2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

47 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

This is more big picture than 23/24.

With Lindholm likely moving on, I wonder if the Flames will shift Zary to C, the position he was drafted as.

I'm not sure it happens this year, but maybe something they plan for heading into the summer.

Backlund/Kadri/Zary down the middle isn't elite, but should be competent. If Zary could play the middle like he has as a winger, there could be something real interesting.

That's my wonder too. Same as Sharangovich. Both are good 2-way players. Pretty much no one comes into this league good at faceoffs, it's an acquired art through experience.

Not sure how mgmt views it, but for where Zary and Sharangovich are right now, I still expect them to make solid improvements through experience alone.

We're still in a holding pattern to see what we're going to do about our UFAs and then available ones. For now, I'd suspect Zary to move to center. Pretty much a natural progression is my thought. He's pretty much proven playing wing is zero problem.

As much as many scoff at +/-, I've been watching the trend most of the season. Kadri was about -10 prior to Zary and Pospisil joining him. He's currently +1, Zary +12, Pospisil +8. Coleman is not only our points leader, but rocking a +22. Just having an unreal season. Worth his weight in gold. Backlund is +9 by comparison, so Coleman's contributions are everywhere. Also leads the team in SHG and GWG. He's been magnificent.

Mangiapane is on the rise having reunited on the 3rd line.

Hanifin is, unsurprisingly, our top Dman at +12, partnered with Tanev at +9. Weegar is +6 whereas partner Andersson is +1.

On the negative side, wherever Huberdeau goes, it's either stagnating or worsening his linemates +/-. Sharangovich at -9, now paired with Huby, is one to keep an eye on. Dube's -11 is pretty much indicative of the wretched season that he's having. His value is on death row, in a contract season of all times...

So the +/- stat is pretty much exactly what we're seeing on the ice. It's telling the story that we're seeing as it trends over time.

Just thought I'd throw this out there.

I’d be interested in trying it but in the AHL Zary played a lot on the wing. Mind you there were good centers there but the flames didn’t seem intentional

about him playing center. Always made me think they don’t necessarily see him as a center long term, which I can understand 

4 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not a line change, but Markstrom out with "minor" injury.

Vladar gets the start.

3 critical division games this week, with ARI, TOR and EDM.

None are great opportunities for Wolf, but he could have started tonight.

🤔 

50 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Not a line change, but Markstrom out with "minor" injury.

Vladar gets the start.

3 critical division games this week, with ARI, TOR and EDM.

None are great opportunities for Wolf, but he could have started tonight.

Or held out for a trade??

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Seems like a typical emergency recall situation, but not listed that way.

Let the trade banter begin....LOL

59 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Or held out for a trade??

Took longer than I expected.

Really, if he was being held out, wouldn't the great insiders have some scuttlebutt?

In a way, it's not a great time to make a change like that.

The team was less than a 500 club before the current "run".

Now they have been clipping along at closer to 600.

Would you not want to first see if this was a minor correction or the real team?

Make the change now and you see the negative impact of the trade.

Wait and you see if the team regresses anyway?

I suppose either makes sense.

You don't always wait for losses to pile up and devalue an asset.

Losses without Markstrom makes you wonder what the rest of the problems are.

Anyway, he left practice yesterday on his own, and it didn't seem connected to any GM talk.

Doesn't mean it didn't happen.

One has to wonder about his hand after losing his glove at the end of the last game.

If he was being held out for a trade the Flames wouldn't be able to us an emergency recall to get Wolf up here, which they did. 

So the Flames risk a cap violation if that was their plan. Unlikely they would do that IMO. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

If he was being held out for a trade the Flames wouldn't be able to us an emergency recall to get Wolf up here, which they did. 

So the Flames risk a cap violation if that was their plan. Unlikely they would do that IMO. 

It was obvious that it would be an emergency loan if Markstrom was injured, but it was not initially posted that way.  It showed up that way later in Capfriendly.  They tend to get it right 99% of the time, but the initial inclusion doesn't have 100% accurate details right away.

I didn't believe it to be a fake injury for a trade, only some twitter people drew that connection.

4 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I guess the trade fell apart.

Also

With the Wranglers in California this weekend I imagine a callup will happen tomorrow.  My guess would be Klapka.

Klapka matches up with Greer and Ruziicka perhaps, but Dube is still there.

Maybe just me, but I would prefer to add a skilled player to give you more options.

Coronato had a hard time keeping up with Zary and Kadri.

Pospisil adds a setup guy where Coronato is more of a shooter.

Bringing up Coronato to play 4th line minutes is not the worst thing.

The 4th line is good on the forecheck but fails to get quality chances that often.

Ruzicka might be better able to setup Coronato than LHS Dube.

Just me, I know.

You reward the guys that are your best performers.

Coronato is an All Star in the AHL.

If Pelts was ready I would suggest him.

Unfortunate turn of events for Duehr after being so good in his role last year but from the start he hasnt been able to replicate that type of game. Hopefully a stint in the A can help him get some confidence. 

I don't think your going to see Coronato called up until they can get him in a top 6 spot. I don't think Huska plays the 4th line enough for me to think putting Coronato there is a good idea. 

This might also be related to Kylington. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Unfortunate turn of events for Duehr after being so good in his role last year but from the start he hasnt been able to replicate that type of game. Hopefully a stint in the A can help him get some confidence. 

I don't think your going to see Coronato called up until they can get him in a top 6 spot. I don't think Huska plays the 4th line enough for me to think putting Coronato there is a good idea. 

This might also be related to Kylington. 

I agree that Duehr hasn't looked the same.

But, having only 12 F available is a bit risky.

Maybe related to Kylington, but why not send down one of the extra D?

I'm not sure of the waiver status right now of Oesterle and Disimone, since they were up and down. 

We have 7 that appear to all be healthy now.

Just asking, since I don't get the plan yet.

Until he clears (or claimed) i doubt we see another move.

I can see Duehr getting claimed. There are so many teams with injuries that could probably use him. 

so has Huska just not deployed the roster very well, or is the lack of a 4th line center really hurting the club?

28 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I can see Duehr getting claimed. There are so many teams with injuries that could probably use him. 

so has Huska just not deployed the roster very well, or is the lack of a 4th line center really hurting the club?

I don't know what the issue is.  Duehr hasn't been effective.

Then again, what has Dube done in 42 games?

Last time he had any points was November 24th.

Something like 23 games since he last had any points.

He's only ahead in scoring over guys that have played 28 games or less (Desimone, Duerh and Oesterle).

Overall, I am only mildly impressed with the 4th line.

Greer and Ruzicka are decent at forechecking and holding the puck.

Dube is decent defensively.

That's about it.

They tend to struggle when caught out there in the D zone.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

I agree that Duehr hasn't looked the same.

But, having only 12 F available is a bit risky.

Maybe related to Kylington, but why not send down one of the extra D?

I'm not sure of the waiver status right now of Oesterle and Disimone, since they were up and down. 

We have 7 that appear to all be healthy now.

Just asking, since I don't get the plan yet.

Until he clears (or claimed) i doubt we see another move.

Not really. They could have someone up from the A pretty quick if they needed someone. I agree they likely won't want to run with 12 for long though. 

Why not send down a D? They can't. Gilbert is heading to IR (and is hurt) so they are running at 6. Kylington's LTIR conditioning loan "should" be coming to an end soon but could be flipped to a regular conditioning loan but that would require him to go on the active roster. That would be where this move could be related to Kylington.

But it was me speculating. Looks like Gilbert went on IR shortly after they put Duehr on waivers. 

2 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I think it's honestly as simple as Duehr played over his head last year. That level of scoring he hasn't done at any level so it was a real shock to see him do it at the NHL level. 

So then your left with a player who need to bring it 100% every single night to be effective and that's really tough to maintain. I don't think we should be that surprised by this move and I don't think fault needs to be found. 

I'll be very surprised if he is claimed. Pretty much all clubs have multiple players like Duehr in their system. 

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Not really. They could have someone up from the A pretty quick if they needed someone. I agree they likely won't want to run with 12 for long though. 

Why not send down a D? They can't. Gilbert is heading to IR (and is hurt) so they are running at 6. Kylington's LTIR conditioning loan "should" be coming to an end soon but could be flipped to a regular conditioning loan but that would require him to go on the active roster. That would be where this move could be related to Kylington.

But it was me speculating. Looks like Gilbert went on IR shortly after they put Duehr on waivers. 

I didn't see the move to IR until just a few minutes ago.

He was skating and I assumed he was close to a return.

What you are saying about Kylingtonb does make sense.

Will probably know tomorrow if that's the case.

Wranglers are on the road for Friday and Saturday games.

Palm Desert then Bakersfield.

They probably hit the road Thursday.

6 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Looks like Klapka got the nod; recalled today.

Was it Sak that predicted it or MP or Robrob?

21 hours ago, sak22 said:

With the Wranglers in California this weekend I imagine a callup will happen tomorrow.  My guess would be Klapka.

I will never miss out on an opportunity to gloat.  I like Klapka, good to see him get the call.

40 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Looks like Klapka got the nod; recalled today.

Was it Sak that predicted it or MP or Robrob?

23 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I will never miss out on an opportunity to gloat.  I like Klapka, good to see him get the call.

it was definitely ME! I love gloating too! 

Naaa it wasn't me

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

46 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

it was definitely ME! I love gloating too! 

Naaa it wasn't me

Good to see another kid getting the chance.

But, for him to sit after not playing since last week?

I think his size would benefit the 4th line on RW.

Dube is getting crushed the way that line tends to play.

As much as I prefer skill over size, Dube offers little of either right now.

I hate dumping on the player but he is not doing anything for us.

He can be a good PK'er, but I have seen lots of goals with him and Mange out there.

5 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Good to see another kid getting the chance.

But, for him to sit after not playing since last week?

I think his size would benefit the 4th line on RW.

Dube is getting crushed the way that line tends to play.

As much as I prefer skill over size, Dube offers little of either right now.

I hate dumping on the player but he is not doing anything for us.

He can be a good PK'er, but I have seen lots of goals with him and Mange out there.

Thats also usage. My bet is they kill penalties better apart than together. 

all speculation, but could the Team Canada thing be affecting him? 

39 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Thats also usage. My bet is they kill penalties better apart than together. 

all speculation, but could the Team Canada thing be affecting him? 

Well, if you can tie the TSN reporting to the timing of his slump, then maybe.

I don't buy into that though.  He plays the same level every game.

He just seems to have no touch with the puck.

He has played in every situation and line and has done very little.

Maybe my expectations are too high and he is what he is.

In my view, not producing for a $2.3M salary.

Ruzie and Greer have better points per $.