return at 2026 deadline. 

Minimal risk with decent upside. 

22 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I too doubt he'd waive to come here but if he would i'd be interested. He's got 2 years left on his deal and the Flames could offer him a lot of opportunity to rebuild himself and they could cash in on the rebound. if you get him back to even 25-30 goals your likely looking at some decent trade return at 2026 deadline. 

Minimal risk with decent upside. 

Well he was in WPG and CBJ, so I'm not sure how we are worse.  LOL.  WPG drafted him, but he wanted to move on.  Maybe blamed the coach.  Anyway, the other alternatives may be better right away, but he hasn't been much of a factor in playoffs since his 2nd year in the league.  Opportunity not there obviously.  Would it be any worse for him to light it up in Calgary and get a better long term deal? 

I think it depends on cost to acquire.  We can't give up a ton, but we could take on crap to offset the cost.  

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Well he was in WPG and CBJ, so I'm not sure how we are worse.  LOL.  WPG drafted him, but he wanted to move on.  Maybe blamed the coach.  Anyway, the other alternatives may be better right away, but he hasn't been much of a factor in playoffs since his 2nd year in the league.  Opportunity not there obviously.  Would it be any worse for him to light it up in Calgary and get a better long term deal? 

I think it depends on cost to acquire.  We can't give up a ton, but we could take on crap to offset the cost.  

He didn't have a say on going to either of those places though. 

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Let's see how Mantha does first. We'll have our baseline for cheaper.

He's better than Laine and PLD......when he seldomly feels like it....

Why not both?

Just now, cross16 said:

Why not both?

Heck of a question. lol

Can't argue we have had too many playmakers. Let's go 180 and collect snipes. I'm all for trying to build players values back up.

Won't always work out, but why sit on all of that cap space? Take some risks.

I can get with that.

The only aside is @flames-fan-in-jets-land, you won't hate us if we acquire Laine, will you? lol

FF52 will be up there pulling some strings to make it work out.

What are we taking in terms of salaries here?

I'm under the impression these guys are looking for boat anchor paydays of Huberdeau proportions and that it is pointless unless we plan to sell them at tdl with 50% retained salary, which is not historically us.

Or are they entertaining sweetheart deals?

Get players on cheap, salvage career, flip at tdl sounds like a great plan but I am assuming we would need to be a little more creative for that?

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Heck of a question. lol

Can't argue we have had too many playmakers. Let's go 180 and collect snipes. I'm all for trying to build players values back up.

I can get with that.

The only aside is @flames-fan-in-jets-land, you won't hate us if we acquire Laine, will you? lol

FF was one of the biggest critics of Tkachuk, and as it turns out, he was right.  Team Tkachuk claimed to be wanting to sign with CGY but his deal left him in rare air for re-signing.  Ya almost think Gaudreau wanted out because of Tkachuk's ego.  Water under the bridge.

I think FFIJL's biggest problem with Laine was his attitude, but alas I can't find his posts.  Lazy I guess.  With the right players, Laine could be something.  Scheifele changed his game after PM called out the team and Laine was gone.  But, it all depends on if he wanted to play here.  Right now, only the opportunity is great.  Top minutes.  PP time.  Playing perhaps with a true playmaker.  A big shot RW.  Hmmm haven't had one in some time.  I think it might be good to keep Sharky at C and find the right right wing.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

FF was one of the biggest critics of Tkachuk, and as it turns out, he was right.  Team Tkachuk claimed to be wanting to sign with CGY but his deal left him in rare air for re-signing.  Ya almost think Gaudreau wanted out because of Tkachuk's ego.  Water under the bridge.

I think FFIJL's biggest problem with Laine was his attitude, but alas I can't find his posts.  Lazy I guess.  With the right players, Laine could be something.  Scheifele changed his game after PM called out the team and Laine was gone.  But, it all depends on if he wanted to play here.  Right now, only the opportunity is great.  Top minutes.  PP time.  Playing perhaps with a true playmaker.  A big shot RW.  Hmmm haven't had one in some time.  I think it might be good to keep Sharky at C and find the right right wing.

One of my favourite things about a rebuild is that we don't have to compromise and acquire bad attitudes.  

18 hours ago, jjgallow said:

One of my favourite things about a rebuild is that we don't have to compromise and acquire bad attitudes.  

And sometimes "attitude" is based on team dynamics.  I thought Dube had a great attitude, but....  

Players like Kane have established attitudes that don't get changed by appearing at a sick kids ward.

Maybe he grew up, but who really knows.  I don't like the player on ice.  Sometimes players like Laine and Puljujarvi get bad raps for being selfish or moody or whatever.  Both of those guys played in the shadow of great players.  

I don't claim to know anything about Laine the person.  With Tkachuk, it's all sunshine and rainbows...now that he got his way and plays where he wants to in the lifestyle he wanted.  I don't think we have any attitude players, that I know of.  The Russians seem to be cheerful, happy guys that like to play here.  I love what Sharky and Kezmenko bring to the bench.  Lombo is supposed to bring great vibes to the bench as well.  The kids are happy to play and are getting the chance to show why the were drafted.  No turn coast on the squad now. 

Turning back to Laine.  Do you have a problem with him or were you just saying that it's great not to have any questionable ethics or attitude players?   

On 8/8/2024 at 10:57 AM, conundrumed said:

Heck of a question. lol

I can get with that.

21 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Lets not forget his tenure with the Jets ended in '21 then spent 3 1/2 seasons in Columbus. Alot could have and most likely has changed in that time, recently hes had alot of time for self evaluation so maybe a level of maturity has set in? His game changed after the McCabe hit and never really recovered. Maybe his current issues are tied in with that (post concussion syndrome?) but at least the organization has experience helping players with mental health issues. They would also have the know how to evaluate his current progress and mindset.  He is only 26 years old and with the right supports and not having superstar expectations on him MAYBE he can return to his former self.  It would need to be deeply discounted tho and I think he would need to be cleared to play before he can be moved anyway.

I'm not totally yay or nay about the idea but the risk/reward could change that.

10 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Lets not forget his tenure with the Jets ended in '21 then spent 3 1/2 seasons in Columbus. Alot could have and most likely has changed in that time, recently hes had alot of time for self evaluation so maybe a level of maturity has set in? His game changed after the McCabe hit and never really recovered. Maybe his current issues are tied in with that (post concussion syndrome?) but at least the organization has experience helping players with mental health issues. They would also have the know how to evaluate his current progress and mindset.  He is only 26 years old and with the right supports and not having superstar expectations on him MAYBE he can return to his former self.  It would need to be deeply discounted tho and I think he would need to be cleared to play before he can be moved anyway.

I'm not totally yay or nay about the idea but the risk/reward could change that.

It's all about cost when doing risk/reward.  The player himself plays into how it turns out, but the cost of the trade is huge to it's value.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Two way deal for ex-Flames Phillips. Wonder if he would consider coming back to help the AHL team but could also understand the wants to move on. 

NHL career not looking likely

Funny how the AVS love some ex-Flames.  Not that they get a good deal, just they get deals.  I doubt he cracks the lineup this year in COL.  Kylington will be luck to do so and he's more legit that MP.

11 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Turning back to Laine.  Do you have a problem with him or were you just saying that it's great not to have any questionable ethics or attitude players?   

I don't know him so I can't comment.   But it's an odd fit for us.

He likely wants a large contract.   There may be a bidding war.   we don't want anything to do with that.

I'd only be interested on a salvage contract and I don't think that's what he'll be going for.