2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Early in the season, I didn't think the Flames would take Iginla.

Given the season he's had, if he's available, there is a case to be made that he's the best player available. The caveat is if Jarome and Tij would rather he play somewhere else. 

I think the Flames and the Iginla family are hoping Tij is off the board before 9th. 

IMHO I think he is gone before the 7th pick falls. ANA, CBJ, MTL, one of them will nab him. Really Demodov, Lindstrom, Iginla should fall before than

22 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

IMHO I think he is gone before the 7th pick falls. ANA, CBJ, MTL, one of them will nab him. Really Demodov, Lindstrom, Iginla should fall before than

A couple more losses and we could've been drafting at #7.  Good thing this draft is wide open and we should get a good player at 9.  If Iginla is gone by 9 then that means someone good falls a spot to us.

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

A couple more losses and we could've been drafting at #7.  Good thing this draft is wide open and we should get a good player at 9.  If Iginla is gone by 9 then that means someone good falls a spot to us.

We were a Kadri pair away from one loss to ARI.

We were a Kuzmenko hatty away from one loss to ANA.

That would be 6th.

And a pair from Kadri and Kuz from a loss to SJS.

That gets us 5th.

If we were drafting 5th, I wouldn't even want to hear Iggy's name.

He would get taken 4th, but if he didn't then MTL could have had him at 6.

Revisionist history.

Like the year we drafted Tkachuk, we missed out on 2 and 3 because of wins or losses.

The ild days of three lotto picks.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

We were a Kadri pair away from one loss to ARI.

We were a Kuzmenko hatty away from one loss to ANA.

That would be 6th.

And a pair from Kadri and Kuz from a loss to SJS.

That gets us 5th.

If we were drafting 5th, I wouldn't even want to hear Iggy's name.

He would get taken 4th, but if he didn't then MTL could have had him at 6.

Revisionist history.

Like the year we drafted Tkachuk, we missed out on 2 and 3 because of wins or losses.

The ild days of three lotto picks.

That's the funny thing about the draft. The Flames picked 6th and got the 2nd best player in the top ten. Puljujarvi was supposed to be a steal, falling to 4th.

It was speculated the Flames were going to take Keller, before Tkachuk fell.

4 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

That's the funny thing about the draft. The Flames picked 6th and got the 2nd best player in the top ten. Puljujarvi was supposed to be a steal, falling to 4th.

It was speculated the Flames were going to take Keller, before Tkachuk fell.

And according to the GM, we were trying to get 3rd so we could get Tkachuk.

It seems odd that we didn't try to trade with VAN if we wanted Tkachuk.

We knew EDM was running to get Pooly.

If we didn't know the name, there would be zero pressure to draft Iggy Jr.

We never drafted the original.

I think the fan expectations would be through the roof and he would have a tough time.

This fanbase is like Toronto at times; we pick a player to weard the goat horns.

I am quite happy to draft a guy nobody really knows.

Hage has quite the story; tough breaks to the kid at a young age.

SOunds like a great kid to draft at 28, LOL.

Only way he makes it to the Flames is we trade up to get 21 or 10 of the first 15 players are well above their rankings.  I could see 5, but not 10.  Then again, what do the scouts know.  LOL

24 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And according to the GM, we were trying to get 3rd so we could get Tkachuk.

It seems odd that we didn't try to trade with VAN if we wanted Tkachuk.

We knew EDM was running to get Pooly.

If we didn't know the name, there would be zero pressure to draft Iggy Jr.

We never drafted the original.

I think the fan expectations would be through the roof and he would have a tough time.

This fanbase is like Toronto at times; we pick a player to weard the goat horns.

I am quite happy to draft a guy nobody really knows.

Hage has quite the story; tough breaks to the kid at a young age.

SOunds like a great kid to draft at 28, LOL.

Only way he makes it to the Flames is we trade up to get 21 or 10 of the first 15 players are well above their rankings.  I could see 5, but not 10.  Then again, what do the scouts know.  LOL

I think the Flames fanbase is totally overvaluing Tij.

he is really good and well-deserving of being picked. But if his name wasn’t Iginla, nobody in the fan base is pounding the table for him.

If you compare him to Catton. Theres no question who the better player is, it’s Catton. He’s someone that played centre, both sides of special teams and had to provide all the offence for his team. Tij scored 47, Catton got 54.

Not that I would be unhappy with Iginla, but there are better players available. It’s just that this fan base really loves the dad, they want the kid to be a Flame too. I get it. I just think the expectations will be insane. His dad is the best player in franchise history, chances are he won’t be as good as his dad. That will be a disappointment in the eyes of some.

Getting long winded here, but yeah, I hope he’s gone before 9 and I think the Flames/Iginla’s hope so too.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

he is really good and well-deserving of being picked. But if his name wasn’t Iginla, nobody in the fan base is pounding the table for him.

If you compare him to Catton. Theres no question who the better player is, it’s Catton. He’s someone that played centre, both sides of special teams and had to provide all the offence for his team. Tij scored 47, Catton got 54.

Not that I would be unhappy with Iginla, but there are better players available. It’s just that this fan base really loves the dad, they want the kid to be a Flame too. I get it. I just think the expectations will be insane. His dad is the best player in franchise history, chances are he won’t be as good as his dad. That will be a disappointment in the eyes of some.

Getting long winded here, but yeah, I hope he’s gone before 9 and I think the Flames/Iginla’s hope so too.

Would we be waiting for Johnny Hockey's kid to start playing?

JH was set to beat Iggy in a lot of franchise records, if only he had signed.

There are for sure cases when the kid turns out to be better than the dad.

But I think a lot of that is due to the kid playing in an easier league.

You don't have head hunter D men near as much.

A small player can actually score 40 goals.

Anyway, I am just not as hung up on the player as a lot of fans.

If some of the players ranked top 6 drop to us, I would seriously be looking at them.

Iggy seems like the safe pick, and yes I know he's really good.

But these are juniors.

He is not his father.

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Would we be waiting for Johnny Hockey's kid to start playing?

JH was set to beat Iggy in a lot of franchise records, if only he had signed.

There are for sure cases when the kid turns out to be better than the dad.

But I think a lot of that is due to the kid playing in an easier league.

You don't have head hunter D men near as much.

A small player can actually score 40 goals.

Anyway, I am just not as hung up on the player as a lot of fans.

If some of the players ranked top 6 drop to us, I would seriously be looking at them.

Iggy seems like the safe pick, and yes I know he's really good.

But these are juniors.

He is not his father.

I just hope we don't trade up to draft him.  I think there are teams leaking false rumours to make Conroy trade up but at the end of the day, no one ahead of us is actually going to act on that.  Lindstrom and Demidov are clearly better.  Catton is a better player overall.  Sennecke is about the same as Tij and he's bigger and RHS.  Helenius is a RHS C. 

So I think Iginla will still be there at 9.

Besides, we need a D more than a LW.  One of Dickinson or Silayev could be there.  They may not be true stud #1 but they are top pair guys.  We need that in about 4-5 years.

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I just hope we don't trade up to draft him.  I think there are teams leaking false rumours to make Conroy trade up but at the end of the day, no one ahead of us is actually going to act on that.  Lindstrom and Demidov are clearly better.  Catton is a better player overall.  Sennecke is about the same as Tij and he's bigger and RHS.  Helenius is a RHS C. 

Besides, we need a D more than a LW.  One of Dickinson or Silayev could be there.  They may not be true stud #1 but they are top pair guys.  We need that in about 4-5 years.

Okay, cool.  I am for sure less interested in a LHS LW than others in that range.  I want Demidov as the first available C/RW.  But I am not deluded.  Unless the Russian factor scares of 7 other teams, he ain't falling.

17 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Tij is a actually a Ctr which we need way more than D 

45 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Tij is a actually a Ctr which we need way more than D 

When was he not playing wing when a better center was at the ready?

Not a popular opinion...I'd take Greentree before Senneke in a heartbeat.

Imagine a year of Greentree if he had any kind of talent around him. Senneke had solid teammates around him. Greentree, nothing of note.

I'm not buying the Senneke hype. I'd love Callum Ritchie though.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Imagine a year of Greentree if he had any kind of talent around him. Senneke had solid teammates around him. Greentree, nothing of note.

Yes 100% with you on Ritchie.

as far as I can tell from remarks

from Conroy…Sorry but you’d be disappointed, Cgy is targeting guys less physically developed which Senneke seems not fit that mold

better than Greentree.

i have a feeling Cgy targets Ctrs for the next few years…they have been adding alot of young D prospects in the trades which is smart cause they usually take a few more years to develop….

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Spellacy in the later rounds?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Good discussion but I’m not on board that Catton is clearly the better player.  Also, I believe Iginla’s game will translate better to the NHL than Catton’s.  pretty close though.

55 minutes ago, cberg said:

Good discussion but I’m not on board that Catton is clearly the better player.  Also, I believe Iginla’s game will translate better to the NHL than Catton’s.  pretty close though.

It’s fair to say who will translate better to the NHL.

Both players have played two years in the WHL. 175pts for Catron, 1.25pts per game. Iginla has 103pts, good for .9 points per game. Catton is the better junior player. Will it carry over? Hard to say.

I had to look it up, for interest’s sake, and remembering Detroit moving pick #43 to Nashville last year for pick #47 and a 5th rd pick (147th oa).

So for us at 41 to move it up a bit or down a bit, I would think that's about the price. No 5th rder, so to move up would be one of our 4th rd picks. Maybe we also get a 7th, unless we're pushing up maybe 6 spots.

Fun to hypothesize when we actually have draft capital. :)

On 6/20/2024 at 12:04 AM, Thebrewcrew said:

Not long-winded enough!! Great post. I have had him and Greentree neck-and-neck for months. I seriously ignore tourney data. Iginla has gotten seriously boosted from a tournament. Greentree downgraded.

Have these media-types never actually played in a hockey tournament? I have no idea why any tournament has anything to do with scouting. Sure, they're all there because all the prospects are there.

It adds or subtracts zero to an NHL scout that has been tracking the player regularly.

Yet every guesser uses it as a major stock driver.

Craig Button, I'm looking at you. List-to-list, you literally float in the wind and completely forget what you thought 2 weeks ago. lol

If Tod were like you, the backlash from his scouts would be devastating.

Super nice guy though, I'll give him that. Not a pretentious a-hole like some Bob Mc...err, scouting types I've met.

11 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It’s fair to say who will translate better to the NHL.

Both players have played two years in the WHL. 175pts for Catron, 1.25pts per game. Iginla has 103pts, good for .9 points per game. Catton is the better junior player. Will it carry over? Hard to say.

It’s also fair to say, Catton is smaller by a large margin, we have done the small player thing and it’s ok as a side kick on the wing to bigger Ctrs and a bigger opposite Winger…

as a top line second line Ctr all the skill in the world won’t help when a 225lb 6’3 Ctr pushes you off the puck in the FO circle 

19 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Actually yes he is, he shifted to the wing this year but wants to play Ctr again…

While true, begs the question where he is best? The Rockets moved him to the wing so they could pair him with Szturc, who is not a bad player in his own right. So while you can make the argument that he can shift back I don't think you can do so while ignoring the fact that his game shot up on the wing.  I don't thikn we are talking about him as a top 10 pick if he had of stayed at center. 

I actually do think Iginla could play center and can likely play it in the NHL too but I don't think it's where your going to maximize his offense.  I think his ceiling is lower if you keep him at center. 

FWIW, he's going to play center (at least to start) next year in Kelowna and that is his preferred position but even his dad admits he may have to shift to wing long term. 

2 hours ago, MP5029 said:

It’s also fair to say, Catton is smaller by a large margin, we have done the small player thing and it’s ok as a side kick on the wing to bigger Ctrs and a bigger opposite Winger…

as a top line second line Ctr all the skill in the world won’t help when a 225lb 6’3 Ctr pushes you off the puck in the FO circle 

Catton is 5'-11" 170 lbs

Iginla is 6'-0" 190 lbs

I don't think Catton is smaller by a large margin.  Tij is just average NHL size.  Catton will also muscle up over the next 2 years before he plays in the NHL.  Catton has more skills, tools, and has more proven stats over the past two years.

18 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Catton is 5'-11" 170 lbs

Iginla is 6'-0" 190 lbs

I don't think Catton is smaller by a large margin.  Tij is just average NHL size.  Catton will also muscle up over the next 2 years before he plays in the NHL.  Catton has more skills, tools, and has more proven stats over the past two years.

Ok not a large margin height wise, weight wise there is, and Tij will get bigger too…Catton we have had in The past several times on the wings and we are always out muscled….

Tij is more the player you build

around, Catton is a nice skill

add if your missing that in the line up 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

While true, begs the question where he is best? The Rockets moved him to the wing so they could pair him with Szturc, who is not a bad player in his own right. So while you can make the argument that he can shift back I don't think you can do so while ignoring the fact that his game shot up on the wing.  I don't thikn we are talking about him as a top 10 pick if he had of stayed at center. 

I actually do think Iginla could play center and can likely play it in the NHL too but I don't think it's where your going to maximize his offense.  I think his ceiling is lower if you keep him at center. 

FWIW, he's going to play center (at least to start) next year in Kelowna and that is his preferred position but even his dad admits he may have to shift to wing long term. 

I figured this would be the next point, my counter point to this is Lindholm…Ctr in Car, became RW and scored a lot better then shifted back to Ctr and was better Ctr for it….