Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

I don't see this the same way because I don't agree with the notion that he "can't" defend. He's actually an above avg defender he just does it in less traditional areas. I see a lot of Adam Fox in Parekh. Parekh has work to do, no doubt but I don't think the starting point is that low. He defends very well up ice, keeps pucks alive, gaps well, he just struggles when it gets below the dots in his own zone. 

I'd love to have him personally.

Would you say Yakemchuk is a better defender than Parekh?

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Would you say Yakemchuk is a better defender than Parekh?

Today yes.  But the runway for Parekh is significantly longer in terms of improvement. 

Ok so, I have an idea but not sure what the return could be but:

Kadri to NJD

for ????

I could see Kadri wanting to go to NJD they are primed for some post season success…Kadri signed here cause at that time he figured Cgy was gonna push to be part of the contenders group…clearly that’s a few years away now.

this makes Sense for NJD cause they lack some grit and bite and Kadri brings that…he was great in gel develop a few of our young guys, and he could definitely help NJD in that same way. I

could see him as a solid 3rd line stability factor for NJD much like he was in Col.

another possibility is Coleman, not that I see him wanting out but he may want a crack at another Cup…I could see him as a good fit on most contender including NJD…Dal makes the most sense for him though being his home

town and they are pushing hard as contenders.

all that said, I’d really like

to see Manji and Hubie moved before Kadri and Coleman, but ultimately all four need to go and probably Backlund too over the next 2-3 years…though sooner the better in my opinion get the younger blood in asap 

I can reasonably envision Mangiapane and his $5.8M contract (8 team no trade list) being traded anytime before the next TDL. He was a 6th round draft pick in 2015, so asset management wise almost any return would be a win. I'm going to guess that Calgary might get up to a 3rd round draft pick without retaining any salary.

Huberdeau's $10.5M contract is structured to be almost untradeable even if he agreed to waive his full NMC. Heck, almost 73% of it is in signing bonuses.

So far, Kadri is saying all the right things about staying during this rebuild. He has stated that he really enjoys playing with the younger wingers. Right now, he is worth every penny of his $7M full NMC contract. In 2026/2027, it changes to a 13 team no trade list.

I feel that Coleman is probably fine with finishing out his career in Calgary. He has already won two Stanley Cups and his $4.9M contract runs for 3 more years concluding at age 35. If the Flames really want to trade him, he has a 10 team trade list so getting a decent return might be difficult.

I am pretty confident that Backlund will finish his NHL career in Calgary. Two more years at $4.5M and he'll be 37 at it's conclusion. He has a full NMC until January 1, 2026 and then a 15 team no trade list after that. So, while it is possible that he could be traded at the TDL of his final season, I think that he stays.

I think Kadri is stuck here, whether he likes it or not.

He had a very good season. But at his age and term remaining, you're not getting much in return.

It would be like Brent Burns to CAR. The Sharks had to eat money and they got a 3rd, Lorentz and a low, level prospect. It was more about saving the owner some money than actually improving the team. I think that's what a Kadri trade would be,

Kadri's value is going to be greater to the Flames than it is on the trade market. I don't think the Flames intend on being "good" for the next few years, but I also don't think they wanna get steamrolled every night. If you trade Kadri, there are going to be a lot of nights where the Flames score two or less.

7 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I can reasonably envision Mangiapane and his $5.8M contract (8 team no trade list) being traded anytime before the next TDL. He was a 6th round draft pick in 2015, so asset management wise almost any return would be a win. I'm going to guess that Calgary might get up to a 3rd round draft pick without retaining any salary.

Huberdeau's $10.5M contract is structured to be almost untradeable even if he agreed to waive his full NMC. Heck, almost 73% of it is in signing bonuses.

So far, Kadri is saying all the right things about staying during this rebuild. He has stated that he really enjoys playing with the younger wingers. Right now, he is worth every penny of his $7M full NMC contract. In 2026/2027, it changes to a 13 team no trade list.

I feel that Coleman is probably fine with finishing out his career in Calgary. He has already won two Stanley Cups and his $4.9M contract runs for 3 more years concluding at age 35. If the Flames really want to trade him, he has a 10 team trade list so getting a decent return might be difficult.

I am pretty confident that Backlund will finish his NHL career in Calgary. Two more years at $4.5M and he'll be 37 at it's conclusion. He has a full NMC until January 1, 2026 and then a 15 team no trade list after that. So, while it is possible that he could be traded at the TDL of his final season, I think that he stays.

I think Mangiapane is gone sooner than later.  Ideally they make a deal early so they can audition players in the top 6 to replace him.  I don't see the value of him continuing to play with Backlund.  Haven't seen him raise his game anywhere else.  

To me, the return doesn't matter that much.  A shame we didn't trade him after the 35 goal season.  But if we could trade him to a team lacking wingers, maybe we get a prospect or mid pick for him.  Put some conditions to improve the pick, like 25 goals or team wins a playoff round.

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I actually do think Kadri is moveable. 

but I also don’t think he has any interest in leaving and with a full NMC he’s got the say in it. 

He would probably only waive to go to COL and TOR since he never wanted to leave those two teams in the first place.  As long as the Flames don't ask for much in return then I think Kadri can be moved.

If you think about it, Kadri signed here as UFA.  He is literally found money.  Just take whatever back even it it's 3rd and 4th round picks or whatever.

Kadri is still a solid player in the short term.  He's taken Zary and Pospisil under his wing and both are trending well.  But the long term... he will be 36/37 the final two years of his contract and could pose a problem if the Flames are to be competitive by then.

Biggest positive to moving him is opening up a Center spot to play Zary and/or Pospisil at Center.

8 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

He would probably only waive to go to COL and TOR since he never wanted to leave those two teams in the first place.  As long as the Flames don't ask for much in return then I think Kadri can be moved.

If you think about it, Kadri signed here as UFA.  He is literally found money.  Just take whatever back even it it's 3rd and 4th round picks or whatever.

Kadri is still a solid player in the short term.  He's taken Zary and Pospisil under his wing and both are trending well.  But the long term... he will be 36/37 the final two years of his contract and could pose a problem if the Flames are to be competitive by then.

Biggest positive to moving him is opening up a Center spot to play Zary and/or Pospisil at Center.

I actually don’t think he would go back to Colorado but even if he did it’s irrelevant I think. Neither one of those teams has a glaring need for him and neither can fit him under the cap. 

they’d make you eat a pile of the cap which would not make sense to me for the flames to entertain. 

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

I think Mangiapane is gone sooner than later.  Ideally they make a deal early so they can audition players in the top 6 to replace him.  I don't see the value of him continuing to play with Backlund.  Haven't seen him raise his game anywhere else.  

To me, the return doesn't matter that much.  A shame we didn't trade him after the 35 goal season.  But if we could trade him to a team lacking wingers, maybe we get a prospect or mid pick for him.  Put some conditions to improve the pick, like 25 goals or team wins a playoff round.

I dunno. Conroy said Mangiapane needs to take a bigger leadership role in the locker room. I get he's not tipping his hand in trade talks publicly, but it's what he said in a previous interview during the post Markstrom trade talks 

41 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I dunno. Conroy said Mangiapane needs to take a bigger leadership role in the locker room. I get he's not tipping his hand in trade talks publicly, but it's what he said in a previous interview during the post Markstrom trade talks 

Keep in mind he also poured cold water on all the Markstrom talks the day before the trade was finalized.  The main difference is the market for Markstrom existed, I don't think it is there right now for Mangiapane. I honestly do not expect anything from now until after free agency starts regarding Mang and could definitely see the scenario where he is on the team, and that's where I think the leadership comes into play will he take a page from Tanev and Hanifin and just focus on the next game or will he make it a distraction like Zadorov.  A more telling sign if the team actually feels he is part of the leadership for the future will be if there are any extension talks in the summer.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

That’s a prospect that I would be calling about if I was Calgary. The worrying part is that the Jets are probably looking to move him because he doesn’t want to sign.

I wouldn’t, doesn’t pass the smell test.

McGroarty is a very good prospect. If Winnipeg can't sign him, Calgary probably can't either. Unless it's opportunity he's looking for. Tons of that in YYC. 

Jets should look at a deal like Drysdale for Gauthier. Maybe not quite as high profile. McGroarty for Musty (SJ) or Ritchie (COL).

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

McGroarty is a very good prospect. If Winnipeg can't sign him, Calgary probably can't either. Unless it's opportunity he's looking for. Tons of that in YYC. 

Jets should look at a deal like Drysdale for Gauthier. Maybe not quite as high profile. McGroarty for Musty (SJ) or Ritchie (COL).

I wonder if Anaheim strikes again and trades Zegras to the Jets for McGroarty. Jets could use a 2nd line center and Zegras would benefit from playing behind Shiefelle.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I wonder if Anaheim strikes again and trades Zegras to the Jets for McGroarty. Jets could use a 2nd line center and Zegras would benefit from playing behind Shiefelle.

That would be a really interesting deal.

Is McGroarty really going to play two more years at Michigaan? He's already too good for college hockey. Really doubt the NIL for Michigan hockey is more lucrative than an ELC. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Wolvernines are also losing Brindley, Casey, Nazar, Duke, Warren. All drafted players, they're probably not as strong next year.

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That would be a really interesting deal.

Is McGroarty really going to play two more years at Michigaan? He's already too good for college hockey. Really doubt the NIL for Michigan hockey is more lucrative than an ELC. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The Wolvernines are also losing Brindley, Casey, Nazar, Duke, Warren. All drafted players, they're probably not as strong next year.

Sounds like he wants guaranteed playing time in the NHL next year and the Jets aren’t willing to give him that guarantee.

I mean Calgary could pretty much give him that guarantee. I think you have to start the conversation with Andersson though to get the Jets interested.

This is a great watch if you have the 30 min. Covers a lot of ground ..

Some quick highlights:

Markstrom was never asked to waive at the deadline .. a deal was never as close as reported,  and also " If any of the rumored deals were on the table he'd have done them in a heartbeat 

Other teams were in on Markstrom but all deals were similar and Bahl was the best player being included ..so NJ got it 

Vladar is not a guarantee to be ready for the season ..so a vet signing is very possible 

He sees a big opportunity at pick movement at this draft ..moreso than other years .. suggests a strong possibility of moving up from 28 

Both sides want Kyllington to be on the team..just a matter of the usual term and $ being discussed 

Kuzmenko and yegor have both expressed interest in staying in Calgary ..but obviously can't have actual contract discussion until July 1 

He's not keen on 7 year deals on July 1, but more than open to overpays on 2-4 yr deals .. players who can help the team as well as "grow the culture " 

Just because a player wants to play a position , they'll play where they play the best.. Huska is more than open to seeing what he has but in the end it will be where they play the best.  References his own st Louis experience where Quenneville told him he  can be a 3rd line checker on the blues or go play center on the top line in the AHL 

34 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Sounds like he wants guaranteed playing time in the NHL next year and the Jets aren’t willing to give him that guarantee.

I mean Calgary could pretty much give him that guarantee. I think you have to start the conversation with Andersson though to get the Jets interested.

That’s something worth exploring at the TDL. I think that’s the time to make an Andersson move. Jets get two playoff runs out of him.

14 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Oh I agree with all of this, but I think some of them being in the latter part of their careers, already have cashed in, I can’t see why they would want to stay if they could chase a cup…I say Cgy should happily accommodate them.  Returns may not be great but low

returns can be packaged up for a better return later and more importantly, sends a strong message that the team respects their players which will help attract player later when they become competitive again.

personally, I think Conroy should be asking these players hey, Coleman we don’t want to trade you but if we do we’d like to send you back home to Dal to chase a cup with your home team…if we can’t get a good deal are you ok staying here? And if not, what other teams would you like to go to? We will

do our best to accommodate, when you signed here we were on the verge of contending…that’s clearly not the case now so, this is the year we accommodate our older players wishes…if not and your happy to stay we are happy to keep you, you have been a trooper for our team and we appreciate it so the choice is yours…same for Hubie, Kadri and Weegar…Manji and Anderson are still young enough to let smart asset management dictate and are both gonna be under 30 UFA’s in a few years while I’d favour moving Manji I’d also favour keeping Anderson as a young veteran D 

6 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I wonder if Kadri would

want to go to Ott, close to his home

town and has young players he can help…they are also probably a lot closer to contending…?

17 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Oh I agree with all of this, but I think some of them being in the latter part of their careers, already have cashed in, I can’t see why they would want to stay if they could chase a cup…I say Cgy should happily accommodate them.  Returns may not be great but low

returns can be packaged up for a better return later and more importantly, sends a strong message that the team respects their players which will help attract player later when they become competitive again 

I think Conny is already setting a great example of if a player prefers to be somewhere else he will accomodate them.. whether it's a Zadorov who flat out demands it or its a Markstrom who was willing to stay or go ..anyone still here has told management at least they want to be here .they've accepted the 3 year project . 

52 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I wonder if Kadri would

want to go to Ott, close to his home

town and has young players he can help…they are also probably a lot closer to contending…?

wonder if Toronto would take him back. 

Mangiapane and Kadri for Marner? Probably too little for Marner? They get two top6 players to create depth. 

Marner is a stopgap, TDL trade? Just throwing crap out there. 

Ok so was doing a little looking around and noticed there are a lot of teams without a first rounder this year:

WPG

TBL

PIT

Edm

VCR

FLA

BOS

I’m kinda wondering if Conroy could leverage the 28th pick for a top prospect nearly NHL ready from any of these teams? Do any of these teams have anyone worth trading the 28th for?

I wish Col didn’t have a pick this year, could have leveraged the 28th for a package to land Ritchie..if at all possible Ritchie is definitely a guy Conroy should be going hard after.

anyway, back to reality, anyone have any thoughts on possible targets with the teams

listed above that would be worth moving the 28th pick for? Clearly Ctr and D are going to be the top targets.