2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 minute ago, MP5029 said:

I figured this would be the next point, my counter point to this is Lindholm…Ctr in Car, became RW and scored a lot better then shifted back to Ctr and was better Ctr for it….

That's very debatable.  

but yes its an example of the debate. Lindholm was the better offensive player on the wing and at center he's good but not top line. could be similar with Tij.

Iginla and Catton are both good players and I wouldn't be upset to see us draft eith one. I think Catton has more skill and speed and they really aren't that far off size-wise. I think Catton is more of play driver, than Iginla. Catton reminds me a lot of Brayden Point, except Catton is a better skater at the same age. Where I would say Iginla reminds me more of Filip Forsberg. Both great players.

I will also add that Catton is one of 2 players since the year 2000 to put up 50 goals and 100 points in his age 17 season in the WHL. The other player is Connor Bedard.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Iginla and Catton are both good players and I wouldn't be upset to see us draft eith one. I think Catton has more skill and speed and they really aren't that far off size-wise. I think Catton is more of play driver, than Iginla. Catton reminds me a lot of Brayden Point, except Catton is a better skater at the same age. Where I would say Iginla reminds me more of Filip Forsberg. Both great players.

I will also add that Catton is one of 2 players since the year 2000 to put up 50 goals and 100 points in his age 17 season in the WHL. The other player is Connor Bedard.

I think Catton is going before we get to the podium.

I think Catton has probably been over-scouted at this point. I've seen that mentioned by a few scouts.  This was a player that went 1st overall in the Dub. Dominated the Hlinka and was the Captain. Played very well at the U17, played in the U18 as an underage. 

There's a better video of this on youtube but it won't allow me to post it.

I think of the more "realistic" options at 9 I think 1 of Buium, Catton or Parekh would be the most exciting for me. 

Obviously if Dickinson falls cool but outside of that 1 of those 3 I think are where I would get the most excited. 

I too am a bigger fan of Catton then I am Iginla. 

42 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I think of the more "realistic" options at 9 I think 1 of Buium, Catton or Parekh would be the most exciting for me. 

Obviously if Dickinson falls cool but outside of that 1 of those 3 I think are where I would get the most excited. 

I too am a bigger fan of Catton then I am Iginla. 

After viewing lots of videos of these guys Buium would be my clear first choice.  Parekh scares me because he seems very one-dimensional, Dickinson seems the most meh of them all and I just don’t see how Catton piled up those massive points… The Flames are going to have a hard time choosing between them.  

I am of the opinion that Calgary should pick the BPA with their 9th OA pick, regardless of position.

This draft, the ceiling of the players that are likely to be picked from 4 - 13 is fairly similar. I believe that Calgary's #9 is going to be a relatively safe pick, unless all the staff are drunk and the Flames go way off the board.

Calgary currently has a reasonable number of D prospects that project to play in at least some NHL games, but almost none that have a chance to be a Top Pairing defenseman.

So, regardless of who they pick at #9, I would definitely take a higher risk when choosing at 28th. My options for defensemen would be Harrison Brunike (weakness= offense), Alfons Freij (weakness = physicality), and Cole Hutson (weakness = defense).

If they manage to overcome their weaknesses, I think that they all could potentially be Top Pairing Ds.

5 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I am of the opinion that Calgary should pick the BPA with their 9th OA pick, regardless of position.

This draft, the ceiling of the players that are likely to be picked from 4 - 13 is fairly similar. I believe that Calgary's #9 is going to be a relatively safe pick, unless all the staff are drunk and the Flames go way off the board.

Calgary currently has a reasonable number of D prospects that project to play in at least some NHL games, but almost none that have a chance to be a Top Pairing defenseman.

So, regardless of who they pick at #9, I would definitely take a higher risk when choosing at 28th. My options for defensemen would be Harrison Brunike (weakness= offense), Alfons Freij (weakness = physicality), and Cole Hutson (weakness = defense).

If they manage to overcome their weaknesses, I think that they all could potentially be Top Pairing Ds.

Hutson would be fun. Later on, Fischer would be a good one for lots of room to develop. Many give him glowing scouting reports, yet he sits somewhere around 70 on most guess lists.

I posted this to the Wings thread in NHL talk. So if it shouldn't be here, just remove it.

I'm putting it here also because I believe it applies to every team's approach to the draft. Some things are Wings specific, but there is a lot here. Hence the 54 minutes.

At about the 22:30 mark, he discusses how Russian scouting works. At about 26 mins, the CapFriendly impact.

Lots of great questions, things that generally apply to every team.

Great insights, as usual.

22 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Behind paywall by the looks of it.

Any sage advice?

I don't know why. It's The Athletic, but via NY Times. I have zero problem via laptop. Maybe it's a phone thing?

I'm a Firefox guy, so no issues.

Could be extension specific, I'm not savvy enough.

For those that don't care to watch, he has the Flames taking Dickinon at 9th and Sahlin-Wallenius at 28th. Both LHD. 

I think the the Flames will have two players they really like at 9th. There will be consternation either way. In this case they pass on Catton. 

My wish list is Buium, Dickinson or Catton at 9th.  A high-end blueliner would be nice to add to the organization. I think the preference from the Flames would be a centre, but next years draft looks promising in that regard. 

18 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

For those that don't care to watch, he has the Flames taking Dickinon at 9th and Sahlin-Wallenius at 28th. Both LHD. 

I think the the Flames will have two players they really like at 9th. There will be consternation either way. In this case they pass on Catton. 

My wish list is Buium, Dickinson or Catton at 9th.  A high-end blueliner would be nice to add to the organization. I think the preference from the Flames would be a centre, but next years draft looks promising in that regard. 

Conny tipped his hand a bit In his interview saying all things being equal they'd love a center .. but of course at the same time they will take the best prospect at 9 .. so if it's close , the center will win 

He also said he sees Tij as a winger in the NHL 

1 hour ago, phoenix66 said:

Conny tipped his hand a bit In his interview saying all things being equal they'd love a center .. but of course at the same time they will take the best prospect at 9 .. so if it's close , the center will win 

He also said he sees Tij as a winger in the NHL 

If Lindstrom were to be available at 9. I think they run to the podium.

that feels exceedingly unlikely. If they want a centre at 9th I think at least one of Catton or Helenius will be available. Then it becomes a question of whether or not the Flames view either as a centre. Being sub 6ft. If they view them as wingers, I would suggest they take a defender.

12 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If Lindstrom were to be available at 9. I think they run to the podium.

that feels exceedingly unlikely. If they want a centre at 9th I think at least one of Catton or Helenius will be available. Then it becomes a question of whether or not the Flames view either as a centre. Being sub 6ft. If they view them as wingers, I would suggest they take a defender.

Agreed on Lidstrom.. tho if that were to happen that would mean there was a run on D.. so there may be a couple intriguing options. Catton would be a great choice .. Helenius I feel would be a reach at 9 

The only consensus I've seen is that after Celebrini, it's a dice roll until about 12. ..I've seen mocks where we get Davidov..  I could see him falling .. it's looking like one of the rare times at a draft where the top 10 may have the luxury of drafting for need without overly  reaching 

1 minute ago, phoenix66 said:

Agreed on Lidstrom.. tho if that were to happen that would mean there was a run on D.. so there may be a couple intriguing options. Catton would be a great choice .. Helenius I feel would be a reach at 9 

The only consensus I've seen is that after Celebrini, it's a dice roll until about 12. ..I've seen mocks where we get Davidov..  I could see him falling .. it's looking like one of the rare times at a draft where the top 10 may have the luxury of drafting for need without overly  reaching 

This is a funny draft. Lots of us complained about the Flames "ruining" their draft pick with wins down the stretch.

I think they may get the same player they would have taken if they were picking 6th. 

It's going to be a lot of fun next Friday. The draft start at 2. It could go a million different ways, starting with the CHI pick. Sennecke, Yakemchuk or Helenius are players I personally have just outside the top ten. Wouldn't be crazy if they end up going before the Flames pick though. Someone really good will be there for the Flames. Looking forward to it. The Flames and the fan base deserve something good. It's been a rough two years.

7 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is a funny draft.

Lots of us complained about the Flames "ruining" their draft pick with wins down the stretch.

I think they may get the same player they would have taken if they were picking 6th. 

It's going to be a lot of fun next Friday. The draft start at 2. It could go a million different ways, starting with the CHI pick. Sennecke, Yakemchuk or Helenius are players I personally have just outside the top ten. Wouldn't be crazy if they end up going before the Flames pick though. Someone really good will be there for the Flames. Looking forward to it. The Flames and the fan base deserve something good. It's been a rough two years.

Well, a few more losses and the Flame may have a chance at Lindstrom at 6 or 7.  So it's kind of hard to say at this stage.  We will find out how things play out.  

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is a funny draft. Lots of us complained about the Flames "ruining" their draft pick with wins down the stretch.

Ya I dont see Yakemchuk even being an option... In the event he's actually the top D available at 9 will mean a handful of the higher ranked forwards have dropped 

All we can be sure of from history.. is somebody is drafting the next olli Juolevei /Jesse puuljarvi higher and someone else is getting the next Willy Nylander later .. it feels like that kind of draft 

Pronman did a full 7 round mock

Here's the haul the Flames netted

9th- Sam Dickinson LD

Great pick. The Flames passed on Iginla and Catton.

28th- Leo Sahlin Wallenius LD
I like this pick, I'm a fan of Wallenius. The Flames address their D prospect pool in a meaningful way with their first two picks.

41st- Jack Berglund C

I'm not all that familiar with Berglund. Pronman is higher on Berglund than almost any public scouting list though.

62nd- Spencer Gill RD

Big bodied, RHS. Some decent puck skills. Again, adding to the defensive depth, nice to add a RHS.

74th- Tanner Howe LW

This is my favorite pick of this mock. Howe is skilled and plays with grit. Great value here.

84th- Kamil Bednarik C

Three consecutive picks I like. Solid two game with Bednarik

107th- Alexis Bernier RHD

Going back to the Q and taking another RHD. Decent puck skills and plays with some edge.

108th- Kirill Zarubin G

The annual Russian goalie pick. 

170th- Darels Uljanskis D

Latvian D playing in Sweden. Pretty productive

Pretty good haul for Calgary. Of course, the biggest question would be, why not Tij? Other than not, this mock has the Flames bolstering their pipeline, in a meaningful way.

• Like 1