2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

16 hours ago, cberg said:

If Helenius is the same it would be a big 1st round failure for the Flames.  

Man, are you ever driving right down the middle of Disappointment Blvd. lol

If you think a Lindholm-type would be a failure, wait until we end up with Juolevi at D or

Kakko at wing.

Not 1 of these players is guaranteed any success. Lindholm should be considered a win. The alternative is terrifying.

• Like 1

The lottery was absolutely perfect to me. I hope it's that way every time. The algorithm finally worked.

End false narratives and pretexts from fans whose teams aren't dying in the gutter.

So c'mon Van, jump that Jersey 3rd up about 13 picks and lose to Dallas in the WCF. It's all we've got left!! *the Avs are terrifying

Scout's Analysis: 18 prospects who could be lottery picks (sportsnet.ca)

Jason Bukala has Iginla 5th on his rankings, Yakemchuk at 9.

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov

3. Levshunov

4. Buium

5. Iginla

6. Parekh

7. Silayev

8. Dickinson

9. Yakemchuk

10. Catton

11. Lindstrom

12. Greentree

13. Eiserman

14. Helenius

15. Sennecke

16. Brandsegg-Nygard

17. Luchanko

18. Connelly

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov

3. Levshunov

4. Buium

5. Iginla

6. Parekh

7. Silayev

8. Dickinson

9. Yakemchuk

10. Catton

11. Lindstrom

12. Greentree

13. Eiserman

14. Helenius

15. Sennecke

16. Brandsegg-Nygard

17. Luchanko

18. Connelly

Assuming Buium, Dickinson, and Iginla are gone by 9... Yes, Yakemchuk please.

Lindstrom at 11 though.  Is he damaged goods?  Why drop so much?

11 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Man, are you ever driving right down the middle of Disappointment Blvd. lol

If you think a Lindholm-type would be a failure, wait until we end up with Juolevi at D or

Kakko at wing.

Not 1 of these players is guaranteed any success. Lindholm should be considered a win. The alternative is terrifying.

That is very true, there are no guarantees and many don’t work out.  However, what kind of a cruel joke is it if we have 3 years of such “winning” and end up with the same mushy middle, non-Cup competitive team we’ve had for the past 35 years (2004 lightning in a bottle excepted)?  Don’t know about you but I don’t have that long to wait for success.  Going for broke, only 1 team wins every year, disappointed is hockey’s middle name.  

1 hour ago, cberg said:

That is very true, there are no guarantees and many don’t work out.  However, what kind of a cruel joke is it if we have 3 years of such “winning” and end up with the same mushy middle, non-Cup competitive team we’ve had for the past 35 years (2004 lightning in a bottle excepted)?  Don’t know about you but I don’t have that long to wait for success.  Going for broke, only 1 team wins every year, disappointed is hockey’s middle name.  

Well, I'll tell ya. These kids don't want to fail and they are all great players. 96 is probably as good as 3 on any given night. It's kind of one of those things. You have to figure out the person that you're drafting as much as the player.

As an aside, I doubt many teams are doing that well enough. That takes financing also/too, whichever word suits better.

Honestly, all I know, and my opinion, is the draft needs to be pushed back a year. Everyone born in 2005 should be up now. 2006, next year. I really hoped that Auston Matthews' predicament mattered.

But the NHL is really just a bunch of old, useless Blockchains that just want to cash in. In my opinion, of course.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Well, I'll tell ya. These kids don't want to fail and they are all great players. 96 is probably as good as 3 on any given night. It's kind of one of those things. You have to figure out the person that you're drafting as much as the player.

As an aside, I doubt many teams are doing that well enough. That takes financing also/too, whichever word suits better.

Honestly, all I know, and my opinion, is the draft needs to be pushed back a year. Everyone born in 2005 should be up now. 2006, next year. I really hoped that Auston Matthews' predicament mattered.

But the NHL is really just a bunch of old, useless Blockchains that just want to cash in. In my opinion, of course.

Agree fully the draft should be moved back a year.  Absolutely, better for everyone.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Moved back.. as in drafting these kids when they're 19 instead of 18? 

Interesting idea for sure.

• Like 1

Completely fantasyland here, but getting 10th from NJ would be sweet.

Not getting 10 for Markstrom straight up. Would have to be something like the VAN pick, 41st and Markstrom at 3m to get a conversation started.

Would ownership sign off on eating 6m over the next two seasons? If the Flames want to turn this around quick, two top ten picks should really help. Buium and Catton or Dickinson and Helenius. Fun to think about.

NJ is a win now team. They're young and essentially set in the top six and top nine, to a degree. They trade down roughly fifteen spots. Re-coup a second that they previously didn't have and get a legit #1 goalie for 3 mill. I would probably include a 3rd if need be, to get it done.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

1. Celebrini

2. Demidov

3. Levshunov

4. Buium

5. Iginla

6. Parekh

7. Silayev

8. Dickinson

9. Yakemchuk

10. Catton

11. Lindstrom

12. Greentree

13. Eiserman

14. Helenius

15. Sennecke

16. Brandsegg-Nygard

17. Luchanko

18. Connelly

If the picks went like that, I’d bet Conroy would be sprinting up to the podium to scream “Lindstrom!”

29 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But why are 8 teams passing on him?

Two years in a row he's sucked in the playoffs.  weird.  hard read.   

Injury gamble, same as Honzek, but hand/wrist surgery here.  If the injury fully recovers he could be right up there with Cellebrini.   If it doesn't he may never see an NHL game.     I'd say it's worth the gamble if he wasn't another LW.  Would need more info then we will ever get.

While I fundamentally don't believe in targeting D unless a tie...D seems highly likely.   So many of these teams will take the forwards because they aren't very smart teams to begin with (which is why they are picking so high lol)

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Two years in a row he's sucked in the playoffs.  weird.  hard read.   

Injury gamble, same as Honzek, but hand/wrist surgery here.  If the injury fully recovers he could be right up there with Cellebrini.   If it doesn't he may never see an NHL game.     I'd say it's worth the gamble if he wasn't another LW.  Would need more info then we will ever get.

While I fundamentally don't believe in targeting D unless a tie...D seems highly likely.   So many of these teams will take the forwards because they aren't very smart teams to begin with (which is why they are picking so high lol)

His highlights look too good.  Write up says wrist/hand injury.  No logical reason he's still there at 9 unless his wrist are never 100% again.

He's also listed as a Center on some sites so maybe he can play both.

54 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But why are 8 teams passing on him?

Just watched a YT interview with Craig Button, him claiming there are 6 equal D, just depends on what you need/value.  

17 minutes ago, cberg said:

Just watched a YT interview with Craig Button, him claiming there are 6 equal D, just depends on what you need/value.  

It sure feels like the D are closely matched.  Yet, all 6 are so different.  Silayev is a giant with great skating.  Parekh and Yakemchuk are offensive minded and can score but have defensive warts.  Buium is a playmaker/passer type.  Dickinson and Levshunov are hybrid who can do everything at a pretty high level. 

Mix in LHS vs RHS.  We could see 6 D drafted in the top 10 in any order imaginable.  Don't think we've ever seen that before.

5 hours ago, The_People1 said:

It sure feels like the D are closely matched.  Yet, all 6 are so different.  Silayev is a giant with great skating.  Parekh and Yakemchuk are offensive minded and can score but have defensive warts.  Buium is a playmaker/passer type.  Dickinson and Levshunov are hybrid who can do everything at a pretty high level. 

Mix in LHS vs RHS.  We could see 6 D drafted in the top 10 in any order imaginable.  Don't think we've ever seen that before.

some possible learnings from 2012.  both good and bad

With Lindstrom, I believe there was a wrist injury. The second issue was a back issue, that occurred during off-ice training.

Neither are believed to be chronic. He will be off the board way before the Flames pick.

Power forward that can fly. Plays with an edge. Almost scored a goal a game.

Lindstrom gives me big=good vibes. I'm not going to deny he is talented, he for sure is. Does his talent match a top 10 pick? I'm not so sure myself. Reminds me a lot of Micheal Rasmussen. 

Not a bad player to have and size down the middle is something all teams are looking for so I get it but it's not the direction i'd go, especially when you consider injuries. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cberg said:

But we're likely to be having decent drafts through '26 and some things may fall into your lap on the way. This is only 1 draft. We won't be fixing everything this year alone. Next year's draft will pull in more good prospects.

53 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

With Lindstrom, I believe there was a wrist injury. The second issue was a back issue, that occurred during off-ice training.

Neither are believed to be chronic. He will be off the board way before the Flames pick.

You've encapsulated all the issues, both good and bad.  So what you believe or shrug off will determine your rating of him.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Reminds me a lot of Micheal Rasmussen.

HEY!! lol

Good point and I'm pretty on the fence myself. Ras is now most effective as a LWer. 3rd line but could potentially get to 2nd. Veleno bothers me more. I like him, but he's trapped at 4C. I'd like him in Calgary to C Zary and Pospisil. I think that would be a great, "hard game" line. I love the Wings, but my biggest annoyance is Copp ahead of Veleno. Copp's a floater.

I feel like Lindstrom is fairly risky.

25 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

But we're likely to be having decent drafts through '26 and some things may fall into your lap on the way. This is only 1 draft. We won't be fixing everything this year alone. Next year's draft will pull in more good prospects.

Yes that is very true, but the point is I'd be looking at a higher risk Trifecta of Highest Ceiling picks versus just a bunch of good players.  Nobody knows what any of these players will be, but at least it gives me a chance.

With this philosophy, I'm downgrading Helenius, Parekh(minimal D is required), Dickenson, Lindstrom(fully mature already, injuries)and Greentree, then upgrading Iginla, Silayev, Buium, Letorneau and Catton. Also adding Luchanko, Beaudoin, Emery, Stiga and Hutson to upgrades based on U18 performances...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Lindstrom gives me big=good vibes. I'm not going to deny he is talented, he for sure is. Does his talent match a top 10 pick? I'm not so sure myself. Reminds me a lot of Micheal Rasmussen. 

Not a bad player to have and size down the middle is something all teams are looking for so I get it but it's not the direction i'd go, especially when you consider injuries. 

I don’t disagree, but for me I think the injuries are the biggest factor. I think the skating ability and talent are there it’s more is he able to put it together and stay healthy.

I see him closer to a Byfield light. Rasmussen wasn’t a great skater and was always going to be a net front scorer, Lindstrom has more dimensions to his game than Rasmussen.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Seems crazy to think Lindstrom will still be there at 9 but if Utah, OTT, and SEA are committed to taking a D, then perhaps.  CBJ seems to be interested in taking Silayev.  It comes down to which F MTL decides to draft.  Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, or Eiserman.

SJS - Celebrini

CHI - Demidov

ANA - Levshunov 

CBJ - Silayev

MTL - Iginla

Utah - Buium

OTT - Parekh 

SEA - Dickinson