2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Wouldn’t mind seeing the Flames use one of their 3rds to move up for Andrew Basha today. A bit surprised he fell out of the first and not sure he’ll last till 41. 

yeah.   I get the Gridin pick 100%.  But landing both would be epic.   I do think there's a 2-3 of them still available at that calibre, if only one of them drops we are good.  Or if we move up.  yes.

57 minutes ago, phoenix66 said:

From what I was able to decipher ..BT used to be big on the list. It had to be final and ready going Into  the draft and by then the order was final . 

Hearing interviews with both Connie and Sigalet, they still hammer the list, but they go a step further and make tiers .. all players in a tier are nearly equal .so if they feel a need for a position they can have some flexibility.

With the slight exception on goalies .. Sigalet says he makes his list .. and it's separate from the main one..but he had them ranked as to where they should be taken on the primary.. so he fights at the table for when to take the goalie .. I can see a goalie today earlier than last since we have so many rounds with multiple picks 

Conroy was talking about the tiers. One thing I remember is he said this is the year you can make the tiers and then pick for need if the need is more important. I don't know if they will do that in other drafts, just that this draft is a bit wide open 

We can for sure dispute who we think is BPA, but when it comes down to 3 or so D-men to choose from, we are talking about a longer runway to the NHL.  They are going to develop at minimum another year in junior and are highly unlikely to get 9 NHL games in before age 20.  In the case of a D-man committed to university, they can't do that at all unless they leave college and sign.  We are not desperate like Buffalo to get a top player into the NHL.  And we also don't have that NHL ready D-man to use.

So the choice was a player in junior (London), another one in junior (Saginaw), a player in the NCAA (Denver), and a player in the KHL.  Two of them are risks (one playing in a counttu at war).  Two come down to a choice of style and value.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We got two high output players in the first round.  It's time to go with RD, size, defending, etc.  Elick wood be nice.  Badinka.  Pulkkinen big LD.

i still think you just go for bpa.   you expect maybe 2 players on average to become high-value NHLers.   If it's the wrong position then you make a trade.

Do a Really good job of drafting bpa, you might get 3 of those players.    

Play with fire and try to position-guess, and you can end up with only 1 player, or 0 NHL players.   We've done that.

That said, always...  RD, RW, C, and G have more value.  every time.   So they Should naturally get selected if you have your BPA set right.

I don't even know if I am agreeing with you or disagreeing with you lol..     different theory, potentially same result.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I knew we were interested in Gridin, maybe they assumed he's not getting to 41. Everyone was zeroed in on moving up from 28. I thought we might move up from 41 for him. Muskegon is kind of a depressing Satoshi Nakamotohole. lol

Ann Arbour is basically less than Calgary to Leduc for me, plus I have the Big Ten Channel, so that's fun.

O'Reilly to Edmonton....🤮

Dickinson and Buium on the board, and we chose Parekh. I guess we'll see how that works out.

I'm sure everyone will love the, "coaches need to understand that I play differently" talk. I'm sure turning pro with that attitude will go well.

If you need to preface his d-play with, "it's not as bad as people are saying it is", well, it might be as bad as people are saying it is.

He always gets caught leaning north and favouring risk over defending.

You can't do that turning pro. You're getting exposed in jr, not a great sign. A top 2 dman has to play vs the other team's best players. That'll be something to keep an eye on. Buium and Dickinson don't have this glaring hole in their game.

But I just knew, reading that Parekh's brother is invited to camp, that our fate was sealed.

I have a golf tourney in a few weeks, where I know someone that currently isn't looking forward to seeing me. But there is lots of draft to go.

Michigan is a great program to develop Gridin. I don't mind that pick, just thought we'd trade 41 up to 35ish.

London has the best dev program in the entire CHL, we took swings over certainty. Hope they're not strikeouts.

We now have the 2 leading-scoring dmen from the OHL last year.

Now I have to figure out a Saginaw subscription for next year, Blockchainers. I have a London one.

Me. I'd have taken Buium/Dickinson and O'Reilly. Traded up from 41 tomorrow for Gridin. Look for Fischer at 62 or 71 by reading the room.

Everyone falling over themselves for RD, well, your LD prospects aren't exactly the Satoshi Nakamoto.

I didn't enjoy day 1. lol

Capped off with O'Reilly to Edmonton. Well, Blockchain.

Buium and Dickinson was right there.  Both are better overall and time will prove that.  No argument there.  But as you alluded to, RD over LD.  Our LD aren't great but LD can be found in trades and UFA.  RD are harder to come by.  In fact, we should take at least one more RD with our 2nd round picks.  It's that bad for us at RD.

OTT reached for RD as well.  It happens.  It's needs to happen to us at some point.

13 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

If Brz wants to be traded, you are happy to deal him. It means he's not up for the competition of fighting for position.

Yup. He better be ready to compete. This is the NHL, they aren't just giving spots out.

I do think there is room for both on a roster though. Brzustewicz is more play-maker. Parekh can shoot and distribute.

We have to see what Brzustewicz is as a pro though. He will be on the Wranglers this season.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Buium and Dickinson was right there.  Both are better overall and time will prove that.  No argument there.  But as you alluded to, RD over LD.  Our LD aren't great but LD can be found in trades and UFA.  RD are harder to come by.  In fact, we should take at least one more RD with our 2nd round picks.  It's that bad for us at RD.

OTT reached for RD as well.  It happens.  It's needs to happen to us at some point.

they can traded for and  also be drafted easily. 

Just now, Thebrewcrew said:

Yup. He better be ready to compete. This is the NHL, they aren't just giving spots out.

I do think there is room for both on a roster though. Brzustewicz is more play-maker. Parekh can shoot and distribute.

We have to see what Brzustewicz is as a pro though. He will be on the Wranglers this season.

sounds like they're friends. They text each other to congratulate each other when they succeed at something. So that is cool. Parekh mentioned that in a Fan interview with Pat.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I do wonder about Brzustewicz now. Oops, copied from the net and pasted... don't mean to yell it lol. Rumour was he wasn't going to sign in Vancouver because he didn't see opportunity there and will he want to be traded again due to drafting Parekh?

The two top D in the OHL for scoring.  We signed one so far.  I believe Breezer can play in the AHL this season, but he may have an opportunity to get 9 games in if not.  Pretty sure he can play in the AHL.  He ain't stupid.  He knows we are in transition.  He knew we would be drafting D.  He knows what we have.  He has no rights to be traded.  We have 3 years of him and still retain his rights with him having little leverage.  

I have to think he will be motivated to show he can play in the NHL, so a future prospect wouldn't worry him.  He was more concerned he would never crack the VAN roster.  That seems weird now.  Zadorov walked.  They signed Myers again, but they don't exactly look young in the NHL.  They have a ton of prospects and AHL D though.

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

We opted to not take the safe pick in Dickinson.  Maybe one of the players with the highest upside.  Parekh plays LD like Weegar does, no?  Haven't watched him other than a few highlights.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Always feel a little bit for the kid that goes 33rd. Amazing accomplishment, but they miss out on the pageantry of being a "1st round draft pick" 

I would say that 99% of the top 32 were expected to go top 32.  The guy who goes 33 is likely no more a projected top 32 than the guy that goes 34-41.  It's funny that way.  Fallers seem to fall hard and eventually get snapped up.  

Your 2nd sentence is absolutely true.  They call it pedegree, but it's BS.  Stankhoven is no less deserving of that than some of the reaches.