GDT: Flames vs Jets - 11-Oct-23

Kulstad

14 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Ho hum, went kind of like you'd expect a 1st game to go..

With the exception of Markstrom.   I didn't expect that lol

Markstrom stole zero games last season.  Also has one in the first game of this season.  The Flames will make the playoffs if he keeps this going.

Call it a steal for Markstrom.

Pretty decent job of getting in Hellebuyk's way. A ways to go defensively. Not a fan of line blenders 1 period into the season with your brand new lines. A win's a win. Take it and move on. Could be a bit of a Satoshi Nakamotoshow for the 1st 10-odd games finding the system and new guys adjusting in.

I can't really blame Oesterle on the Connor goal. Connor was still pretty high in the zone. He just did what Kyle Connor does.

AJ so close with the Flames 1st goal of the season.

I bickered about Mangiapane and maybe I should keep it up.lol

We didn't play very well, but the Jets played quite well. At least we're not the Oilers.

No BTCin' about Sutter either this game is a real breath of fresh air.

Lots to clean up but overall we will get better, take the win (thanks to Markstrom) "another breath of fresh air" comment, so looking ahead moving forward we got allot of the right pieces.  Hopefully this team can be coached in a new direction to clean the D-Zone up abit. Next game Pitts. "bring it on"!

Note: Coronato really impressed me.

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Osterle is horrible.  Bad gap control on the Connor goal but just bad reads in general.  Already can't trust him after 1 game.  Gilbert is more steady.

I think it's a work in progress with him fitting the Flames and them adjusting to zone defense.  Gilbert was steady last year but not that good.  We really need to get Kylington back to adjust the pairs.  

Conroy specifically singled out Osterle as someone he was really happy with in camp so I think the leash is going to be long there. I wish would they would have gone with Solyvov but such is life. 

But at the same time I'm not sure there was a player last night I would say was good. Some were worse than others but it was overall a really poorly played game it's hard for me to point the finger at any one individual. 

I also think we need to give the Jets some credit, they played very well. Great puck movement that was very quick that really put the Flames on their heels and I thought it really stressed the communication of the Flames and players were just sort of stuck on their heels with their heads spinning. Poor breakouts made it worse, but I do think the Jets did a really nice job of attacking the Flames and deserve some credit for how the game played out. 

56 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Conroy specifically singled out Osterle as someone he was really happy with in camp so I think the leash is going to be long there. I wish would they would have gone with Solyvov but such is life. 

But at the same time I'm not sure there was a player last night I would say was good. Some were worse than others but it was overall a really poorly played game it's hard for me to point the finger at any one individual. 

I also think we need to give the Jets some credit, they played very well. Great puck movement that was very quick that really put the Flames on their heels and I thought it really stressed the communication of the Flames and players were just sort of stuck on their heels with their heads spinning. Poor breakouts made it worse, but I do think the Jets did a really nice job of attacking the Flames and deserve some credit for how the game played out. 

Fair statement.  Once we got into the O-zone, I thought we were fairly decent.  When we defensed entry, I thought we were okay.  Defending when we were not on transition that is.  Like defending entries on the PK.  

I don't have a problem with Oesterle per se, just what I saw last 2 games, one just being a pre-season game.  Need to find the best fit with him on pairs.  Weegar and Z were probably the best overall out there.  Hanifin was sketchy and Ras was good mostly, but I noticed them less except when there were mistakes.  

The Jets showed what a cohesive team looks like.  We look like we are still stuck in pre-season mode.  Unable to string together passes, poor choices.  We did have some great chances that didn't end in goals, so all is not lost.  Cleaning up the D-zone and exits is priority one.  

I maybe was impressed with Ruzicka more than I should have been.  Going back to C, he looked good.  Some good passes, good positioning and decent D-zone play.  I did see a cringe worthy back hand pass near the blue line, but it caused no problem.  Want him to be harder on the man in the O-zone.  He was good on the PP.

I'm not sure why they pulled Dube off the top line.  Maybe due to the team being owned at times, but I don't think he was the problem.  He played with Backlund half the night after that.  I can't be certain, but Mangiapane took his spot on RW.  Didn't notice exactly, just that they were playing him on the top line.  

The Kadri line seemed to be the most consistent.  With all the D-zone time, I don't know which line was the worst.  They all seemed to struggle exiting.

43 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I maybe was impressed with Ruzicka more than I should have been.  Going back to C, he looked good.  Some good passes, good positioning and decent D-zone play.  I did see a cringe worthy back hand pass near the blue line, but it caused no problem.  Want him to be harder on the man in the O-zone.  He was good on the PP.

I'm not sure why they pulled Dube off the top line.  Maybe due to the team being owned at times, but I don't think he was the problem.  He played with Backlund half the night after that.  I can't be certain, but Mangiapane took his spot on RW.  Didn't notice exactly, just that they were playing him on the top line.  

The Kadri line seemed to be the most consistent.  With all the D-zone time, I don't know which line was the worst.  They all seemed to struggle exiting.

Yeah Huska swapped Mangiapane for Dube about halfway through.

Only line change I noticed.

Paid off though IMO 

12 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Osterle is horrible.  Bad gap control on the Connor goal but just bad reads in general.  Already can't trust him after 1 game.  Gilbert is more steady.

100% I am glad I am not the only one that noticed that. He isn't that affective in my opinion, Tanev usually makes players look better but not in this instant.

I have no idea if Huska is going to be successfull or not but one thing I think is clear to me, he is very intelligent. Great mind for the game.

I hope he can motivate (really what separates the good from bad coaches for me) but I don't question his mind. This is a small thing but not many coaches would do it. 

I listened to most of the game on the radio, and was able to just catch up on the highlights. It definitely sounded like they were mostly outplayed, and that Markstrom stole the win.

Here are a couple of team positives that I think we really missed last season:

• After a bad goal, Markstrom bounced back
  • Whenever Winnipeg tied, the Flames answered back very quickly

So, that's a good start!

Love.