Free Agent Frenzy

conundrumed

Considering the short term deals for some of the top guys, I wonder if Tarasenko is going to sign a one year deal to hold until next summer.  I think the idea if we can use it for trade purposes.  He's getting up there but can still score.  Only worth keeping if he kills it for us and would sign an extension for 3 years at lower than expected cost.  I doubt he does that.  Even a one year extension would benefit him.  Two years and the cap really jumps.

Pipe dream.  The best idea is to target under 30, or under 25 just hitting their stride.  We should be moving out guys like Mangiapane and getting guys that can elevate their game.  And don't fall every shift.  He's a re-signing problem in a few years so why not get rid of him now.

Another angle on the Phillips situation:

If he had stayed, he likely would have spent most of his time in the AHL.   We have some young legitimate forward prospects under the age of 22 coming up that will need AHL ice time to develop.   Phillips ate up all that ice time and in some cases prevented certain guys from developing imho.  

Guys that we need to get minutes, are going to get minutes now.   A bit of a harsh take, but at least some truth to it.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

Another angle on the Phillips situation:

If he had stayed, he likely would have spent most of his time in the AHL.   We have some young legitimate forward prospects under the age of 22 coming up that will need AHL ice time to develop.   Phillips ate up all that ice time and in some cases prevented certain guys from developing imho.  

Guys that we need to get minutes, are going to get minutes now.   A bit of a harsh take, but at least some truth to it.

I agree. The Phillips saga is over and there is no saying he would have worked out. He got a 1 way so I'm happy for him.

This horse has been beaten to death.

He didn't get a real chance, I get it. But the difference in impact to the 4th line between him and Pelletier was clear.

Pelletier was immediate, Phillips was just kinda there. For the record, I never champion players that "need" top 6 to succeed. For me, that just screams learn how to play defence. This isn't 1982,

It's the reason that the DeBrincat to Detroit rumours worried me. Really happy that went south.

I'm reading articles about how the Flames lost out in the FA market and it makes me chuckle a little.

First of all, we have a cap issues so not sure how people were shocked.

Secondly, most of the teams who "won" either:
1.  Took on absolutely aweful contracts

2.  Took on players with huge on-ice and/or off-ice warts

In a lot of cases, they did both #1 and #2.

Not participating that brings us one step closer to where we need to be imho.  From a long-term perspective, I am quite happy we stayed out of it.    And even from a short-term perspective, I think this sets us up to give our prospects a chance, maybe some overlooked guys, maybe some Europeans, maybe some PTOs.   

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting a rough year but I think this is one of the cases where "no move is the best move".  

4 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I'm reading articles about how the Flames lost out in the FA market and it makes me chuckle a little.

First of all, we have a cap issues so not sure how people were shocked.

Secondly, most of the teams who "won" either:
1.  Took on absolutely aweful contracts

2.  Took on players with huge on-ice and/or off-ice warts

In a lot of cases, they did both #1 and #2.

Not participating that brings us one step closer to where we need to be imho.  From a long-term perspective, I am quite happy we stayed out of it.    And even from a short-term perspective, I think this sets us up to give our prospects a chance, maybe some overlooked guys, maybe some Europeans, maybe some PTOs.   

Don't get me wrong, I'm expecting a rough year but I think this is one of the cases where "no move is the best move".  

Yups.  We win by not participating.  July 1st is where GMs make the biggest mistakes.  Now that the initial fomo has subsided and UFAs begin to run out of destinations, it's soon time to low ball the remaining UFAs and grab some great deals for cheap.

3 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Yups.  We win by not participating.  July 1st is where GMs make the biggest mistakes.  Now that the initial fomo has subsided and UFAs begin to run out of destinations, it's soon time to low ball the remaining UFAs and grab some great deals for cheap.

yup

This is an all time bad FA class. Been a few bargain signings but that's mostly a reflection of the fact that most teams don't have the cap room to sign players as aggressively as they would in the past. 

I think the Flames need more the bargain signing route anyway so this class fits what they should be doing. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jjgallow said:

good signing

sounds like your kind of signing.

it is a good gamble on an undrafted player with room to grow. Coming from the pandemic, it'll be interesting to see if we can capitalize on undrafted gems. We need better pro scouts to find those...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

This is an all time bad FA class. Been a few bargain signings but that's mostly a reflection of the fact that most teams don't have the cap room to sign players as aggressively as they would in the past. 

I think the Flames need more the bargain signing route anyway so this class fits what they should be doing. 

We definitely need to add depth. I think our depth is currently looking downright depleted.

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

We definitely need to add depth. I think our depth is currently looking downright depleted.

As you recall there was a pretty strong class of 19 year olds at the draft this year and a lot never got drafted.  Probably not what you had in mind for depth but I would love to see a handful of them on PTO.  We have the contract room right now.

Maybe a few PTOs out of Europe too.

Fingers crossed the salary restrictions forces some of the unconventional moves I like to see lol

14 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Just play the kids.  There will be growing pains but play them.  No use having a great AHL team and then don't use the players there.

Yup.   So what we really need is depth in the AHL for callups.

Basically, run the org like it's supposed to be run.   Works best in the long run.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

As you recall there was a pretty strong class of 19 year olds at the draft this year and a lot never got drafted.  Probably not what you had in mind for depth but I would love to see a handful of them on PTO.  We have the contract room right now.

Maybe a few PTOs out of Europe too.

Fingers crossed the salary restrictions forces some of the unconventional moves I like to see lol

So, the only players that were passed over in the draft eligible for PTO signings are 20 year olds.

2 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, the only players that were passed over in the draft eligible for PTO signings are 20 year olds.

I confused.

So, as an example...  Oliver Tulk....  what was the motivation for inviting him?  Can we sign him if he plays well?

19 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

I confused.

So, as an example...  Oliver Tulk....  what was the motivation for inviting him?  Can we sign him if he plays well?

I dunno.  I guess there are players signed a couple of years after they first get invited to a dev camp.

This guy is young enough to go back to junior club and then come back to the draft next year.

Couldn't play in the AHL this year.

Players that go undrafted in their first year of eligibility are eligible to sign ELCs as undrafted players. The catch is that you have to offer them a full standard ELC and you have to do so before they get re assigned to junior. Once they are back in junior they are no longer eligible for a contract and need to go through the draft again. 

So in Tulk's case yes you can but it's a 3 year ELC. So you are committing to him for 5 years (including 2 slide years)

A true undrafted player (ie no more draft eligibility) can sign PTOs in order to bring them to camp later. 

In the vast majority of cases the teams are just trying to build a relationship with the player that benefits them later. Like in Connor Mackey's case where the Flames got a leg up because they brought him to camp. 

54 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I dunno.  I guess there are players signed a couple of years after they first get invited to a dev camp.

This guy is young enough to go back to junior club and then come back to the draft next year.

Couldn't play in the AHL this year.

39 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Players that go undrafted in their first year of eligibility are eligible to sign ELCs as undrafted players. The catch is that you have to offer them a full standard ELC and you have to do so before they get re assigned to junior. Once they are back in junior they are no longer eligible for a contract and need to go through the draft again. 

So in Tulk's case yes you can but it's a 3 year ELC. So you are committing to him for 5 years (including 2 slide years)

A true undrafted player (ie no more draft eligibility) can sign PTOs in order to bring them to camp later. 

In the vast majority of cases the teams are just trying to build a relationship with the player that benefits them later. Like in Connor Mackey's case where the Flames got a leg up because they brought him to camp. 

Thank you.

Tulk is okay then, yes.   

I'd still like to see more of the top undrafted prospects there though.   

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Thanks for that part.  There are parts that I foget about the CBA that i used to know and prompty forgot.

13 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Just play the kids.  There will be growing pains but play them.  No use having a great AHL team and then don't use the players there.

Wings fans already have the book title:

Filip Zadina: A Cautionary Tale".

Have to do what's best to develop the prospect.

Yzerman again piling in depth to let Johansson, Wallinder, Edvinsson, Mazur, Soderblom, Lombardi etc slow roast if needed. The depth has a bit of trade value if a kid beats them out.

Needing prospects to be your NHL depth isn't a great avenue for their development.

3 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Wings fans already have the book title:

Filip Zadina: A Cautionary Tale".

Have to do what's best to develop the prospect.

Yzerman again piling in depth to let Johansson, Wallinder, Edvinsson, Mazur, Soderblom, Lombardi etc slow roast if needed. The depth has a bit of trade value if a kid beats them out.

Needing prospects to be your NHL depth isn't a great avenue for their development.

Lyle was a good first move to address this, but i'm intrested to see what the Flames do with the Wranglers as well. I think it's safe to assume your losing Pelletier and Duher there, in addition to loss of Philips. 

Dryden Hunt - Zary - Schwindt

Stromgren - Kerins - Klapka

Ciona - Rooney - Bishop

?? - Nikolayev - Pospisil

Poirier - De Simone

Solovyov - Lyle

Kuznetsov - ??

Poolman

That is pretty shallow and putting a lot of pressure on Stromgren/Ciona to be good early. Not to mention, like you suggested, it leaves them in a tough spot with call ups too. I would suspect the Flames are going to want to address this too. 

I know that doesn't account for Ben Jones and Pettersen yet, but I think the point still holds even with them in the fold. 

• Like 1