Half way through the season report card, but a bit different this time.

DirtyDeeds

Instead of taking the roster and making a list for everyone to grade each players performance lets simplify it a bit........

Please grade   "1 being the worst"  and  "5 being the best".

New Managements Performance [This would be mostly the Coach and General Manager]

Overall teams Performance.

Offense Performance

Defense Performance

Goaltending Performance

After grading, make your comments and be a bit more specific. Where the area is needing improvement, or the area that was better than you thought it would be.

What you would change to attain the goal of making the playoffs.

Finally:

Are we better than last year? or

Are we worse off.

Are we pointed in the right direction  or 

Are we sliding off the map of relevance?

Lastly has your fandom for the Flames changed this year or from the start of the year?

New Managements Performance [This would be mostly the Coach and General Manager] - 5 - Still early to judge new guys on the job, but getting some of the young guys in the lineup and actually giving them chances and some leash is something to see them back their word

Overall teams Performance. - 1 - Teams regressed despite better goaltending, expectations weren't that high but still enough that they should be in better WC contention, not really out of it I guess but .500 never gets it done

Offense Performance - 2 - Middle of the league isn't a horrible place to be, the depth in scoring can be complimented but the lack of scoring from the expected guys Huberdeau and Lindholm is a disappointment.  Add in a horrendous PP and the only 1 player who has scored in 4 shootouts.

Defense Performance - 3 - Not horrible, I don't have problems with the top 4 they are what they are at this point, can be said about the bottom 2 I wouldn't expect Gilbert and DeSimone to play as much as they have and I would rather have better options, not going to blame the season on them, they are just not full time NHLers

Goaltending Performance - 4 - I feel I could flip all of 2-4 but recency bias with post injury Markstrom puts it over the top.  Still not a big Vladar guy but he's had his moments and has been better the last month or so, and Wolf was adequate when called upon.

Where the area is needing improvement, or the area that was better than you thought it would be.

- The PP, I liked the Savard hire, was hoping Huberdeau would regain his confidence.  I don't know if anything was better than I thought, but I guess I would say I didn't expect Zary to have the success he's had as quick, I've always liked him as a player but I did expect someone who would maybe need a few games to adjust and then get better after 20-30 games.

- Nothing, sell the UFA's they can't sign and see how it goes.

Are we worse off.

-Better in that we are finding out what we have in the youth, overall is still to be determined.

Are we pointed in the right direction  or 

Are we sliding off the map of relevance?

-Can't say now, will have a better understanding in 2 months and an even better one in 7 months.

I think that the culture of the team has started to become salvaged. The biggest worry was that it was going to be miserable to play in Calgary, and players wanting out, and not working hard. 

It sounds like a lot of that has been addressed, and players are working hard most games. 

New Managements Performance [This would be mostly the Coach and General Manager]

GM - 4. They are acting on their message. Acquired some picks, got younger and continue to play young players. Only reason this isn't a 5 is I wish there was a clearer and more unanimous direction.

Coach - 2. I didn't have a lot of hopes for Huska and so far he hasn't proven me wrong. I don't thikn he's cut out to be a NHL head coach

3. I think they are playing below where they should but it's only by a little bit. Felt lke this team was going to be a playoff bubble team but i did think they'd play with a bit more fire early on trying to prove something. 

Offense Performance

2. I was going to go 3 but the PP makes this a 2. I thought there would be more creativity to their offense and there really isn't. Their PP is awful. Little movement, little creativity and i don't see what they are trying to accomplish. 

Defense Performance

As a core/players I'd probably go 4. I think the vast majority of their D core is playing as well as it could. 

In terms of team Defense, 3. They are not as good and as consistent here as I think they should be, mostly due to systems. 

Goaltending Performance

4. Markstrom has been a 5 but everyone else has been a 2 or 3. 

After grading, make your comments and be a bit more specific. Where the area is needing improvement, or the area that was better than you thought it would be.

For me this ship has sailed. They just aren't good enough.

Finally:

Are we worse off.

IMO they are the same. The only thing that may make me lean worse is Huberdeau didn't bounce back at all. I wasn't expecting a major one but to have none, and to actually perform worse, is a little worrisome (albeit he's playing better lately)

I don't think a team every slides of the map but I don't think the Flames are heading in the right direction. I think they are heading towards a long stay in the mushy middle and basically are going to be the next Minnistota Wild. I think they'll be a little more intentional about adding picks, which is nice, but unless they get a steal i'm not sure what is going to break this pattern.

Lastly has your fandom for the Flames changed this year or from the start of the year?

Unchanged as i've felt this way for a while now. I do acknowledge the organization is showing more commitment to it's season ticket holders and fans and they are working to create a better atmosphere/feeling about the team. 

but on ice this has been trending down since Tkachuk/Gaudreau left. 

I have an old Stanley thermos. You pour your Irish coffee in the accompanying screw-on cover cup. That counts, yeah?

It's a great thermos, really. I've had it forever. I might have won it in a midget tourney where I didn't give up a goal, not even in warm-ups. Can't remember if that's real or just a dream that I had. I'm pretty sure it's real.🙈🙉🙊

GM - 4.   Acquired some picks, got younger and continue to play young players.  (spot on Cross!)   Think Conroy has been patient.  Like that he has started to keep a bit quieter which must be hard for Connie!   Nonis and Maloney in the back ground helping?

Coach - 3.  Middle of the road for me.   I like his tone in the media, some of the stuff (like the Backlund game 249 stuff, calling Dube and earlier Mangiapane out but backs players up aswell)  Good to see he is willing to mix lines up late game.   Is he good enough as an NHL coach?  Not sure I am qualified to say.  

2.  I think they are playing well below where they should be  . We knew we were going to a playoff bubble team.  The start to the season was abysmal.  They get to .500 and then fall back again like they fear winning.  The games in Philly and Chicago were dire.

Offense Performance

2. PP suckage.    Is that on the players or the coach?   Funnily enough last night Lindholm, Huberdeau, Kadri, Shargovich and was it Weeger?  That power play was more of what I was hoping for.     5on5 I think we have been pretty good and SH with have been great.

Defense Performance

3. Top 4. Pretty decent although Andersoon I think is having a down year.    Weeeger and Anderson as apair I like and Hanifin is looking good with Tanev.   Concenring is as soon as we lose Tanev to injury the D suddenly looks a lot worse.     I think Gilbert has been pretty solid.   I don't miss Big Z.    The 2 Russians on the farm look like they could be okay 5/6th and certainly better that Osterle.  I am not convinced with DeSimone yet.

Goaltending Performance

5. Markstrom,  Vladar 2, Wolf 2. 

Improvements

I am concerned about Tanev injury and feel we nned another shut down D like him.

PP has got to start clicking.  This could go a long way to getting us in the playoffs.

Things to be cheerful about

Apparently we have one of the easiest 2nd half schedule

Kylington would help the defence

Corranto is learning how to be a pro and doing well in the AHL

Pelltier gives us options in the top 6.

Huberdeau is starting to look like a point per game player again.

We seem to have finally 3 relatively solid lines with Pelltier and Corranto to come in.

Markstroms a beast.

Things to be worried about

Apparently we have one of the easiest 2nd half schedules!

Tanev going down injured

Finally:

Are we better than last year? or  Are we worse off.

Glass half full answer is we are better off.    Younger players getting opportunities, Markstrom looking solid again.  GM learning the ropes.

Cross has this spot on   "I think they are heading (continuing) towards a long stay in the mushy middle"   and unfortunately we have being saying it for many seasons.  The Ownership have got to let GM have full control and stop the mandate of making the playoffs every season.  Ideal time to do it now with a new stadium on the way, suck for a couple of years get some picks and ride the the wave of having a new stadium with some exciting kids in the lineup.

Always optmism gets my juices going for start of a new season.  It did not take long this year for one leg to fall off the bandwagon!  But I am still there, the kids installed some excitement.  It's great to see Zary play so well.  He may have fallen off a bit lately but thats to be expected.  Same with Posposil.  Love seeing the GM giving the farm team some motivation by bringing up players so that has kept me interested and I've only missed a couple of games.

We know they will try hard every night so that we finish 17th in the league.    My biggest concen is with ownership.

Oh and a couple of throwaways

Been pleasantly suprised with Greer/Gilbert

disapointed about Duher/Ruzicka/Dube and Hubes ( but I am hoping recency bias means he is going to be awesome in the 2nd half)

Please grade   "1 being the worst"  and  "5 being the best".

GM - 4 This is difficult to rate, since the only two things done are the waiver claim and the Sharky trade.  Connie has pushed the agenda to use merit to play here, not salary.  

Coach - 3  Not sure Huska should get this, but overall the changes made have helped them recover from a horrible start.  Somewhat.

2.5 - blech.  They are a 500 team that can perform like a 600 team then performs like a 300 team.

Offense Performance

3 - Would you be surprised to know that we are 14th in goals for?  3 goals less than EDM with their vaunted PP?

Defense Performance

2 - We are -3 in GF/GA differential.  It feels so much worse than that.  Own goals, turnovers.  

Goaltending Performance

3 - We win in spite of a lot of goals scored on us.  A lead is never safe.  Top 3 (Markstrom) in HDS% but letting others in easily.  We really only win games that we score 3 or more goals.  And a lot of comeback wins.

Needs work - breakouts, PP and zone defense.

Breakouts - this should be simple but it leads to turnovers.  We are not gaining advantage with crisp passes and zone entries.

PP - what is there to say.  Ras unwilling to shoot and predictable.  The PP looks stationary and slow.  Weegar seemed to help last night.

Zone defense - poor gap control, it seems like we expect someone else to deal with it.  

Not so much a change to make the playoffs as much a change to improve the team's future.  Dealing with the UFA needs to be addressed, not just keep them for a playoff run.  It may make sense to keep Tanev if we intend on re-signing him.  If we aren't, then he has to be moved.  Overall, any trades need to take account of current needs (younger roster player) and the state of the pipeline.  That may mean prospects and picks.  

The changes we can make without trades are looking at the D and 4th line and PP.  Oesterle playing was a nod to the dad's trip, which I respect.  But it's not a winning strategy.  We have similar prospects with some risk, but we are not just here to win based on a believed ranking, we have to evaluate what we have.  The 4th line looks okay some nights and bad others.  Last night it seemed like three different styles of players.  One fast, one skilled and one tricky.  Not many plays resulted in anything.  Pick a lane and use players that fit that lane.  The PP looked better last night, but the default is slow and predictable.  It seemed like the reason why it worked was that ARI forced us to move it quickly.  Other times we have been burned by this type of defense.

Finally:

Are we worse off.

Hard to say.  We are probably close to last year without any winning streaks longer than 3 games.  I don't know if we are closer to a playoff position this year than last year at this time.  It seems like we are about the same.  I'm a little concerned that we seem to only have trust in one goalie.  Scoring seems to be similar to last year in projected goals, but some guys really crushing it and some well below last year.  

We are really doing nothing much either way.  My concern is that we make reactionary trades to try to just make the playoffs.  Nothing I hear suggests that right now, but the pressure can mount to this aim.  

Not really.  More frustrated with team performance.  Watch every game as usual.  Get a little more down on them right now when they look like crap.  I stopped trashing individual players.

dont get the low score for the coach  - id give him 4.1/5 and perhaps with time and experience will be up there near the best in league as he has made some good line combos, given players more freedom to do what they are good at, given rookies a lot of ice time to develop,  and taking the forwards as an overall, he does not have the greatest bunch in the world to work with and has zero superstars right now - the only contra - I think he should give Walker Duehr a string of at least 8 games to get going again, as it seemed to me that in the last quarter of last season he was one of the better players on the ice for the Flames as the 4th line for the Flames is continuously being outplayed by the 4th line of opponents and it is hurting them (Rezitchka could use  about an 8 game rest

N0. 10 despite mainly some peripheral points and a couple of easy goals over, last 7 games and some dubious commentary by Greg and Ryan that he is back - I still rate him as a 1 - coach has done just about everything imaginable to get Huberdeau going except sending him to the minors for "conditioning" they do in baseball especially with top notch pitchers who suddenly lose it; because of his hi $$$ contract thanks to previous GM Treliving - why i say a 1 rating still = 1. if there were records kept for giveaways he would still rank near the top of the list  b) same with 50-50 battles along the boards he seems to lose about 75% of the time    c) he is a goalies' delight on the power play from the slot as he turns his shoulders away from the goal towards a cross-ice pass thus telegraphing that he has no intention of shooting (not that he has ever been much of goal scorer) d) even his setting up of goal passes which at that price should be tremendous - has been averagish range say a 3.    

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Drugs makes people do anything to find the next buck, a crazy story but most likely to support an addictions habit is all this is.

Lord Stanley "cup" is nothing but a mere mirage for us at this point unfortunately. 

Anyway back to the report card I never filled one out as I would be more harsher then most posts in here. "Keeping it humble"! 🤐

On 1/10/2024 at 10:09 PM, DirtyDeeds said:

New Managements Performance [This would be mostly the Coach and General Manager]: 3+ for both.  Think they've been better than average but not outstanding.  Huska has done a pretty good job, especially with the young kids.  Also his trials with line combos was thorough and settled on some good combos.  Can't do much about personnel.  Conroy mad a couple good trades, but failed to keep his word on the UFAs and seems to be dithering now, though his hands may be tied.

Overall teams Performance.  2: Much better goaltending, same meh results, meaning poorer play.

Offense Performance  2: Inconsistent, terrible Power Play, zero game-breakers.  

Defense Performance 3: Defensively poor, scoring positive.  3rd pairing terrible, Anderson in decline, Hanifin and Tanev likely gone(hopefully), Kylington coming back a positive, defensive play of forwards is OK to positive.

Goaltending Performance 4: Been a bit inconsistent, much better play overall but then big letdowns.  

What you would change to attain the goal of making the playoffs.   Trade off ALL the UFAs and perhaps a few others.

Finally:

Are we better than last year?   Worse, failing to take advantage of potential big trade year, which is a HUGE failing.

Are we worse off.   YES

Are we pointed in the right direction   ....NO

Are we sliding off the map of relevance?  Seems so...

Lastly has your fandom for the Flames changed this year or from the start of the year?   Down, down, down..... 

• Like 3