2024 Free Agency

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

So kinda like Kuzy in that way?

No. Way different path and this is his 1st >$1mil contract at 29. From a GM that's extremely familiar with him. Dude's fought for every inch. He's not a scorer, but he is a big time motivator.

One of the try hardest players you'll find. Teammates adore him.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

No. Way different path and this is his 1st >$1mil contract at 29. From a GM that's extremely familiar with him. Dude's fought for every inch. He's not a scorer, but he is a big time motivator.

One of the try hardest players you'll find. Teammates adore him.

Well I’m kinda getting a Kuzy friendly mixed with a Manji dogged determination type vibe… 

this is definitely a great pick up for a “retooling” team, positive vibes with strong worth ethics…absolutely the perfect choice for building a great room culture on a young team.

Conroy continues to stay the course, delivering on his promises bringing in a few short term, cheaper players with very targeted skills to fill needs while maintaining the overall development plan.  

34 minutes ago, cberg said:

Conroy continues to stay the course, delivering on his promises bringing in a few short term, cheaper players with very targeted skills to fill needs while maintaining the overall development plan.  

Agreed it’s a refreshing change to have faith in a GM with an actual plan, we can see unfolding…

may not agree with every move he makes but, the overall picture makes sense, I kinda like that they are not doing a full rebuild, they are maintaining having a competitive mind set which is hard to establish later once players get in that loosing grove, it’s nice to see that they want to avoid that, I’m guessing they have learned from the Oilers rebuilding which was horrible and long 

4 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

New Oilers GM incoming ? 

Timing is interesting..

Think it was talked about elsewhere (General NHL?), but it's like the worst kept secret.  Can't start yet.  Haven't name GM yet.  He ranks up there with Hollan for riding on coattails.  

And like every sleazy player EDM signs, they wait until they are cleared of wrongdoing or don't care and say a terminated contract is no biggie.

Oilers made some big signings but currently sit $2m over the cap...   Broberg and Holloway both need new contracts ..

If that doesn't scream offer sheet I don't know what does ...😎😉

I would totally go after Broberg.. keep it in the 2nd rounder category 

• Like 1

They have a few players that need just the right chemistry to make it happen

So my lines would be 

Kuzmenko - Kadri - Pospisil   that seemed to be the only combo that worked for Kuzmenko

Huberdaeu - Zary - Sharangovich  Huberdaeu didn't work well with Backlund so Zary or Sharangovich at center is all you have left for him and he needs a real shooter so Sharangovich is probably the best choice.

Mantha - Backlund - Coleman  Backlund makes anyone good so either way selling or keeping Mantha this is likely his best spot.

Pelletier - Rooney - Coronato I want to see these two young guys play but you can also move them up if needed but that would put Mantha or someone else on the 4th line not sure who else would make any sense not if you are trying to revive Huberdaeu and get production out of everyone.

Lomberg - Klapka - Duehr or Hunt all make the 13-16th positions likely Lomberg should go in with any injuries first but I'd prefer Klapka to see what he can do. I have no idea why we needed to get even one winger let alone 2

We also have Schwindt to try out.

The Bean signing makes no sense we had money and really needed 1 more good defensemen especially if Kylington doesn't come back. The money from Mantha and Lomberg could have gone to defense.

Also without Mantha and Lomberg we can take on a bad contract for picks. Now we are overloaded up front.

7 hours ago, CraigV said:

They have a few players that need just the right chemistry to make it happen

So my lines would be 

Kuzmenko - Kadri - Pospisil   that seemed to be the only combo that worked for Kuzmenko

Huberdaeu - Zary - Sharangovich  Huberdaeu didn't work well with Backlund so Zary or Sharangovich at center is all you have left for him and he needs a real shooter so Sharangovich is probably the best choice.

Mantha - Backlund - Coleman  Backlund makes anyone good so either way selling or keeping Mantha this is likely his best spot.

Pelletier - Rooney - Coronato I want to see these two young guys play but you can also move them up if needed but that would put Mantha or someone else on the 4th line not sure who else would make any sense not if you are trying to revive Huberdaeu and get production out of everyone.

Lomberg - Klapka - Duehr or Hunt all make the 13-16th positions likely Lomberg should go in with any injuries first but I'd prefer Klapka to see what he can do. I have no idea why we needed to get even one winger let alone 2

We also have Schwindt to try out.

The Bean signing makes no sense we had money and really needed 1 more good defensemen especially if Kylington doesn't come back. The money from Mantha and Lomberg could have gone to defense.

Also without Mantha and Lomberg we can take on a bad contract for picks. Now we are overloaded up front.

4th line is Lomberg's seat. In the past 2 years, he's played every single game, minus being injured, for Paul Maurice on a Florida team that were runner-ups last year and Cup champs this year. 4th line duty, elevated to 3rd as needed.

Florida could have replaced him easily. They didn't. Nick Cousins can sit his aphids down in the pressbox. Lomberg doesn't.

I've said enough about him. I honestly don't know what else to say, outside of what I just said. I have no idea why some choose to overlook that.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn we're paying $2 per because he had other offers in the market. All the staff know him well. They targeted him due to that.

He's not a 13th fwd, sorry to break the news to everyone. He's way better than Grier. If that's a trade, we won.

The contracts speak to that. One had a market, one didn't.

Also, you have to wonder if BT wanted Lomberghini and Conroy trumped him, which is a fun rumour to start. lol

• Like 2

Mmm I’m wondering what’s the deal

with Jack Roslovic, hasn’t signed yet.  Lots of offers or maybe none?

seems like a great target for Conroy on a short term deal….which could be why he’s not signed yet, he’s probably got a lot of short term deal offers but teams are probably being cautious of his inconsistency, while He is probably looking for Longer term deal?

on another note, I really like Conroy’s pressure after UFA, love the flexibility he’s using as an approach, open to many options, targeting guys that want to come and turning the open spots into selling points as opportunity for guys to prove themselves…one thing I liked the most is he seems to be heavily focused on players in the 23 years old range…that’s very smart makes tons of

sense, as in 2027/2028 they would be in the 26 year old range which if you’re looking to be a contender when the new arena opens that’s an ideal age range for your core players to be in 

The more I look..were in a prime spot to offer sheet a couple good players ..

Broberg for sure ..just cuz it would be sweet to poach Edmonton..and I think Connie wouldn't hesitate to stick it to them ..

Another one is Lundell in Fla.. they are tight and we could throw a 4.5m they'd have a real tough time matching.. that's only a 2nd in compensation as well 

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Broberg for sure ..just cuz it would be sweet to poach Edmonton..and I think Connie wouldn't hesitate to stick it to them ..

Another one is Lundell in Fla.. they are tight and we could throw a 4.5m they'd have a real tough time matching.. that's only a 2nd in compensation as well 

Certainly a possibility for those two.  My only question is is it worth all the trouble, animosity and prospect blocking for these particular two players.  Of that I am doubtful.

19 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

8 minutes ago, cberg said:

Certainly a possibility for those two.  My only question is is it worth all the trouble, animosity and prospect blocking for these particular two players.  Of that I am doubtful.

I could care less about Broburg.  He's a guy I think the scouts and team overrates.  The only reason to OS him it to PO EDM.  They will match.  The only player I would want and think they might let go is Holloway.  I'm not even sure that is worth the noise.  But it's a signal to the GM.  Especially after they scooped us on Arvidsson.  They say Brown too, but I'm not sure that's a loss.  I mix up old OTT players.

Just now, travel_dude said:

I could care less about Broburg.  He's a guy I think the scouts and team overrates.  The only reason to OS him it to PO EDM.  They will match.  The only player I would want and think they might let go is Holloway.  I'm not even sure that is worth the noise.  But it's a signal to the GM.  Especially after they scooped us on Arvidsson.  They say Brown too, but I'm not sure that's a loss.  I mix up old OTT players.

I think he started to show his upside in the playoffs .. has a ways to go but he's still young..

Vagas has a nice prospect too..name escapes me..sounds Russian..hes in the same boat and not a GM in the league would hate you for doing that to Vegas lol

6 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I think he started to show his upside in the playoffs .. has a ways to go but he's still young..

Vagas has a nice prospect too..name escapes me..sounds Russian..hes in the same boat and not a GM in the league would hate you for doing that to Vegas lol

Was he better than Desharnais?  That's not a high bar.  Comparable to Nurse?  Not a high bar.  He scored a goal or two and made some good plays.  Against one team that was struggling to get inside positioning.  Not trashing him, just saying it's a lot of fuss they seem to be making about him.

I'm not sure which Vegas player you mean.  They have a Russian outside NHL that has arbitration rights.  Un;ess he is coming over, they retain his rights.  I don't think you OS a player that isn't here.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

4th line is Lomberg's seat. In the past 2 years, he's played every single game, minus being injured, for Paul Maurice on a Florida team that were runner-ups last year and Cup champs this year. 4th line duty, elevated to 3rd as needed.

Florida could have replaced him easily. They didn't. Nick Cousins can sit his aphids down in the pressbox. Lomberg doesn't.

I've said enough about him. I honestly don't know what else to say, outside of what I just said. I have no idea why some choose to overlook that.

It wouldn't surprise me to learn we're paying $2 per because he had other offers in the market. All the staff know him well. They targeted him due to that.

He's not a 13th fwd, sorry to break the news to everyone. He's way better than Grier. If that's a trade, we won.

The contracts speak to that. One had a market, one didn't.

Also, you have to wonder if BT wanted Lomberghini and Conroy trumped him, which is a fun rumour to start. lol

I mean, here in lies the irony of acquiring vets to mentor the kids.  The vet literally blocks the kid because they take up a spot on the 4 lines.

Another shot at the lineup as is. 

Huberdeau, Zary, Mantha

Pelletier, Kadri, Kuzmenko

Sharangovich, Pospisil, Coronato

Lomberg, Backlund, Coleman

I want Zary and Pospisil to try C. Earning the spot would be keeping the spot. If he gets buried then he doesn't cut it. I think we gotta stop placing kids on the 4th and hope they can work their way up the lineup. The skills don't match up so it's next to impossible. If a guy who can pass sets someone up who doesn't have puck sense, or a shot, or IQ, there is nothing the skill player can do to get a guy like that going, unless they're McD or Crosby, or McKinnon, etc where they are able to just knock a puck in off pylons. 

It isn't an elite line up, but it's not terrible. Don't see us drafting top 5. Maybe top 10-13.

9 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I mean, here in lies the irony of acquiring vets to mentor the kids.  The vet literally blocks the kid because they take up a spot on the 4 lines.

I don't want kids to learn on the 4th line. The blocking is by Mantha really. If a kid doesn't take Mantha's spot, there is also an opening on a wing or two at C and it's up to Pospisil or Zary to take C and run with it. I'd put them with skilled vets to insulate them. I don't want my skill to play with plugs anymore. I'd rather they keep their confidence on offence: 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I don't want kids to learn on the 4th line. The blocking is by Mantha really. If a kid doesn't take Mantha's spot, there is also an opening on a wing or two at C and it's up to Pospisil or Zary to take C and run with it. I'd put them with skilled vets to insulate them. I don't want my skill to play with plugs anymore. I'd rather they keep their confidence on offence: 

Ex-Wings Anthony Mantha, aka Houdini for his amazing disappearing skills.

6 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Another shot at the lineup as is. 

Huberdeau, Zary, Mantha

Pelletier, Kadri, Kuzmenko

Sharangovich, Pospisil, Coronato

Lomberg, Backlund, Coleman

I want Zary and Pospisil to try C. Earning the spot would be keeping the spot. If he gets buried then he doesn't cut it. I think we gotta stop placing kids on the 4th and hope they can work their way up the lineup. The skills don't match up so it's next to impossible. If a guy who can pass sets someone up who doesn't have puck sense, or a shot, or IQ, there is nothing the skill player can do to get a guy like that going, unless they're McD or Crosby, or McKinnon, etc where they are able to just knock a puck in off pylons. 

It isn't an elite line up, but it's not terrible. Don't see us drafting top 5. Maybe top 10-13.

I don't really know how to best set up the 4th line.  Rooney is not the right choice if Lombo is there.  And Lombo with Backlund wastes a development spot that benefited guys like Tkachuk and Mangiapane.  Looking at your lines I have no idea how the minutes shake out.  Almost impossible to roll 4 evenly and reward with special teams.  

I like the idea of Mantha with Huberdeau; I think you need that big body allowing him some freedom.  Pelletier has earned nothing to get played with Kadri.  Lombo with Backlund seems odd.

I get you are coming up with ideas to try out.  If you want Pelletier or Coronato to develop his game, pair one of them with a responsible C.  I would have less issue with a 4th line of Lombo-C-Coronato as it would be a line able to get shots on net and would get less top lines playing against them.  

So, my suggestion doesn't have Pelletier in the top 12:

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Huberdeau-Sharky-Mantha

Pospisil-Backlund-Coleman

Lombo-C-Coronato

Considerng the excess LW's we have I would look to Montreal OR AN East team to trade Pelletier to.  Assuming we don't have the immediate need on the roster.  I can't see anyone in the list above that would be passed by Pelletier.  Injury replacement?  Sure.  Pelletier is more of the BT era and would be fine here if we didn't have excess LW.  We need a C to replace Rooney.  A high energy 4th line is great, but we need better than Rooney; more likely a younger player to build with.

12 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Ex-Wings Anthony Mantha, aka Houdini for his amazing disappearing skills.

Yeah, we probably all overrate him as being a top 6 player.  His salary suggests that he still needs to prove it, even after all these years.  Then again, is he as capable of hitting highs as Mange was?  Different examples; one is high energy but physically not imposing, the other is opposite?

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't really know how to best set up the 4th line.  Rooney is not the right choice if Lombo is there.  And Lombo with Backlund wastes a development spot that benefited guys like Tkachuk and Mangiapane.  Looking at your lines I have no idea how the minutes shake out.  Almost impossible to roll 4 evenly and reward with special teams.  

I like the idea of Mantha with Huberdeau; I think you need that big body allowing him some freedom.  Pelletier has earned nothing to get played with Kadri.  Lombo with Backlund seems odd.

I get you are coming up with ideas to try out.  If you want Pelletier or Coronato to develop his game, pair one of them with a responsible C.  I would have less issue with a 4th line of Lombo-C-Coronato as it would be a line able to get shots on net and would get less top lines playing against them.  

So, my suggestion doesn't have Pelletier in the top 12:

Zary-Kadri-Kuzmenko

Huberdeau-Sharky-Mantha

Pospisil-Backlund-Coleman

Lombo-C-Coronato

Considerng the excess LW's we have I would look to Montreal OR AN East team to trade Pelletier to.  Assuming we don't have the immediate need on the roster.  I can't see anyone in the list above that would be passed by Pelletier.  Injury replacement?  Sure.  Pelletier is more of the BT era and would be fine here if we didn't have excess LW.  We need a C to replace Rooney.  A high energy 4th line is great, but we need better than Rooney; more likely a younger player to build with.

The thing is, earned is too subjective. it's where I have a problem with how the Flames do things. We love the earned mantra. But a player can almost never earn it if they're played in the 4th line. Earning to me at least, is putting a guy in a position to succeed and they hold the spot. We have to start playing skill with skill or we Bennett more than we Tkachuk or Monahan. 

had we played Bennett with guys with skill more than a game or two, we see what he could do. 

I see your lines you posted, they look good. I'm just putting Pospisil at C. He played really well at C at the worlds. While it's not the NHL, it would be a slight indication that he can push play there as well. The radio guys said he didn't loose too much of his play on wing either... why not go for it and see what we got in that?

31 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

There are 3rd line kids in the farm who would benefit from 4th line NHL experience.  Right now, I don't even think Pelletier has a spot to play if Lomberg is playing full time, for example.  Klapka or Schwindt could surprise at camp and make the team but need a spot.  Maybe Parker Bell could surprise.

At the end of the day, the Flames aren't a playoff team anyways.  Give the kids a chance to play.