Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

Just now, travel_dude said:

Stupid, we aren't even guaranteed to have their pick next year if they trade it.  No wonder it took so long, the NHL was laughing too hard.  

looks like even more conditions... laughing harder...

Just now, robrob74 said:

You'd think they'd have gotten more for retaining? Oh well, up to the Flames now for getting value at the various drafts.

Short term retention like this doesn't carry much value. Year over year retention does

50% of Hanifin's salary is worth approximately a 4th round pick

• Like 1

Well crapy return, got pinched by Hanifin and his agent but at least it’s more than what we got for Gaudreau…

and Conroy did get some

draft capital, and some young guys…prospects seem hard to pry way this year, bad economy seems

to filter into hockey too, everyone want something for nothing, least we got a little something

and as someone else Said, now we are in a different situation where we can trade but don’t need to trade…Also we have cleared out a fair bit of BT’s hand on this team less Kadri, Hubie and Weegar…not all of which we should be looking to unload or can but there is room for Conroy to put his stamp on this team…a few steps back…if he lands a solid D in the draft and Tij I think things will look good and if a few of the prospects we picked up pan out Eve if only 1 then we could see a god team in 2-3 years

So is Conny done or are there other deals to be made? 

maybe we take on players to make room for other teams? Depends on contract numbers and cap space, but could we act as a cap dump to gain a few more picks?

Just now, robrob74 said:

Amy word on a Kylington extension? Is he trade able if they can't extend by Friday?

I doubt he has any trade value considering he's just come back to the NHL.  Wouldn't want to trade him for the sake of trading him if he's only going to get us a 5th round pick or something.  Just extend for 1-year on a "prove it" contract and go from there.

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

Well crapy return, got pinched by Hanifin and his agent but at least it’s more than what we got for Gaudreau…

and Conroy did get some

draft capital, and some young guys…prospects seem hard to pry way this year, bad economy seems

to filter into hockey too, everyone want something for nothing, least we got a little something

and as someone else Said, now we are in a different situation where we can trade but don’t need to trade…Also we have cleared out a fair bit of BT’s hand on this team less Kadri, Hubie and Weegar…not all of which we should be looking to unload or can but there is room for Conroy to put his stamp on this team…a few steps back…if he lands a solid D in the draft and Tij I think things will look good and if a few of the prospects we picked up pan out Eve if only 1 then we could see a god team in 2-3 years

very Iggy and Bouwmeester... better than Johnny for sure! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, robrob74 said:

Any word on a Kylington extension? Is he trade able if they can't extend by Friday?

He is tradable but I would not hold your breath he will be. 

think you'll see him back in Calgary on an extension shortly after the deadline. 

Just now, cross16 said:

He is tradable but I would not hold your breath he will be. 

think you'll see him back in Calgary on an extension shortly after the deadline. 

more just wondering if Conroy is done here.

Let's look at the positives ...

- The don't wanna be here crew is all gone 

- the deck is stacked against the Oilers

- hanifin flew to Tampa.. now he has to go to Vegas with the clothes in his suitcase..

- if you put all the assets acquired in a big pile together , as a whole it's all a pretty good return 

• Like 1

Okay, I am done with griping.  Sucky return on a top D available.

Either a rookie GM getting schooled.

Or nobody wanted to pay that much.

In essence we got more for Bennett.

Way more for Lindholm.

Better condition on the 3rd to 2nd rounder.

I will trade you a 1st rounder next year if I don't spend it elsewhere.

In hindsight, Vegas is holding the draft and wants to get the kudos on the draft floor round 1.

There's always something with this team

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Let's look at the positives ...

- The don't wanna be here crew is all gone 

- the deck is stacked against the Oilers

- hanifin flew to Tampa.. now he has to go to Vegas with the clothes in his suitcase..

- if you put all the assets acquired in a big pile together , as a whole it's all a pretty good return 

Hanifin having to fly to Florida thinking he’s gonna be staying there, only to be traded across the country is actually quite funny

Just now, robrob74 said:

Doesn't the deal also mean that Vegas can trade their pick next year too at that deadline? 

Nope. Reverts to Calgary if they don't move it by Saturday (and are not a bottom 10 team next year)

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

very Iggy and Bouwmeester... better than Johnny for sure! 

Ya i guess a couple things. 

1. Teams just reluctant to give a 1st for a rental these days unless it's a bonafide superstar.  Hanifin is not this.  He's a 2/3 on a stacked team and the whole NHL knew this.

2. LHS LD just isn't in high demand.  Every contender is loaded with those.  It's RHS RD that carries value.

I mean, if we want to cash in and sell high, then we need to put Weegar and Andersson on the market.  Markstrom with 2-years remaining after this one would sell for more than Hanifin.

This return reminds me of the Debrincat trade from the summer. It was underwhelming. Debrincat had a small list of teams he would go to.

Anyway, the fate of this trade comes down to whatever the Flames can do with these picks.  Nail them and it will look like the 2nd for Baertschi that turned into Andersson. Whiff and it’s the Iginla and Bouwmeester deals all over again.

• Like 2

Ok, so at worst the 1st rounder is for 2026 with a third (good chance at becoming a 2nd) and a 26 yo RSD with some NHL experience who is not necessarily going to wow you.

Not a great haul, but could have been worse I guess. 

Gotta wait and see any other moves. With adding a few almost ready D, gives more competition to see who steps up. Will it be Miromanov, Kuznetsov, Solovyov, Grushnikov, Poirier, Jurmo, Brzustowicz? Conroy has basically gone from 3 possible future D to 7 in short order.

Add Hanley and Pachal, both waiver pick ups signed for cheap the next 2 seasons and you now have the ability to walk away from or trade Gilbert and Osterle.

We have Kylington, Hanley, Gilbert, and Osterle shooting left.

Weegar, Andersson, Pachal, Miromanov shooting right.

We will have to see how everything shakes out. But I think there are still moves coming (possibly Gilbert, Mangiapane, Markstrom, maybe even Rooney). 

Starting to see the Flames loading up on picks as well. A few posters asked for the tear down and build through the draft, well here they are torn pretty well down (at least on D) with a few place holders and prospects added. Add to it the young forwards already stepping up this season, the re-tool / re-build seems well underway.

• Like 1

It's not a good return but I also don't think for a second Conroy turned down better offers. I mean the rumors I heard out of Tampa was a 2026 1st, Howard and a 3rd so I think the offers were on par. As i've said I just didn't expect a robust marketplace for Hanifin to begin with, and the combine that with the fact they the list of suitors was small it just doesn't set up for a good return. 

I think if you want to criticize anything here it's timing. I can't say for sure that Hanifin would have generated more in the summer but I do think you would have had a longer list of suitors. Ya perhaps you have to take on money but IMO this team should have been more aggressive shopping Hanifin in the summer and not waiting till the TDL when it's been pretty strongly indicated he wasn't going to stay. If you want to criticize anything I'd say criticize that. 

This is the asset management piece this club still needs to improve at.

2 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Could Vegas be bad in 2026? Might be a good long term incestment, like cross mentioned, could be a blessing in disguise.

I would say this, look at the Flames in March of 2022 and look at them now. Lots can change.

I don't think Vegas will be a bottom ten team next year, so it's very likely the Flames will be getting the 2025 pick. Hopefully they miss the playoffs though haha.