2024 NHL draft - A New Hope

jjgallow

18 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I was trying to think of a scenario that would actually piss off every single one of us, but is still plausible.

I've come up with:

Winning the lottery, and picking Tij.

watch for it.

Well now hold the phone here a second…this may be a sensible move if some team wants Celebrini bad enough if (huge if) Cgy won 1st overall…it’s probably gonna be a top 5 team, I’d make that move in exchange for a 2025 first and their 2024 first…odds are it’s gonna be a top 10 pick in 2025 and that’s the cost id ask for Celebrini…then take Tij…i don’t think it’s safe to draft lower on Tij…then maybe even trade up with the VCR pick and maybe Marksman for maybe top 15-10 ish? Nab a D in this draft.

reason I say this is 2025 draft is deeper in high end talent…I’m not convinced Celebrini is a top 5 in the 2025 draft.

grab Tij  maybe a top end D this draft and next draft another top 10 in a really deep draft on the top end…

IDK if other teams would be willing to pay a 2025 unprotected first for Celebrini but if they are willing I’d say that’s a smart move…

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Well now hold the phone here a second…this may be a sensible move if some team wants Celebrini bad enough if (huge if) Cgy won 1st overall…it’s probably gonna be a top 5 team, I’d make that move in exchange for a 2025 first and their 2024 first…odds are it’s gonna be a top 10 pick in 2025 and that’s the cost id ask for Celebrini…then take Tij…i don’t think it’s safe to draft lower on Tij…then maybe even trade up with the VCR pick and maybe Marksman for maybe top 15-10 ish? Nab a D in this draft.

reason I say this is 2025 draft is deeper in high end talent…I’m not convinced Celebrini is a top 5 in the 2025 draft.

grab Tij  maybe a top end D this draft and next draft another top 10 in a really deep draft on the top end…

IDK if other teams would be willing to pay a 2025 unprotected first for Celebrini but if they are willing I’d say that’s a smart move…

As oft mentioned by @cross16, draft picks are expensive at draft time.  Just like average players are expensive at TDL.

Historically, teams have often done well selling high, high picks IF they are Very smart about it and don't just sell it for a quick patch solution.   The Lindros sweepstakes do come to mind.

I'd be okay with a Small downgrade, yes, to either first first top D, or Tij, or better yet somehow both. 

But that's not what I'm talking about ha.   I'm talking about Tij 1st overall, done deal, with familly pics and smiles.

Oh yeah.  lol

57 minutes ago, MP5029 said:

Agree with all the above, with all the hype about Celebrini one would think it very possible to slide down at least one pick.  Talking about Tij, I was reading an analyst/scout(?) comparing him to Brad Marchand of the Bruins, which kind of surprised me because I thought he was more like his dad instead… a big strong power forward.  Any insights anyone?

1 hour ago, cberg said:

Agree with all the above, with all the hype about Celebrini one would think it very possible to slide down at least one pick.  Talking about Tij, I was reading an analyst/scout(?) comparing him to Brad Marchand of the Bruins, which kind of surprised me because I thought he was more like his dad instead… a big strong power forward.  Any insights anyone?

Craig Button used Marchand as a comparison. It's not a great comp. You aren't getting any of the antics that Marchand brings. I think it's more a comp in terms of hockey sense, skating stride. The closest similarity to his dad would be his shot and his ability to find holes on a goalie. You're not getting the edge or physicality that Jarome had.

If I was holding the #1 pick, I would have almost zero interest in moving it. Especially, if it were the Flames. Celebrini projects very much like a #1 C and franchise player. Yes, there may be better players selected in this draft than Celebrini, but based on the body of work thus far, right now Celebrini is that guy.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Craig Button used Marchand as a comparison. It's not a great comp. You aren't getting any of the antics that Marchand brings. I think it's more a comp in terms of hockey sense, skating stride. The closest similarity to his dad would be his shot and his ability to find holes on a goalie. You're not getting the edge or physicality that Jarome had.

If I was holding the #1 pick, I would have almost zero interest in moving it. Especially, if it were the Flames. Celebrini projects very much like a #1 C and franchise player. Yes, there may be better players selected in this draft than Celebrini, but based on the body of work thus far, right now Celebrini is that guy.

He looks a lot like his Dad along the boards to me, which was really a big strength of Jarome.

The day of 12-round fights for star players, is probably over and probably should be for all players, that's not what the first round is for if any of them.    I don't really get the Marchand comparison because I don't think Jarome would be racking up the penalty minutes the same way in today's game either.   to me I see a LOT of his Dad, playing in a diffferent era.

• Like 1

How low can we go?

I feel a bit ashamed/dirty looking for us to lose.  I know the players are professionals and will try their hardest every game but I really wouldn't mind them losing the next 9.

Anyone with a hint of injury should be shut down to rest for next season. 

8th pick currently and I'm guessing 6th pick is a possiblity but cannot see us getting better than that.

We'll probably go on and end of season tear win 7 of 9 and picked 15/16th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocketdoctor said:

How low can we go?

I feel a bit ashamed/dirty looking for us to lose.  I know the players are professionals and will try their hardest every game but I really wouldn't mind them losing the next 9.

8th pick currently and I'm guessing 6th pick is a possiblity but cannot see us getting better than that.

Agreed and unfortunately I can see the win streak too…but it would be smart to shut down injuries and as fans hope for close tight losses.  Get as high a pick as possible at this point IMO 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

If the Flames win the lottery they must pick Celebrini, those opportunities are rare, unless the scouts are in unison about another C, like Demidov or Tij… I hope they trade for another 1st or move up the VCR 1st to get one of 4-5 excellent D prospects. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

How low can we go?

It is a tough one.  This team is capable of a longish streak either way.  Best guess is 0.500

1 minute ago, cberg said:

If the Flames win the lottery they must pick Celebrini, those opportunities are rare, unless the scouts are in unison about another C, like Demidov or Tij… I hope they trade for another 1st or move up the VCR 1st to get one of 4-5 excellent D prospects. 

Oh yeah. Celebrini is the #1 oa, and it's not even close. He's jumping leagues like candy. I think I'd become solely Wings fan if Feaster Conroy started playing that 4D chess Satoshi Nakamoto.

You don't trade Steve Yzerman or Jonathan Toews comparables. Not ever.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

Oh yeah. Celebrini is the #1 oa, and it's not even close. He's jumping leagues like candy. I think I'd become solely Wings fan if Feaster Conroy started playing that 4D chess Satoshi Nakamoto.

But Shane Wright was also #1 oa that wasn't.

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

How low can we go?

Most likely 5-4 the rest of the way and pick 12 overall.  It's still in range for a good prospect.

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Most likely 5-4 the rest of the way and pick 12 overall.  It's still in range for a good prospect.

Biggest difference between 8 and 12 is at 8, we get choices.  At 12, we just take whoever falls to us.

1 hour ago, cberg said:

If there is a specific player available earlier that we know won't reach us, I can see offering a 3rd or later to move up, but we aren't talking about moving to the top 15.

What would we be able to trade to get an additional 1st?  Markstrom holds the greatest value that we are willing to part with.  Other than that, I don't see it.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

You might have to think about it if your option was a Jerome Iginla comparable.  Since SY & JT are true Centres you’d likely flip between the two.  Again, Flames need to obtain a second high 1st.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

5 wins is pretty ambitious.  There is a B2B that I would consider a schedule loss.  Add that 2 to WPG, EDM and VAN games.  The 3 home games against the spoiler teams might be wins, but I think that's also not a given.   Currently we sit at 8th.  It's just as likely we only keep pace at 8th.  

7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If there is a specific player available earlier that we know won't reach us, I can see offering a 3rd or later to move up, but we aren't talking about moving to the top 15.

What would we be able to trade to get an additional 1st?  Markstrom holds the greatest value that we are willing to part with.  Other than that, I don't see it.

In a perfect world, we leave this draft with a future #1D and Tij.  But we need to get another 10-12th pick in order to draft Tij.

Andersson + Canuck's 1st... Hopefully to BUF for their 10-12th.  

1 minute ago, travel_dude said:

5 wins is pretty ambitious.  There is a B2B that I would consider a schedule loss.  Add that 2 to WPG, EDM and VAN games.  The 3 home games against the spoiler teams might be wins, but I think that's also not a given.   Currently we sit at 8th.  It's just as likely we only keep pace at 8th.  

ANA X2

SJS X2

No other team has as easy a schedule to end their season.  Tonight's game against ANA is a must-lose.

Just now, The_People1 said:

In a perfect world, we leave this draft with a future #1D and Tij.  But we need to get another 10-12th pick in order to draft Tij.

Andersson + Canuck's 1st... Hopefully to BUF for their 10-12th.  

Iggy, Iggy, Iggy....

I hope we don't draft him.

I think we have pressing issues not solved by drafting based on a name.

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

But Shane Wright was also #1 oa that wasn't.

The reasons are bleeding out of Wright. So you could say that the scouts identified them. Nobody is throwing questions around about Celebrini. There is zero doubt.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think tonight’s game will be pretty telling.  If they lose it’ll foretell a majority of losses till the end.  If they win and reinforce that winning feeling it’ll be mostly wins.  

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Iggy, Iggy, Iggy....

I hope we don't draft him.

I think we have pressing issues not solved by drafting based on a name.

If only based on a name, the choice would be easy, but he’s right in the mix.  My view is we need to get two top12 1sts.  Figure it out.  If, and that’s a big if Tij turns out like his dad and Flames passed on him… that would be hard to take.

15 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

ANA X2

SJS X2

No other team has as easy a schedule to end their season.  Tonight's game against ANA is a must-lose.

Already lost to the Sharks this year, maybe they add Smith by the end of the year.  Anaheim the 2nd game is the second half of a back to back.  Lost an uninspired game to Chicago a week ago, I don't take much from the one win in the last week, my main takeaway from it is I don't feel the Kings are in for a long run.

• Like 1