2023/24 Roster/Lines

conundrumed

10 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Read that a few minutes ago.  It makes sense.  Not sure why they love Gilbert so much.  He hasn't gone through waivers at all, but I think DeSimone is better.  Not that it matters much, they only play 12 minutes.

See I think Gilbert is better than DeSimone. I find DeSimone is too prone to turnovers for a 6/7. Gilbert doesn’t do anything too fancy but he plays his role.

13 hours ago, robrob74 said:

maybe their cap guy is figuring out ways to save cap? When they can send guys down, maybe they're realizing they can accrue space in the long run if they need to add or add contracts that equate to ones we trade out and more?

Flames are currently using LTIR and once you are using LTIR you no longer accrue cap space. Sending down DeSimone doesn't change their need for LTIR. 

10 hours ago, JTech780 said:

If he was on the roster any longer he would have needed waivers to go down. Also they are at home for the next 6 games, so they don’t really need to carry an extra defenseman.

Does the 30 days thing expire or is it frozen in time until he comes back?  In other words, if they call him back uup next month, does he get another 30 days and 10 games?

With the Flames having some available LTIR doing them no good at all, and the PP sputtering to 1 goal in 10 games, or 1 in 29 PP's, does it make sense to bring up Coronato for a few games while he is playing decent?  The argument against it is that you can't yoyo him up and down to fit short term needs.  

If we were to do that, you have to at the very least sit out Dube or Greer.  Ruzicka may have tailed off after his injury, but he is a better C in my mind.  Better as in bigger and able to control the middle of the ice a bit better.  Dube is well rounded but not really great in any one aspect.  Greer is tied with Dube in points having played an average of 3 minutes less per game.

IOt's a tough call.  Coronato would add some threats to a stale PP, but you would need to play him on the 4th line otherwise.  Our 4th line has been better at forechecking but struggles with extended time in the D-zone.  I'm not sure of the risk/reward of playing Coronato 11 minutes or less.

#FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png powerplay units this morning:

Kadri, Huberdeau, Lindholm, Sharangovich, and Hanifin.
Backlund, Mangiapane, Zary, Ruzicka, and Weegar.

#FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png tonight vs. Vegas:

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Sharangovich
Zary-Kadri-Pospisil
Huberdeau-Backlund-Coleman
Greer-Ruzicka-Dube  

Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Gilbert-Zadorov

Markstrom

Jakob Pelletier and Kevin Rooney now have stalls in the #FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png locker-room, a sign that both are back on skates as they recover from shoulder injuries.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Hopefully this means Pelletier is close to returning. Could really use his speed and energy in the lineup.

Also have to wonder how much longer Duehr stays on the roster.

Yes, I was wondering about that myself.  I would think that Rooney may be a waiver victim if both he and Pelletier are ready at the same time.  He has never looked good in a Flames uni.  It's cost like $350k to just send him down, but you can save almost $500k by using a cheaper player.  But Pelletier can be sent down to "tune up" before starting back in the NHL.  I think it would be prudent to do so.

Duehr showed his speed early on, but his play dropped off.

#FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png coach Huska says Pelletier/Rooney are “progressing real well.” “They’re going to be a while still. Today was the first time we’ve seen them on the ice — they were going through some skill drills ... They have a long way to go yet but everything has been positive so far.”

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Hopefully this means Pelletier is close to returning. Could really use his speed and energy in the lineup.

Also have to wonder how much longer Duehr stays on the roster.

I certainly didn't expect the type of production you saw last year from Duehr but I at least thought they have found some energy, speed and fore checking for their bottom 6. Been really surprised to see him go away from that, but he's got to get back to it if he wants to stay. 

Not sure they'd waive him at this point though. 

13 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I certainly didn't expect the type of production you saw last year from Duehr but I at least thought they have found some energy, speed and fore checking for their bottom 6. Been really surprised to see him go away from that, but he's got to get back to it if he wants to stay. 

Not sure they'd waive him at this point though. 

Someone has to go when Pelletier is ready to come back, and Coronato is going to force his way back into the lineup sooner or later.

Right now I would rather keep Greer than Duehr.

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Someone has to go when Pelletier is ready to come back, and Coronato is going to force his way back into the lineup sooner or later.

Well, we have 13F, so we have an extra roster spot.  The cap becomes more of an issue.  Rooney allowing for $1.3M in cap relief.  When he and Pelletier both come off, we have only $2.5M of relief.  With Pelletier only adding $400k to it, I'm not sure what sending Rooney down ($300k approx dead cap) would do.

In general sense, I would keep Duehr over Rooney.  Rooney's best season if well below Duehr's.  I doubt Rooney gets claimed, but it's possible Duehr would.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Short term, maybe but think i'd rather keep Duehr around given he's under contract next year too. 

They have time to make that decision though because I think Pelletier is probably a month or more away and that's getting closer to the TDL there too. 

If they feel they can waive him and he'd clear then NP. I'm not sure he would though. 

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:
#FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png powerplay units this morning:

Kadri, Huberdeau, Lindholm, Sharangovich, and Hanifin.
Backlund, Mangiapane, Zary, Ruzicka, and Weegar.

I was sure it wasn't just me/us that Andersson has looked awful on the PP. I'm sure it's being caught on tape by opposing coaches as well. He's just completely indecisive so they're pressuring him more imo. Too many mistakes going on with him. Holding the puck too long to find the shot, holding the line with too much risk, shot/pass decision-making is off the rails, pretty much the whole kettle of fish. Literally just stand in the middle. As soon as you get the puck, put it on/near net through traffic or pass it and be ready if it comes back to repeat. Way overthinking it drifting with the puck all of the time. Teams can key in on you holding the puck too long. Mix it up.

Hopefully Hanifin/Weegar just move the darn biscuit. Can't have PPs where the majority of your guys barely get touches.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I was sure it wasn't just me/us that Andersson has looked awful on the PP. I'm sure it's being caught on tape by opposing coaches as well. He's just completely indecisive so they're pressuring him more imo. Too many mistakes going on with him. Holding the puck too long to find the shot, holding the line with too much risk, shot/pass decision-making is off the rails, pretty much the whole kettle of fish. Literally just stand in the middle. As soon as you get the puck, put it on/near net through traffic or pass it and be ready if it comes back to repeat. Way overthinking it drifting with the puck all of the time. Teams can key in on you holding the puck too long. Mix it up.

Hopefully Hanifin/Weegar just move the darn biscuit. Can't have PPs where the majority of your guys barely get touches.

The passing looked like a V or at best a U.  No thought to getting it down low, or encroaching on the defenders with control.  The only movement of players is a switching off between Ras and Lindholm.  Brilliant.  It's not like that keeps the play down low, it just goes back to the point.

Hanifin isn't a lot better, but he will at least do more than just pass.  He doesn't hold the line well. 

Weegar is much more creative.  I think he anticipates better.  He will shoot.  We do need guys in close.  Maybe that's where Kadri should hang out.  Be the Tkachuk.  But Holy Hanna, can you get Huberdeau away from being the QB?  He's seeing things that aren't there.  If you are passing to the slot, you best be on the goal line doing it.  Otherwise, you risk the play going the other way and you have one D there.

The so-called top unit is about the same with one or two guys swapped in or out.  I like the look of the 2nd unit.  I would almost swap Backlund with Lindholm.  Maybe more deadly (a little deadly) that way.  

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

He doesn't hold the line well. 

I view it more as he doesn't risk the line. It bothers me sometimes when he looks too conservative, but it's a better philosophy on the whole. Maybe you'll win that puck, but it's a Satoshi Nakamotoshow if you don't. Better off to just regroup.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I view it more as he doesn't risk the line. It bothers me sometimes when he looks too conservative, but it's a better philosophy on the whole. Maybe you'll win that puck, but it's a Satoshi Nakamotoshow if you don't. Better off to just regroup.

I have seen a lot of not doing anything with it.  Not risking it, but getting burned anyway.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:
#FlamesNHL_Flames_2023.png projected tonight vs. Dallas:

Mangiapane-Lindholm-Sharangovich
Zary-Kadri-Pospisil
Huberdeau-Backlund-Coleman
Greer-Ruzicka-Dube  

Weegar-Andersson
Hanifin-Tanev
Gilbert-Zadorov

Markstrom

I get we are trying to win in the face of adversity and make the playoffs. I would try sit Tanev to get to a deal otherwise he just might get injured before a deal is done. We came close recently. 

3 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

I get we are trying to win in the face of adversity and make the playoffs. I would try sit Tanev to get to a deal otherwise he just might get injured before a deal is done. We came close recently. 

I wasn't under the impression we were moving Tanev.  If we are, you really only sit the guy on the cusp of a deal.  Like you are really close and just finalizing the stuff, including getting NHL approval.  Sitting players have zero value to the team otherwise.

I get what you are saying.  I can't really think of an equivalent player that sat for days waiting for a deal, other than maybe Chychrun.  That was a much different case.  At TDL for one thing.

25 minutes ago, robrob74 said:

Its a risk with anyone.  Wasn't anything upper or lower body, not concussed, no broken bones to the face, don't see the problem, he was already ugly when he got here.  Sitting him shows there is urgency to get rid of him, when a seller is desperate the buyer can take advantage of that, sit him for 3 months and you probably lose interest all together, and get a horrible reputation from players and agents. 

35 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I wasn't under the impression we were moving Tanev.  If we are, you really only sit the guy on the cusp of a deal.  Like you are really close and just finalizing the stuff, including getting NHL approval.  Sitting players have zero value to the team otherwise.

I get what you are saying.  I can't really think of an equivalent player that sat for days waiting for a deal, other than maybe Chychrun.  That was a much different case.  At TDL for one thing.

I thought all of our going to be UFA's were in play... He's been in discussions around not being here next year. I think all have been in discussions and don't understand why you have those impressions?