Capfriendly alternative needed

TheBurn

In a few weeks, Capfriendly will be shutting down as it has been purchased by the Washington Capitals. It has been one of my favorite sites for hockey stats and information to compare/contrast players league wide. 

What website/s do you use for salary information, player contracts, free agency information, etc.?

PuckPedia - NHL Salary Cap, Player Contracts and Salary Cap Analysis | Puckpedia

This is probably the best alternative.

NHL | Spotrac.com

This one I look at mainly for other leagues but it does have a pretty informative view of teams caps and upcoming free agents.

Not as good as Capfriendly, but to just get the cap, contract information they are pretty solid.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, TheBurn said:

In a few weeks, Capfriendly will be shutting down as it has been purchased by the Washington Capitals. It has been one of my favorite sites for hockey stats and information to compare/contrast players league wide. 

What website/s do you use for salary information, player contracts, free agency information, etc.?

The Washington Capitals are the most hated team in the NHL right now as far as I'm concerned.

From a contract and salary perspective I find Puckpedia to be just as good as Capfriendly. The interface and tools(armchair GM, calculators) are what made them stand out. 

but if it’s just info you are looking for Puckpedia is great 

What, for some reason i overlooked this thread and thought the mention of Washington and capfriendly yesterday were some kind of joke after that horrible Dubois trade! Damn Caps, I'm not liking you right now:) But I wonder what an NHL Team would gain from purchasing a hockey site with contract information which is mainly for hockeyfans.

On 6/20/2024 at 3:48 PM, manu12 said:

What, for some reason i overlooked this thread and thought the mention of Washington and capfriendly yesterday were some kind of joke after that horrible Dubois trade! Damn Caps, I'm not liking you right now:) But I wonder what an NHL Team would gain from purchasing a hockey site with contract information which is mainly for hockeyfans.

It's less for the site and more for the people who run the site. They are experts in everything salary cap and contracts. Having a team of capologists is very important to make sure you are getting every ounce of value from every contract and all your cap space. I am sure Tampa, Toronto and Vegas all employ a similar team of people who are familiar with the salary cap.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

It's less for the site and more for the people who run the site. They are experts in everything salary cap and contracts. Having a team of capologists is very important to make sure you are getting every ounce of value from every contract and all your cap space. I am sure Tampa, Toronto and Vegas all employ a similar team of people who are familiar with the salary cap.

Now that makes sense, thanks for the input JTech! Still such a shame the site gets closed in the near future. As was already said, puckpedia is a good alternative as far as information goes. But I really dislike their Layout and Interface. Hope they will at least add a few extra features in the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

So does Washington get booed every away game for killing capfriendly?

I think we as a hockey community should let them know that we aren’t happy with what they have done and come together and boo them every game, every time they touch the puck.

15 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

So does Washington get booed every away game for killing capfriendly?

I think we as a hockey community should let them know that we aren’t happy with what they have done and come together and boo them every game, every time they touch the puck.

I sure hope so

Do we actually have any noification that Capfriendly won't be available to the general public?

They have added some new features which is "premium".

They have added some that are available to the casual users.

I have my belief that the engine is what WAS is interested in.

They can easily have super user access and have their own internal views and tools.

Of course I could be wrong, but I can see WAS not caring since their fans MIGHT use the free service.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Do we actually have any noification that Capfriendly won't be available to the general public?

They have added some new features which is "premium".

They have added some that are available to the casual users.

I have my belief that the engine is what WAS is interested in.

They can easily have super user access and have their own internal views and tools.

Of course I could be wrong, but I can see WAS not caring since their fans MIGHT use the free service.

We do:

https://russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2024/06/19/capitals-bought-capfriendly-due-to-fears-of-it-going-away-the-discussion-lasted-probably-for-over-a-year/

From that article:

The count leaves about 70 percent of the teams without a present alternative

This part is shocking. If you saw the interview with Yzerman I posted before, he was, basically, "every team has all of this information through the NHL. Great site we'd use just to access information quickly, but it doesn't affect us at all. The NHL provides all of that for us, they just had a great layout, but we have all of that info at our disposal regardless. Someone else will start another one, but it doesn't really matter to us".

It makes that "70%" number suspicious.

It's absurd that the NHL doesn't like contract info being public.

Sites like CapGeek, CapFriendly, PuckPedia are so valuable for fans wanting to understand the business side of the game.

Fleury wins the Vezina, then gets traded for nothing. If these sites didn't have contract and cap info, there would be lots of confusion regarding trades like that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I wonder though.  If the site was due to be shuttered in weeks and no longer available to average Joe's, why would they introduce a "premium" service?  

Premium Capfriendly (not sure what the deal-e-o with it is) is ad free and would cost $9.99 per month, but didn't bother looking at the premium services.

I did notice that ads seem to be more prevalent on Capfriendly, like the way Hockeybuzz is, but not nearly as bad.

If it will cost $9.99 I am sure NHL teams might use it.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wonder though.  If the site was due to be shuttered in weeks and no longer available to average Joe's, why would they introduce a "premium" service?  

Premium Capfriendly (not sure what the deal-e-o with it is) is ad free and would cost $9.99 per month, but didn't bother looking at the premium services.

I did notice that ads seem to be more prevalent on Capfriendly, like the way Hockeybuzz is, but not nearly as bad.

If it will cost $9.99 I am sure NHL teams might use it.

Well, if you aren't going to take my solid advice and use uBlock Origin...lol. It's free. *Advertisers hate this one trick...

Open source internet services are your friend. uBlock, Mozilla, etc.

Source: I have computer engineer friends and fam telling me what to do. Some of it is too other-world for me. But the simple fixes have been fantastic.

15 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Not worried at all. Capfriendly was borne from capgeek. There will be another.

Agreed. The need is there and there are always smart people out there looking to get into hockey. Have no concerns that a site as good as cap friendly will be running within the year 

Puckpedia is already pretty close 

Puckpedia provides nearly all the information that I am interested in.

However, I find that the interface is extremely bland looking.

Additionally, some of the player positions are downright incorrect.

For example, Coleman is listed as a C instead of LW/RW.

Another thing I miss is that CapFriendly would list all the positions that a player has played at in the NHL.

For example, Weegar should be listed as RD/LD, Sharangovich as C/RW/LW, etc.

Hopefully, these issues will improve when the viewership increases.

17 hours ago, cross16 said:

Agreed. The need is there and there are always smart people out there looking to get into hockey. Have no concerns that a site as good as cap friendly will be running within the year 

Puckpedia is already pretty close 

10 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Puckpedia provides nearly all the information that I am interested in.

However, I find that the interface is extremely bland looking.

Additionally, some of the player positions are downright incorrect.

For example, Coleman is listed as a C instead of LW/RW.

Another thing I miss is that CapFriendly would list all the positions that a player has played at in the NHL.

For example, Weegar should be listed as RD/LD, Sharangovich as C/RW/LW, etc.

Hopefully, these issues will improve when the viewership increases.

I'm not a software guy, but there came a point in my life where I really had to learn to understand it.

I was sold that I should develop software specific to my business. That's where discussing with a couple of friends and a couple of extended family members saved my Hash Rate.

The maintenance would have killed me. Software dev is pretty easy. Maintenance/upgrades notsomuch. Full-time jobs.

Back to topic.

Puckpedia will bring in a lot more traffic without capfriendly. Hence, advertising dollars. More money to push at it.

Alternatively, someone new will build the software architecture and have a team of IT guys develop it.

It's a fun business plan, if your business is software. There is money there.

I think, maybe, @jjgallow or @Heartbreaker or Kulak may be able to explain it better or audit my take. Anyone else is also welcomed to.

No one should be worried that it just goes away. If there is a market, the market will be sated.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not a software guy, but there came a point in my life where I really had to learn to understand it.

I was sold that I should develop software specific to my business. That's where discussing with a couple of friends and a couple of extended family members saved my Hash Rate.

The maintenance would have killed me. Software dev is pretty easy. Maintenance/upgrades notsomuch. Full-time jobs.

Back to topic.

Puckpedia will bring in a lot more traffic without capfriendly. Hence, advertising dollars. More money to push at it.

Alternatively, someone new will build the software architecture and have a team of IT guys develop it.

It's a fun business plan, if your business is software. There is money there.

I think, maybe, @jjgallow or @Heartbreaker or Kulak may be able to explain it better or audit my take. Anyone else is also welcomed to.

No one should be worried that it just goes away. If there is a market, the market will be sated.

Software is my business and I am thinking.

No comment lol

• Like 1