2024 Trade Deadline

Thebrewcrew

I've noticed the Trade Suggestions thread disappeared. Maybe it was time for a new thread anyway.

Conroy has and will continue to be busy.

Rumour Report: Flames want a second-round pick for Chris Tanev, will Noah Hanifin re-sign, and more! - FlamesNation

It feels like the next move will be Tanev. Right now, my guess would be a 2nd and 4th for Tanev. Maybe a 3rd instead of the 4th. Ottawa has been continually linked to Tanev. If Conroy could pit both Ontario teams against one another, maybe he could get a first. Ottawa has Boston's as well, that's a late first. Toronto pretty much has to move the 1st as they have no 2nd until 2027. 

If Hanifin moves, I think the ask will be a 1st, player, prospect. Maybe Conroy gets an extra piece or two in return.

I don't think they entertain a Markstrom deal right now. Feels like a summer move.

Thanks TBC. Fingers crossed we can pry a first for Tanev. Some of the D in the past that returned a first are more questionable (imo) than Tanev. Plus he’s an RD! 

I’d like to see that deal for Hanifin. 

If Tanev gets traded relatively soon and/or before deadline day, I think Markstrom will consider moving this season. 

With Lindy and Mony both off the market at C, I wonder if Colorado does give some serious thought to reuniting with Kadri. Retaining $1M/year would NOT be a significant obstacle for a “retooling” team like the flames with the cap continuing to go up. 

2 of those prospects that really stand out to me are Beecher and Sapovaliv. Bigger, strong centres.

Based on the link from brewcrew, Sapovaliv sounds like he could be a good top 6, possible benefit for Huberdeau and either Kuzmenko or Sharangovich. Apparently likes to stand in front of the net, hard to clear out, which should give more space to his line mates.

Beecher is more of a middle or bottom  6, but again a big C. Good at face offs and physical. If the goal is to use the 4th line to bring in young talent, this could bode well for Beecher.

Other young centres that would be interesting for me:

Mercer (NJ)

Berniers (Sea)

MacTavish (ANA)

Johnstone (DAL)

Any others are even less likely than those listed above.

Beecher is probably the type of piece the Flames would receive if they dealt Hanifin to Boston.

I’m not that high on him. He offers very little offensive punch. Going back to 17/18 season, the highest point total he’s had at any level is 25pts. If he maxes out his potential you are talking about a bottom six player.

Unless you can get Lysell or Lohrei, Boston isn’t my favourite trade partner.

19 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Should change that article from 10 Prospects on the move to 7 players who need a change of scenery. Most of that list I wouldn't consider prospects nor do they make for good trade targets. 

Askarov is the outlier and I don't think Nashville is going to move him. 

In addition to that article above, Ryan Pike wrote an article specific to the Flames and what targets they may be after at center. https://flamesnation.ca/news/6-young-centres-the-calgary-flames-should-consider-acquiring?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Acquiring a center is likely going to be high on Conroy's priority list and if the Flames trade Hanifin and/or Tanev it won't shock me at all if they take some of these assets (including the first round picks) and look to acquire a player. 

The other name I wonder about is Morgan Frost. Things seem to be settling between him and Torts so I think it's more likely he stays but perhaps that rocky start to the season has him second guessing. He'd be a great add IMO. 

I wonder about Peyton Krebs too. He's starting to fall down the depth chart and they have to sign Mittelstadt in the offseason. If they do that's Tage Thompson, cozens and Middelstadt all locked up to big tickets so where does Krebs fit? I'm not a big fan but I think he plays in the this league for a while.

but not easy to get young centers as teams don't tend to give up quickly so i'm not going to be that optimistic they can find one. 

I actually wonder what it would cost to get Shane Wright out of Seattle ?..  he seems like a guy who just may be out of favor with his current team that a change of scenery and a top job for the taking could wake up..

He seemed to need an attitude adjustment and a dose of humility coming out of the draft which I'm sure by now must have registered .. but to Seattle and their fans he must be looking like a bust they could be willing to move based on who's ahead of him on the chart now 

Kid obviously has talent to get here on the path he did ..he's been a top star at every level except pro ..   use Hanifin as a centerpiece to get them to sell low 

8 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

I actually wonder what it would cost to get Shane Wright out of Seattle ?..  he seems like a guy who just may be out of favor with his current team that a change of scenery and a top job for the taking could wake up..

He seemed to need an attitude adjustment and a dose of humility coming out of the draft which I'm sure by now must have registered .. but to Seattle and their fans he must be looking like a bust they could be willing to move based on who's ahead of him on the chart now 

Kid obviously has talent to get here on the path he did ..he's been a top star at every level except pro ..   use Hanifin as a centerpiece to get them to sell low 

Team has no reason to really, its year 1 of his ELC.  Why trade him because of expectations.  Jack Hughes didn't exactly wow in his first 2 pro seasons, I don't think Seattle putting him in a place where he'd have more success is the worst thing in the world, not everyone takes the league by storm by the age of 20, people here aren't giving up on Coronato so easily, why do we feel other teams are in a different boat with prospects with higher upside.

11 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Team has no reason to really, its year 1 of his ELC.  Why trade him because of expectations.  Jack Hughes didn't exactly wow in his first 2 pro seasons, I don't think Seattle putting him in a place where he'd have more success is the worst thing in the world, not everyone takes the league by storm by the age of 20, people here aren't giving up on Coronato so easily, why do we feel other teams are in a different boat with prospects with higher upside.

Not saying they're shopping him, but they certainly might listen to offers.. he's not overtaking their top 2 centers anytime soon..

Him and Coronato are different .. coronato has never played this long a season..it's understandable he needs to get used to the pro game and grind ..

Wright was billed as the next borderline generational talent..  he slid in the draft..had to be a reason.. had a chip on his shoulder ..got sent back .then sent down.. wouldn't surprise me if he wants out himself ..

Seattle sees itself as a serious playoff team .. package Hanfin and Tanev, or maybe mangiapane..do some magic with picks and prospects ..I think they'd listen 

18 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

Not saying they're shopping him, but they certainly might listen to offers.. he's not overtaking their top 2 centers anytime soon..

Him and Coronato are different .. coronato has never played this long a season..it's understandable he needs to get used to the pro game and grind ..

Wright was billed as the next borderline generational talent..  he slid in the draft..had to be a reason.. had a chip on his shoulder ..got sent back .then sent down.. wouldn't surprise me if he wants out himself ..

Seattle sees itself as a serious playoff team .. package Hanfin and Tanev, or maybe mangiapane..do some magic with picks and prospects ..I think they'd listen 

And if he wants out you let him pout and tell him the benefits of playing in Europe.  As I said with Jiricek in the other thread, really bad precedent if we are letting kids ask for trades in year 2 and teams continue to give in.  If that's the attitude he has is that a player you want?  You think if he had reasons for his draft day slide his attitude would improve if he gets what he wants that early in his career.  Maybe Coronato was a bad example, but not many were wanting to trade Bennett when he didn't light it up in his ELC.

They are 3 points up on the Flames with an extra game played.  Don't see them in sacrificing the future just to get in.

20 minutes ago, sak22 said:

And if he wants out you let him pout and tell him the benefits of playing in Europe.  As I said with Jiricek in the other thread, really bad precedent if we are letting kids ask for trades in year 2 and teams continue to give in.  If that's the attitude he has is that a player you want?  You think if he had reasons for his draft day slide his attitude would improve if he gets what he wants that early in his career.  Maybe Coronato was a bad example, but not many were wanting to trade Bennett when he didn't light it up in his ELC.

They are 3 points up on the Flames with an extra game played.  Don't see them in sacrificing the future just to get in.

ya, I don't want to trade for a player like that. Dubois only plays when he feels it, same with Laine. Duchesne seems to have played a bit better but still wasn't a player I'd want. 

5 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

https://www.nhl.com/news/calgary-flames-move-forward-after-lindholm-trade-to-canucks

could be harder to move Markstrom. He was in Cancun with Backlund and they celebrated Markstrom's birthday with each others families. Cool!

Wasn't Lindholm also in Cancun and on his way back to go to the ASG?

I would have assumed that he was spending time with Markstrom as well, just needed to leave early.

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Wasn't Lindholm also in Cancun and on his way back to go to the ASG?

I would have assumed that he was spending time with Markstrom as well, just needed to leave early.

Ya, but maybe Backlund and Markstrom's families were both there after he left when they heard the news? I just see they said they were in Cancun at the time of the announcement. 

59 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Ya, but maybe Backlund and Markstrom's families were both there after he left when they heard the news? I just see they said they were in Cancun at the time of the announcement. 

Lindholm was traveling when he heard, so I think it was after he had left (obviously).

I would wonder about Hanifin to LA.

I think there's a high level of urgency there. They made the coaching change already. Point percentage wise, they should make the playoffs.

Two players I would target are Kaliyev and Turcotte. Both seem like change of scenery candidates. Kaliyev requires waivers now, Turcotte will soon too.

Vegas might make some sense too. Although the pieces Vegas would want to part with are in junior. A bit further away.

24 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting context around potential trade deadline returns and how deals maybe should be structured/pursued 

It isn't impossible to hit on a star, but I think the rebuilders see this as one of the safest ways of getting a star, meaning more likely than not. Benny was a 4th overall, not a star, but a decent NHLer. But we see that teams need that elite talent to win cups. 

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Interesting context around potential trade deadline returns and how deals maybe should be structured/pursued 

Weird how round 6 is better than round 5.  I remember hearing about the data and how it was justified by Tampa's decisions to trade picks lately (still think some bad decisions like Jeanot) for players with good cost control to surround with their core, not a bad strategy but not one I would go with to their extent.

Just really shows how hard it is to draft, we talk about being just top 5 and 2-5 is only a 34% chance of being a star, and the pick from Vancouver is close to a 50/50 on just playing 200 games.  I didn't think odds were great but this shows worse than even I thought.

• Like 1

TSN Insider trading notes on Flames:

-Hanifin's agents expected to meet with Flames in next few days to give final answer on whether or not he is willing to re sign or if he will leave

-If he chooses to leave, expectation is Flames will trade him

- According to Lebrun, Tanev might be the blocker on the D market. Teams don't want to proceed until they know both the availability of Tanev and the price tag. 

- Flames price on Tanev is a 2nd plus another asset. Lebrun says Leafs are interested but don't have a 2nd round for the next 3 years so there price is a 1st. He isn't sure if Treliving will pay it. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-flames-uncertain-hanifin-situation-coming-to-a-h~2861904 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

TSN Insider trading notes on Flames:

-Hanifin expected to meet with Flames in next few days to give final answer on whether or not he is willing to re sign or if he will leave

-If he chooses to leave, expectation is Flames will trade him

- According to Lebrun, Tanev might be the blocker on the D market. Teams don't want to proceed until they know both the availability of Tanev and the price tag. 

- Flames price on Tanev is a 2nd plus another asset. Lebrun says Leafs are interested but don't have a 2nd round for the next 3 years so there price is a 1st. He isn't sure if Treliving will pay it. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-trading-flames-uncertain-hanifin-situation-coming-to-a-h~2861904 

Would Tanev and a 2nd or a 3rd for the Leaf's First make sense? Wait that seems like giving up too much? Maybe they offer a decent prospect or player playing now? 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Would Tanev and a 2nd or a 3rd for the Leaf's First make sense? Wait that seems like giving up too much? Maybe they offer a decent prospect or player playing now? 

I wouldn't do that if I were the Flames. I'd rather net up a pick as opposed to just move up in the draft even if means getting a 2nd vs a first. Maybe they do but the problem there is they need their young players/prospects, and they don't have a lot of depth to deal from there. 

And the ones they'd be willing to move i'm not sure the Flames have a lot of interest in. It's just not a great trading scenario unless the Leafs give up that 1st. 

43 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I have a problem dealing with Toronto.  I would want a minimum of a 2nd in any deal, but they don't have any this year.

Next year is worse and that's pushing us out too far.

As well, I can't see anyone from their prospect pool I really want.

Maybe to Nick Robertson, just because of the name, but I doubt they consider moving him.

Topi Niemela another maybe.  RD in the AHL, might be something to look at.

More for the future than now.