Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

this would be a significant move from the Panthers, but probably a smart one. Injuries have always been an issue with Ekblad. Hes

coming off a 51 game season where he had 18pts.

1yr left. He will be 29 when an extension kick in. Zito isn’t afraid to make the big trade.

Mmm we have a lot of cap space to act as a 3party broker…

6 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

Mangiapane is pretty much a cap dump.  If we move Andersson, Weegar, and/or Kadri, then we apply the offensive re pronoun.  Triggers everyone understandably.

1 hour ago, The_People1 said:

Mangiapane is pretty much a cap dump.  If we move Andersson, Weegar, and/or Kadri, then we apply the offensive re pronoun.  Triggers everyone understandably.

I agree, I dont think though Weegar or Kadri will move but Andersson possibly in another scenario.

I was looking at a couple of bad contracts that Calgary could take on to help teams that need cap space and in return maybe we get some picks or prospects.

Pageau (Islanders): 2 years at $5m.

Atkinson (Flyers): 1 year at $5.875m

Schmidt (Jets): 1 year at $5.95m

• Like 1

TSN talking about Treliving kicking tires on Kadri lol.
But for fun, how could a three way trade work getting Kadri for Marner the flipping Marner to Ott for the 7OA pick. What prices would be added. Does CGY entertain the idea of a tiny retention on Kadri?
Not sure if OTT has cap space to even attempt Marner

Maybe Marner to CLB for 4th OA and Maybe take Laine somehow  cgy might have to throw in extra

Maybe Utah or Seattle would be interested

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I don’t understand the Cap Dump, we didn’t need to shed salary, it’s most definitely not a cap dump…we had over 20 mil and what 2-3…maybe 4-5 slots to fill, clearly NOT a cap dump.

1 hour ago, Otown72 said:

But for fun, how could a three way trade work getting Kadri for Marner the flipping Marner to Ott for the 7OA pick. What prices would be added. Does CGY entertain the idea of a tiny retention on Kadri?

Maybe Marner to CLB for 4th OA and Maybe take Laine somehow  cgy might have to throw in extra

Something like this is what I’m wondering…Manji was not a cap

dump by any means…clearly a he’s not a fit in 2 years…Sam can be said for Kadri, Weegar, Backlund and Coleman.

Anderson is a bit of hard one for me, on the one hand he’s young enough to be the veteran D leader like Weegar is now in 2-3 years…..on the other hand he’s worth a lot in terms of trade value…he’s a top pair D for most teams, and top 4 on any team….it’s a tough call.

The other guy as much as I hate to say it is Kylington needs to be in trade conversations…love the guy but in 2-3 years he’s in that 30 range.

also, side note…been wondering why Conroy didn’t call
Dal about Suter, we could have taken him he’s an ideal fit 1 year bad contract…to add a pick or

prospect to the pool.  

1 hour ago, Otown72 said:

Somebody suggested that it would be Marner for Kadri + Andersson.  That seems overpay for someone they are actively shopping and would be incredibly difficult to re-sign, assuming he would waive.  The age is not so much the issue, just that he is already a $10M man and has been for years.

I don't get why TOR would even consider trading him unless he wants out.  Other than 3 points in 7 playoffs games what is their issue?  

32 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Somebody suggested that it would be Marner for Kadri + Andersson.  That seems overpay for someone they are actively shopping and would be incredibly difficult to re-sign, assuming he would waive.  The age is not so much the issue, just that he is already a $10M man and has been for years.

I don't get why TOR would even consider trading him unless he wants out.  Other than 3 points in 7 playoffs games what is their issue?  

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Marner is always the fall guy in Toronto. Bring Mony back and you've got Huby-Mony-Marner. Maybe not Mony exactly, but a C that is a snipe. Marner and Huberdeau would probably be a lot of fun to watch.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Marner is NOT a fit, 2 years ago absolutely, but not now.

added why have 2 10+ mil underperforming players? 

HARD PASS

Then only way you move Kadri + Anderson for Marner is if it’s Marner + a first.

Anderson is worth more than Marner, but Kadri not as much as Marner. Any team wanting Anderson they need to PAY 

14 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Marner is always the fall guy in Toronto. Bring Mony back and you've got Huby-Mony-Marner. Maybe not Mony exactly, but a C that is a snipe. Marner and Huberdeau would probably be a lot of fun to watch.

Yeah that could work.

Just not sure if CGY would be on Marners list of teams to so we go the trade route.

5 minutes ago, Otown72 said:

Yeah that could work.

Just not sure if CGY would be on Marners list of teams to so we go the trade route.

I think gaining lots of cap space is either a.) taking cap dumps for picks b.) ready and able when something falls out of the tree.

If the Leafs can't wait a year for Tavares to expire, losing Marner is a near perfect mistake to capitalize on.

They're not just trading Matthews' set up guy. They're also trading their top all around player. PP, PK, he does it all.

Why Toronto blames him for everything is beyond me. If he gets traded, my bet is he's going to go to town with a vengeance. Toronto won't recover losing him. And Matthews won't get near 60 ever again.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I think gaining lots of cap space is either a.) taking cap dumps for picks b.) ready and able when something falls out of the tree.

If the Leafs can't wait a year for Tavares to expire, losing Marner is a near perfect mistake to capitalize on.

They're not just trading Matthews' set up guy. They're also trading their top all around player. PP, PK, he does it all.

Why Toronto blames him for everything is beyond me. If he gets traded, my bet is he's going to go to town with a vengeance. Toronto won't recover losing him. And Matthews won't get near 60 ever again.

I guess I was just thinking it was an expensive trade with Kadri and Ras.  We can replace both, but Kadri might be the bigger loss to the young-uns.  I wonder if Kadri alone though would do it.  Then they can blame him like they used to.  

Players they love to blames in TO:

Marner

Kadri

Brodie

Any goalie

Some random 4th liner

3 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Another name I wonder about is Anthony Cirelli. Can Tampa afford Cirelli at $6.25m? The term is scary at 7 years,  but he is still only 26 years old.

Love the player.  Not sure what you need to send back for the trade to work.  In some ways, it's dumping an expensive player contract, but he is worth a lot.  They wouldn't be able to take back much salary.  It would have to be at least Coronato or something interesting to them.  We have no high end players that make sense.  Maybe Zary and Pospisil?  No idea how to structure a trade.

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

I guess I was just thinking it was an expensive trade with Kadri and Ras.  We can replace both, but Kadri might be the bigger loss to the young-uns.  I wonder if Kadri alone though would do it.  Then they can blame him like they used to.  

Players they love to blames in TO:

Marner

Kadri

Brodie

Any goalie

Some random 4th liner

A couple of Leafs buddies this morning: The Leafs are going to trade Marner to Boston for Debrusk and prospects.lol

Ummm, dummies, Debrusk is a free agent. My god, these people just want him gone. Like, wtf. Media-fed morons. I thought they were smarter. Guess not.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Another name I wonder about is Anthony Cirelli. Can Tampa afford Cirelli at $6.25m? The term is scary at 7 years,  but he is still only 26 years old.

I really like Cirelli too. Is Stamkos really going to FA? I'll be shocked if TBag lets him. Scary to think of Stamkos in a different jersey. Dude is nails. Dallas? Toronto please god no, LA?

He'll make any team instantly better. Just can't picture him in a different jersey, and the thoughts are a little scary.

3 hours ago, Otown72 said:

Marner has a full NMC so it's completely up to him if he wants to come to Calgary.  And it's probably a 'no'.  Especially if he's just going to get flipped to another team at TDL.

3 hours ago, Otown72 said: