Western Conference Playoffs

conundrumed

Crazy finish.  I tuned in at 3-0 with about 10 minutes to go.  Garland scores and Canucks had life.

Di Giuseppe what a missed chance.  Hronek scores after that.  But the Oilers didn't give the Canucks anything after that.

Tough luck for the Canucks to not have Demko the entire series and not have Beoser in the most important game.

Where does the Canucks draft pick end up being now?

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I know the Canucks got a bit of a playoff run, but I’m curious how they’ll feel about the Lindholm trade.

Lindholm was better in the playoffs. I think he priced himself out of Vancouver.

I guess it was a high price to pay, but you only get so much chances where you had a regular season like VAN did . Have to take your shot every once in a while.

Zadorov has become a fan favorite over there and had a monster playoffs.  I think they will bring him back.

Lindholm was pretty good in the playoffs too.  I think the Canucks would want to bring him back but who knows what the price will be.  Lindholm's next contract is unpredictable.

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Ok, write a comment, check back, 2-0.  So much for 1 shot.  Looks like we’ll have to tolerate the Oilers for a bit longer.  

I am...shocked the Oilers are in round 3.   I was very tempted to cheer for Vancouver but I'm still not totally over the 2011 riots LOL.   This was a contest between two teams I ...reluctantly, can't bring myself to cheer for and so it "is what it is".

To me, the real story here is that Vancouver got as far as they did on the goaltending they had.

Dallas should be rights tear the Oilers to pieces, but, them making it to the 3rd round is still big.   Means they won't self-destruct now.  Means McDavid will probably stay.   

I really feel like that Dallas-Colorado series may have determined the cup winner.

46 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Zadorov has become a fan favorite over there and had a monster playoffs.  I think they will bring him back.

Lindholm was pretty good in the playoffs too.  I think the Canucks would want to bring him back but who knows what the price will be.  Lindholm's next contract is unpredictable.

I think Zadorov goes to the highest bidder. 

It’s gonna be a really bad contract. Probably 5 years. Probably close to 5m

8 hours ago, jjgallow said:

This was a contest between two teams I ...reluctantly, can't bring myself to cheer for

I wasn't reluctant. When asked who I was cheering for, my standard answer was, "Can they both lose"?

• Like 1

Think Edmonton is in trouble against Dallas.

97, 29 and 2 have carried them offensively. They’re only halfway through the playoffs.

There are no depth issues in Dallas. Very few passengers on a given night.

Best goalie Edmonton has seen will be Oettinger. As well as Silovs played, the save percentage was in the .880’s for the series. Skewed a bit by game 6, if you took that game away, Silovs was just over .900. Edmonton hasn’t exactly seen 2012 Jonathan Quick so far.

Its hard for me to see a path where the Oilers beat Dallas. For me, top to bottom, Dallas is the best team in the playoffs. Could argue the Rangers, maybe Florida, But no one is as deep as Dallas. Vancouver is not a deep team and while I will give the Oilers some credit they have improved their defensive game under the new coach. Vancouver's rush offense was almost non existent in the series and they became very 1 dimensional at 5 on 5 but I think that has more to do with personnel then it does the Oilers play. Petey is not a good playoff player and the problem the Canucks have is outside of him and Miller there talent falls off fast especially when you think about transition and rush play. Having said that, the Oilers still struggled with the Canucks forecheck, especially when Bouchard and Eklhom are not on the ice. Not only can Dallas forecheck the crap out of you, they stifle you in the neutral zone and they'll take it the other way. I don't see them being 1 dimensional against the Oilers and I don't see how the Oilers slow them down. 

It feels like a much bigger underdog situation for them then it's going to be sold in the press and normally the way to then win that series is goaltending. Well it's basically impossible for me to see a scenario where Skinner is the better goalie in this series. 

there just isn't anything from the playoffs so far that impressed me enough to think the Oilers can beat the Stars and it won't shock me if this series is over in 5 or less. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, cross16 said:

Its hard for me to see a path where the Oilers beat Dallas. For me, top to bottom, Dallas is the best team in the playoffs. Could argue the Rangers, maybe Florida, But no one is as deep as Dallas. Vancouver is not a deep team and while I will give the Oilers some credit they have improved their defensive game under the new coach. Vancouver's rush offense was almost non existent in the series and they became very 1 dimensional at 5 on 5 but I think that has more to do with personnel then it does the Oilers play. Petey is not a good playoff player and the problem the Canucks have is outside of him and Miller there talent falls off fast especially when you think about transition and rush play. Having said that, the Oilers still struggled with the Canucks forecheck, especially when Bouchard and Eklhom are not on the ice. Not only can Dallas forecheck the crap out of you, they stifle you in the neutral zone and they'll take it the other way. I don't see them being 1 dimensional against the Oilers and I don't see how the Oilers slow them down. 

It feels like a much bigger underdog situation for them then it's going to be sold in the press and normally the way to then win that series is goaltending. Well it's basically impossible for me to see a scenario where Skinner is the better goalie in this series. 

there just isn't anything from the playoffs so far that impressed me enough to think the Oilers can beat the Stars and it won't shock me if this series is over in 5 or less. 

I think the Oiler's best shot would be Olivier Rodrigue, but I'll admit that's just as crazy as it sounds, a huge hail mary, still unlikely to work, and not something they'll try.

Dallas is vastly superior but I would not call them a goaltending powerhouse either.   It's unsual to be this far in the playoffs and still have 2 teams without an ace in the hole.   Still, he's been quite good.

My feel is for a Oettinger/Shesterkin showdown in the finals, or one of the other goalies considerably ups their current game (not likely to happen in Edmonton but could happen in Florida).

DAL just defeated MacKinnon - Rantanen - Makar who are comparable to McDavid -Draisaitl - Bouchard.  So we know DAL can beat this type of star power.  EDM hasn't faced anyone as complete as DAL and so this is likely where EDM's playoffs end.

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I would say, if VAN is able to sign him, that it would be between 7 and 8.5M.  One would think that Lindy would want a bigger payday from VAN to move there.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I have my biases no doubt, but I don't think the Oilers would even have beaten COL.  They are 1 and 2 in the West IMHO.  I don't even think they would have beaten VGK, but that would have needed to be round 1.  Getting LA then VAN is a pretty sweet path to the WCF.  

The last 4 games for VAN have to be the most pitiful play of any playoff team this year.  Game 7 and you only get 2 shots in the 1st, and that included a double minor PP.  The other 3 were nearly as bad.  I wouldn't say that the goalie was bad, just that you get what you deserve when you see 27+ shots in 6 of 7 games.

The WCF should be interesting.  Not sure that they even have as good a team as the 2022 team that got swept by COL.  Ekholm is probably the most consistent guy they have.  Still a one line team.  Good on the PK against a weak PP team.  

57 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I would say, if VAN is able to sign him, that it would be between 7 and 8.5M.  One would think that Lindy would want a bigger payday from VAN to move there.

With those stats though, it's $7-mil max.  Flames were offering $9 and he turned it down.  My guess was he wanted to play in the USA too so VAN might not be a place he wants to go.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

With those stats though, it's $7-mil max.  Flames were offering $9 and he turned it down.  My guess was he wanted to play in the USA too so VAN might not be a place he wants to go.

The phonecall:

Lindy: Is that $9 x 8 still on the table?

Conroy: Dude, this is so awkward.

lol

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Scary that Dallas is in, "we can be this good for years" territory. For how good they are, teams are typically drained of prospects. Yet their prospect pool isn't bad at all. They're shy on 2-4 rd picks, but still have all of their 1sts. Cap is in decent shape atm. Pretty darn stealthy from the mgmt team. It's kind of unheard of to have a cup fave and see that they won't lose much talent if they do win it. Really, just Pavelski, Duchene and Tanev. Not huge ticket items. RFA deals for the rest. Then they still have a prospect pool to move forward.

They are in excellent shape if they take a cup this year.

38 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

23 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

The phonecall:

Lindy: Is that $9 x 8 still on the table?

Conroy: Dude, this is so awkward.

lol

I don't think VAN can sign him, but they won't want to lose the asset for nothing so they will overpay.  Assuming Lindy will sign for less.  Even though he didn't light it up regular season (injured for some of it), he will still be sought after by teams needing a 200 foot #2C.

14 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I am...shocked the Oilers are in round 3.   I was very tempted to cheer for Vancouver but I'm still not totally over the 2011 riots LOL.   This was a contest between two teams I ...reluctantly, can't bring myself to cheer for and so it "is what it is".

To me, the real story here is that Vancouver got as far as they did on the goaltending they had.

Dallas should be rights tear the Oilers to pieces, but, them making it to the 3rd round is still big.   Means they won't self-destruct now.  Means McDavid will probably stay.   

I really feel like that Dallas-Colorado series may have determined the cup winner.

I think the two most shocking things are, first that a simple thing like playing basic Defense/getting into lanes/stick-checking was so effective in killing Vancouver’s offence, and secondly that the Oilers could actually play like a team and do it, for two straight games.  On to the next round.  Dallas plays a stronger version of that every single game,  and has a much stronger, more diversified offence so it would be a miracle if the Oilers win.  However, as they say, you play the games on the ice.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I don't think VAN can sign him, but they won't want to lose the asset for nothing so they will overpay.  Assuming Lindy will sign for less.  Even though he didn't light it up regular season (injured for some of it), he will still be sought after by teams needing a 200 foot #2C.

Boston REALLY comes to mind. They just had almost nothing to offer us and Van opened the vault. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boston want him now. Zacha's a good player, but rolling him out as a 1C is a stretch.

Good backend-out team that is really stalling out at fwd.

I'm surprised how much Van gave up to rent him, tbh. Bruce was 2nd only to Parekh in OHL D scoring this year.

It was no secret that his D +1 was sailing along.

Let's get 2 of the top 4 D ppg leaders, just for fun! 2 and 4. Not 1. Nooo wayyyy:

718301862fd4c356d4ee3768ab8a75e5.png

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Boston REALLY comes to mind. They just had almost nothing to offer us and Van opened the vault. I wouldn't be surprised to see Boston want him now. Zacha's a good player, but rolling him out as a 1C is a stretch.

Good backend-out team that is really stalling out at fwd.

I'm surprised how much Van gave up to rent him, tbh. Bruce was 2nd only to Parekh in OHL D scoring this year.

It was no secret that his D +1 was sailing along.

Let's get 2 of the top 4 D ppg leaders, just for fun! 2 and 4. Not 1. Nooo wayyyy:

718301862fd4c356d4ee3768ab8a75e5.png

I think  you're being unfair.

Here's a zoomed-out Parekh defensive-play highlight real:

giphy.gif

18 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I know the Canucks got a bit of a playoff run, but I’m curious how they’ll feel about the Lindholm trade.

Lindholm was better in the playoffs. I think he priced himself out of Vancouver.

I guess it was a high price to pay, but you only get so much chances where you had a regular season like VAN did . Have to take your shot every once in a while.

Ya these are hard ones. There were games I didn't see him and then times like last night where I thought he was one of their best players. See below.. he was good. 

I didn't think the Canucks were close but for what they gave up I don't blame their GM for taking a shot. Can always be conservative but I still think the deal made sense for the Canucks. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Ya these are hard ones. There were games I didn't see him and then times like last night where I thought he was one of their best players. See below.. he was good. 

I didn't think the Canucks were close but for what they gave up I don't blame their GM for taking a shot. Can always be conservative but I still think the deal made sense for the Canucks. 

It was probably the right call by VAN to go for it.

You only get so many seasons that work out like this regular season did for the Canucks. Take the shots when you can 

The playoffs saved the deal for VAN. It was looking like Eric Staal to the Rangers during the regular season.

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

28 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It was probably the right call by VAN to go for it.

You only get so many seasons that work out like this regular season did for the Canucks. Take the shots when you can 

The playoffs saved the deal for VAN. It was looking like Eric Staal to the Rangers during the regular season.

Oh 100% VAN did right to go for it.  When you are the #1 team in the Conference, at the time, and feel you have a legit shot at the Cup... Even if just playing defense and preventing COL or DAL from getting Lindholm, go do it.  As cross mentioned, the price wasn't even high.  Zadorov was practically free, just take the whole cap hit.  And Zadorov was a positive contributor in the playoffs too.

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I kind of think teams misuse him a lot. That might be him, but I'd set him up as a shooter. He has an extremely good snipe and was able to find shooter areas, but I think not tapped into enough.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Zadorov is rumoured to be asking for $6 x 6 according to Darren Dreger.

Myers is up.

Canucks can never go too long without a bad 6x6 UFA singing.

Eriksson. Myers. Zadorov should be next