Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

55 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Absolutely.. just that it's a pretty direct statement. Not a general one but one that puts to bed Markstrom driving the move out of town . Is he willing to move ? Sure..  will they move him? Sure if the deal is right . 

I don't take statements like what  Conroy said at face value. Like I said I think it's damage control. GMs almost never are going to give you the whole truth. 

Do I think he's demanded (as in "i'm not going to play here again") a move, not at all. But I also don't think we are in the " hey if you can move me great but if not i'm happy to be here" phase either. I think his request is amicable, for now, because it's driven not by not wanting to be here but by wanting to win. Something that is not going to happen here within his timeline.  I think his statement is damage control because both sides want this done but Makrstom was really upset about how public this got last time. Conroy is trying to keep this quieter so it doesn't fall apart again. 

However, in the big picture here this is less about leverage and more about the goalie market. Conroy and the Flames can demand whatever they want but ultimately the market is going to dictate the return and that's what I think is going to lead to a less than exciting return, not leverage. 

Appears to be done and for the approximately value i would have guessed.

Be really interesting to see what was on the table on the TDL. This feels like a situation the Flames did not execute well

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Be really interesting to see what was on the table on the TDL. This feels like a situation the Flames did not execute well

Probably cost them Holtz. Maybe the Flames aren’t that high on him.

The 10th pick was clearly never on the table.

Dont mind the 25 1st. Six first in the next three drafts.

Bahl is a pretty good pickup. This team needs NHL defence. Saves them from a bad contract in UFA

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Bahl is a pretty good pickup. This team needs NHL defence. Saves them from a bad contract in UFA

People are going to be mad but this is a solid return for a goalie Markstrom's age, and a goalie that many would have moved with a sweetener 2 seasons ago. 

Bahl is the type of dman this team needs more of. Bottom pairing guy but solid in his own zone

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

People are going to be mad but this is a good return for a goalie Markstrom age, and a goalie that many would have given a sweetner for 2 seasons ago. 

Bahl is the type of dman this team needs more of. Bottom pairing guy but solid in his own zone

I think what’s also being overlooked is where Markstrom was a season ago. He really struggled. One of the principal reasons the Flames missed the playoffs.

Pretty solid return. When they signed him, I didn’t think they would be able to move him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

People are going to be mad but this is a good return for a goalie Markstrom age, and a goalie that many would have given a sweetner for 2 seasons ago. 

I think for me, anything on top of a 1st is gravy, icing on the cake. We always push for more, and as fans we tend to overvalue our own players. Some of us don't always think we'd get the best return also. Many players I undervalue. I just wanted a first and was hoping for a good player also. For signing Markstrom in UFA, it's also a good return.

• Like 2

Bahl fills a short term need for sure and is decent at what he does. I don't think this is a player who will be here over term but he's worth getting a look at. 

if he can cut down on the penalties they might have something more. 

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

was reading earlier thats where Zito was digging his heels in .. apparently even at TDL it was always the 2025 hed offer .. dont know much about the Dman, but I'm not hearing lottery protected so thats a plus 

4 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

was reading earlier thats where Zito was digging his heels in .. apparently even at TDL it was always the 2025 hed offer .. dont know much about the Dman, but I'm not hearing lottery protected so thats a plus 

it is lottery (top 10) protected in 2025. Will revert to a 2026 if that is the case. 

• Angry 1

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It's fair.  It is basically the TDL deal that didn't happen for some reason.  I don't know much about Bahl.  But sounds like Holtz is trending bust and too high risk.  Bahl sounds like he's got a 10-year career ahead of him as a 5/6/7 guy.

In the end, the Flames asked for a 1st round pick + young prospect and got the deal they wanted.  Conroy not playing games and we are starting to see his style.  He names a price and that's the price.  Literally, you meet the price and the player is yours.  No poker whatsoever.

32 minutes ago, cross16 said:

it is lottery (top 10) protected in 2025. Will revert to a 2026 if that is the case. 

11th overall would be fine, but I doubt it.  If they crash and burn, they are almost as likely to crash and burn in 2026 as well.

38 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Bahl fills a short term need for sure and is decent at what he does. I don't think this is a player who will be here over term but he's worth getting a look at. 

if he can cut down on the penalties they might have something more. 

I'm thinking young Erik Gubrandson..

12 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

11th overall would be fine, but I doubt it.  If they crash and burn, they are almost as likely to crash and burn in 2026 as well.

NJD got unlucky last year with Hamilton and Hughes injuries.  And now with Markstrom, you've got to assume they squeeze into the playoffs.

29 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I'm thinking young Erik Gubrandson..

Depends what Gudbranson you have in mind. The Gudbranson who was here for a year and looked solid, or the Gudbranson who has struggled for the majority of his career. 

I think Bahl is close to the later than the former. 

Zadorov is a better comp I think, although I think Z is a better puck mover. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I always take these statements as canned , but here's the talking point on Bahl 

Conroy seems to favour size.  He drafted bigger too last year.  Maybe we see bigger players prioritized on this year's draft too.  So maybe we focus on a big D or someone like Sennecke.

Conroy's recent comments about what he has learned from the playoffs, foreshowed this trade. He said that size on the back end was very important in these playoffs, and if you look at the last few playoffs size on the back end has been a big theme.

Friedman mentioned on 32 thoughts he thought it was possible SJ was on Goodrows NTC.

This is a poor use of cap space by the Sharks. I know they have familiarity with Goodrow, but it’s a bad contract. Letting the Rangers off the hook here.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friedman mentioned on 32 thoughts he thought it was possible SJ was on Goodrows NTC.

This is a poor use of cap space by the Sharks. I know they have familiarity with Goodrow, but it’s a bad contract. Letting the Rangers off the hook here.

Yeah, but they don't have any concerns about cap space in the next few years and they get a player to help the young players. Plus they can pretty easily eat half his deal and flip him for a decent return. 

I look at the moves being made by Conroy and I am not unhappy. That does not mean I am overwhelmed either, but they seem to be reasonable moves overall.

There is little for the Flames to do with respect to signing any big names on their own roster other than Kylington and Wolf. Klapka, Pelletier, Damiani, Kuznetsov and Solovyov should be easy signings, If the Flames want Greer back, also nothing too challenging. Not sure if they re-sign Okhotyuk, while Gilbert and Dube are cut loose. All the others are maybe re-sign at best while likely seeing many cut loose.

Still some work to do, but for those who were looking for a major tear down and rebuild, here we are.

Six 1st round picks in the next three years

How many of those picks do the Flames actually make? 

I think they’ll end up dealing at least one of them. If they could trade the VAN pick for a young RFA, I think they would. Montreal has done this quite a bit. Newhook, Romanov and Dach were all acquired with excess picks.

I would have to think that veteran goalie to play for the Wranglers will be high on the wish list on July 1st. Maybe someone like Pheonix Copley, that has NHL experience and can come up and play if needed.

• Like 1