Realistic (and unrealistic) Trades - 2024 Edition

travel_dude

9 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

So did Ruff ..LOL

Start of the season yes.

but GM contracts tend to be longer and pricier so firing a coach less than a year is much less expensive then a GM 2 months after being re upped. 

Also far less detrimental to fire a coach then a GM

Needed defensive depth, so claiming Hanley makes sense. Hanley makes league minimum and is signed for next year. He is 32, so I am guessing this is strictly a depth pick up.

• Like 1

Just now, JTech780 said:

Needed defensive depth, so claiming Hanley makes sense. Going to be without Pospisil for a few games and Zary is hurt so why not claim Phillips.

I get the Hanley claim, which just about signals the end of Hanifn here.

Phillips, I'm not so sure about.

MEP is yet to get a callup.

Coronato getting pushed to the AHL for Phillips is odd.

As it was we had Duehr and Hunt playing as the 11 & 12 F.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Two different reports of waiver claims:

One says Phillips, the opther says Hanley.

Could be both.

Yikes about the Phillips experiment.

its a good life to be a hockey player. Nice to have a few stops, Wash, Pitts, and back to Calgary.... he probably goes to Europe in summer , pretty cool! I get it isn't the plan, but not bad of a consultation.

edit: saw that he was claimed by Washington...

With Andersson, Weegar and Pachal as the only defensemen signed for next year it makes sense to add some veteran depth to what is most likely going to be a younger defensive core next year. I would guess that Kylington is going to get an extension soon. That leaves a spot in the top 4 and a spot on the bottom pairing.

10 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

With Andersson, Weegar and Pachal as the only defensemen signed for next year it makes sense to add some veteran depth to what is most likely going to be a younger defensive core next year. I would guess that Kylington is going to get an extension soon. That leaves a spot in the top 4 and a spot on the bottom pairing.

Considering our depth, Pachal is actually better suited right now for the top 4.

If we get another D in trade, we still have a young bottom pair.

Oesterle hasn't done enough to get an extension.

For the present, Hanley would be a good idea to pair with Gilbert or Solo.

Not a vet with a ton of NHL games, but a vet that played in a good D structure.

EDIT - I should have said not a ton in the last 5 years, but still 186 to date.

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Needed defensive depth, so claiming Hanley makes sense. Hanley makes league minimum and is signed for next year. He is 32, so I am guessing this is strictly a depth pick up.

cool..l saw him on waivers and thought he might make some sense 

actually was just wondering too how Psyk was doing in the A.. he might be close to a callup option too 

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Which is great if you look at a career 6-8 older dmen. Guys named Lidstrom and Weber etc, nobody expected up-and-coming HOFers. I mentioned Walman, but Forsling, Montour, even Weegar and many others. They do grow on trees, but it's all about right time, right place. We've never really afforded that on our roster. It's exciting to see that we have that now. You should be happy. Drafting great players is one thing, but you need roster spots with flexible cap. Conroy's moving to do that. Had to. BT had us locked in at max cap. If you want change, he's making great adjustments to do that. Roster flux, wiggle out of cap hell. I like what he's doing.

Do you just openly hyperbole the worst possible outcomes in your everyday life too?lol

I think that he's going about it the right way. It's going to take time and patience.

You can't turn lead into gold though.  The players who step up to the opportunity usually have the pedigree in them from the beginning.  I'm excited for Kylington because this is his time to shine.  I want to see him anchor the second pairing himself and show us he belongs.

Same with Solovyov and Kuznetsov.  I'd like to see both of them get ice time and get challenged.  We need to see what we've got. 

Playing Oesterle big minutes is just playing to lose.

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Sad to see this.

It was time to see what Kylington, Solovyov and Kuznetsov was made of.  Not time to block them from the NHL with a career 5/6/7 veteran.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Just give the Flames Mercer for Markstrom and you'll feel better. 

I'll take the trade straight up.  No retention on either side.  No picks coming back. 

Mercer is legit.  Every time he gets promoted to the NJ top lines, he's scored and produced.  Then for whatever reason, they bump him back down the depth charts.  He can play in the Flames top 6 immediately and I think he'll put up good numbers.  Long term, he's going to be one of the league's best two-way players.

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sad to see this.

It was time to see what Kylington, Solovyov and Kuznetsov was made of.  Not time to block them from the NHL with a career 5/6/7 veteran.

He doesn't block Kylington, since he's generally a 12-13 minute guy.

He blocks (hopefully) Oesterle.

Right now, Oesterle and Gilbert are blocking Kuz and Solo.

When Hanifin goes, we can't have Solo and Kuz playing as a pair.

Need a vet to show them the ropes.

And unfortunately that's likely next season when Oesterle is gone.

Just now, travel_dude said:

He doesn't block Kylington, since he's generally a 12-13 minute guy.

He blocks (hopefully) Oesterle.

Right now, Oesterle and Gilbert are blocking Kuz and Solo.

When Hanifin goes, we can't have Solo and Kuz playing as a pair.

Need a vet to show them the ropes.

And unfortunately that's likely next season when Oesterle is gone.

Ideally we'd want a rookie paired with a vet to bring them along.  Go with,

Kylington - Weegar

Solovyov - Andersson

Kuznetsov - Gilbert

When Hanifin goes, let's get real.  The season is over.  Bring up the kids and see what we've got.  Dangle the carrot.  Give them a taste.  Let them experience what it takes to stick in the NHL, etc, etc.  The last thing we want to see is,

Kylington - Weegar

Oesterle - Andersson

Hanley - Gilbert

Why are we still trying to make the playoffs?  Just play the kids so they get ready for next season.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Wow, how does 20 teams not immediately pick up the phone and ask about Holtz's availability in a trade?

I don't think they need to pick up the phone. I'm not sure this rant comes as a surprise to them. 

I think Holtz's name has been out there for a while. Why i'm pretty confident in thinking he was the offer for Markstrom. 

21 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Sad to see this.

I think you are going to see that with Kylington. He'll be a staple in the top 4 once Hanifin is gone

Kylington - Andersson

?????  - Weegar

???? - Pachal

So you've got 2 open spots and Oesterle, Hanley and Gilbert plus guys on the AHL. 

But also keep in mind Solovyov is hurt, they just acquired Grushnikov and Kuznetsov  needs to play. 

There is still a spot for them when ready but I think the depth was really needed. Also as Jtech pointed out he is under contract next year where Gilbert and Oesterle are not. This gives them flexibility without having to rush young dmen. 

Interesting picking up Hanley from Dallas. Essentially another roster player added to the Tanev trade. Not a big difference maker, but not bad for 6/7 D. Conroy basically loading up on options shotgun style.

Pachal has been a bit of a bright spot, maybe Hanley or Grushnikov will shine a bit as well.

This also opens further trade options. Gilbert and Osterle both UFA after this season. Osterle not likely getting any return, but Gilbert adds a little toughness at least. Maybe trade him as a cheap, toughness add to a competitive team that needs it for a late pick. Nothing earth shattering, but an extra pick never hurts.

Hanley as a free pick up could always be waived, and no big loss if he is claimed.

Options are a good thing, especially for league minimum essentially.

9 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

I, maybe Hanley or Grushnikov will shine a bit as well.

TBH, the last trade made me envision a future pair of Grushnikov and that Brz kid from the Vancouver trade .. good offset of top offense and top defense ..much like a Tanev / Kyllington pair 

39 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

You can't turn lead into gold though.  The players who step up to the opportunity usually have the pedigree in them from the beginning.  I'm excited for Kylington because this is his time to shine.  I want to see him anchor the second pairing himself and show us he belongs.

Same with Solovyov and Kuznetsov.  I'd like to see both of them get ice time and get challenged.  We need to see what we've got. 

Playing Oesterle big minutes is just playing to lose.

I find it weird that you of all people don't get excited about that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sak22 said:

I find it weird that you of all people don't get excited about that.

Right ?  lets find how good Dansk really is too... teach Hubie and Kuzmenko how to kill penalties at the same time :)

• Like 1