V1nny83at5

I am dedicating this thread to writing pretend letters to Flames management giving them suggestions to make trades to start the new Flames culture (also may be passive aggressive sometimes). 

Here is my first Capfriendly Armchair GM trade proposals. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4435506

Comment down below your own trade proposals or any other offseason moves you demand Conroy to do. You can share your Armchair GM Flames teams as well

No matter how hard I try, I can't find a Hanifin trade. Minny would be a good fit, but what do we expect back? Another dman? Middleton, Merrill are maybe the options. Now what? They aren't giving up Rossi or Faber. Would they part with a 1st or a 2nd & 3rd?

Anaheim is laughing you off of the phone with that trade. Do you want Ryan Strome? They're rebuilding. Young assets and picks are the last thing that they're trading.

That Lindholm trade looks like we're actually trading for Brouwer this time.

Both players have 1 year remaining. Returns are not going to be awesome by any stretch.

But anything that Blockchains off with the Nylander talk I enjoy reading. I want zero part of Nylander.

Anyone else noticing BT is playing high stakes poker? He's well over the cap, he's added about $16mil in contracts, and he hasn't re-signed Samsonov yet.

Can Samsonov be offer-sheeted? Asking for a friend in Buffalo. Force them into $6 or Matt Murray. Never mind, I see he's filed for arb. Idiot.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Anyone else noticing BT is playing high stakes poker? He's well over the cap, he's added about $16mil in contracts, and he hasn't re-signed Samsonov yet.

I'd say don't worry, he has a plan.  But if he does, it's a first.    Not even kidding, would he do a trade with us for cap relief?  For picks?

Would love to be on the other side of one of those Monahan trades.  Get Hanifin in on that.

11 hours ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

Im quite pleased with what he has does thus far

TBH I'm not sure if that comment was sarcasm, because I sure ain't please with Conroy's GM'ing so far. BTW, I've created an alternate (part 2) of my Armchair GM team. Please check and comment on it if you want: https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4436614

9 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I hate it when people are optimistic

I will gladly oblige. I don't like the 3M he got. I'd have been ok with 2.75. Not much savings, but every little bit helps and adds up at the deadline if we are buyers.

3 hours ago, jjgallow said:

I'd say don't worry, he has a plan.  But if he does, it's a first.    Not even kidding, would he do a trade with us for cap relief?  For picks?

Would love to be on the other side of one of those Monahan trades.  Get Hanifin in on that.

We don't have any cap space to relieve anyone.lol

Our problems are many-fold.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We don't have any cap space to relieve anyone.lol

Our problems are many-fold.

it's why I think we might have to look at a team that is close to competing coming out of a rebuild. Maybe a pick for Hanifin is the 2025 1st for a Chicago. Maybe it's a young depth prospect and a 1st. Or if it is two 1sts, it is 2025 & 26. But trading him to a US team coming out of a build can be good. 

Maybe getting a Bedard, they'd want to get some decent players sooner rather than later. Hanifin could be inclined to sign their longer term. 

That leaves us with some salary cap to work with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, robrob74 said:

I will gladly oblige. I don't like the 3M he got. I'd have been ok with 2.75. Not much savings, but every little bit helps and adds up at the deadline if we are buyers.

it is a risk, and I like risks like these.  younger player with size, came off and absolutely aweful year.  Was otherwise projecting for 30-35 goal season, instead got his minutes cut to nothing on a team deep with LWs.

I am in the optimistic camp here, as @Heartbreaker would say.   I am thinking he's an upgrade, most likely for two combining reasons:

1.  Toffoli came off a huge season he will likely never repeat at his age

2.  Sharangovich came off an aweful season but still produced well per minute played.  Just entering his prime.

• Like 1

This year is turning into the year of little returns.

You could say you got a haul for Debrincat.  

If you are trying to sell that to the fans.

It seems very par for the course.

Nylander won't get what the TO fans think he is worth.

Hanifin is not worth what others have got for similar players.

This year.

Really, the only way we are getting par value for Hanifin is to trade for a similar status player.

One with little term or one that is a high cost.

If we are offering Hanifin + Backlund (at 50%) for Willie Nee, Toronto should start the car.

If we offered Philly Hanifin for Konecny, they should start the car.

Nothing is worth anything this year.

10 minutes ago, V1nny83at5 said:

My third attempt at an armchair GM Flames team. This is a package trade of Lindholm and Hanifin to Boston. https://www.capfriendly.com/armchair-gm/team/4439849

That sounds really bad.

We get 2 pending UFA's.

And a RFA goalie same size as Wolf that is not exactly lighting it up.

For that we give up a top C, a top D and a 3rd.

I would do Backlund for Debrusk and promptly trade him at TDL.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

That sounds really bad.

We get 2 pending UFA's.

And a RFA goalie same size as Wolf that is not exactly lighting it up.

For that we give up a top C, a top D and a 3rd.

Well, let's consider the Toffoli for Sharangovich model for bad Conroy trades. We might as well get hosed now than let them go for nothing. The people we get back will not be part of our long term future but it's better than just holding on to Lindholm and Hanifin until they leave for nothing. After all, finding players who want to play to Calgary will take years maybe even decades to accomplish. So let's just get rid of the old guard ASAP. Gotta rid ourselves of the Treliving stench immediately.

43 minutes ago, V1nny83at5 said:

Well, let's consider the Toffoli for Sharangovich model for bad Conroy trades. We might as well get hosed now than let them go for nothing. The people we get back will not be part of our long term future but it's better than just holding on to Lindholm and Hanifin until they leave for nothing. After all, finding players who want to play to Calgary will take years maybe even decades to accomplish. So let's just get rid of the old guard ASAP. Gotta rid ourselves of the Treliving stench immediately.

You mean like the Taylor Hall and Riley Smith trades?

Vegas can't afford RS.

Hall was a cap dump.

Toffoli was a trade because we can't afford him next season, not for what he would ask for.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

we can't afford him next season

BINGO. Yes the simple fact is both Lindholm and Hanifin are gonna be too expensive or ask too much than what the Flames are willing (also probably cap/financially unable) to pay for. Also Hanifin is alerting us about wanting to leave for the states. Lindholm continues to be hesitant about wanting to commit to Calgary. A light bulb should shine in Conroy's head that these 2 are not part of his plans of a team of players who want to play for the Flames. Better give up the fight, relinquish your assets, let the future of darkness settle in. The old failures need to leave. Let's try to build something better this time.

Conroy only has a handful of moves he can make

• Trade Hanafin: I am surprised this one hasn't happened yet.  I still think this one gets done before the season, but that is far from certain.  There aren't a lot of shoes to drop yet, so my guess is things stay quiet until camp.  
  • Trade (or Extend) Lindholm: They are trying to extend him.  With the Flames uncertain future and the potential increase to the cap there is a good chance that Lindholm isn't going to sign an extension in the summer.  That puts Conroy in a tough spot since it has a big impact on our ability to be competitive and our cap situation.  I think Backlund, Zadorov, etc are all on hold until Lindholm's future is determined.  
  • Trade Vladar: From the sounds of it the Flames want a big offer or they will hold on to him.   I think that is a mistake.  Wolf is ready for the NHL and I am not a big fan of Vladar, particularly with his contract.  But the Flames seem to like him.  Its possible a team needs a goalie in camp, but my guess is Vladar starts the season with the Flames.  
  • Add depth: The Flames have a bunch of NHL ready prospects at forward and D is pretty set.  I expect there will be a bunch of invites and maybe some depth 2-way signings, but that won't happen until camp.  

The Flames don't have the assets or cap to do much else, and the uncertainty on Lindholm and Hanafin have everything else on hold.  Its the dog days for a reason.  Most teams have their rosters and cap profiles penciled in.  

I know only so much is in his control, but I think Conroy dropped the ball this summer.  He simply has too much on his plate and he needed to clear some of it during draft/free agency.  Even when things open up during camp, there is a limited market.  Free agency is the next big opportunity, but unless the Flames are unexpectedly poor next season they aren't going to be trading Lindholm, Hanafin, Backlund, Zadorov, and Tanev at the deadline.  Even if they are well outside the playoffs, there are only so many moves they can make.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kehatch said:

I know only so much is in his control, but I think Conroy dropped the ball this summer.  He simply has too much on his plate and he needed to clear some of it during draft/free agency.  Even when things open up during camp, there is a limited market.  Free agency is the next big opportunity, but unless the Flames are unexpectedly poor next season they aren't going to be trading Lindholm, Hanafin, Backlund, Zadorov, and Tanev at the deadline.  Even if they are well outside the playoffs, there are only so many moves they can make.  

Here's the thing, we must trade all the pending UFA's so we don't lost them for nothing, I get it, but what is never considered is why teams are giving up great assets to inherit that problem.  You need a) a team that feels they are that player away from the cup, or b) the ability to talk extension now, which the players might not want to do.  Last summer only 3 players that I would consider marquee players were traded that were a year away from UFA, all of them went in the same trade, this year was 2 and both were RFA's who had a lot of power, returns in both are a little underwhelming.  I don't find the problem is Conroy, the problem is the expectations.  I find Hanifin right now is the perfect example, if he had interest in resigning this summer the whole fanbase would be focused on why he doesn't deserve $x for a contract or x for term, we would be all over his flaws.  But now that we expect a trade, he is a good 2 way defenseman, great skater can play any role, former top 5 pick who still has upside easily worth a 1st +.  We have to feel that other teams notice areas about the player which the fans don't like,  So I don't get the rush for a Regehr v.2 trade. 

• Haha 1

I think it's unfair to put this on Conroy. He walked into a bad situation, one that isn't getting better and one that is almost entirely out of his control. 

If he had traded Hanifin by now i'm willing to bet there be even more angst around the return he got then the frustration that he has done nothing. 

• Like 2