2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

52 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Jason Bukala's 2024 NHL Mock Draft: Predicting the first 32 picks (sportsnet.ca)

Bukala has us drafting Iginla 9 and Jiricek 28. That would be a pretty solid draft all in all.

Consider the 10th is Siliyev and Buium is 12th, I'm not sure I trust his rankings.  Maybe it's how he thinks teams draft.  Just seems like odd picks.

Mock drafts by numerous reputable sports groups (ESPN, TSN, Sporting News, The Hockey News, are really all over the place right now. Button and Mackenzie have very different ideas, and everyone is guessing what teams are thinking.

Button

9. Cayden Lindstrom (Dickinson, Silayev, Catton available)

28. Cole Beaudoin

Mackenzie

9. Konsta Helenius ( Iginla, Catton available)

28. Marek Vanacker

ESPN

9. Cole Eiserman (Dickinson, Catton available)

28. EJ Emery

Hockey News

9. Berkely Catton (Buium, available)

28. EJ Emery

Sporting News

9. Sam Dickinson (Catton available)

28. Jett Luchanko

Only 1 of the above thinks Iginla will even be available, but nobody agrees on who the Flames will pick at 9, while 2 think Emery at 28 with no other consensus.

Could be a crazy draft.

37 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Take it for what it's worth, but if Utah takes Sennecke at 6, it is going to leave a really good player at 9.

If Sennecke is 6... Then one of Dickinson, Buium, or Parekh would get bumped to 9.  I'm hoping for Buium.  

23 minutes ago, bosn111 said:

Mock drafts by numerous reputable sports groups (ESPN, TSN, Sporting News, The Hockey News, are really all over the place right now. Button and Mackenzie have very different ideas, and everyone is guessing what teams are thinking.

Button

9. Cayden Lindstrom (Dickinson, Silayev, Catton available)

28. Cole Beaudoin

Mackenzie

9. Konsta Helenius ( Iginla, Catton available)

28. Marek Vanacker

ESPN

9. Cole Eiserman (Dickinson, Catton available)

28. EJ Emery

Hockey News

9. Berkely Catton (Buium, available)

28. EJ Emery

Sporting News

9. Sam Dickinson (Catton available)

28. Jett Luchanko

Only 1 of the above thinks Iginla will even be available, but nobody agrees on who the Flames will pick at 9, while 2 think Emery at 28 with no other consensus.

Could be a crazy draft.

Absolutely could be a crazy draft and for us flames fans…it’s probably the first draft in years to be excited about…added to the fact it’s so unpredictable should be fun!

2 hours ago, sak22 said:

Can’t really operate based on early projections, take the player you like best now.  What were projections last year for this year?  Sure no change at #1, but Eiserman was largely projected to be a top 5 pick and is now not even top 10.  Iginla was a 2nd rounder, etc.  Can’t look too far ahead.  Some will rise and others will fall, nobody next year should influence this year’s decisions.

Oh for sure.  But at the same time, Celebrini retained #1 all season this year.  Certain players stay in range.  Others will be late bloomers and rise fast.

Realistically, we are picking top 10 again next year.  There will be familiar names staying in the top 10 for next year.  Just something to plan ahead with.

Just thinking aloud here:

If the Flames were able to trade up to 11 or 12, trading with Philly or Buffalo, and possibly moving up a few spots from 28 to 20 ish by trading the 28+ something, there would be a chance to have a first round draft of

9. Dickinson or Silayev

12. Catton or Sennecke

20. Emery or Jiricek

Potential top pair D

High end C or RW

Mid pair D

All in 1 draft. Could be interesting. Wishful thinking I know.

Senneke has completely skyrocketed. I have huge reservations based on half a season. He's pretty much in line with Tiggy and Greentree for me. 12 to 16ish. The Yakemchuk's of forwards.

The hype machines are in overdrive (as usual).

@bosn111, look at all these "experts" rankings over the course of a season. They flavour-of-the-month EVERYTHING.

It seems more emotion than practicality. They're always all over the map in ADHD. I always point out Button doing this, but it's most of them. Like a chemical imbalance where they can't remember why they loved a particular player 2 months ago. Then he had the flu/minor injury, bad showings because his dog died, whatever, and all that love is gone. New flavour.

Pro scouts have good access to players, they don't. So their guesses are about as "expert" as anyone who takes the time to scrub games live or streamed/PVR'd.

9 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Senneke has completely skyrocketed. I have huge reservations based on half a season. He's pretty much in line with Tiggy and Greentree for me. 12 to 16ish. The Yakemchuk's of forwards.

The hype machines are in overdrive (as usual).

@bosn111, look at all these "experts" rankings over the course of a season. They flavour-of-the-month EVERYTHING.

It seems more emotion than practicality. They're always all over the map in ADHD. I always point out Button doing this, but it's most of them. Like a chemical imbalance where they can't remember why they loved a particular player 2 months ago. Then he had the flu/minor injury, bad showings because his dog died, whatever, and all that love is gone. New flavour.

Pro scouts have good access to players, they don't. So their guesses are about as "expert" as anyone who takes the time to scrub games live or streamed/PVR'd.

You really have to wonder what a scout or analyst would have seen to drastically change their ranking.  Sure, a rank from November might not be accurate, but the observations they used to come up with one may not really change.  I noticed this....Oh, he has started scoring so all is forgotten....He had a bad/good playoffs, so all is forgotten.

I would hope we are not looking at Johnny come lately player rankings.

15 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You really have to wonder what a scout or analyst would have seen to drastically change their ranking.  

Perhaps they find out if any of them had birthday parties that no teammates showed up to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, sak22 said:

Perhaps they find out if any of them had birthday parties that no teammates showed up to.

Their girlfriend is a total biotch. He's obviously not thinking straight. She's not even blonde. Like, where is his head at? lol

5 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Their girlfriend is a total biotch. He's obviously not thinking straight. She's not even blonde. Like, where is his head at? lol

What was the line from Moneyball?

“An ugly girlfriend means no confidence, OK? I’m just saying, we are trying to replace Giambi and this guy’s girlfriend is a 6 at best”.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

You really have to wonder what a scout or analyst would have seen to drastically change their ranking.  Sure, a rank from November might not be accurate, but the observations they used to come up with one may not really change.  I noticed this....Oh, he has started scoring so all is forgotten....He had a bad/good playoffs, so all is forgotten.

I would hope we are not looking at Johnny come lately player rankings.

Recency bias. I think teams are going to regret passing on Catton and Eiserman.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Past examples include PLD, Laine, and Poolparty.

PLD and Laine are more mistakes based on work ethic.

Pooly was one tournament he played with Laine, was it not?

It should be an interesting draft.  There are going to be WTF moments and guys that fall hard.  I hope we don't have a WTF moment and look hard at the guys that fall.  

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Past examples include PLD, Laine, and Poolparty.

PLD and Laine are more mistakes based on work ethic.

Pooly was one tournament he played with Laine, was it not?

It should be an interesting draft.  There are going to be WTF moments and guys that fall hard.  I hope we don't have a WTF moment and look hard at the guys that fall.  

Also with this draft, we have heard forever that it isn’t the deepest draft, so now scouts are looking for the sleeper picks.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

There it is.

Those 2 should likely be in the top 7, at worst. Eiserman has had no problem punching above his weight with guys a year and 2 older. He, well, scores. Easily the best snipe in this class. Easily.

Dude will score and refer to himself in the 3rd person. Ovechkin isn't exactly modest.

All he does is score. lol

Alternatively, we get, "well, his play away from the puck". What even?  He's a snipe. Not a 3C.

I still expect him to go high. If he's there for us, I'd have to pull the trigger.

Wanna take a swing at a potential scoring star?

He's your guy.

6 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

There it is.

Those 2 should likely be in the top 7, at worst. Eiserman has had no problem punching above his weight with guys a year and 2 older. He, well, scores. Easily the best snipe in this class. Easily.

Dude will score and refer to himself in the 3rd person. Ovechkin isn't exactly modest.

All he does is score. lol

Alternatively, we get, "well, his play away from the puck". What even?  He's a snipe. Not a 3C.

I still expect him to go high. If he's there for us, I'd have to pull the trigger.

Wanna take a swing at a potential scoring star?

He's your guy.

But you also don't like Parekh?