2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

Goalies and the draft:    And...the KHL.

Man.   I have never seen such a buildup as right now.  I could list 5 goalies in KHL we could be considering with quite low rankings, all things considered.

I hope we take advantage of it.   A lot of talk on here about D versus center, and rightfully so with our top pick.   But after that, I think the goalie situation is under-rated this year, specifically with regards to over-agers, and Russia/baltic.

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/794506/pavel-moysevich

How is that guy rated so low?  Answer:  over-age, and KHL.

who cares.

Let's get him.  lol

Based on what I've seen, it looks like the best goalies in this draft tend to be smaller.  Like 6'-0"... Those posted the best stats/numbers.  As the goalie gets bigger, especially 6'-5", it's sub .900% and losing records.

53 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Based on what I've seen, it looks like the best goalies in this draft tend to be smaller.  Like 6'-0"... Those posted the best stats/numbers.  As the goalie gets bigger, especially 6'-5", it's sub .900% and losing records.

I've seen that too, except this this guy.

1 minute ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Really strange trade for Chicago. Also not sure why you would make that trade now, why not wait and see how the 1st round plays out.

9 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Really strange trade for Chicago. Also not sure why you would make that trade now, why not wait and see how the 1st round plays out.

It feels like an NFL trade. It’s really the only league where you see pick swaps happen a ways from the draft.

I think it’s really NYI trying to add a pick. They’ve traded so many in recent years.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It's a two way street though.  If the other team can see how the draft is playing out, then they may back out of the trade.

I think Chicago wins this but I can see both sides.

They move up 2 spots, and their 2nd round pick moves up 4 spots.   For us, not much difference between 18 and 20.  But they Should, by rights, have better resolution with a scouting team.    If they see a dropoff, or they have a guy or two in mind who they expect to just barely miss, go for it.

Just, nobody tell them about the 2017 draft lol

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2017e.html

I wonder if Chicago is looking to make a move for more immediate help and think 18 presents a better trade chip.  Cue the insert Flames player to Chicago for #18 talk. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Pretty steep price for moving 2 picks in the first and 4 in the second. 

Speaks to what I've heard about this draft though. Top heavy for the most part. 

Steep price.  Just wait until we see the Flames acquire another top 10 pick.

13 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Steep price.  Just wait until we see the Flames acquire another top 10 pick.

Seems like a strange move, especially considering it is still over a month till the draft.  Smells like another trade pending and they needed to upgrade a bit to make it happen?

38 minutes ago, cberg said:

Seems like a strange move, especially considering it is still over a month till the draft.  Smells like another trade pending and they needed to upgrade a bit to make it happen?

I think it’s mostly NYI looking to pick up an extra pick. 

The haven’t had many picks lately. This gives them three picks in the top 61. Which is something they haven’t done since 2018

1 hour ago, cberg said:

So what are you thinking…18th OA for Markstrom? 

3 hours ago, MP5029 said:

So what are you thinking…18th OA for Markstrom? 

That would be in the ballpark, but I don’t think Chicago is in the goalie market right now…

44 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Maybe recency bias has Parekh off the board before 9th

I would love that.

Oh boy, Moose Jaw really needs to come back with an accounting. I'm sure they will.

The Sting would have faired a lot better, for godsakes.

Pull it together, dub, I'm losing respect.

Oh wait, the O is way superior, what was I thinking?  lol

Numbers game.

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I would love that.

Oh boy, Moose Jaw really needs to come back with an accounting. I'm sure they will.

The Sting would have faired a lot better, for godsakes.

Pull it together, dub, I'm losing respect.

Oh wait, the O is way superior, what was I thinking?  lol

Numbers game.

It's been such a rough stretch for the Dub at the Mem Cup. 

MJ beat three really great teams in the playoffs. They certainly have the ability.

I think they beat Saginaw if they get another crack at them again. I'm thinking Moose Jaw and London in the final.

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

It's been such a rough stretch for the Dub at the Mem Cup. 

MJ beat three really great teams in the playoffs. They certainly have the ability.

I think they beat Saginaw if they get another crack at them again. I'm thinking Moose Jaw and London in the final.

I'm just the Ont. guy talking smack. lol

MJ sure came out tentative and never really snapped out of it.

KHL save percentages are ridiculous.

There are two KHL goalies that will be drafted this year. Ilya Nabokov and Pavel Moysevich. I would be interested in either if I were the Flames.

Nabokov had a .930 in 43 games. Moysevich was at .942 in only 13 games.

There are TEN goalies in the KHL with a save percentage of at least .930!

Fifty goalies have at least a .900. Former Flame, Artyom Zagidulin is at .914 for some context.

Both goalies are overagers for the draft. Nabokov is about the same size as Wolf. Moysevich is really big. 

Just crazy the goalie stats in the KHL. It's been on my radar for a while actually. When Zagidulin came to NA, he had awesome numbers in Russia. 

• Like 1

If it's not a good goalie year then don't force the issue.  Just go with the strength of the draft.  If this draft is good for D, then pick a bunch of D. 

At the end of the day, the Flames need everything but we can't fix everything in one draft.

17 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

If it's not a good goalie year then don't force the issue.  Just go with the strength of the draft.  If this draft is good for D, then pick a bunch of D. 

At the end of the day, the Flames need everything but we can't fix everything in one draft.

Same. There are some intriguing forwards in the 25-60 range, but there seems to still be a lot of the 2nd and 3rd layers of dmen. I think D should be the priority, but if you can sneak in Catton, Misa, O'Reilly, Miettinen I wouldn't be against that.

What the 9 pick is position-wise would really dictate the next few picks for me. Everyone should be thankful that Conroy won't be calling me before every pick. lol

Some would prolly say I talk more than him, so that could go on forever.