2023 Offseason

Thebrewcrew

4 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Treliving.

BT has spent his whole tenure as Flames GM trying to acquire Kadri.  And there's one place Kadri would waive his NTC to go to.  Yes, Toronto.  Kadri never wanted to leave in the first place.  Can we see BT try one last time to acquire Kadri?  He has a Cup... whereas Nylander has zero, for example.

Huberdeau + Weegar was the hill BT died on.  Turns out TOR needs a top line LW and a solid RHS RD.  What a coincidence.  Optically, if we traded Tkachuk for Marner, would that have been a huge win for us?  So what if we had a second chance at that?  Marner for Huberdeau + Weegar.  Just the fact Marner is UFA in two years gives us so much cap flexibility and free us from the cap prison that Huberdeau+ Weegar gives us.  I would add just to make this trade happen.  Forget asking for more from TOR.  We should be happy they don't ask us to eat cap.

TOR will be over the cap but they have a whole summer to sort that out.  TOR wants changes to the "core 4" from what it seems.

The fans and media want changes to the core 4, but it sounds like management really has no appetite to move any of their core 4.

26 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Treliving.

BT has spent his whole tenure as Flames GM trying to acquire Kadri.  And there's one place Kadri would waive his NTC to go to.  Yes, Toronto.  Kadri never wanted to leave in the first place.  Can we see BT try one last time to acquire Kadri?  He has a Cup... whereas Nylander has zero, for example.

Huberdeau + Weegar was the hill BT died on.  Turns out TOR needs a top line LW and a solid RHS RD.  What a coincidence.  Optically, if we traded Tkachuk for Marner, would that have been a huge win for us?  So what if we had a second chance at that?  Marner for Huberdeau + Weegar.  Just the fact Marner is UFA in two years gives us so much cap flexibility and free us from the cap prison that Huberdeau+ Weegar gives us.  I would add just to make this trade happen.  Forget asking for more from TOR.  We should be happy they don't ask us to eat cap.

TOR will be over the cap but they have a whole summer to sort that out.  TOR wants changes to the "core 4" from what it seems.

I think BT was pissed at our Franchize at the end and this is what he did to us Gave away JH pretty much put us in cap space hell with Hubs and weegar who in there right mind would take that mess and put themselves in cap space hell. Plus the way Hubs played last season I doubt anyone would touch that player.

10 hours ago, zima said:

I think BT was pissed at our Franchize at the end and this is what he did to us Gave away JH pretty much put us in cap space hell with Hubs and weegar who in there right mind would take that mess and put themselves in cap space hell. Plus the way Hubs played last season I doubt anyone would touch that player.

You do realize that BT would have needed clearance, potentially even instruction, with those contracts right?

He didn't "give away" Gaudreau.

The facts have been strewn across every thread. It's clearly pointless to repeat them.

Hindsight is 20/20 and the dildo of consequences rarely arrives lubricated.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

You do realize that BT would have needed clearance, potentially even instruction, with those contracts right?

The facts have been strewn across every thread. It's clearly pointless to repeat them.

this is great lol.   I'm learning a lot on here lately.

technically though, he did give Gaudreau away.

You're trying to say he had no choice but to give him away.  Because any such decision would require approval.

maybe.

I don't see how that clears him, I just read it as he failed to come up with a trade good enough to get approved.  And most likely, didn't try until the 11th hour. 

We'll see how Toronto does lol.   He started off by defending himself "I never wanted to trade Tkachuk".   Back when Tkachuk was "the new face of the NHL".  That sure aged well.  Maybe the owners made him say it.

p.s.. don't get me started on how he missed out on Gretzky

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Everyone needs a scapegoat I suppose

But so far many fans, and this board, are pointing at the wrong one. 

2 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

everyone needs hope.   And if you're right, which you might very well be, we have very little hope lol.

Your hope is that Conroy has a particular vision that differs from Treliving and the owners hired him knowing that vision. 

Plus, they've got their arena deal

• Like 1

In the Athelic LeBrun mentions that Hanifin doesn't want to sign long term in Calgary and will most likely be traded. A couple of teams I could see having interest in Hanifin are:

Washington: They took a step back last year, but still have Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov. They could use a top 4 defenseman. Key assets: 1st (2023-2025) 2nd (2023, 2025x3), Hendrix Lapierre, Connor McMichael, Ivan Miroshnichenko.

Minnesota: They have a hole in their top 4, Hanifin fits their age group. Key assets: 1st (2023-2025) 2nd (2023x2, 2024-2025), Liam Ohgren, Marco Rossi, Caedan Bankier, Carson Lambos, Brock Faber, Jesper Wallstedt, Daila Yurov, Jack Peart, Marat Khusnutdinov.

Florida: Again they are short a LD for their top 4, Hanifin would be a good fit. Key assets: 2nd (2023, 2025), Mackie Samoskevich.

Pittsburgh: Probably need more help up front then on the back end, but they could still use another top 4. Key assets: 1st (2023-2025), 2nd (2024-2025), P.O. Olivier, Samuel Poulin, Owen Pickering, Ty Smith.

Detroit: Their defense is looking pretty shallow, they could use Hanifin to solidify their back end. Key assets: 1st (2023x2, 2024x2, 2025) 2nd (2023x3, 2024-2025), Filip Zadina, Joseph Veleno, William Wallinder, Simon Edvinsson, Antti Tuomisto, Donovan Sebrango, Sebastian Cossa, Shai Buium, Dmitri Buchelnikov, 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

In the Athelic LeBrun mentions that Hanifin doesn't want to sign long term in Calgary and will most likely be traded. A couple of teams I could see having interest in Hanifin are:

Washington: They took a step back last year, but still have Ovechkin, Backstrom and Kuznetsov. They could use a top 4 defenseman. Key assets: 1st (2023-2025) 2nd (2023, 2025x3), Hendrix Lapierre, Connor McMichael, Ivan Miroshnichenko.

Minnesota: They have a hole in their top 4, Hanifin fits their age group. Key assets: 1st (2023-2025) 2nd (2023x2, 2024-2025), Liam Ohgren, Marco Rossi, Caedan Bankier, Carson Lambos, Brock Faber, Jesper Wallstedt, Daila Yurov, Jack Peart, Marat Khusnutdinov.

Florida: Again they are short a LD for their top 4, Hanifin would be a good fit. Key assets: 2nd (2023, 2025), Mackie Samoskevich.

Pittsburgh: Probably need more help up front then on the back end, but they could still use another top 4. Key assets: 1st (2023-2025), 2nd (2024-2025), P.O. Olivier, Samuel Poulin, Owen Pickering, Ty Smith.

Detroit: Their defense is looking pretty shallow, they could use Hanifin to solidify their back end. Key assets: 1st (2023x2, 2024x2, 2025) 2nd (2023x3, 2024-2025), Filip Zadina, Joseph Veleno, William Wallinder, Simon Edvinsson, Antti Tuomisto, Donovan Sebrango, Sebastian Cossa, Shai Buium, Dmitri Buchelnikov, 

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

Bruv come on.  You know how this works.

We going to trade Hanifin for a 30/31 year old with 4+ years left.  We want to win right away right?

2 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Bruv come on.  You know how this works.

We going to trade Hanifin for a 30/31 year old with 4+ years left.  We want to win right away right?

Hanifin to Washington for a package including McMichael is a deal I can get behind. McMichael is a guy who can step into the lineup next year, and if we lose Lindholm or Backlund he can take a top 9 center job.

6 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Do we want to lose a Weegar trade today so we dont have to experience this kind of buyout in 4 years?

Except Weegar is a much better player than OEL is and was at the time of trade to the Canucks. 

I think Weegar is going to have a massive year next year under Huska.

5 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Except Weegar is a much better player than OEL is and was at the time of trade to the Canucks. 

I think Weegar is going to have a massive year next year under Huska.

Keep him for one more year max, IMO.  At some point, we need to sell high.  Otherwise, no one will want him in 4-years with 4-more to go.

Think the Flames do a mix of buying and selling this offseason.

It sounds like they are going to move Hanifin. My preferred destination would be Pittsburgh. Get the 14th pick, Joseph and a future pick. Joseph is signed for 825k, which is a pretty good bargain. Not all that interested in Samuel Poulin. 

Then I think they move Vladar. I would hope for a 3rd, but there are a ton of goalies available. Might be a 4th.

If they can sign Lindholm, I think they'll be adding to improve the roster. Could see them signing a Ryan Graves, if/when a Hanifin deal happens.

NYR are in win-now mode. They fired Gallant after two really good years. Ownership is very impatient. They hored Lavy.  That's a win-now move. They have arguably the best goalie in the world at the peak of his powers. At a steal for two more years. Time to maximize this window.

They're not that deep at LD. Miller and Lindgren. They could use Hanifin.

The question is, could the Flames get Lafreniere? On one hand, that's a recent 1st overall pick. On the other, it's a player with 91pts in 216 games. If Lafreniere was a 22nd overall pick, I'm sure it's a no-brainer from NY. 

Whether or not they can get Lafreniere doesn't matter, but that's the type of player the Flames should target. Untapped potential.

16 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

NYR are in win-now mode. They fired Gallant after two really good years. Ownership is very impatient. They hored Lavy.  That's a win-now move. They have arguably the best goalie in the world at the peak of his powers. At a steal for two more years. Time to maximize this window.

The question is, could the Flames get Lafreniere? On one hand, that's a recent 1st overall pick. On the other, it's a player with 91pts in 216 games. If Lafreniere was a 22nd overall pick, I'm sure it's a no-brainer from NY. 

Whether or not they can get Lafreniere doesn't matter, but that's the type of player the Flames should target. Untapped potential.

I could actually see this potentially working but Lafreniere’s cap hit isn’t too bad so maybe NY would rather move someone else. If he turns out like Bennett would we complain?

5 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Think the Flames do a mix of buying and selling this offseason.

It sounds like they are going to move Hanifin. My preferred destination would be Pittsburgh. Get the 14th pick, Joseph and a future pick. Joseph is signed for 825k, which is a pretty good bargain. Not all that interested in Samuel Poulin. 

Then I think they move Vladar. I would hope for a 3rd, but there are a ton of goalies available. Might be a 4th.

If they can sign Lindholm, I think they'll be adding to improve the roster. Could see them signing a Ryan Graves, if/when a Hanifin deal happens.

The Pittsburgh deal isn’t too bad. Joseph could play right away and the 14th is a good pick. Would it work cap wise for Pittsburgh? I think they would be all over this.

I thought this as well about Graves if Hanifin was moved. You might get a LATE second or maybe a 3rd for Vladar. I believe we got a second for Reto Berra years ago but a 3rd is probably more accurate.

Philly may be interested if they bought out Petersen. Would you turn around and move the 14th from Pittsburgh or our 16th with Vladar and a second for Konecny? I remember someone saying he lives here.

8 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I see Laffy kinda like Nolan Patrick; not really a top 2 player in the draft but rated that way.  I think he has a lot more to give but I think they rushed him to the NHL without some growth in the AHL first.  WOuld I make a trade for him?  Sure.  Would I give up our best asset right now for him?  Questionable.