2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

24 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

A few of the Athletic writers did a mock draft. 

The most interesting pick was at 4th. Corey Pronman was picking for CBJ and took Yakemchuk.

They had the Flames take Lindstrom at 9. Passed on Iginla.

Lindstrom at 9 would be a home run.

20 minutes ago, cross16 said:

For me in this draft there is no nightmare scenario. sure some will reply with "yeah but what if they go off the board" to which I will say they didn't go off their board. 

There isn't really a hard shelf here that creates a nightmare scenario. Don't think this is a franchise altering draft outside of pick 1 but it's a good one. 

Starting to remind me of 2008. 1 maybe 2, franchise altering talents at the top and then a lot of good players throughout that were good/key members of a franchise but not altering. 

Yup. There is a lot of depth in this draft. Pretty good timing to have 6 picks in the top 84, followed by 106 and 107 back-to-back.

Let your scouts do what they're paid to do. All Conroy has to do is follow their lead.

If we are truly going to do a new direction, let people do their jobs.

We've either emptied the bullet chamber too often or over-ridden them on occasion.

New direction, give your scouts a reason, and listen to them. They're better at it than you are.

2 hours ago, cberg said:

True, but my point was rather that pushing for the “if, if, if success” upsides only makes it harder to consummate the primary deal, or causes reluctance of hassling with the minor details with some teams?

Are we just kinda, you know, tip-toeing around which team killed 2 of the 3 conditions? lol

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Yup. There is a lot of depth in this draft. Pretty good timing to have 6 picks in the top 84, followed by 106 and 107 back-to-back.

Let your scouts do what they're paid to do. All Conroy has to do is follow their lead.

If we are truly going to do a new direction, let people do their jobs.

We've either emptied the bullet chamber too often or over-ridden them on occasion.

New direction, give your scouts a reason, and listen to them. They're better at it than you are.

Trues.  Like you said previously, don't spend all the money in one store.  The Flames are going to be in the basement for several drafts.  Can still use Andersson, Weegar, etc as trade bait for next draft.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Lindstrom at 9 would be a home run.

He would if Iginla is not available, if Iginla is available at 9 then not a home run…what would really great is if we could add another top 10 and land both Lindstrom and Iginla that would be ideal

6 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

He would if Iginla is not available, if Iginla is available at 9 then not a home run…what would really great is if we could add another top 10 and land both Lindstrom and Iginla that would be ideal

No I honestly think if Lindstrom drops to 9, then that would be like Tkachuk dropping to us at #6 that year.  Lindstrom has some injury concerns but if healthy has #1 Center potential.

I like Iginla too but we have bigger needs than LHS LW.  Only draft Iginla if we can get a second top 10 pick or if Buium and Dickinson are both gone.

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

No I honestly think if Lindstrom drops to 9, then that would be like Tkachuk dropping to us at #6 that year.  Lindstrom has some injury concerns but if healthy has #1 Center potential.

I like Iginla too but we have bigger needs than LHS LW.  Only draft Iginla if we can get a second top 10 pick or if Buium and Dickinson are both gone.

Well I disagree…

I see Tig as better than Tkachuck, he’s gonna challenge his dad for goals…the only Tij lacks that his dad had is grit…not that he lacks grit just that the grit element is different since then kinda watered down from the newer rules…but with that, Tij has developed under the newer system so his grit level is on par with his dad’s in terms of era…

as for Lindstrom, he’s a huge risk player to gamble the future on, while possibly a light #1 Ctr I figure he maxes out at a Lindholm level…which is not bad but it’s not on the same Level as Tij he’s elite 100% no doubt, and future Captain material too…basically total package with elite talent..his dad through and thorough 

1 hour ago, MP5029 said:

Well I disagree…

I see Tig as better than Tkachuck, he’s gonna challenge his dad for goals…the only Tij lacks that his dad had is grit…not that he lacks grit just that the grit element is different since then kinda watered down from the newer rules…but with that, Tij has developed under the newer system so his grit level is on par with his dad’s in terms of era…

as for Lindstrom, he’s a huge risk player to gamble the future on, while possibly a light #1 Ctr I figure he maxes out at a Lindholm level…which is not bad but it’s not on the same Level as Tij he’s elite 100% no doubt, and future Captain material too…basically total package with elite talent..his dad through and thorough 

Oof those expectations.  Jarome ranks 17th all time in the NHL with 625 goals.

I like Tij too but I'm thinking 35-40 goals in his peak prime.  If those goals come with two-way play then that's a bonus.

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

Well I disagree…

Dude, no. He's just another prospect with everyone's idol's last name. This is entirely the problem with drafting him. If what you're saying were true, he'd be ranked in the top 5 consistently by everyone and their dog.

But he's not.

His current ceiling is 2nd line LW. Not franchise player. If we were to take him before, say, Catton, fire all the scouts. Catton has consistently been one of the best Canadians in this age group for a few years now. Now if his name were Berkly Iginla, by all means, go for it. It really isn't hard to disseminate who the better player is by watching them enough times. It's really easy to discriminate when your dad's a legend, though.

I'm sure Tij's path has been met with nothing but barriers, like most kids. /s

I still have Iginla right around Greentree, and likely just behind him. Greentree is the better 3 zone player imo.

I'm taking neither in the top 12.

But I know it isn't hard to find "expert" bloggers that disagree. My cousin is one, you should meet him. lol

You would understand my disdain for hot air balloons that is most of them.

The worst outcome is bound to happen, because, well, Flames.

He'll be on the board, we don't take him. The fanbase will erupt in some imaginary moral outrage, and hold it against the better kid that we actually do take. Like fantasy team mgrs that think they are actual mgrs. lol

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Dude, no. He's just another prospect with everyone's idol's last name. This is entirely the problem with drafting him. If what you're saying were true, he'd be ranked in the top 5 consistently by everyone and their dog.

But he's not.

His current ceiling is 2nd line LW. Not franchise player. If we were to take him before, say, Catton, fire all the scouts. Catton has consistently been one of the best Canadians in this age group for a few years now. Now if his name were Berkly Iginla, by all means, go for it. It really isn't hard to disseminate who the better player is by watching them enough times. It's really easy to discriminate when your dad's a legend, though.

I'm sure Tij's path has been met with nothing but barriers, like most kids. /s

I still have Iginla right around Greentree, and likely just behind him. Greentree is the better 3 zone player imo.

I'm taking neither in the top 12.

But I know it isn't hard to find "expert" bloggers that disagree. My cousin is one, you should meet him. lol

You would understand my disdain for hot air balloons that is most of them.

The worst outcome is bound to happen, because, well, Flames.

He'll be on the board, we don't take him. The fanbase will erupt in some imaginary moral outrage, and hold it against the better kid that we actually do take. Like fantasy team mgrs that think they are actual mgrs. lol

Hey C, you're turning this thread into a comedy routine.  As if you know for sure what Tij(Catton too) is going to turn out to be, or that you DON'T know that scouts and "everyone and their dog" have been clueless and so wrong on so many, each and every year.  At least you've staked your claim to 'Tij is not a franchise player' to back up your "I told you so's..." down the road.  A little entertainment to start the day.  Thanks, not much hockey news these days.....

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Nightmare scenario right now is,

Celebrini 

2 Demidov 

3 Levshunov 

4 Lindstrom

5 Buium

6 Dickinson

7 Silayev 

8 Iginla

Say it ain't so.

Then you trade our 9th OA to Utah for a 2024 2nd and 3rd, 2025 2 seconds and 2026 2 seconds

5 minutes ago, redfire11 said:

Then you trade our 9th OA to Utah for a 2024 2nd and 3rd, 2025 2 seconds and 2026 2 seconds

6 picks is enticing, but what about Parekh, Catton, Eiserman, Senecke, Yakemchuk… you know, Quality over Quantity, “whoever gets the best player wins the trade”….?

5 minutes ago, cberg said:

6 picks is enticing, but what about Parekh, Catton, Eiserman, Senecke, Yakemchuk… you know, Quality over Quantity, “whoever gets the best player wins the trade”….?

Then you go hard on NJ #10

37 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Yeah I don't think Tij is gonna touch his dad in goals. 

And that's not meant as a negative. They are VERY different in terms of how they play the game. 

This is my biggest concern with Calgary drafting Tij. The instant expectations of him being his Dad and anything less would make him a disappointment. The expectations would be a lot for a kid, there will already be a lot placed on him because he is the son of a hall of famer, but in Calgary specifically those expectations will be ten fold.

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Saros probably makes the most sense with this pick.

Wonder what the VAN pick and Markstrom at 3 mill could do. Maybe not quite enough.

that screams Saros or Askarov to me, or a name we haven't even put out there yet. Key quote in that article "it's going to have to be something significant". 

You don't trade a top 10 pick for a soon to be 35 year old goalie, not even in a package IMO. I don't doubt Fitz and Conroy will talk abut I think we are dreaming if we think we are getting a top 10 pick. 

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

This is my biggest concern with Calgary drafting Tij. The instant expectations of him being his Dad and anything less would make him a disappointment. The expectations would be a lot for a kid, there will already be a lot placed on him because he is the son of a hall of famer, but in Calgary specifically those expectations will be ten fold.

Agreed. As i've said before, and still believe, unless Tij is telling you "draft me" I'd go a different direction. 

20 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I don’t think so, if that were the case then Nylander and the Tkacuck boys that would have been an issue too but all have done very well…

Tij is a sure shot bet to be a corner stone to build around especially with what we already have in the pipes..

granted Ctr is our major issue but I can’t help the sense that 2024 is not the best year either by draft or by trade to address that…D is best this year at the draft with a few wing corner stones like Tij…

tbh, I’m hoping for a total fail in 2024/2025 to land a high pick in next years draft that’s the draft to go hard at a Ctr or two if we can manage another top pick 

this year best bet is Tij, and then RS D maybe some RS ctrs lower in the draft…RS good defensive big body Ctrs…maybe with a little grit and pesky to their game 3/4 line Ctrs types in rounds 2 and 3.

top 2 ctrs are gonna be best had next year’s draft 

3 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

I don’t think so, if that were the case then Nylander and the Tkacuck boys that would have been an issue too but all have done very well…

Tij is a sure shot bet to be a corner stone to build around especially with what we already have in the pipes..

granted Ctr is our major issue but I can’t help the sense that 2024 is not the best year either by draft or by trade to address that…D is best this year at the draft with a few wing corner stones like Tij…

tbh, I’m hoping for a total fail in 2024/2025 to land a high pick in next years draft that’s the draft to go hard at a Ctr or two if we can manage another top pick 

this year best bet is Tij, and then RS D maybe some RS ctrs lower in the draft…RS good defensive big body Ctrs…maybe with a little grit and pesky to their game 3/4 line Ctrs types in rounds 2 and 3.

top 2 ctrs are gonna be best had next year’s draft 

Neither of those guys were Hall of Famers who spent the majority of their careers in one market, and the kids all went somewhere they hadn't played.  

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Saros probably makes the most sense with this pick.

Wonder what the VAN pick and Markstrom at 3 mill could do. Maybe not quite enough.

NSH was asking for Byfield from LAK... Former 2nd overall pick.  Maybe 10th overall doesn't get it done.  They want Celebrini/Demidov level of talent in return.

Ullmark feels like fair value here.  However, BOS may prefer an asset in their prime and doesn't want to draft and wait 2-4 years.  Could the Flames do some kind of 3-way trade here?  NJD gets Ullmark, and BOS gets some combo of Kadri, Andersson, Sharangovich, etc.

What is ANA doing?  Would they trade Gibson or do they feel their team is playoff ready next season?  I imagine they would want another top 10 pick but do they have a new Goalie ready to take over?  If not then their rebuild could go another 5-years and do they want that?

Markstrom + a time machine would work.  I agree 34/35 year old shouldn't be enough to get convos started.  If NJD is willing to move a 10th pick then they probably don't care to pick 28th either.  They simply want the best Goalie available on the market.  At the same time, is NJD desperate enough they would settle for Markstrom?  After all, Ullmark is 1-year to UFA and could walk for nothing after 1-year.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

NSH was asking for Byfield from LAK... Former 2nd overall pick.  Maybe 10th overall doesn't get it done.  They want Celebrini/Demidov level of talent in return.

Ullmark feels like fair value here.  However, BOS may prefer an asset in their prime and doesn't want to draft and wait 2-4 years.  Could the Flames do some kind of 3-way trade here?  NJD gets Ullmark, and BOS gets some combo of Kadri, Andersson, Sharangovich, etc.

What is ANA doing?  Would they trade Gibson or do they feel their team is playoff ready next season?  I imagine they would want another top 10 pick but do they have a new Goalie ready to take over?  If not then their rebuild could go another 5-years and do they want that?

Markstrom + a time machine would work.  I agree 34/35 year old shouldn't be enough to get convos started.  If NJD is willing to move a 10th pick then they probably don't care to pick 28th either.  They simply want the best Goalie available on the market.  At the same time, is NJD desperate enough they would settle for Markstrom?  After all, Ullmark is 1-year to UFA and could walk for nothing after 1-year.

I don't think its fair to compare the upsides of Byfield to Celebrini/Demidov at this point just because Byfield was #2, that was 4 years ago and Byfield arguably isn't even a top 5 player from his draft class at the moment.  I don't think I'd even entertain trading #9 for Byfield.

44 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't think its fair to compare the upsides of Byfield to Celebrini/Demidov at this point just because Byfield was #2, that was 4 years ago and Byfield arguably isn't even a top 5 player from his draft class at the moment.  I don't think I'd even entertain trading #9 for Byfield.

It takes 4-years for some though.  Lafreniere is only starting to come around too.  Both Byfield and Lafreniere are getting their careers back on good trajectory.  But fair point I probably wouldn't trade the #9 for Byfield if Buium or Dickinson is still available.  I might do it if it's only Catton or Helenius.

4 hours ago, cberg said:

to back up your "I told you so's..." down the road.

Have I not been clear that I pride myself on being wrong? lol

It's the paving of unrealistic expectations that drills me. Like dogs on an 'ol pork chop.

He, like close to all 18yos, won't be ready for a few years.

But I will say this, he would boost Wranglers ticket sales in 2026.

I'm absolutely positive that he'll be better than his dad.

There. Now I've covered my bases. lol

I'm not sure if you're quasi-offended or actually offended by my previous post? But I do like to aim for laughter making the world go 'round.

I still hope top D is available at 9. If not, Catton, Helenius or still, Eiserman. I'm fine if we pull 4 dmen in the first 6 picks. They'll follow their list, so we may end up with few. 31 other teams all want the same players.

I'd wager Yakemchuk gets raced up there when the D-run starts getting thick.

Most importantly, will Utah's reps dress to a theme again?