Mike Vernon - HHOF Class of 2023

sak22

Congrats to Mike, didn't think he'd make it as between the two cups he had plenty of ups and downs and mostly downs in the playoffs, but he was also a crucial piece in both his cup wins.  For the longest time I didn't think he deserved to make it, but with some of the other choices lately he definitely deserves it.

On a side note, this could be the last former Flame we see make it for a while (not counting Jagr).  A case could be made for Kipper and Fleury wasn't getting much traction before he went off the deep end.

6 hours ago, zima said:

Yes 5.9 so why can't Wolf be a winner in the NHL he's 6ft I think we will have another HOF if we don't trade him away like we did with Brossoit I hope they don't give up on him.

To be fair, I doubt that Brossoit will be in the HoF. And they didn't give him up for nothing... that trade included Roman Horak, and brought back Ladislav Smid, and Olivier Roy.

I know that sounds underwhelming, but they did pick up Edmonton's best defenceman in that trade ensuring that the inept Oilers continued to fail for a couple of years. In fact, conspiracy theorists unite - that trade could have led directly to Edmonton drafting McDavid. Damn you, Feaster!

Love.  

• Like 1

One of 2(Jamie Macoun) to have won Cups with both Calgary and Detroit. How can I not love them? I have a picture of both of Macoun's rings on my finger.lol

Now who will be next?

I'm with cross though, I was taken aback by the news.

Fun fact. Detroit traded him to SJ for a '98 3rd and a '99 2nd. They flipped the 2nd to Tampa who selected none other than Sheldon Keefe.

• Like 1

I also am a Little surprised, but let's take the win because let's face it, we've been snubbed in the past, he was always in the top 5 and he's got the cup rings.  It's not completely off the board.

I remember back in my school days teacher asked us all to describe how we saw ourselves using our education in the future.   

One guy was like "I will be in the NHL and probably never use any of this but still thank  you for teaching the class"

Teacher was like "you never know, I have been teaching for a long time.  The last student to tell me that was Mike Vernon".

That guy did end up making it too.

Congrats Mike!  

Yeah I don't think this is completely out of left field at all.  He has been in the discussions before  and with them obviously addressing the lack of goalies in the HoF this makes sense to me.   THe video tribute makes some comepling arguments for his induction and hard not to argue against the Stats, 2 cup rings and a Conn Smythe.  You could also argue that he desreved the Conn Smythe in 89.

19d549d9a342548eadfefb1289b1dabb.png

Pleased for him and the Flames.

• Like 1

This makes me wonder if there is a case to be had for Kipper as a HOFer.

Never won a cup but just like King Henrik (and maybe moreso) I think its indisputable he was one of (if not the) best goalies in the world for a short time.

Won a Vezina and again like Henrik has a SCF appearance to his name.

Have heard Pekka Rinne's name thrown around lately for a future HOF call and imo Kipper is more deserving.

30 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

Never won a cup but just like King Henrik (and maybe moreso) I think its indisputable he was one of (if not the) best goalies in the world for a short time.

Have heard Pekka Rinne's name thrown around lately for a future HOF call and imo Kipper is more deserving.

The potential was definitely there

25 minutes ago, Sarasti said:

The career longevity holds Kipper back, 200 less games than Henrik which amounted to close to 150 less games,  Also playing in the biggest market vs. small western Canadian city, and last in the Henrik vs. Kipper debate is Henrik is a very handsome man, and Kipper is a ginger.

But as far as awards go

Vezina wins/times finalist

Kipper - 1/3

Lundqvist - 1/5

Rinne 1/4

Maybe if one of those Brent Sutter teams made the playoffs he could've landed another Vezina, as I actually think he was better in the Brent years than the Darryl years