Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

This part confuses me. Likely because I have the IQ of a reasonably attractive nightstand table.

Is that bonus a cap hit in year 9?

Apologies @cross16, I could likely easily look it up. I just trust you more than the internet. Well, not to re-wire my basement advice, but the matter at hand. lol

I know you're a fan of Tulsky, so assume that you're all over this.😬

This isn't new, but 1st. Feel free to correct me.

An attractive nightstand?  I think you are selling yourself short.  Maybe a credenza?

How about a whatnot shelf (do people even have those anymore).

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

This part confuses me. Likely because I have the IQ of a reasonably attractive nightstand table.

Is that bonus a cap hit in year 9?

Apologies @cross16, I could likely easily look it up. I just trust you more than the internet. Well, not to re-wire my basement advice, but the matter at hand. lol

I know you're a fan of Tulsky, so assume that you're all over this.😬

This isn't new, but 1st. Feel free to correct me.

Maybe he could give good advice on re-wiring your basement.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Maybe he could give good advice on re-wiring your basement.

maybe, if you defer the payment, it will only count as 75% in the future, therefore if it costs $25,000, if he defers it, he only pays $20,000 in the future?

1 hour ago, robrob74 said:

still seems like voodoo math, lol. A dollar today is worth more than a dollar tomorrow... shouldn't all contracts work that way? Or do they? Still seems odd. 

Not suggesting it's the right approach just it's how the NHL has chosen to do it. future value vs present value is a pretty standard practice in money management so I see where they are coming from. 

No contracts don't' work that way because al the money is due during the course of the contract so you could do that if you want but you'd get the same answer. The fact that money here is being paid after that contract is what merits the calculation. 

Owners would love to defer money but players normally don't so have to find a compromise somewhere. 

With the CBA set to expire in 2026, I can’t see too many player wanting to go the deferred payment route. Most players are going to want as much money up front as possible.

The only reason I can think that a player would go the deferred payments route is if they end up with more money at the end of the contract.