Stanley Cup Final

FLA just stopped playing.  Verhaeghe and Reinhart don't generate any legit chances. 

FLA's bottom six also have no creativity compared to the Oilers.  It's just guys carrying into the Oilers zone and then blindly throwing pucks at Skinner.  They hardly setup properly.  What I've seen is FLA puts pucks on net with a prayer and hope good things happen.  Oilers, on the other hand, are setting up plays with patience and they are shooting to score.

It's like the Oilers have Bobrovsky figured out while FLA resorts to low IQ fluke shots thinking's quantity is better than quality.  FLA is rushing everything.  EDM is moving the puck with purpose.

Edmonton in games 4-7 so far have been on another level in their own end.  I think we can stop saying it was just Vancouver or Dallas and give them their due.  Two years ago the thought they could win a playoff game 5-1 with 2 empty netters and not a single point from McDavid was asinine.  This is a different team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

FLA just stopped playing.  Verhaeghe and Reinhart don't generate any legit chances. 

FLA's bottom six also have no creativity compared to the Oilers.  It's just guys carrying into the Oilers zone and then blindly throwing pucks at Skinner.  They hardly setup properly.  What I've seen is FLA puts pucks on net with a prayer and hope good things happen.  Oilers, on the other hand, are setting up plays with patience and they are shooting to score.

It's like the Oilers have Bobrovsky figured out while FLA resorts to low IQ fluke shots thinking's quantity is better than quality.  FLA is rushing everything.  EDM is moving the puck with purpose.

Funny, I see it as just the opposite.  Florida is looking for the perfect set-up, with little communication and passing it around the outside even if they are open.  Hence 5 shots midway through the game.  Edmonton is getting turnovers and with speed rushing the net.  Their first  3 goals were two 2on1s and a breakaway.  Other times they get to the net and shoot as soon as they have an opportunity.  

if Florida doesn’t change things up they have no chance in game 7…

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

Edmonton in games 4-7 so far have been on another level in their own end.  I think we can stop saying it was just Vancouver or Dallas and give them their due.  Two years ago the thought they could win a playoff game 5-1 with 2 empty netters and not a single point from McDavid was asinine.  This is a different team.

Agree, they are finally playing as a team, with commitment and contributions all around.  Same thing we saw from Ovechkin and the Capitals a few years back.  

I don't know that FLA has figured out Bob. The Oilers are getting some great chances and cashing in.

The Oilers defensively are really limiting the quality chances for Florida. They're doing a great job at making life easy for Skinner.

Ultimately, I think you can throw the first six games out the window in a game 7. The first goal is going to be critical. I've got a really hard time picking against McDavid in game 7 though. 

20 hours ago, cberg said:

Agree, they are finally playing as a team, with commitment and contributions all around.  Same thing we saw from Ovechkin and the Capitals a few years back.  

Yes trues.

The Caps were a high powered offensive team for the longest time until Barry Trotz came in and taught them how to play team defense.  OV was a game breaking scorer.  The rest of the team just needs to play shut down hockey.  It's simple logic.  The Caps won the Cup that year.

It's taken the Oilers almost 9 years to accept and execute this concept.  McDavid can score 2-points per game.  Everyone else needs to win the game 2-1 or 1-0 every time.  Give McDavid the freedom to go score.  After that, the rest of the team should go into a shell and create a force field around Skinner.  Only counter attack when the opportunity presents itself.

FLA's chance to beat this is to have stud goaltending and two stud offensive lines to counter.  For some reason, Bob has looked average since game 4 and only Barkov and Tkachuk still have gas left.

22 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Yes trues.

The Caps were a high powered offensive team for the longest time until Barry Trotz came in and taught them how to play team defense.  OV was a game breaking scorer.  The rest of the team just needs to play shut down hockey.  It's simple logic.  The Caps won the Cup that year.

It's taken the Oilers almost 9 years to accept and execute this concept.  McDavid can score 2-points per game.  Everyone else needs to win the game 2-1 or 1-0 every time.  Give McDavid the freedom to go score.  After that, the rest of the team should go into a shell and create a force field around Skinner.  Only counter attack when the opportunity presents itself.

FLA's chance to beat this is to have stud goaltending and two stud offensive lines to counter.  For some reason, Bob has looked average since game 4 and only Barkov and Tkachuk still have gas left.

to me this has been the ah ha moment for the Oilers. Realizing that if they buy into defense, defend as a team, take away the middle of the ice they can use their speed to create counter pressure. Be patient and don't force it because chances will come. The oilers do this even with the Mcdavid/Draisaitl lines now too. 

This is what has florida on their heels. Florida is trying to use their heavy forecheck, but they are not getting any quality chances of of it and anytime they mishandle the puck the Oilers are going the other way. 

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Anyone else prefer the US feed? The coverage/access is way better.

I've rarely been so disinterested in a Final. I watch, but don't care either way who wins.

Oilers losing game 7 OT would be kinda fun, I've said all along.

I can't listen to Craig Simpson so Yes I've been on the US feeds. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Anyone else prefer the US feed? The coverage/access is way better.

I've rarely been so disinterested in a Final. I watch, but don't care either way who wins.

Oilers losing game 7 OT would be kinda fun, I've said all along.

To your point, when it's an Oiler game on SN, I turn the volume off.  

I watched US feed of the game where Draisaitl hit Barkov, and the rules guys suggested it was a major.

My only complaint was that the feed was 30 seconds delayed.

The only thing worse than losing game 7 after being up 3-0 would be losing game 7 after forcing a game 7 with 3 spectacular wins.

Well ….only a few hours away from the Oilers being Stanley Cup champs 🤮!! I’m hoping this is a form of reverse psychology but I think it’s over for the Panthers. If they haven’t been able to finish them off yet it’s not happening now. So everyone take this moment to enjoy life because after tonight you will not be able escape hearing about them winning the Cup or seeing them plastered on every Canadian sports channel for the rest of the summer 😩

48 minutes ago, rickross said:

Well ….only a few hours away from the Oilers being Stanley Cup champs 🤮!! I’m hoping this is a form of reverse psychology but I think it’s over for the Panthers. If they haven’t been able to finish them off yet it’s not happening now. So everyone take this moment to enjoy life because after tonight you will not be able escape hearing about them winning the Cup or seeing them plastered on every Canadian sports channel for the rest of the summer 😩

Well they planned the parade and will have it regardless.  The only thing is whether it has the cup and is the Oilers having it, or it's being brought to Alberta by a ex-Alberta native.

1 hour ago, rickross said:

I don't know what would be worse if the Oilers win.  Oilers fans rubbing it in or Flames fans refusing to tankasaurus as long as it takes to amass franchise altering talent.

27 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I don't know what would be worse if the Oilers win.  Oilers fans rubbing it in or Flames fans refusing to tankasaurus as long as it takes to amass franchise altering talent.

It doesn't matter what we want.  But why should I want to spend x amount of years wanting to lose, its not fun I like when sports is fun, can I accept losing? Yes.  Do I want it? No.  You may be annoyed by people not wanting to tank, I'm annoyed at people suggesting if the Oilers win it was all part of the plan, like winning a lottery with under 15% odds for a generational talent is all strategy.  I can accept the talent is needed, I can't accept that McDavid's grow on trees and they can be easily acquired.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, sak22 said:

It doesn't matter what we want.  But why should I want to spend x amount of years wanting to lose, its not fun I like when sports is fun, can I accept losing? Yes.  Do I want it? No.  You may be annoyed by people not wanting to tank, I'm annoyed at people suggesting if the Oilers win it was all part of the plan, like winning a lottery with under 15% odds for a generational talent is all strategy.  I can accept the talent is needed, I can't accept that McDavid's grow on trees and they can be easily acquired.

Good thing Oilers aren't winning tonight so we won't have to talk about this.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Either way the conversations about how the Flames need to get better moving forward, just is the Oilers the model to follow?  I think things could've been done better that they could've been at this point sooner, and I don't know if the window extends much beyond next season to do it if this year falters, I don't want a cup I want many cups.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

So, the secret for an Alberta team to make the Cup finals includes a decade of darkness, plus drafting top 10 in 10 of 15 most recent years.  We have 3 in the last 15, and the most recent was Tkachuk.  Long ways to go.

9 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Either way the conversations about how the Flames need to get better moving forward, just is the Oilers the model to follow?  I think things could've been done better that they could've been at this point sooner, and I don't know if the window extends much beyond next season to do it if this year falters, I don't want a cup I want many cups.

Funny thing about the Oilers model is prior to 2015 they were trying to end their rebuild. The offseason before they gave a 20 million contract to Benoit Pouliot, they gave a fairly big contract to Mark Fraser, Traded for Ben Scrivens, Teddy Purcell and David Perron. Hired Dallas Eakins as the head coach, who was one of the bigger names in the coaching circle at the time. 

them getting McDavid had nothing to do with planning was literally all luck. 

• Like 1

The Flames didn’t plan this either. The Flames didn’t plan to be drafting 9th overall this year. The Monahan deal was proof the Flames expected to compete… So in all actuality, might be very much in the what happens happens camp due to luck. Good or bad, we never chose this route while some of us think it was leaning this way long before it happened. But Johnny nearly signed, so how could we have known?

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I do hope this is the outcome but lost my faith in the Panthers. A true champ would have ended this by Game 5, Oilers have all of the momentum not to mention Mcdavid. It’s happening folks! TSN and Sportnets “Oilers Year in Review” The impossible Comeback”, “Where does Mcdavid rank all time now…?”….they will air specials all summer. You’ll be trying to avoid reading and watching all about it every where until next season starts.  I’ll give more credit to Florida for pulling off the greatest choke job of all time before crediting the Coilers with a comeback  if they win it.