Stanley Cup Final

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I love Paul Maurice. Been an underrated coach his whole career and a major reason why i'm pulling for the Panthers. Would be great to see him win a cup

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don't like the Draisaitl hit but honestly that's not suspension worthy. Penalty all day but not suspension worthy. 

Really? He jumped into a flying elbow direct to the head.  He should be given 20 games.  Totally dangerous and uncalled for. 

20 minutes ago, cberg said:

Really? He jumped into a flying elbow direct to the head.  He should be given 20 games.  Totally dangerous and uncalled for. 

lol. 20 games? I don't know what bias smells like, but I can hear it. lol

Further evidence that Barkov is annoying the Satoshi Nakamoto out of them, was that little tantrum. lol The elbow to the face was reckless. Should have been an elbowing penalty. I'd love if the league ended the military-grade gear that causes all of these injuries. It's not how you got hit, it's what you got hit with. May as well be solid teflon.

The gear is retardedly over-the-top for "protection". It's dangerous.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

I don't like the Draisaitl hit but honestly that's not suspension worthy. Penalty all day but not suspension worthy. 

If that were during the season that's an easy 2 games . He thrust his elbow out with clear intent ..

That being said ..it's the playoffs.. he'll get a fine . Unless barkov is out a game they won't risk being the optiks of determining the series by suspending a top player .

Now if barkov is out then they can get away with it 

The thing about the Draisaitl hit for me is you watch any hockey game and you'll find 1-2 of them in almost every game. 

Again I don't like it but if that is deemed a suspension then you are going to have a lot of suspensions to toss out. Finals or not. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Further evidence that Barkov is annoying the Satoshi Nakamoto out of them, was that little tantrum. lol The elbow to the face was reckless. Should have been an elbowing penalty. I'd love if the league ended the military-grade gear that causes all of these injuries. It's not how you got hit, it's what you got hit with. May as well be solid teflon.

Yup, I was given a used pair of those old leather elbow pads from a teammate when I forgot my plastic ones, and the guy said just keep em if you like em. I loved them. Never hurt when I was knocked over. I get that beer league is different, and pucks only come at probably half the velocity, but I never had a problem with them. I loved them! The elastic is so worn out, I have to wrap them around the whole arm. But I find I have way more mobility in my arms with these things.

I also wear a flimsy set of shoulder pads, kind of like Lemieux or Gretzky was it?

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The thing about the Draisaitl hit for me is you watch any hockey game and you'll find 1-2 of them in almost every game. 

Again I don't like it but if that is deemed a suspension then you are going to have a lot of suspensions to toss out. Finals or not. 

I do think they need to call them, to deter players from doing it. It took the NFL making bad heavy kinds of hits huge automatic penalty to stop it, but just call it! Even if they have to call it a 5 min major, anything to the head like that is an automatic. I didn't see the hit, but just commenting on how hits to the head should be called that way, if they want to get rid of concussions. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I do think they need to call them, to deter players from doing it. It took the NFL making bad heavy kinds of hits huge automatic penalty to stop it, but just call it! Even if they have to call it a 5 min major, anything to the head like that is an automatic. I didn't see the hit, but just commenting on how hits to the head should be called that way, if they want to get rid of concussions. 

Yeah I think the NFL can still be all over the place when it comes to hits, there are a lot of defensive back on receiver hits that are fine but the refs seem the need to air on the side of caution, worst part is there is zero review on those and many times defenses can get punished when the onus used to be on the QB to not throw it somewhere that your receiver would get destroyed.  The NHL will at least review before assessing a major penalty now.  But NFL don't even get me started on roughing the passer.  But I do think the NHL needs to do more to deter players, especially star players from head shots I thought they were getting better with Shanahan in the DOPS years ago but Parros is an absolute joke.

3 hours ago, sak22 said:

Yeah I think the NFL can still be all over the place when it comes to hits, there are a lot of defensive back on receiver hits that are fine but the refs seem the need to air on the side of caution, worst part is there is zero review on those and many times defenses can get punished when the onus used to be on the QB to not throw it somewhere that your receiver would get destroyed.  The NHL will at least review before assessing a major penalty now.  But NFL don't even get me started on roughing the passer.  But I do think the NHL needs to do more to deter players, especially star players from head shots I thought they were getting better with Shanahan in the DOPS years ago but Parros is an absolute joke.

but it is a different era, that's old school thinking. same in hockey, hits like the aren't allowed anymore

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Everyone should just bubble wrap.  Do you have any idea the satisfaction from the crowd on every hit they hear dozens of bubbles popping?

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Everyone should just bubble wrap.  Do you have any idea the satisfaction from the crowd on every hit they hear dozens of bubbles popping?

Not my wife that'd be hell for her.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

If that were during the season that's an easy 2 games . He thrust his elbow out with clear intent ..

That being said ..it's the playoffs.. he'll get a fine . Unless barkov is out a game they won't risk being the optiks of determining the series by suspending a top player .

Now if barkov is out then they can get away with it 

The hit was clearly dirty, intentional and dangerous.  It normally is a major penalty and a suspension.  The league is supposedly cracking down on head shots, primarily because of legal ramifications due to the many players who have suffered from repeated concussions and early deaths, not only in hockey but other major contact sports.  The fact that this is playoffs is/should be irrelevant.  A crime/penalty is a crime/penalty no matter the setting.  Just because the consequences are different doesn’t mean they should not enforce the same rules.  Failure to act is inevitably going to lead to one, totally predictable outcome, retribution by the participants.  Look for it the next couple of games.  Watch out Draisaitl and McDavid.

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

but it is a different era, that's old school thinking. same in hockey, hits like the aren't allowed anymore

Yeah, except when they aren’t, like playoffs or committed by a star player.  Well, different rules for different tools, nothing new in that.

49 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

They have rules, to protect the integrity of the game and the players.  Just call and apply them across the board.  Simple…

2 hours ago, cberg said:

They have rules, to protect the integrity of the game and the players.  Just call and apply them across the board.  Simple…

Oh for sure man.  I mean, the world is changing now.  We know more about CET and brain damage more than ever before.  We want to protect the head... Even go to suggest no contact to the head regardless of whatever.  Even accidents need to be a least 2-mins.  Make it like high sticking.  There are no accidents.  You have to be in control of your stick at all times.

The reason is, if we want this game to continue to grow, then we need parents willing to put their kids through hockey.  Even accidental elbows to the head should not be allowed.  If these rule changes alter the game to the point that there's no more hits, then so be it.  The game needs to catch up with the times.

16 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Oh for sure man.  I mean, the world is changing now.  We know more about CET and brain damage more than ever before.  We want to protect the head... Even go to suggest no contact to the head regardless of whatever.  Even accidents need to be a least 2-mins.  Make it like high sticking.  There are no accidents.  You have to be in control of your stick at all times.

The reason is, if we want this game to continue to grow, then we need parents willing to put their kids through hockey.  Even accidental elbows to the head should not be allowed.  If these rule changes alter the game to the point that there's no more hits, then so be it.  The game needs to catch up with the times.

The only thing stopping more parents from putting their kids in hockey (up to age of majority) is the high cost of fees and equipment.  What does it take to play soccer?  Pair of shorts, some shin pads and a cup.  Maybe cleats.  Less than $100.  

Call the penalties, but unless you make the rules like IIHF ones, boy will hit.  They are there to win and will do everything it takes.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

The only thing stopping more parents from putting their kids in hockey (up to age of majority) is the high cost of fees and equipment.  What does it take to play soccer?  Pair of shorts, some shin pads and a cup.  Maybe cleats.  Less than $100.  

Call the penalties, but unless you make the rules like IIHF ones, boy will hit.  They are there to win and will do everything it takes.

There is no CET problem in soccer.  Not sure what you are talking about.

Bubble wrap.  It's not expensive.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There is no CET problem in soccer.  Not sure what you are talking about.

Bubble wrap.  It's not expensive.

You are saying the way to grow the game is to call all penalties, right?

I'm suggesting that injury fear is not keeping the game from growing.

The cost makes it harder for some skilled kids to ever get a chance.

Not just true here, but other factors in the USA play a part.

I would suggest that injury concern by parents is low on that list.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You are saying the way to grow the game is to call all penalties, right?

I'm suggesting that injury fear is not keeping the game from growing.

The cost makes it harder for some skilled kids to ever get a chance.

Not just true here, but other factors in the USA play a part.

I would suggest that injury concern by parents is low on that list.

We are talking specifically about head shots, not just injury in general.   You can get injured in any sport.

We need to get rid of the head injuries and we should accept any collateral damage and fallout that comes with it.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

We are talking specifically about head shots, not just injury in general.   You can get injured in any sport.

We need to get rid of the head injuries and we should accept any collateral damage and fallout that comes with it.

Okay, so how do you stop people from getting a concussion outside head shots?

Boarding doesn't target the head but can result in one.

Fighting is probably the worst culprit for CET.

Could ban fighting or have an automatic 1 game minimum suspension.

Trip and fall into the boards because you are skating 33 mph.

So, every penalty that has a head shot is a suspension.

Every fight is a suspension.

IMHO, Draisaitl should have gotten a game for that hit.

It wasn't maybe dirty (I think he hides his sleazy plays) but it was a head shot.

45 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Okay, so how do you stop people from getting a concussion outside head shots?

Boarding doesn't target the head but can result in one.

Fighting is probably the worst culprit for CET.

Could ban fighting or have an automatic 1 game minimum suspension.

Trip and fall into the boards because you are skating 33 mph.

So, every penalty that has a head shot is a suspension.

Every fight is a suspension.

IMHO, Draisaitl should have gotten a game for that hit.

It wasn't maybe dirty (I think he hides his sleazy plays) but it was a head shot.

Any check legal or not rattles the brain around inside the skull.

I guess all the lawmakers can do is try to minise the risks.  

Giving a 2 minute penalty for an elbow to the head is not in my books minmising the risks.   The hit by Draisatal in my book was predatory (I know the league ruled otherwise) to the oppositions star player and borne out of frustration.

If that elbow had been to McDavid there would have been uproar.