2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

3 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Gridin is really skilled.

Said he "loves Kuzentsov" then he paused, "I love Kuznetsov on the ice, not the off ice". Thought that was funny. His shotout attempts look like Kuznetsov. Time him with a sun dial.

He's also able to score from that Draisaitl spot, bad angle on the RW. 

Looks like the Flames have added a really skilled winger here

I have said this a few times, but I think Kuzmenko is a guys we should be holding onto.  We lack skill up and down the lineup.  The guy is a fun player on the bench.  He seems to really understand the ice.  It only makes sense if we aren't overpaying him.  In two years time, the current salary is not a big drain.  

I compare this to Mangiapane.  We didn't have room for two wingers that are better scorers than playmakers.  Mangiapane was more a fiesty guy, so he took dumb penalties.  Kuz stays away from the useless scrums after the whistle.  We have guys for that.  If all you get is a 2nd at best, how is that great asset management?  He was initially a cap dump, so a free player, but he did as well as Mangiapane did.  Dare I say better than Huberdeau?  At least he could score on the PP.  We only had one or two others that could.

So, I'm inclined to not trade him.  Not while we are re-tooling.  Maybe down the road.

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

💯.. this is the thing with picks starting mid to late first.. you're not drafting a stud .. you're drafting a kid with the potential to become a stud ..   they all need work .. but if you can hit on the things you can't teach. Then you're odds are better at winning the dice roll 

it all depends on whether the kid is teachable and they have drive. Imagine if Laine or PLD had that? 

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I'm hearing that the 2025 draft will have many good centers.

Glad that the Flames will have at least two first round picks for that draft.

I am hoping that next season Calgary plays the heck out of Kuzmenko on the PP to pump up his stats so high that they could move him at the TDL for a 1st or a couple of 2nd round picks.

doesn't Montreal get one of those next year?

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I"m extremely happy about Gridin.  He wasn't on my list 😕  But, this is a case of my bad (put it together in one hour) versus the Flames going off the board (they didn't).   

If the Flames were going to do something unexpected, I wanted it to be a Russian because I feel they are extremely discounted right now.  Even some of the ones playing in NA.    Gridin was straight-up mis-ranked by everyone.  You look at his numbers, the size, the skating, the shot....the RW... (i think they'll keep him there)

he's 1st round.  easy.   I didn't see any obvious player to rank higher than him at 28.    

And I'm obviously thrilled about Parekh, who I had ranked 3rd in the draft.

Strange feelling having absolutely nothing to whine about.   Great work Conroy.   I don't see how we could have possibly come away with more skill and potential or high value positional gain than the choices made.   They were long-term, raw-talent based choices.  These players are both projects but with high, high, high ceilings.

That's exactly what we needed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phoenix66 said:

💯.. this is the thing with picks starting mid to late first.. you're not drafting a stud .. you're drafting a kid with the potential to become a stud ..   they all need work .. but if you can hit on the things you can't teach. Then you're odds are better at winning the dice roll 

It's this yes.  Said it perfectly.   And that's actually how it's possible to over-scout.   The most complete 18 year old is not necessarily the most complete 25 year old.  You absolutely need to go for the unteachables.

But then ....yeah.  the next part is harder.  teaching the teachables.  So that's where a really strong development system is key.

40 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it all depends on whether the kid is teachable and they have drive. Imagine if Laine or PLD had that? 

doesn't Montreal get one of those next year?

Imagine if those players didn't end up where they were drafted?

Who knows if they turn out different.

Bennett ended up a certain way because we drafted him.

As far as picks go, we get 4 over the next 2 years

The nuumber per year depends on how three teams place in the draft rankings after lotto results.

FLA outside top 10 we get it.

NJ outside top 10 we get it.

Ours outside the top 10, MTL gets the better between ours and FLA.

That's the easiest scenario to explain.

Cross did it a few times, and quite succinctly.

3 hours ago, iceman1970 said:

If I was drafting skill I think I would have gone chernyshov, artamanov or basha

All 3 are very interesting.  I had em ranked to pick at 28.

But in terms of just raw, pure goalscoring.....   rankings aside, I think you have to give that to Gridin.   Then he's got the RW thing going for him (we've drafted a LOT of LW), the size, and, also not stuck in Russia.

I look at their numbers and if you are strictly going for raw scoring talent (rightly or wrongly), I think you ... take Gridin.   It was mentioned that we could have gotten Gridin at 41 maybe.

Maybe.  shrug.  One of these 3 players will also be available at 41, I think.   For various reasons.

53 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I"m extremely happy about Gridin.  He wasn't on my list 😕  But, this is a case of my bad (put it together in one hour) versus the Flames going off the board (they didn't).   

If the Flames were going to do something unexpected, I wanted it to be a Russian because I feel they are extremely discounted right now.  Even some of the ones playing in NA.    Gridin was straight-up mis-ranked by everyone.  You look at his numbers, the size, the skating, the shot....the RW... (i think they'll keep him there)

he's 1st round.  easy.   I didn't see any obvious player to rank higher than him at 28.    

And I'm obviously thrilled about Parekh, who I had ranked 3rd in the draft.

Strange feelling having absolutely nothing to whine about.   Great work Conroy.   I don't see how we could have possibly come away with more skill and potential or high value positional gain than the choices made.   They were long-term, raw-talent based choices.  These players are both projects but with high, high, high ceilings.

That's exactly what we needed.

I find it odd that you didn't have a top 30 list compiled for the last few months.  You of all people.  

Anyway, I'm not complaining because honestly I don't scout or even watch highlight packages,  They are like the best of reels.  Is that all they are reduced to?  I would gain a better picture of a player in 5 games over the course of a season.  I'm thinking that's what we have teams scouting for.  LOL.

No Janko's in this draft.  The GM was no smarter than his best scouts.  He asked who is next BPA and picked them.  Maybe we were on Demidov until he got picked, but I don't think they expected it.  The guys picked 21-32 all seem like they would be good choices.  We picked a Russian in a US system.  We know that system.  We now seem to know Russians.  Good pick.

1 minute ago, jjgallow said:

All 3 are very interesting.  I had em ranked to pick at 28.

But in terms of just raw, pure goalscoring.....   rankings aside, I think you have to give that to Gridin.   Then he's got the RW thing going for him (we've drafted a LOT of LW), the size, and, also not stuck in Russia.

I look at their numbers and if you are strictly going for raw scoring talent (rightly or wrongly), I think you ... take Gridin.   It was mentioned that we could have gotten Gridin at 41 maybe.

Maybe.  shrug.  One of these 3 players will also be available at 41, I think.   For various reasons.

Maybe they will and maybe we pass on them.

It's a lot less clear when you get into the 2nd round.  

In the past we passed on what looked like the BPA remaining after they fell.

Same scouts, but maybe the GM stays out of the convo more now.

I got the sense that BT used to have final say in consensus.

Probably not that true, but scouts all make their pitches.

SOmeone has to write the names down.

I knew we were interested in Gridin, maybe they assumed he's not getting to 41. Everyone was zeroed in on moving up from 28. I thought we might move up from 41 for him. Muskegon is kind of a depressing Satoshi Nakamotohole. lol

Ann Arbour is basically less than Calgary to Leduc for me, plus I have the Big Ten Channel, so that's fun.

O'Reilly to Edmonton....🤮

Dickinson and Buium on the board, and we chose Parekh. I guess we'll see how that works out.

I'm sure everyone will love the, "coaches need to understand that I play differently" talk. I'm sure turning pro with that attitude will go well.

If you need to preface his d-play with, "it's not as bad as people are saying it is", well, it might be as bad as people are saying it is.

He always gets caught leaning north and favouring risk over defending.

You can't do that turning pro. You're getting exposed in jr, not a great sign. A top 2 dman has to play vs the other team's best players. That'll be something to keep an eye on. Buium and Dickinson don't have this glaring hole in their game.

But I just knew, reading that Parekh's brother is invited to camp, that our fate was sealed.

I have a golf tourney in a few weeks, where I know someone that currently isn't looking forward to seeing me. But there is lots of draft to go.

Michigan is a great program to develop Gridin. I don't mind that pick, just thought we'd trade 41 up to 35ish.

London has the best dev program in the entire CHL, we took swings over certainty. Hope they're not strikeouts.

We now have the 2 leading-scoring dmen from the OHL last year.

Now I have to figure out a Saginaw subscription for next year, Blockchainers. I have a London one.

Me. I'd have taken Buium/Dickinson and O'Reilly. Traded up from 41 tomorrow for Gridin. Look for Fischer at 62 or 71 by reading the room.

Everyone falling over themselves for RD, well, your LD prospects aren't exactly the Satoshi Nakamoto.

I didn't enjoy day 1. lol

Capped off with O'Reilly to Edmonton. Well, Blockchain.

• Like 1

I'm so wondering about Detroit. Rumours are Trouba to Detroit. But why not take Eiserman, when you have every type of player in your system, outside of a bonafide goal scorer? Yet another depth player.

Near everyone had Brandsegg-Nygard to Detroit in mocks, so maybe I don't know much.

What's the rub on giving a 2nd to SJ with Walman? If there isn't a rub, we're all very angry.

Cleaning over social media some interesting tidbits showed up...

Flames had the opportunity to swap with Utah but the ask was too rich and involved roster players and Conroy wouldn't do it ..good for him if true ..

Chicago offered Montreal an unprotected first rounder next year plus a 2nd this year and Montreal said no 

Calgary worked hard to get Montreal's pick to try for Demidov ..but again the price was way too high 

• Like 1

I really like Parekh so I’m excited. Yes I thought Bium and Dickinson were better but the upside in Parekh is special so I get the pick 100. I’m not as concerned about his defense as others. Yes he gets caught more than you like but that is coachable. I think where his defense gets knocked is he doesn’t defend in the traditional way. So he’s watch him low in the d zone and you won’t be happy but watch him in the other zones. He does a fantastic job of keeping pucks alive so it doesn’t have to get to his zone. His more of a modern defender and I think can be a good defender at the next level because of his IQ, skating and his stick. 

Watched some of Griddin and can see what they liked. Very impressive hockey IQ. I’m glad he’s going to Michigan because there is a lot of development needed here. This is a project for me, which is fine at that point in the draft, and I think he’ll have to find his game as he grows. But he moves the puck really well. I’m not saying the upside is comparable but I see a lot of Huberdeau in him. Both kind of stay out of the play but both are always very aware of what’s going and good at getting pucks into good areas. Not suggesting he’ll be as good just he plays the game with a similar style. I wish he had a better shot or one on one skills but maybe something he can develop. 

the flames are betting on upside and while you can argue it for sure I never will. I like the approach. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I really like Parekh so I’m excited. Yes I thought Bium and Dickinson were better but the upside in Parekh is special so I get the pick 100. I’m not as concerned about his defense as others. Yes he gets caught more than you like but that is coachable. I think where his defense gets knocked is he doesn’t defend in the traditional way. So he’s watch him low in the d zone and you won’t be happy but watch him in the other zones. He does a fantastic job of keeping pucks alive so it doesn’t have to get to his zone. His more of a modern defender and I think can be a good defender at the next level because of his IQ, skating and his stick. 

Watched some of Griddin and can see what they liked. Very impressive hockey IQ. I’m glad he’s going to Michigan because there is a lot of development needed here. This is a project for me, which is fine at that point in the draft, and I think he’ll have to find his game as he grows. But he moves the puck really well. I’m not saying the upside is comparable but I see a lot of Huberdeau in him. Both kind of stay out of the play but both are always very aware of what’s going and good at getting pucks into good areas. Not suggesting he’ll be as good just he plays the game with a similar style. I wish he had a better shot or one on one skills but maybe something he can develop. 

the flames are betting on upside and while you can argue it for sure I never will. I like the approach. 

💯 this ....

You can't teach hockey IQ.. but you can teach new techniques .

I doubt Makar and Fox were always great defenders when they were kids .. I can't recall the reports on Fox when we drafted him but he was obviously a project too.. I doubt anybody pencilled him as a perennial Norris candidate yet 

We now have the top 2 scorers in the OHL and one is ready to be a pro next year in the A 

I personally think that Eiserman will be the one that got away for many teams ..but that's just me ..I'm no scout 

On Gridin, first to admit never heard of him before then . But when Sam Cosentino says " you don't see him all game and then see he had 3 points "  that tells me he's got IQ..  another comment was that he will dish it off but then show up in a scoring position so his teammates know to just send the puck there cuz he will be there .. ..   you can't teach that .. you're right, very Huberdeau-like with maybe just a bit more finisher in him willing to shoot it. 

Now the work starts to teach them and develop those additional techniques.. and  that's fine .. that's what the process is all about. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Gotta hand that one to Coronato due to the next-level jump in goals.

However, who will translate better is another story.   5'10 versus 6'1.    Born and raised here versus transitioning from Russia.

loads of potential.   they came out swinging with this guy and I am glad they did.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Maybe they will and maybe we pass on them.

It's a lot less clear when you get into the 2nd round.  

In the past we passed on what looked like the BPA remaining after they fell.

Same scouts, but maybe the GM stays out of the convo more now.

I got the sense that BT used to have final say in consensus.

Probably not that true, but scouts all make their pitches.

SOmeone has to write the names down.

From what I was able to decipher ..BT used to be big on the list. It had to be final and ready going Into  the draft and by then the order was final . 

Hearing interviews with both Connie and Sigalet, they still hammer the list, but they go a step further and make tiers .. all players in a tier are nearly equal .so if they feel a need for a position they can have some flexibility.

With the slight exception on goalies .. Sigalet says he makes his list .. and it's separate from the main one..but he had them ranked as to where they should be taken on the primary.. so he fights at the table for when to take the goalie .. I can see a goalie today earlier than last since we have so many rounds with multiple picks 

11 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Listened to the Athletic hockey podcast, they recapped the 1s round.

They talked about Chernyshov not going in round one. Cited some attitude concerns. He's a Milstein client. He missed a portion of the showcase last week, because he decided to go out and got a sun burn

This pack of Milstein clients we seem to be collecting..makes me wonder if he has any prominent RFAs we could offer sheet... We obviously have an In with the agent lol

30 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Listened to the Athletic hockey podcast, they recapped the 1s round.

They talked about Chernyshov not going in round one. Cited some attitude concerns. He's a Milstein client. He missed a portion of the showcase last week, because he decided to go out and got a sun burn

I take that stuff with a grain of salt.   

Like, off-ice matters.  but guys doing ethnic slurs went in 1st round, this guy got a sunburn.

not long ago guys with rape allegations went first round...cough cough.

part of the reason Russians get under-rated is because...yeah.   they sometimes DO have attitude issues because they are super far from home.     Again that's why a team with Russian veterans on it (and in the organisation) can take them on, mentor them, chaperone them, etc etc etc, keep them focused.   

Cause yeah if you send a bunch of OHLer's to Europe/Russia, some will struggle too.   I mean, missing part of a showcase is enough to keep a player out of the top 10, yes.    But we're talking about the 2nd round now.